Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What impresses most about 2001 is that it hasn't really aged. Even when screens are used they are presented in an ageless way.  The only thing that has aged was the video payphone but that's only because Kubrick thought it would be a managed service (Was a Bell labs service in the film).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The thing i thought that was most aged about the video phone was the cost. He's on the phone to Earth for 5-10 minutes I guess. It cost about $1.70. Not a chance, that would be $5 minimum in a space airport lounge.

That and Pan Am, otherwise it has aged very well.
  • I'd still love somebody to have a crack at a remake though.

The phones are the only things that have aged?! srsly what about the ape men for god's sake!

Imagine a proper Andy Serkis 2001 CGI ape vs the Monolith scene!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Nah you're alright. They'll fuck it up.
    2001 is far too boring for a modern audience given the budget required.

I'll only allow it if Serkis fights a live leopard.

"Dave is dumb, why didndtee wear his helmet, this movies dumb. How did he get to the house PLOTHOLES!" People today don't deserve 2001
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If Villeneuve took a crack at 2001 I’d be very keen. Anyone else? No thanks.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'd watch a David Lynch version.
  • No director you want to do it would touch it
  • 16. Infinity Pool
    I like how Brandon Cronenberg doesn't like to be compared to his father but then continues to make stories that feel like something his dad would make. Although a very different look and vibe. Maybe just a bit long and not as tightly constructed as Possessor.
    [7]

17. The Village
    Pretty amazing cast in this. And Roger Deakins making the film look amazing. It's nice and slight but it explains itself too much and he should have tried to make the beasts look more beastly early on.
    [5]
  • LivDiv wrote:
    No director you want to do it would touch it

A Michael Bay 2001. Heck yeah!

I listened to a podcast recently about Texas Chainsaw and how at the time they did the remake Michael Bay was saying they were making the new one because whilst the original is good it just doesn't hold up anymore.
    I can't imagine how someone could be so wrong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    I'd still love somebody to have a crack at a remake though. The phones are the only things that have aged?! srsly what about the ape men for god's sake! Imagine a proper Andy Serkis 2001 CGI ape vs the Monolith scene!

We don't really know how ape-men moved or looked. I'm not sure a remake would add much.
  • Fuck Andy Serkis and his CGI pish!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fuck and pish… we know your categories dirty old man.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought Serkis' King Kong was rather good. Quite under-rated.  It has its place as long as it isn't overused/hyped.
  • Serkis is always underused.

His aggravated gangster in Wild Bill is genuinely unnerving
    PSN - minkymu
  • Didn't he also play Ian Dury in the biopic about the Blockheads? I really want to watch that one day.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Everyone knows his best role was the camp boss in 13 Going on 30.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He was good in Star Wars : Andor.
  • Sharper
    Susan Sarandon, John Lithgow, and that bloke who plays Bucky in the Captain America movies, in a con-artist thriller. Told in chapters, with each revealing a bigger con around the last. Slow paced, and well acted.
  • I want to dance with somebody
    Very average and unimaginative music bio-pic. The acting is solid enough (Tucci is great and Naomi Ackie is solid) but it feels almost like a (slightly) bigger budget TV movie. There's none of the glam of being one of the biggest stars in the world nor is there any real feel of time or place. Its so light and cliched it could be anyone really. The overall direction is very basic. Also felt that you would need to know the actual story to get the most from of it which is surely a fail of a biopic? 

One big plus though is it highlighted how Amazing Houstons singing is (much of the move is lip synced). Her music is probably a bit too pop for many here but my god some of the stuff is vocally fantastic, even if the songs are a bit guff (the 1994 medley from the AMAs is rightly placed as the movies grand finale) 

[4]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
    Look, this isn't a good movie. Its got lots of character and plot problems and it highlights again a big issue for me with marvel that they have wasted huge amounts of TV and screen time on pointless stuff where as this Film really needed more development of its ideas and concepts to hit how it is intending. Its also has that SW prequel feel that while the "vistas" are all impressive nothing feels real as an alien world (compare how much more real Jabbas Palace or cloud city feels to anything here) 

It also feels like someone watched a bit of the Rick and Morty Season 2 opener (A rickle in time) but didnt put as much thought into it (turns out the writter is from the R&M writers room). There's also no escaping a feeling of "The council of Ricks" in one of the post credits 

All that said... I kinda enjoyed it. Its never dull and Jonathan Majors could be a great villain and the way they seem to be taking the Kang character is actually potentially interesting (although I dont think Marvel has faith in its viewers to really push the concept) Paul Rudd is also fine as is much of the supoorting cast (althought there is an odd cameo thats a bit like Jeff Goldblum in Thor, but feels cut short for reasons outside of the movie)

Its typical mid-tier Marvel but while it has faults it has enough strengths to just get it over the line. If, like me, you are still getting some fun from the Marvel stuff even though its past its sell by date at this point, I think its fine. If You are done with Marvel, this wont win you back

[6]
    SFV - reddave360
  • 5. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - 18/2
    Some utter trash plotting, characterisation and exposition. But I still kinda enjoyed parts of it. The quantum realm looked great. Overly GGI which can get a bad rep but I didn’t mind.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also, it just felt like an episode of Star Wars in a lot of places. Even down to the music.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 18. Quantumania
    Some definite plot/story issues with some clunky flow at times but there's some real visual imagination in here and it's quite funny. Shame it doesn't take it's time to soak in the weird stuff and also a shame it gets a bit punchy punchy. Majors is excellent and I think Kang works best when it's like in Loki and it's a battle of perspectives and idealogies.
    [6]

19 The Menu
    Started strong but couldn't really land the execution and so when it got into it I was pushed out of it. Also expected a bit more wit from a director and writer from Succession.
    [5]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree on The Menu view. As you say it started well but then became a by the numbers jobbie.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Agree on The Menu view. As you say it started well but then became a by the numbers jobbie.

I'm not for gore or torture movies but I felt that's what the menu needed. I still really enjoyed it though.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Infinity Pool

Absolute banger in places, great build up, bit let down by a fair chunk by the last half hour or so where it shits itself. First 90 is fantastic fun though. Phenomenal visuals and ideas. He is his father's son.

[7]
  • 9. The Lost City
    Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum star in an amusing, entertaining and fun way to spend 2hrs as they do a kind of Romancing the Stone update. Perfectly adequate, shallow nonsense. 6

10. Saving Private Ryan
    I'd forgotten how great (and brutal) this is - superb direction (particularly the handheld stuff in the battle scenes), brilliant practical effects and an entire cast doing great work put this up there with the best war movies ever made. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Infinity Pool

Absolute banger in places, great build up, bit let down by a fair chunk by the last half hour or so where it shits itself. First 90 is fantastic fun though. Phenomenal visuals and ideas. He is his father's son.

[7]

oooooooh yes please. i was waiting for a semi decent review of this

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Gentlemen  Guy Ritchie doing his schtick but I don't mind when it's as enjoyable as this. There's a lot to enjoy from the performances; Hugh Grant just keeps getting better and better as he ages.  A good old romp with the usual bit of wildcard chaos making sure things turn out all right in the end. :)

btw - nice little nod to The Long Good Friday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!