Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its a monumentally fucking stupid film which I laid into on my first watch and still feel personally offended by.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The solution arrived at would have likely been arrived at by the military - but hey ho. I liked it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Its a monumentally fucking stupid film which I laid into on my first watch and still feel personally offended by.

I've never see it, but a quick check reveals the waterfall is a key point of contention between people. The argument against it seems to consist primarily of people assuming that the ones saying to live by the waterfall are suggesting constructing an entire fucking house there and not... getting a tent.

If you're dumb enough to have a kid in this world though all bets are off on every other fucking decision you ever make.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    6. Boys Don't Cry
    Based on a true story drama about a young transgender man in rural midwest US. Recall hearing a lot about it at the time and despite a few scenes that don't hold up that well, it's immensely engaging and Swank is fantastic in the lead. A tough watch at times too but all handled really well. Made me wonder how much attitudes in that part of the world have changed in the 20-odd years since. It'll be on my mind for a while at least. [8]

7. The Menu
    Wonderful stuff! Like a pitch black parody of the fine dining world. It's best to go in knowing as little about it as possible, secure that you're in for a treat. Fiennes is on top form but it's a great cast all round. Some proper laughs coupled with lots of neat touches throughout that made it very enjoyable. A good film to experience again with folk that haven't seen it I reckon. I could witter on for ages but just watch it! [9]

8. Harold and Maude
    Not sure I'd go so far as to call it a comedy but there a good few laughs so maybe? A young man obsessed with death forms a bond with a woman approaching her 80th birthday. Totally on board with this from the brilliant opening through a series of wacky encounters, with a very sweet story at it's heart to hold it all together. So many details to enjoy - Harold somehow always wearing the same outfit as this shrink got me every time. A few dips but doesn't drag on so hardly noticeable and the highs more than make up for those points. [7]
  • Harold & Maude is a good'un.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Raid Bonkers but a right old laugh. As impressive a fight choreography fest as you will ever see.

No fat, no frills, no exposition but still squeezed a story in like a good (ie short) videogame cut scene. Infinite ammo and HP. Go.
  • Been a long time since I watched Boys Don't Cry but I remember it hitting me pretty hard.
  • The Raid is amazing, Still stands up nowadays because of it being such a taut, self-contained experience.

That said, the sequel is worth a watch. Some people (weirdos that they are) even prefer it, for taking the same action out into the wider world.
  • I preferred the sequel because it's so confidently outrageous.
  • raid 2 is a bit too bloated imo. the world building doesn't really work and its not as lean as the original.

however the fight set pieces are next level. the sequence from hammer girl and baseball bat bro straight into that kitchen fight is breathtaking
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    raid 2 is a bit too bloated imo. the world building doesn't really work and its not as lean as the original. however the fight set pieces are next level. the sequence from hammer girl and baseball bat bro straight into that kitchen fight is breathtaking
    It really is an incredible sequence, I don't think I took a breath for about 10 minutes.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Matilda - The Musical
    Didnt expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It diverts from the book quite a bit in terms of some of the plot and the key character but this just gives it its own feel. The music is very catchy (Tim Minchin) and most of the cast are excellent. Some of the dance routines with the kids are insane in scale and I say this as someone who aint into dance. 

This is also an odd thing to say about a movie but it has a nice feel of multiculture running through it that feels very British.  I often read on here from people the phrase "fuck this country" in relation to some tory/ right wing shite and I do understand that, but as a younger guy I was always fascinated and a little envious of what I saw as Englands pretty decent mix of different cultures while still feeling British. Whether visiting relations in Coventry or heading to London there is an envious blend of culture in the UK that maybe gets a little overlooked. Not sure if that makes sense to some of you.

Anyway - a great movie, I can imagine seeing this over Christmas for the next few years. [8]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Moneyball
    After the discussion about Youtube clips, I felt an urge to revisit one of the best sport movies and for my money Brad Pitts finest role. Considering its set in a sport world I have no connection to and is about stats it shouldnt engage as well as it does but its very well paced and its characters are all well defined and engaging. Up there with Any Given Sunday as a brilliant film about a sport I dont really care about. [9]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I've watched Moneyball 4-5 times and I don't think I'll ever get bored of it. Such a great film.
  • The Menu
    This is an odd one. Individually there's quite a bit to admire. The performances are uniformly good, the premise is interesting but...  It didn't work for me.

Fundamentally it felt like a film with a good idea, but no sense of what to do with it. It felt like it wanted to make a point, but couldn't quite decide what that point is. The motivations of various characters fall in and out of focus, and whilst the film keeps telling you there's a fundamental message that it's all leading up to - that never really happens. (It dances around lots of them - but can't quite seem to pin its colours to the mast - meaning that none of them really land.). What's more, it's assertion that it's all about something, detracts from letting it merely be mindless fun.

That fundamental lack of commitment runs all the way through it. It's rare that I watch a film and think "this should have been nastier" but I think I would have liked it more if it had pulled its punches less. Don't get me wrong - it goes to some pretty dark places - but again it felt like it was the idea of darkness it was playing with, rather than truly embracing it. 
    Spoiler:
    Or, as intimate, it could have gone the other way and leant into the inherent campiness of the premise. (My spoiler comment would have worked for that approach too.). The line down the middle that it chooses feels the least interesting.

I feel like a studio somewhere decided they wanted something like an Ari Aster movie, but in a format that "regular" audiences would stomach. (Pun intended)

Ultimately it's like the cuisine it pastiches. Beautiful to look at, with the illusion of being something more - but ultimately not terribly filling, and you might have been better off with a good honest burger.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moneyball is probably my favourite sports film ever.  Slap Shot comes close but for different reasons. Raging Bull runs it close - it's probably toppled because it's such a sad story while Moneyball is uplifting. I liked Tin Cup too but haven't seen that in a long time.

I'd watch a proper film about Bodyline. There was BBC drama series about that which was very good way back in the 80s/90s.
  • @tin_robot - Agree with the Menu comments (although I did enjoy it more it seems) I felt it could have pushed things just a bit more - and I'm not someone who is into gore in movies. I still really enjoyed it though.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’m on board with Dave for The Menu. All Tin’s criticisms are completely valid, but I enjoyed the ride as a bit of lean entertainment. It made me laugh, it gave me a couple of ‘oh shit’ moments and I even enjoyed it pulling some punches I’d been expecting it to take - the surprise of it not going in some directions (particularly the one in Tin’s spoiler tags) worked for me.

Not a great film, but a fun one. And refreshingly unlike a lot of other stuff airing at the moment. That’s my take, basically.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    M3gan

I thought this would be Blumhouse level shite but it's a silly fun thing. Surprised me how much I enjoyed it. Switch ya nut off and go into it.
  • Is there a reason that it looks like a sex doll?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Prob be part of the merchandising
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interstellar

Yeah. Watched this again. I think this film affects me more because of the thought of raising a smart child. When we were raising our girls it felt like keeping a candle lit in the wind.  The apparent love of being stupid and being suspicious of "tedious experts" makes this a hazardous time.

I'm pleased they are both STEM graduates but I'm now more worried about them being happy. But at least they have options re the practical side of life.

Fuck. What a film.  Third viewing and I noticed things I hadn't before (or else I just plain forgot).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Manhunter  80s Michael Mann version of Red Dragon. Splendid version with Brian Cox in the Lector role who plays it quite differently and in some ways more sinister because his Lector doesn't show his intelligence off the way Hopkins' does.

Very, very 80s. Looks great. Like a Miami Vice episode. This is one of those films I've only ever seen parts of so it was great to view it beginning to end. On iPlayer.
  • 7. Star Wars with a live orchestra
    Been a long while since I watched a New Hope. Pretty sure I haven't seen it on the big screen before either. Forgot how slight it is, just does enough each scene to keep pushing it along. Interesting experience with the orchestra too. Had to keep reminding myself to stop looking at the screen all the time and really listen to the music. Also forget how many of the major musical themes you remember come from later films, Empire especially. Shame it was the "remastered" version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    7. Star Wars with a live orchestra Been a long while since I watched a New Hope. Pretty sure I haven't seen it on the big screen before either. Forgot how slight it is, just does enough each scene to keep pushing it along. Interesting experience with the orchestra too. Had to keep reminding myself to stop looking at the screen all the time and really listen to the music. Also forget how many of the major musical themes you remember come from later films, Empire especially. Shame it was the "remastered" version.

That would be sweet.
  • davyK wrote:
    Manhunter 80s Michael Mann version of Red Dragon. Splendid version with Brian Cox in the Lector role who plays it quite differently and in some ways more sinister because his Lector doesn't show his intelligence off the way Hopkins' does.

Very, very 80s. Looks great. Like a Miami Vice episode. This is one of those films I've only ever seen parts of so it was great to view it beginning to end. On iPlayer.

I've probably seen that more than Lambs. And I've seen Lambs a fair few times. I tried to get into podcasts during lockdown so we did a few called 'The Rewatchables' in the car on the way to work. The Manhunter episode was one of the better ones iirc.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Manhunter 80s Michael Mann version of Red Dragon. Splendid version with Brian Cox in the Lector role who plays it quite differently and in some ways more sinister because his Lector doesn't show his intelligence off the way Hopkins' does.

I've probably seen that more than Lambs. And I've seen Lambs a fair few times. I tried to get into podcasts during lockdown so we did a few called 'The Rewatchables' in the car on the way to work. The Manhunter episode was one of the better ones iirc.

The original is bar far the best. Wills character is obviously more troubled by his gift of empathy in the original.

Plus the flaming wheelchair is done better. As is the weirdly sexual blind girl tiger stroking.

Something about the 80's blurry film grade and the synth music add to the experience.

Also i dont know if its just me, but the weird change in frame rate when the tooth fairy bursts through the window at Will always strikes me as odd. seems to be briefly sped up?

PSN - minkymu
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Top Gun: Madlad

This is fucking shite as it is basically just the first film but with Kilmer and Cruise with additional botox.

Loved the bit where they were in the big action scene and as Cruise was flying through the skies a literal goose flew next to the plane and he saluted it crying.

Fly fly zip zoop stuff is enjoyable but it's the cheesiest bag of shit since out of date Wotsits. I don't have a hard on for macho BIG MACHINE OILY MUSCLE MEN MOUSTACHE stuff though so mileage may vary.
  • Top Gun: Madlad

This is fucking shite as it is basically just the first film but with Kilmer and Cruise with additional botox.

Loved the bit where they were in the big action scene and as Cruise was flying through the skies a literal goose flew next to the plane and he saluted it crying.

Fly fly zip zoop stuff is enjoyable but it's the cheesiest bag of shit since out of date Wotsits. I don't have a hard on for macho BIG MACHINE OILY MUSCLE MEN MOUSTACHE stuff though so mileage may vary.

The only review I need.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!