Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Annie (1982)
    After watching the 2014 update, wife and daughter wanted to give this classic a whirl. Honestly, one of the worst movies I've had to sit through. Terrible ott acting, mostly awful songs and a quite baffling tone that doesnt seem to know if its a musical for adults or children. Its over long too (2+ hours)

Whats funny is looking into the wikipedia page I was somewhat surprised to discover a film that really was never a classic. Neither loved by critics or viewers, it performed well at the box office but had such a bloated budget it didnt actually make money. 

Really Awful stuff. They dont make em like they used to (thank god) [2]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I Googled GH day and it was Thursday?

You had to Google it?! Man, sort yourself out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

You had to Google it?! Man, sort yourself out.

I know it instinctively as it’s the day after my bday. All the cool kids are born around Groundhog Day.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes but I will still take belated birthday wishes tyvm
  • Belated birthday wish, Muzzy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 5. Barbarian
    Holy fuck. One of the best horror films I've seen for long time. Take a dash of the descent, a sprinkle of Texas Chainsaw, some toxic maculinity and simmer until you've got a seriously fucked up stew of inbred murderous titmonsters killing against the backdrop of a post apocalyptic Detroit slum. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Slight overuse of the masks is the only thing wrong with that film.

Stop mumbling....
    PSN - minkymu
  • Gremill wrote:
    5. Barbarian
    Holy fuck. One of the best horror films I've seen for long time. Take a dash of the descent, a sprinkle of Texas Chainsaw, some toxic maculinity and simmer until you've got a seriously fucked up stew of inbred murderous titmonsters killing against the backdrop of a post apocalyptic Detroit slum. 9

I think that's just regular Detroit these days.
  • Kingsman: The Secret Service
    There's a distinct style to Matthew Vaughans movies and Kingsman is no different. It's a nice enough riff on the Bond idea and doesn't take itself too seriously. Its not anything mind blowing but it is a very enjoyable action spy romp with enough well done set pieces to keep you engaged. Also hard not to enjoy Colin Firths turn as an absolute kick-ass agent. The sequels quality dropped off a bit but the first is solid  [8]

Let Us Prey 
    Low budget horror with a nice take on the devil as a passing stranger. Liam Cunningham adds a lot to this movie as prisoner 6, but in going for a (not really all that) gorey climax it loses some of the lovely atmosphere that gets built up at the start. Would have worked better for me if it had kept things as grounded as possible. Still, enjoyable as a late night b-flick. [6]

The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Really good Sorkin movie with a typical fantastic cast given some solid turns. Given recent events in the news about the US ploice, this feels more timely than had I watched it on release. As a film it manages to entertain, inform (and inspire to read a bit more about the event in question) as well as absolute enrage you with the injustice it potrays - Frank Langella is exceptional as the truly vile Judge Hoffman. Well worth a watch - although the ending does a go all Scent of a Woman with the uplifting music. Without spoilering, it would have been better to just have no music or cheering at that point (if you've seen it you might agree) Brilliant Stuff [9]
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Man Called Otto  Didn't know this was a remake of a Swedish film until I saw the SF logo up on the cinema screen... That means I got more than I bargained for - Wifey and I went to watch this for some light viewing. It's kind of that but there's more to it. It's Tom Hanks which for me is a no brainer to go and see.

Bitter sweet comedy with a great support cast that we really enjoyed. Glad I went to see this but now I want to watch the original which is probably heart wrenching.  It's Tom Hanks.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Barbarian Excellent tension builder. Felt very old school in some ways (a good thing by the way) - there's a bit when a door opens and a real 80s horror style tune kicks in and it's back to the VHS days except this delivers the thrills most of the old 80s straight-to-video never did. :)

As is usual with this type of thing the unseen is far more unsettling so the latter phase is a change of gear and it's never as good as the build up. That's a basic flaw in the genre but this makes the best of it. Shades of Texas Chainsaw and Evil Dead in this for me.

Best horror-flick of its type I've seen in some time by a good margin.
  • A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Second time seeing this, needed some comfort whilst I'm under a duvet feeling like I'm one step away from death.
    Perhaps it's just the sickness bug but I cried my eyes out during this. It's like a big warm hug.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Worth

Interesting if slightly too melodramatic story of the 9-11 victims fund. The story is engaging enough but seems to hinge on an odd moment of clarity for the main character. Michael keating is as engaging as always but it overall feels a bit slight. [7]
    SFV - reddave360
  • 11. M3gan
    Feels like a real missed opportunity this. Listening to interviews later it did have a very short filming schedule and budget and I think it shows in how little doll on the loose stuff there is until way too late in the movie. And it's a shame too because that stuff is quite fun. There's also a bunch of pieces of the film that just don't really come together. It's well made but disappointing.
    [3]

12. Knock at the Cabin
    Didn't realise this was an adaptation of a book. This is a neat little thriller with Shyamalan's typical flair of filmmaking. I quite liked it although I don't think it was as tense as it could have been.
    [6]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Didn't it turn out that the groundhog had died over the winter? (oops, failed to quote)
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    12. The Phantom of the Open
    Enjoyable, fun effort based on the true story of an everyman who managed to sign up to take part in The Open in the 70s. Mark Rylance is brilliant (again), quite literally from the first moment he appears on screen and he remains the best thing in it throughout. The film seems to hold pretty close to actual events for the most part which makes it all the more entertaining that he managed to pull some of these things off. A fair amount of activity happens up front so it does sag a bit in the middle and get distracted with a subplot with a message but thankfully picks up again towards the end. Solid British support in the cast and enough hearty laughs to to make it worthwhile. [7]
  • Yeah I enjoyed that one. Watched it on a plane and it's perfect for that
  • The Banshees of InisherinI think probably enough has been said already about this movie. Very enjoyable,  I think I need to watch it again to fully appreciate it all. The dialogue is great, its an intriguing concept and the characters are well sketched. Also loved the scenery shots. [9]

Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
    Continuing the run of family-friendly films I'm currently on, I really expected better due to this being 2014 Steve Carrell. Its very american with characters you are meant to root for but arent actually that nice if that makes sense. Cant say I enjoyed it too much although my daughter did so thats its audience. [4]
    SFV - reddave360
  • 13. Titanic (in 3D! at IMAX!)
    Been a long time since I've watched this properly. Still holds up! Cameron is good at pacing his movies I feel, even if the story isn't doing anything fancy he keeps the whole thing trucking along. Seeing it on a big big screen shows some of it's flaws (water physics around the models most of all) but it really doesn't matter when you're in it. There were a lot of people who had clearly sobbed during the final parts coming out of the screening so I guess it still works it's magic.
    [8]

14. The Happening
    I like this movie much more than I should. I really think this would have been considered one of his better ones if it wasn't for Wahlberg and Deschanel. They are fucking woeful, genuinely terrible. He has a dumb punchable face and she, well, I don't know what she's going for. I really think if there were better actors in those parts with better intuition into how to play those scenes they wouldn't come across so dumb. There's just so many great little set-pieces. I think Shyamalan does violence very well.
    [5]
  • Massive soft spot for Titanic.
  • I still haven’t seen Titanic.
  • Massive soft spot for icebergs.

Gamertag: gremill
  • I couldn't stand all the fuss when it came out. The Leo swooning and that bloody Celine Dion song.

I like it now. It has and will stand the test of time thanks to brilliant use of practical effects and a tropey 'boy from the wrong side of the tracks' love story. Plus Billy Zane's one dimensional but no less fun villian.
  • The Power.

Low budget Brit horror set in a hospital during govt. enforced power outages in the 70s. It took a while to get used to ex Hollyoaks types doing 'Don't Tell the Midwife cor blimey' East End accents but it had some decent ideas/scenes. 3/5.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I couldn't stand all the fuss when it came out. The Leo swooning and that bloody Celine Dion song. I like it now. It has and will stand the test of time thanks to brilliant use of practical effects and a tropey 'boy from the wrong side of the tracks' love story. Plus Billy Zane's one dimensional but no less fun villian.

It's a good film. No great shakes. Kind of like Avatar in that respect.  There was a fuss over here from the family of the guy who was portrayed in the film as the guy who shoots someone trying to storm a lifeboat which wasn't accurate.
  • Moon

I just fucking love this film. It's brilliantly shot, great sound. Great concept. Rockwell is superb, to the point I totally forget that he is one actor and not two Sam Rockwell's acting at the same time in the scenes with both clones.

Only downer is Spacey but given it's just his voice and distorted at that it's easy to dissociate him from it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Rockwell deserved at least an Oscar nod for his role in Moon. It’s one of my favourite sci-fi films of all time.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think I've seen it. I guess I should fix that.

Meanwhile, just finished Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 with my eldest. Pretty meh tbh, maybe but surprising as it's just building to the finale, I imagine?
  • I've only seen Moon once but it usually springs to mind as one of my favourite 'recent' films.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    (Re: Moon). Amazing score by Mansell too.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!