Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Babylon

This got mixed reviews on release. I thought it was an absolute triumph. Chaotic, energetic, hilarious. Stunning performances. Goes more sombre as it moves on, reflective. Three hours long and it flew by. The kind of film that isn't made much anymore. Its both a champion of cinema and Hollywood, and an absolute critique of its hideous side.

Sounds, and looks, stunning.

[9]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want to watch this debacle.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its far from a debacle.
  • I didn't think a film of Hotel Babylon would work, but if you enjoyed it.
  • Yeah, I’m down for Babylon. The trailers were fucking ace.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Annihilation. Quality scifi yarn with more than a nod to the novella Roadside Picnic and Tarkovsky's Stalker upon which it is based. It's gorgeously shot and visually it really does take after Stalker in places. The tale has a nod to Solaris too.

It starts out feeling like "5 girls go yomping into the zone" but the casting and script are really strong  - and that "girl movie" feel quickly melts away - I wasn't aware they were all women after a while which is going some with the gorgeous Portman in the lead.  Also - for a party-led story it's unusual not to have an annoying one.  They were all likeable which adds to the sense of peril.

This is one of the better scifi films I've seen in a quite a while. There is a real atmosphere of dread and disorientation here. Excellent stuff.   The only wrinkle is the tell at the end which wasn't necessary.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • SISU

Yes!

Lives up to the trailer and then some. Like a top tier Tarantino.

• 26. Evil Dead (2013)
    Up and down. Some truly shite acting placed alongside some really fucking brutal violence and gore. Not a good film, but at 88 minutes it's a relentless, punishing horror show of carnage that really shows what you can do with a variety of power tools and sharp edges. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • djchump wrote:
    SISU

Yes!

Fuck yes, YES!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Annihilation. Quality scifi yarn with more than a nod to the novella Roadside Picnic and Tarkovsky's Stalker upon which it is based. It's gorgeously shot and visually it really does take after Stalker in places. The tale has a nod to Solaris too.

It starts out feeling like "5 girls go yomping into the zone" but the casting and script are really strong  - and that "girl movie" feel quickly melts away - I wasn't aware they were all women after a while which is going some with the gorgeous Portman in the lead.  Also - for a party-led story it's unusual not to have an annoying one.  They were all likeable which adds to the sense of peril.

This is one of the better scifi films I've seen in a quite a while. There is a real atmosphere of dread and disorientation here. Excellent stuff.   The only wrinkle is the tell at the end which wasn't necessary.

One of my favourite sci-fi films from the last few years. It’s definitely Garland’s own take on VanderMeer’s novel, but crucially he conjures the strangeness and eeriness of the source. If you enjoyed it enough, then the Southern Reach trilogy is well worth checking out. It’s what got me back into reading after a long hiatus.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    SISU

Yes!

Fuck yes, YES!

OMG!! Yes yes and then some. Who doesn’t love watching Nazis die?
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s yer Hackers watched. Objectively it’s bad in every way apart from the soundtrack which is banging. But I still have a soft spot for it. Had to laugh while watching the credits that they had hacker consultants, clearly were stringing along the studio with some major bullshit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    So we’re now doing “From the studio that brought you…” Next it’ll be “From the grip boy who brought you Road to Perdition!”
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That’s yer Hackers watched. Objectively it’s bad in every way apart from the soundtrack which is banging. But I still have a soft spot for it. Had to laugh while watching the credits that they had hacker consultants, clearly were stringing along the studio with some major bullshit.

It’s a brilliant movie. So is Sneakers. Get that rewatched too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I love Sneakers. Bought that for £3 on apple movies a few years ago. It’s a regular watch. Top cast, top movie.
  • Hackers is the good kind of bad.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last Tango in Paris

Has a bit of a reputation this and while this sort of thing is hyped by the producers to sell seats, there is more to this than sensationalism.

Brando is simply brilliant in this. He could make a phone directory compelling, and at times here, it's just as well. It's a film that is unsettling and has a certain unearthly quality to it with shots of figures behind opaque glass a recurring theme. I suspect a rewatch will benefit....but when you have scenes with as charming a young lady as we have in the lead here showing her marvellous breasts and magnificent 70s-style hairy lady-part, it does undermine the grand notions it has. Shoving butter up her arse before an anal borderline rape....was that really necessary to include in this? At times, this makes for uncomfortable viewing in the 2020s....maybe too much for some.

It's beautifully shot and a middle aged Brando looks impossibly good in this too. Too often in film he played characters that didn't really do him justice. It must have been quite a thing to have seen him on stage playing more realistic roles like this. An odd film but there is a powerhouse performance here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Annihilation...........
    One of my favourite sci-fi films from the last few years. It’s definitely Garland’s own take on VanderMeer’s novel, but crucially he conjures the strangeness and eeriness of the source. If you enjoyed it enough, then the Southern Reach trilogy is well worth checking out. It’s what got me back into reading after a long hiatus.

Cheers - will check that out.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Arlington Road

I think this was the first film I was allowed to go to the cinema on my own for, as a 15yo. Seems.to be long forgotten these days but great performances from Bridges and Robbins and a real unease throughout.

Loved it then, love it still.

[8]
  • Arlington Road

I think this was the first film I was allowed to go to the cinema on my own for, as a 15yo. Seems.to be long forgotten these days but great performances from Bridges and Robbins and a real unease throughout.

[8]

Great film. Up there with Jacobs Ladder for a Robbins performance

PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Arlington Road

L
    [url][/url]

WE LITERALLY WATCHED THIS TONIGHT DID U SPY ON ME!!!

My dad had his mind melted at the ending, my mum claimed she saw it coming. What a cool movie and very much
  • Classic Lynch.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I forgot the ending too, was a good holy shit moment.
  • Arlington Road is a forgotten classic for sure.
  • I often invoke Arlington Rd as my argument for always watching a movie to the end. I wasn’t that interested for much of the first hour if I’m honest - it was fine, but if it had been on TV I can imagine turning it off to do something else, convinced it was just another in a long line of similar movies that I’d seen before.

But the ending absolutely transforms it. The film goes from by-the-numbers thriller, to one of the all time great conspiracy movies.
  • 27. Daddy's Home
    Will Ferrell is the sensitive stepdad fending off the return of alpha male dad Mark Wahlberg who wants his ex-wife and family back. Nonsense hijinks, some great slapstick and surprisingly great comic chops from Marky Mark make this a brainlessly fun 2hrs. 7

28. Daddy's Home 2
    Not as good as the first one, despite the addition of Jon Lithgow as Ferrells dad and noted anti-semitic wife beater Mel Gibson as Wahlbergs uber-alpha arsehole father. Could've done with more John Cena. 6
  • I really like both of those. Lots of fun.
    And yes, the sequel needed way more John Cena.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Green Zone Matt Damon drives around post shock-and-awe Iraq looking for WMDs and uncovering the plot that invented them to kick off the war.  It's well done and very slick and there's a splendid cast, not least Brendan Gleason and Jason Isaacs, but it's workmanlike and requires circus skills to suspend ones disbelief.  Enjoyable but forgettable.
  • 54. Saw
    It's still a good little bottle film. Just some ropey performances and very much of its time directing wise. The main theme song will always be one of the great 'reveal' songs.
    [5]

55. Saw 2
    The one thing I always liked about the Saw films was how they played with time. I really can't remember much of these sequels so am looking forward to seeing how they play out. The needle scene in this really sticks out.
    [5]

56. Beau is Afraid
    Well he went full Kaufman when I don't think even Kaufman goes full Kaufman. Not sure to think of this but it's quite a thing. Not sure where to score it either. I'm glad people get to make weird shit like this though
    [8]

57. Fast X
    For such a long film there's very few action setpieces. That's what let this down. The last one was stupid but it knew it and it never really stopped with the stupid action. This has a lot of people going places but not doing much. Also think Letierrier isnt a great dumb action director like the last guy was.
    [4]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!