Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Minkymu wrote:
    the gray man on netflix

i rather enjoyed this tbh, although most of my fun came from spotting the cod multiplayer references, i did enjoy the action
    It was excellent, the fight scenes with lots of fun and Chris Evans looked like he was having the time of his life playing an absolute psychopath
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Whale  As someone who has struggled with weight for decades I looked at this and took the outward presentation as an "approach with caution" notice.

I've always had a fear of losing control. Maybe that fear is what keeps me falling. Anyhow watching this was hard because even though I've little in common with the main character I found myself getting upset and feeling a connection.

Anyone who has binged on food knows that this could have been harder to watch. It held back on that I feel. But that was probably the correct call - we saw enough to get the message, but I doubt anyone who doesn't have a problem with food got it. Brendan Fraser, even under that makeup, conveyed to me why some people overeat. That's where I felt the connection and it was uncomfortable.

This is an adaption of a stage play but only in a few places did it feel stagey. This was a rough ride for me but I'm glad I watched it even though it wrecked me emotionally.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah I had similar feelings.

I am very aware that food is an emotional crutch for me and not in a healthy way at all. A similar level of tragedy leading to depression leading to the same weight gain and shut in lifestyle felt real in a way that someone becoming e.g a heroin addict in a movie wouldn't.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I felt thematic similarities with The Wrestler. Someone who just can't give something up and is a complete fuck up and there's a daughter - that's always going to punch me in the gut.

Food isn't that much of crutch but I get triggered when I'm hungry and I eat so quickly that I overdo it way before my stomach tells my brain it's full. And certain foods will do that. I know what to avoid but every so often....particularly in social situations I end up eating something I know will trigger me later and it can take days to get rid of the cravings.. It's fucking annoying and there's a pile of guilt and shame associated with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ikiru is the original film upon which Living is based (which I watched a few days ago).

The Bill Nighy version is damn close to being a 1:1 remake. All the main scenes are there. The Kurosawa film makes more of the funeral which accounts for its longer runtime. Indeed - the title Living is a translation of Ikiru.

What is striking about watching them both is the comparison between the leads. . At times, Nighy's peformance is an impression, at least vocally, of Takashi Shimuro - a Kurosawa alumni. Shimuro's face has a more youthful and expressive pallette - he can engender an almost childlike quality in the role which gives the Japanese film a different feel - a bit more morose and melodramatic perhaps - but that could be because of the time and the culture - but both films are superb; simultaneously sad, uplifting and sobering.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Reality (2023)

Film adapted from stage where the script is the official transcript of the FBI, and Reality herself, as they try to draw out her guilt in whistleblowing.

Oddly captivating considering the majority is three actors in a single room. Interesting also as the script is fact, word for word, bar the odd moment of redaction.

It could easily have been a chore but its 80 minutes long, well acted and I'd love to see it on stage. Also helped I knew nothing about this case.

[8]

Spree (2020)

Rewatch. One of my favourite recent horror/thrillers and second review of it. Joe Keery is sensational as a fame hungry YouTube wannabe who just goes hell for leather for any form of fame and ends up on a rampage of murder and degeneracy.

Sucker for handheld/PC led kinda footage films (Host, Missing, Deadstream etc). It probably tries too hard to relay its whole danger of social media stock message but I love the ride.

Will not be for everyone and I understand those who hate it.

[8]

• A Street Car Named Desire
    Brando is like Marvel hench in this, people weren't built like that back then, no wonder the women swooned.
  • He's definitely more buff than most wife beaters wandering around wearing a wife beater shouting the name of a drink also known as wife beater.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Stella?
  • If chucking out time at the Spoons was slightly more iconic.

• Been meaning to watch Spree. I think it leaves Netflix soon here so I best get on it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heaven's Gate is Michael Cimino's attempt at an epic Western. Much maligned.  This is the 2'30'' cut currently available on Prime, but I haven't seen any others.

One can see where the money was spent all right - there are some stunning sets and set pieces but I'm not convinced they were needed for the narrative. One remembers The Deer Hunter's seemingly endless wedding sequence though the at times beautiful Harvard graduation day preamble doesn't overstay its welcome.

There's a parade of talent on show here with Kristofferson, Walken and a charming Isabelle Huppert in the leads backed up by a depth of quality (if underused) support with the likes of Sam Waterson, John Hurt, Jeff Bridges and Brad Dourif so the performances kept me watching though I did lag a few times. It's fun spotting the likes of Mickey Rourke in minor roles. 

There's a good story to be told but I'm not sure there's enough of one to hold up the weight of the film's scale and ambition. Some of the Wyoming backgrounds are spectacular and the soundtrack seems engineered (maybe a bit forced) to add to the epic feel (it even has an overture played to a black screen). This is no Searchers, but it just about kept me watching.

There's a battle scene toward the end that had me shouting at the townsfolk whose initial strategy seemed to be to ride around in a circle posing as a shooting gallery. If one was supposed to be rooting for them then perhaps making them suitable fodder for the Darwin awards wasn't the best approach.

It's worth a watch just for the spectacle but I doubt I'd go back - maybe if I had access to a different cut after a decent interval. The original rough cut was 5hrs odd and maybe the big cast gets to be used more in that but that's mini-series territory. The cut I saw is clearly a hatchet job and maybe there was no way of retrieving it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hadn't seen Into the Spiderverse, so watched that with the kids during the week, and then Across at the cinema today. And yeah, good craic. Some bits supremely animated, it's very funky how the art styles shift etc, as well as the comic strip call backs, and yep, in for the next one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    @davyK if you want the 220 minute Directors Cut I can get it for ya.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Might be interested.

• Extraction 2
    Yup, top quality action. Hargrave, Hemsworth and the Russos deliver again.
  • djchump wrote:
    Extraction 2
    Yup, top quality action. Hargrave, Hemsworth and the Russos deliver again.

Looking forward to this one - loved the first one, top drawer action.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK wrote:

Might be interested.

Me too
  • 30. Step Brothers
    Or, one of the most ludicrous comedy films ever made which makes me laugh more than most other films. Superb stuff - watched it with my 14yo and he had an asthma attack he was laughing so much. So many brilliant lines and physical comedy off the charts. 9
  • It's gloriously silly.
  • "Hey Derek, sprechen sie dick?"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Might be interested.

Me too

If you both are DM me. Can sort it whenever.
  • 31. Smile
    The trailer is better than the film. Really shite supernatural horror, with a couple of inventive set pieces surrounded by sea of absolute fucking pish. Starts semi-promising but very quickly descends into an extremely tedious pile of shite, with an ending that is pure shite. 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pity. Fancied that one. But not surprised.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Many Saints of Newark takes a bit long to get going. At first it seems more focussed on letting us see the crew as their younger selves. But it's a handsome production. It could have been better but is enjoyable because it's The Sopranos. It wouldn't really stand on its own merits but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

Good soundtrack and a reminder, should it be needed, of Van Morrison's genius.
  • Gremill wrote:
    31. Smile
    The trailer is better than the film. Really shite supernatural horror, with a couple of inventive set pieces surrounded by sea of absolute fucking pish. Starts semi-promising but very quickly descends into an extremely tedious pile of shite, with an ending that is pure shite. 2

I can't say I agree. I rather enjoyed it. It wasnt great but it was a good couple of hours with some fun scares
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think I may be in a minority, tbf. Most of the reviews out there are generally positive.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    31. Smile

I can't say I agree. I rather enjoyed it. It wasnt great but it was a good couple of hours with some fun scares

Agreed.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Grem is a horror newbie and he already has the right opinions. Absolute Don.
  • 60. Star Wars - A New Hope
    Leaving aside the iconic design and impact this film had, decided to watch it with the daughter to see if it holds up (and given I'm not a huge fan). On the plus side, Lucas was better than I gave him credit after the mess that is the prequels in terms of directing as there is plenty of well done out scenes. The effects still hold up really well (this was the special edition version on Disney + so some touch ups) and it would happily sit among the better Marvel movies.

But thats the thing. Leaving aside its well-earned place in history, this is quite basic and surprisingly slow moving at times. Some scenes are downright am-dram (Uncle Owen scenes). Its still good but while some classics still hold up over time, I dont think Star Wars quite manages to. Its a classic more for what it represents than what it is. 

Daughter did love Darth Vader though.

[7]
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!