Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • I didn't make very good choices for plane watching although the options were pretty slim.

42. DC League of Superpets
    Probably not a good thing when one of the best recent DC movies is a cartoon about super animals that has a bunch of beep swearword and poop jokes. Pretty average but also fun enough and a few good gags.
    [5]

43. The Informant!
    Needed to be shorter to be good I think. Could have been a Burn After Reading type thing but doesn't quite get there. Still a good filmmaker though so it ticks along.
    [5]

44. The BFG
    Not totally sure why but I kinda really hated this. Felt more like an old man with learning disabilities kidnaps a small child than a whimsical fairy tale. Then it froths over the royals in an overly long sequence near the end. The worst Spielberg film I've seen but it still has his panache.
    [3]

45. Black Adam
    What is wrong at DC Studios. It's like they've seen superhero movies and they are trying to make something based on what they saw is cool in there. 'Hey let's have a guy that looks like Deadpool, that talks like Spiderman and has the powers of Antman. That's what kids like right? This is a trashfire and they should all be ashamed. Some special effects were good.
    [2]

46. Evil Dead Rise
    This was pretty good but I prefer the previous remake as a modern one. Kinda wish it didn't rely so much on repeating things and ideas from previous films and also maybe try to do horror comedy like 2 as the grim version has been done. I also got a little tired of the horror pacing in this where it relied on the quiet build up to horror moment cliche even though some of them are good.
    More consistent tension, less shoehorned themes or more character work, and remove the pointless opening plz
    [6]

47. Suzume
    I didn't so much like the previous one by this guy but I really enjoyed this. Possibly helped by just having been in Japan and it having so much real Japan stuff in there that took me back to my holiday. But I think it's also a fun movie with stunning animation and some beautiful music.
    [8]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Artiffice Girl

Ultra low-budget sci-fi/human drama. About a man who works to catch child predators so he makes an ultra realistic AI to imitate a young child

More about the relationship between humans and AI. Beautifully well done in parts. Slow, but for the budget it is exceptional.

Really enjoyed it.

[8]
  • Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out

48. Guardians 3
    Hmmmm, hard to know where I stand on this. On one hand it has some fucking insane visuals and ideas that go away past what you think a Marvel movie would allow and into horror type territory but on the other hand it just has a few too many spinning plates that it feels like they couldn't figure out how to put it together well. The editing and story/action flow throughout was just a bit clunky and so I never really fully got into it.
    [5-7]
  • I had no idea that was even out yet.
  • yesty
    I hate it.

Yesty, all my troubles seemed so farwy.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    yesty
    I hate it.
    Yesty, all my troubles seemed so farwy.

...I have decided I no longer politically support doctors.
  • Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out 48. Guardians 3 Hmmmm, hard to know where I stand on this. On one hand it has some fucking insane visuals and ideas that go away past what you think a Marvel movie would allow and into horror type territory but on the other hand it just has a few too many spinning plates that it feels like they couldn't figure out how to put it together well. The editing and story/action flow throughout was just a bit clunky and so I never really fully got into it. [5-7]

I felt that way about part 2 and have now come to love it as one of my absolute favourite Marvel movies (still has a slow and muddled start)
    SFV - reddave360
  • 49. Le Mans '66 - Ford vs Ferrari 
    Absolute stellar stuff. Bale is amazing, throughout but particularly in the race scenes where he conveys so much from his facial expressions. Beautiful movie to look at (with a rose-tinted view of 60s America which I'm a sucker for) and just totally engrossed me from start to finish. Considering how basic the narrative is, its a credit that it kept me hooked (and I'm not into cars at all). The drama in the Le Mans race itself is done so well and the bittersweet ending doesnt take away from what is a classic Hollywood feel good movie. The best movie I've seen so far this year [10]

Tip of the cap to Gremill for reminding me this was out there. Was also fun reading up on how true it was to real life.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a cracker all right - I really enjoyed it. I ended up reading a bit about the story and while the film stretches a few things it's pretty much on point. Beautifully made too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out 48. Guardians 3 Hmmmm, hard to know where I stand on this. On one hand it has some fucking insane visuals and ideas that go away past what you think a Marvel movie would allow and into horror type territory but on the other hand it just has a few too many spinning plates that it feels like they couldn't figure out how to put it together well. The editing and story/action flow throughout was just a bit clunky and so I never really fully got into it. [5-7]

I felt that way about part 2 and have now come to love it as one of my absolute favourite Marvel movies (still has a slow and muddled start)

I feel like the messaging gets a little muddled throughout in this one too. A few too many spinning story plates to give each the attention it deserves. Has some top moments and ideas though
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    49. Le Mans '66 - Ford vs Ferrari 
    Absolute stellar stuff. Bale is amazing, throughout but particularly in the race scenes where he conveys so much from his facial expressions. Beautiful movie to look at (with a rose-tinted view of 60s America which I'm a sucker for) and just totally engrossed me from start to finish. Considering how basic the narrative is, its a credit that it kept me hooked (and I'm not into cars at all). The drama in the Le Mans race itself is done so well and the bittersweet ending doesnt take away from what is a classic Hollywood feel good movie. The best movie I've seen so far this year [10]

Tip of the cap to Gremill for reminding me this was out there. Was also fun reading up on how true it was to real life.

It's so good, I'm going to force the family to watch it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Renfield
    Holy shit this film is fucking amazing! :-D
    Hoult needs to do another comedy creature feature/horror to finish out a trilogy with this and Warm Bodies.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Empire Strikes Back

Well it is May 4th. By a country mile the best Star Wars film. One iconic scene after another. Carrie Fisher adds weight to every scene she is in. She is superb in it.  I hadn't realised the robot bounty hunter in Mandalorian was taken from this!  :)

Frank Oz's performance and craftmanship is peerless in this. It trumps the CGI followups. I hadn't remembered the Yoda performance being as good. It is superbly done.

Rip roaring entertainment for 2hrs. This was and still is my greatest cinematic experience - I was 14 in 1980 and from my stomach churning in the snowspeeder scenes right through to the reveal I was riveted to my seat.

The John Williams soundtrack - do I really need to say it? Yeah - I do. Magnificent.

Sure, A New Hope had to come before it, but this nailed Star Wars down for that generation and it has been chasing the high from this ever since and hasn't come close apart from perhaps the final Vader Luke fight in Ep.6
  • It also benefits from not being ‘inspired’ by a better foreign film and just being its own thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And from having a better director.
  • Dungeons and Dragons - yup, agree with everyone else that it’s a fantastically fun film. Cracking performances all round and just a really well put together adventure romp :-)
  • 50. See how they run

Really wanted to like this more but it's just not interesting enough as a murder mystery and it lacks the laughs to lean into being a comedy. It's not bad, it looks lovely and the acting is decent between the two leads but as a movie it thinks its cleverer than it actual is. On the plus point its not too long so won't take up a vast chunk of the evening if you want to give it a go [6]
    SFV - reddave360
  • I enjoyed it but found it completely forgettable. A pleasant but empty time filler.
  • 22. See How They Run
    Bang average whodunnit that is made watchable by a zingy script performed by some very watchable actors. Sam Rockwell and Saoirse Ronan are great but its just a bit...mids. 6
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Saoirse Ronan

Do you know the title of her next movie?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Saoirse Ronan

Do you know the title of her next movie?
    ...go on.
  • Is it Outrun?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Huzzah!
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 3

In short, better than the second, but not as good as the first.

It's a film that struggles with the weight of too many characters, whilst adding yet more. As a result it feels a little bloated, and the pacing stutters along the way.

It is, however, pretty much a return to form for Marvel - whether you regard that as good or bad. Whilst all those characters make the film unwieldy it does also mean that we get resolution to pretty much everything that's been set up in the Guardians films along the way. Every character gets something.

Massive spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    So, a good finale, and a fun movie in its own right. It's a film more than happy to go to some very dark places at times, with some dollops of actual horror in there, and a genuinely horrible (if once again incompetent) villain. Anyone with young kids ask yourself these two slightly spoilery questions first:
    Spoiler:
    But yeah, a thumbs up from me. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a fun night out, the cast don't feel like they're sleeping walking through it like they did when they cameo'd in Thor, and it ties up a great little series with a bow.

Oh, and slightly annoyingly, it helps of you've seen the Christmas Special. Not essential by any means, but definitely adds a bit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just got back from Guardians and, like Tin said, it’s a decent movie that falls between the two that came before it. Have to say I was dosing at times throughout, it could have done with 30 minutes cutting from its run time but appreciate they had a lot to fit in. What makes it, as always with the Guardians, are the characters and they still have that bants that just about hits the spot every time they get into a spat, with snappy one liners. My favourite moment when Mantis…
    Spoiler:

The flashback stuff was pretty dark and a some of the latter fight scenes were quite violent mixed with some mild body horror. What rating is it?
  • 23. Ticket to Paradise
    By the numbers romcom in which acrimoniously divorced Julia Roberts and George Clooney put their differences aside to try and stop their daughter getting married to a guy she met on holiday. The very definition of inconsequential cinematic fluff, it's made watchable by the two leads who entertainingly bicker throughout. I can't imagine why two such incredibly rich and famous actors would want to make a film this average, set on location in Bali. 6
  • 24. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.
    Stupidly entertaining conclusion to the trilogy which goes to some pretty dark places at times, taking in vivisection, eugenics and body horror along the way with a continually inventive and at times brilliantly surreal visual style. But as usual the stars of the show are the characters old and new, the snappy and frequently hilarious dialogue and the big hearted messages about family and the value of all life (except for the dead bad guys). The bad guy is great as well, unhinged and very evil. 9
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GOTG3 gets the thumbs up in the Guardian too. Might go see it on the big screen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!