Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Clerks 3

No idea why I put this on. Terrible, especially the first half. Second half is more indulgent than awful.
    There is a really cringe worthy, far too long montage of actors auditioning to play the various Clerk's characters (the movie is about Randal making what ends up being the first film).
    Ben Affleck turns up for his mate, fair play to Affleck. Then the star power drops rapidly to a couple of reasonable faces like Fred Armisen. Then it falls off a cliff with 3 of the 4 Impractical Jokers. Feels like having 3 of them is the worst amount.

Just avoid it. The first Clerk's is/was decent. The second a rather poor effort, this is an even bigger drop off than that.
  • It’s hard to think of a director other than Kevin Smith who is more “of their time.”
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 18. Godzilla Vs Kong
    Everyone involved in this should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. 2
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic box quote
  • Tried to watch that on a movie night recently and ended up ditching it for an Aussie horror/monster movie about an oversized boar on a killing spree. Which was the correct decision.
  • Razorback? Off of the 80s?
  • Hard agree on this.  I think I stomached 40 mins max.  It’s truly awful.  Outback killer boar sounds much better.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Razorback? Off of the 80s?

This one was just called Boar, but Razorback looks good.
  • g.man wrote:
    It’s hard to think of a director other than Kevin Smith who is more “of their time.”

Leni Riefenstahl?
  • 11. The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 9 Apr
    Utterly atrocius. Bad in every way. Seemed like a bunch of Mario and Nintendo references working as an advert for them, but wrapped in a movie. Badly. Even my Boy (about to be 10) didn't like it.

Sonic finally has something to shout about over Mario cos that was a far far better movie.
    [3]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    It’s hard to think of a director other than Kevin Smith who is more “of their time.”

Leni Riefenstahl?

Outrageous work
  • 38. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    A re-watch of David Finchers version of the Stieg Larson book. It's a really solid movie with a great atmosphere and its pretty loyal to the book but despite my love of Fincher, I think this is one of his weaker movies. Its still good - weak fincher is still better than most directors imo. But possibly because I enjoyed the book so much so there's no surprises or twists - its just a pretty faithful version of the same story. I've never watched the original movie trilogy and might give that a go in a few months [8]

39. Fantastic Mr Fox 

I know Wes Anderson is divisive but I enjoyed this. Its not amazing and suffers the same flaws that just about every Anderson movie does but still, Its a nice take on the book that adds in Andersons own distinct style for better or worse and the animation is fresh compared to the glut of CGI stuff we get. Whole family enjoyed it which is always a plus. I might be over rating this because it was also a favourite childs book but hey ho - [7]

40. The Revenant

A first watch on a movie that I've been meaning to get to for many a year. Its absolute beatufiul to watch and the atmosphere is cracking throughout (the urge to play a bit of RDR2 after was strong) The plot is maybe a bit too simple for a movie that is 190 minutes or so and I still find DiCaprio odd for some roles (although there is no doubt he is giving it socks) I generally prefer my movies with more dialogue but this was still a great watch [8]
    SFV - reddave360
  • The fantastic mr fox is superb.
    PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:

Leni Riefenstahl?

Outrageous work

Thank you.
  • Tbf, it’s a triumph of the will just to get through a recent Kevin Smith movie…
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Forgotten (2004)

Julianne Moore and Big Dom West have dead kids but turns out the kids might not be real but then turns out they might be real and not dead and it's all fucking insane and then at the end it's even more insane and what the fuck even is rhis

8/10 I think dunno
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Forgotten (2004)

Julianne Moore and Big Dom West have dead kids but turns out the kids might not be real but then turns out they might be real and not dead and it's all fucking insane and then at the end it's even more insane and what the fuck even is rhis

8/10 I think dunno

Holy shit there's a blast from the past that movie is fucking mad
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It just popped up on a site I was on and reviews said it's fucking mental so went for it. And it is.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    ITS THEM is what I mostly remember and blasting through the roof
  • Nobody 
    John Wick type movie mixed with a touch of those Liam Neeson old-man-can-go action movies. Its not that great and out stays its welcome for me, and didn't lean into the silliness of it all enough for the comedy side of things, but it does have Bob Odenkirk in the lead role and he's great as Hutch. Think I'd watch anything with him in it, so dependable. Christopher lloyd also has a fun cameo but the main bad guy is a horrible lump of over acting cliche. 

Worth a gander if you are bored for both Odenkirk and the fab bus scene fight. Just be aware it never really pops [6]
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Future Shock : The Story of 2000AD

Splendid story of the origins and dev of the old comic I read up until about 1983 or so.  Great putting faces to those artists and writers at the very least.

Pretty eye opening re its influence in the film industry today as well. Worth a look.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Future Shock : The Story of 2000AD

Splendid story of the origins and dev of the old comic I read up until about 1983 or so.  Great putting faces to those artists and writers at the very least.

Pretty eye opening re its influence in the film industry today as well. Worth a look.

Is that on one of the streaming services? Sounds good.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Is that on one of the streaming services? Sounds good.

Looks like it’s £1.99 to rent on Amazon. £3.49 to rent on Apple. (I checked JustWatch.)
  • Cool, I'll definitely give it a shot for that price.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's on YT at the minute....
  • Nice one Davy. Bookmarked for later.
    SFV - reddave360
  • ohhh i was a huge 2000ad fan. im on this
    PSN - minkymu
  • That's a great doco - watched it last year. I think it was on Film 4
  • Yeah. I’ve seen that. It’s a great watch if you grew up with the comic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a bluray of the doc with a fair amount of extra interviews. It's £8 - am tempted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!