Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Bullet Train.

I don't mind stuff like this from time to time but as soon as the cockney and his mate started talking about Thomas the Tank Engine I was done. Truly desperate Lock Schlock stuff. I presume it picks up but I'll never know.
  • Oddly I tried that earlier, chump. Lasted 20 minutes, it's fucking hideous.
    There’s some really bizarre choices made throughout - eg trying to force character development with the song backing during the house burglary bit, but none of it makes any sense whatsoever. It’s possibly worth dissecting as a study in how competent people can still make a disjointed, nonsensical mess, with no throughline and undercutting itself at each opportunity so it plods.
    It also very much tries hard to be funny, and isn’t. I think this is just mishmash of styles not playing off each other - as Plaza is great at what she does, and Statham is fucking hilarious in Spy, and Elwes is doing his best with what he’s given - so everyone is capable but they’ve been given fuck all to work with and just don’t gel with each other.
    Wrath of Man, on the other hand, I thought was a solid film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Miles Davis : Birth of the Cool Solid doc/bio of probably my favourite musician. Gives a good broad story from his early days through to his death. No shortage of contributors who he clearly had a huge impact on. Very touching though at the same time it doesn't gloss over his shortcomings.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 23. Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation
    Not as full on action as the last one and not as good as I know the next one to be but it's still entertaining and with good set pieces
    [7]
  • 24. Playground
    The school experience as seen by a child filmed in the vein of Son of Saul. I was expecting this to be a bit more gentle than it was, maybe it wanting to make a point about bullying distracted from being about the main character like an Eighth Grade or Petit Maman. Main performance is incredible though and I did really like it
    [8]
  • 25. The Whale
    Made sense when it said "based on play by" at the end. I feel like it needed to be made into more of a movie as a lot of the performances and scenes were a bit overplayed like it was aimed at the people in the back row. Fraser was great though for sure.
    [7]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    24. Playground
    The school experience as seen by a child filmed in the vein of Son of Saul. I was expecting this to be a bit more gentle than it was, maybe it wanting to make a point about bullying distracted from being about the main character like an Eighth Grade or Petit Maman. Main performance is incredible though and I did really like it
    [8]

Yas queen that ending
  • Was showing as part of the French film festival here so got to see it at the cinema which was nice.

Thinking of endings I reckon The Quiet Girl is still my favourite recent ending. Hugs are definitely having their moment this last year though.

26. Shazam Fury of the Gods
    Will be interesting to see if the new DC heads makes for films that aim a bit higher because this is pretty low effort in a lot of ways. But it's fun and it did make me actually laugh which is more than most Marvel can say. Levy still plays more of a kid than the actual kid though.
    [6] one or two more points than it deserves cos of the laughs
  • 14. The Fog
    For some reason I thought that this was a Stephen King adaptation. Anyway, haven't seen this for about 30 years and I didn't remember really liking it at the time but it's actually a great little film with a nice cast of character actors and a brilliant score. It's not in the slightest bit scary but it's got atmosphere to spare and it's good fun. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're thinking of The Mist, maybe.
  • Kow wrote:
    You're thinking of The Mist, maybe.

Turns out I was thinking of the book 'The Fog' by James Herbert - which is completely unconnected to the film.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Perfect Blue (1997)

Holy shit how have I not watched this before it is a masterpiece.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Perfect Blue (1997) Holy shit how have I not watched this before it is a masterpiece.

Heh. I think that was the 2nd anime I ever watched - after Akira. Then I watched Metropolis. Was quite an intro.
  • Perfect Blue (1997)

Holy shit how have I not watched this before it is a masterpiece.
    Holy shit, the twist we never saw coming. DS is a weeb.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've seen Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Dead Leaves and now Perfect Blue where do I buy a sex pillow
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ask Davyk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Metropolis, Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke are memorable. Apart from Spirited Away I haven't watched anything else.
  • I've seen Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Dead Leaves and now Perfect Blue where do I buy a sex pillow

Watch Satoshi Kon’s other stuff. Paprika is good. Millennium Actress is wonderful.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah I'm defo gonna deep dive on his work. If they're anything like Perfect Blue god damn.
  • Fist of the Northstar m8, love it. Watch the standalone film length 80s release.

Davy, you'd like Akira I reckon.
  • Never really see Wings of Honneamise get mentioned but I rated that, another one for Davy perhaps.
  • Triangle of Sadness
    ‘Rich people are awful’ dark comedy set on a luxury holiday yacht. Nowhere near as clever (or funny) as it thinks. Imagine The White Lotus but only half as good.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Never really see Wings of Honneamise get mentioned but I rated that, another one for Davy perhaps.

That’s one of my favourites. I have the Bluray, need to watch again. Love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Haven't seen it in probably 20yrs but remember it being fantastic. I should pick it up, never saw the uncut version, the og UK release had a sex scene removed to make it pass as a kids film. Not particularly interested in the grot ofc but it'd be nice to see the whole thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Fist of the Northstar m8, love it. Watch the standalone film length 80s release.

Completely bonkers .... loved it.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Fist of the Northstar m8, love it. Watch the standalone film length 80s release.

Oh..sorry...thought I had said. Yeah ... that was the 1st. Probably the one most have seen I guess?

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Never really see Wings of Honneamise get mentioned but I rated that, another one for Davy perhaps.

That’s one of my favourites. I have the Bluray, need to watch again. Love it.

Noted.
  • I tried and failed to do a Ghibli top three. There’s at least four which are perfect films from start to finish.

Outside of Ghibli though, the dons are probably Akira (obviously), Perfect Blue and Paprika.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!