Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Akira. Watched this on BluRay. Still a masterpiece even with the bonkers final act. Looks gorgeous on my 50" TV too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    While Noone is Watching

Deeply disturbing Swedish documentary about people fighting against peodephilia in several locations around the world.  It's easy to see what motivates these people, but how they can keep themselves from falling into despair is quite another thing.
  • davyK wrote:
    Akira. Watched this on BluRay. Still a masterpiece even with the bonkers final act. Looks gorgeous on my 50" TV too.

It’s just so damn beautiful. Even if the plot was bobbins, it would still be a towering achievement on style alone.
  • The 4k release is special.
  • Have to admit, I’m tempted. And I don’t usually buy things on disc any more.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Who was the dickhead who said Le Mans 66 was a good film? Whoever you are, you are very much correct. Loved it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A few of us here loved it.
  • Yeah I enjoyed it. Am definitely a dickhead too.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Love my life as a dickhead.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love all you dickheads for your excellent taste.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I haven't seen it.

What a prick...
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    He’s not in the club.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Evil Dead Rises

Like the earlier remake, it completely misses the point of the originals. Just gore, gore, gore, gore. Not scary, a bit shit. Complete waste of time.

Like, it's an okay horror film I guess but there's absolutely nothing about it that's fun, or interesting.

[4]
  • I was meh about the earlier remake when I first saw it on release, but rewatched it earlier this year and really enjoyed it.
  • I have no other point to make.
  • I loved both the 2013 version and Rise.
    Rise for me was just so much fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I can't wait to see it again. It was everything I wanted from an Evil Dead movie.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haven’t seen the new one, but the recentish remake was fucking great so DS doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
    Get schwifty.
  • Evil Dead Rises

Like the earlier remake, it completely misses the point of the originals. Just gore, gore, gore, gore. Not scary, a bit shit. Complete waste of time.

Like, it's an okay horror film I guess but there's absolutely nothing about it that's fun, or interesting.

[4]

Nobody has the courage to do a proper horror comedy anymore. Drag Me To Hell probably the last good one
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Haven’t seen the new one, but the recentish remake was fucking great so DS doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I quite liked the Fede Alvarez one. My criticism is of this years, while the other remake does go gore and over the top, its actually well done as a horror.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

I quite liked the Fede Alvarez one. My criticism is of this years, while the other remake does go gore and over the top, its actually well done as a horror.

So you…sorta like it?
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The 2013 one is a 7. It's one I didn't rate on first watch, then really enjoyed second time. Might end up being the same with the latest.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Fede Alverez is doing the new Alien film. That’ll be interesting.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:

I'm not sure it will, it's an Aliens film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • What to do on holiday? Let's watch all of the final destination films cos the evolution of horror podcast is covering them

49. Final Destination
    Apparently started as an X-Files ep script. Such a fun idea really. I like how painful the first death is too, something a lot of the others don't bother with. Shame a chunk of
    [6]

50. Final Destination 2
    This one is the GOAT of the series. From the insanely well executed opening to the fun and effects of the following set pieces and just the general pacing throughout. Good stuff
    [7]

51. Final Destination 3
    So weird to take a step back after the second one. Like they didn't get what made the opening of the previous one so good. At least the setpieces in this are tense at times and quite fun. Shame everything around those is so dull and boring and gets caught up in trying to explain the logic of things. This one is the comedy of the lot. Did chuckle a fair few times
    [5]

52. The Final Destination
    Eyoooo it's ya boy the 3D boom. Up in here jacking up your cinema ticket prices and your bad CGI effects. Has some alright moments but definitely the worst of the lot
    [3]

53. Final Destination 5
    I'm guessing they had a bit more money for this one. I'd forgotten opener and it's pretty impressive really and still holds up. They also manage to have characters have emotions about their friends dying which most of the others didn't bother with. Also managed to find a way to have things play out in a new way which was good
    [6]
  • Gremill wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

the recent series of shorts based in the aliens world proved that good storytelling is still possible in that universe. I liked the mining one and the one with the android trapped on the lifeboat with a facehugger

PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Shabby not so much evolution as devolution.

Was the second one the one that opened with the highway scene? I recall thinking that was very well done at the time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

the recent series of shorts based in the aliens world proved that good storytelling is still possible in that universe. I liked the mining one and the one with the android trapped on the lifeboat with a facehugger

Ooh. How do I find these?
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!