[8]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dear Mr Watterson Loving tribute to Calvin and Hobbes and Bill Watterson.  Worth a look for anyone who likes the strip (who doesn't?)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh, that would be me! I'll check it out
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On Prime.
  • 20. The Meg
    Needed a dumb movie and this is really dumb but it knows it is and that's why it works. It would be nice if there was more than thrills in the shark stuff but it is what it is. Can't believe Wheatley is doing the sequel
    [5]
  • Did not know that! Will keep an eye on that then, The Meg was the good sort of trash.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gorky Park is a good old 80s murder mystery set in Moscow with William Hurt and Lee Marvin heading a marvellous cast. It's a real treat spotting British actors like Ian McDiarmuid, Michael Elphick, Richard Griffiths and Alexei Sayle among others. Brian Dennehey is there to enjoy too. 

Shot in 80s Moscow - some of the locations are superb, and it looks great seeing the cast drive around in Ladas and sport enormous furry hats. Part of the charm is the English accents sported by all the Russian characters (though Ian Bannen still has his Irish brogue) A good story , based on a book, adapted by Dennis Potter - this should have been a bigger hit than it was. It plays a bit clumsy in parts but is never less than highly enjoyable.  Caught this, ad-free, on Freevee.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Knock at the Cabin Wifey thought this was crap but I thought it was OK to good. The setting is great and big Dave B puts in an excellent turn. The promise of the build up ultimately isn't (can't be?) delivered but what is here is done very well. I enjoyed this but have reservations about recommending it. The basic problem is with the subject matter which is a very hard thing to handle.
  • Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
    Marcel is a stop motion shell with a googly eye and, yes, shoes.  He was the star of a couple of admittedly sweet Youtube videos a couple of years ago, that focused on gentle humour, and whimsical observations about life that threatened to become painful Facebook memes. Spinning these out into a movie ought not to have worked - yet Marcel does an extraordinary job of dancing right by the line marked "nauseating twee sentimentalism" without ever crossing it. Instead, it's a surprisingly effective and moving little film. Its secret seem to be the utter sincerity with which it approaches its story, there is very little winking to the audience, nor any anxiety about delivering its homely observations. Things that might seem trite coming from humans seems genuinely beautiful when delivered by a tiny stop motion shell.

The themes of the film also sneak up quietly on you. It's ultimately a film about change, and moving on, but manages these familiar themes in new and interesting ways - again with a surprising level of truth for something so obviously unreal. (It's perhaps weirdly helpful that the films makers - Dean Fleischer Camp and Jenny Slate - were going through a real life divorce at the time.)

Anyway - it's lovely. There is no irony here, just an incredibly successful attempt to make something sweet, life affirming and kind.  Which also happens to be pretty funny too.

Three Minutes: A Lengthening

For some reason this is tucked away in the Storyville section of iPlayer. It's an extraordinary piece of documentary film making that comes heavily recommended. If that's enough, stop reading and go watch it now, as there's something to be said for knowing as little as possible. For those that want to know a little more though...

The title is pretty much literally true. Barring one very brief segment, the film consists entirely of just under 4 minutes of old cinefilm footage. The film was found by an American when going through his grandfather's things in the attic, and was filmed in Poland in 1938. The documentary plays us this film again and again, stopping, rewinding, zooming in - trying to unpack the mysteries it holds. Where is this? Who are these people? What happened here?

What unfolds is a documentary not just about these people, and the horrors that awaited them round the corner, but also the nature of film, of memory, of history and legacy. Watch it.
  • Intinite
    What better way to top off the dumbest fucking script of the century than with Mark Wahlberg's dumb fuck gormless face.
    Finally for an extra splash of dull be sure to include some actor your audience will half remember being in Game of Thrones.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Intinite What better way to top off the dumbest fucking script of the century than with Mark Wahlberg's dumb fuck gormless face. Finally for an extra splash of dull be sure to include some actor your audience will half remember being in Game of Thrones.
    Spoiler:

Recorded this on the TiVO and then frowned at the 1.5 star rating.
  • It's one of them films that makes you feel for the poor, ambitious script writer looking for a break and then having to witness this having $millions poured into it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Three Minutes: A Lengthening For some reason this is tucked away in the Storyville section of iPlayer. It's an extraordinary piece of documentary film making that comes heavily recommended. If that's enough, stop reading and go watch it now, as there's something to be said for knowing as little as possible. For those that want to know a little more though... The title is pretty much literally true. Barring one very brief segment, the film consists entirely of just under 4 minutes of old cinefilm footage. The film was found by an American when going through his grandfather's things in the attic, and was filmed in Poland in 1938. The documentary plays us this film again and again, stopping, rewinding, zooming in - trying to unpack the mysteries it holds. Where is this? Who are these people? What happened here? What unfolds is a documentary not just about these people, and the horrors that awaited them round the corner, but also the nature of film, of memory, of history and legacy. Watch it.

Watched it. Well worth it. What a story.
    Spoiler:
    Incredible.
  • davyK wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Three Minutes: A Lengthening For some reason this is tucked away in the Storyville section of iPlayer. It's an extraordinary piece of documentary film making that comes heavily recommended. If that's enough, stop reading and go watch it now, as there's something to be said for knowing as little as possible. For those that want to know a little more though... The title is pretty much literally true. Barring one very brief segment, the film consists entirely of just under 4 minutes of old cinefilm footage. The film was found by an American when going through his grandfather's things in the attic, and was filmed in Poland in 1938. The documentary plays us this film again and again, stopping, rewinding, zooming in - trying to unpack the mysteries it holds. Where is this? Who are these people? What happened here? What unfolds is a documentary not just about these people, and the horrors that awaited them round the corner, but also the nature of film, of memory, of history and legacy. Watch it.
    Watched it. Well worth it. What a story.
    Spoiler:
    Incredible.

Really glad you felt the same way about it. It's pretty extraordinary, I thought.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is many things. It's wonderful what modern tech can do too even though it's only a small part of the real story (although a vital facilitator of it).

Watching shadows from the past always has a great effect on me - even when the scenes are trivial unlike the resonance this has.

Let the iPlayer carry on with the next programme....ended up watching something about cross dressers!!  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Chariots of Fire I don't think I ever saw this end to end. I remember the furore over its release and a few of its iconic scenes like the race around the quad and the beach run.

It's a quality show with the cream of British talent on show.  If you look close enough you can spot a very cute Ruby Wax as a US team fan in a few of the crowd scenes.

The toffery on view (Nigel Havers' Lord practicing his hurdles in his palatial grounds with filled champagne glasses perched on hurdles to force him not to hit them) might grate with some but the film comments on class, religious and race issues and doesn't pull any of its genteel punches.
  • Skinamarink

I tried to appreciate this, I really did. Unfortunately it felt closer to forcing myself to concentrate during a quarterly meeting at work than watching something I was actually enjoying. I was primed for 'potentially special' but the entire film was almost willfully dull, as if trying to shake any viewer not prepared to fully embrace the (desperately try hard) arthouse feel. The stuff with the toys moving around just makes it feel like a passing grade Media Studies short stretched into an agonisingly long feature length film. The only thing terrifying about this is the thought of ever having to sit through it again. Come back Barbarian, all is forgiven.
  • Ha Moot, I felt the same. I wanted to dig but I really couldn't.

21. Mission impossible: Ghost Protocol
    This is where they're starting to get the pacing down. Really fun this and quite thrilling. I'd forgotten large chunks of this. They have a knack for having a heist make sense without needing to explain it much or talk you through the whole thing as it happens like Inception, it just plays out.
    [8]
  • Just found your review. Yup.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fury Was expecting a Kelly's Heroes romp - likely because of Pitt. This isn't that. Far from it. I still see Pit in a tux in Ocean's Eleven even though I have seen him in more real roles than fun ones.

The characters are kind of "our gang" like but this is a gritty hard hitting war-is-hell film and it's a good one.  Of course I don't know what it's like to fight in a tank but those scenes have a brutal , claustrophobic feel to them. It looks like the creators have done their research. Entertainment though? I think we are past that now when it comes to this genre. I believe getting entertainment and humour in war is left to those who fight in it.

Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Dozen, even stuff like The Longest Day. We won't see their like again. And rightly so.
  • 11. The Hitman's Bodyguard
    Expected this to be a bit shit, bit it was actually really great fun. Some fantastic stunts, chase sequences and great banter between the leads made it a great way to spenda few hours. 7
    Gamertag: gremill

• 12. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Good fun, but I am enjoyed it a ot less third time around. Still Snyder's best film, but only because it's carried by Polley, Rhames and the rest of the cast. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    11. The Hitman's Bodyguard
    Expected this to be a bit shit, bit it was actually really great fun. Some fantastic stunts, chase sequences and great banter between the leads made it a great way to spenda few hours. 7
    There’s a sequel The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard that is also pretty fun.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arrival

Better with repeated viewing. I got far more out of this rewatch than I thought I would. Sci fi of the highest order, because it isn't all about the sci fi.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep repeat viewings hit harder. Love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It really did hit me hard.
  • Arrival’s a belter. And a shoe-in for the all-time top 10 of sci-fi films. Probably the only one from its generation. Actually maybe there’s two. Arrival and Moon?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Stop it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!