• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

While only those who have experienced war first hand will know what hell is, the rest of us have started to get an inkling of it with films like 1917, Come and See and now this - this most relentless tale of a young German man's experiences, and the madness, at the Western front in WW1. This is a truly horrifying film. It's a great portrayal but is it a great film? Does it cross the line by overdoing it?  If it helps to reduce the hurling of young men into war then it's necessary - and I believe all leaders should be schooled by having to watch content like this.

There's mud, blood, mutilation, pathos, fear, panic and sheer chaos - delivered with technical excellence. It's underlined with a powerful, spasmodic soundtrack that on its own creates a sense of dread and doom. The acting is superb throughout too.

You have to be prepared to watch this. I had to do it over 2 nights. It's 2:30 runtime feels longer - not because it is a bad film - but because it is so good at portraying the horror of it all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I thought it was brilliant.
    Absolutely brutal and unapologetic. The journey you go on with the lead character is a fantastic way of showing what those men went through, I took the lead as a amalgamation of experiences . I'll forgive a couple of bits of artistic license for the greater message.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I thought it was brilliant. Absolutely brutal and unapologetic. The journey you go on with the lead character is a fantastic way of showing what those men went through, I took the lead as a amalgamation of experiences . I'll forgive a couple of bits of artistic license for the greater message.
    Spoiler:

I agree re its brilliance. It's almost too good at what it sets out to do.
    Spoiler:
  • The Menu
    Ralph Fiennes hams it up as the executive chef who goes too far. Surprisingly lightweight dark comedy, that’s actually carried by Anya Taylor-Joy in an ‘I wasn’t even supposed to be here today’ role.
  • davyK wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I thought it was brilliant. Absolutely brutal and unapologetic. The journey you go on with the lead character is a fantastic way of showing what those men went through, I took the lead as a amalgamation of experiences . I'll forgive a couple of bits of artistic license for the greater message.
    Spoiler:

I agree re its brilliance. It's almost too good at what it sets out to do.
    Spoiler:

I'm glad I got to see this in the cinema. Very cinematic film and a shame it only had a limited release.

There's a short making of on YouTube. Haven't checked it out yet.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Wild Tales (2014)

One of my all time favourites, seen it five times now. The wedding segment is a masterpiece.
  • 2. Paddington - 14/1
    Enjoyable enough, specially with the kids, but ultimately full of nothing but tired cliches.
    [6]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You heartless monster
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It's a 10 for forever linking it to the Queen, despite her almost certainly never having watched it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's something about Paddington as a character I just don't like. There's something very tame middle class about it.
  • All a bit colonial as well.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The sequel is better.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The sequel is better.

Not been enough time to judge Charles imo.
  • P2 is part of the mighty Hugh Grant Renaissance.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    The sequel is better.

Not been enough time to judge Charles imo.

Ha ha
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Hunger Games

Middle daughter away, so decided to watch this with the older one, and she enjoyed it. It's kinda.. meh... but we might watch the other ones, who knows. A prequel out this year too, apparently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Wicker Man (1973)

I was convinced I had seen this - maybe I had but it's so long ago I had no memory of the detail. I won't consider this a rewatch. I watched the 102 minute director's cut which is the longest surviving version. I got the BluRay of this at Christmas which has 3 versions.

It's an extraordinary film. The music is one of the most striking features - there is singing at several parts of the story which is riffed upon in the soundtrack. It's beautifully done.  English folk traditions make me uneasy. Maypoles, Morris dancers et al have creepy undertones for me and this just plays into that. 

Woodward and Lee are brilliant in it and the female cast is made up of a handful of gorgeous women with Britt Ekland the most recognisable. It's a very sexually charged film too - feels very much of its time but also feels unique. 

Watching this only makes the crime of the remake even worse. The final shot is simply spectacular and one of the greats of cinema. Astounding piece of work.

Highly recommended.
  • Won’t you come say “how do”? That was one of the songs, right?! The one I remember. Haven’t seen it on yonks though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I don't know which version I saw, would have been on BBC, but it's something I'd class as a masterpiece.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I put the subtitles on and the song lyrics are by turns bawdy and creepy as fuck.

I'm not sure the different versions really make that much of a difference - not narratively anyhow. The cut I watched tonight does set the scene quite well - it introduces Woodward's character for example - but then some might prefer to not have stuff like that. It doesn't take anything away having that at the start though.

Pretty sure I caught a young Jamesie from Rab C Nesbitt in one extra scene at the start.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)   Can't help myself.  They are window dressing in this film - so that's my defence.
  • 9. Naked Gun 33 1/3

Hit and miss Drebin threequel.

[6]
  • My least favourite of the guns by a mile but still better than most Hollywood comedies.
    SFV - reddave360
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    2. Paddington - 14/1 Enjoyable enough, specially with the kids, but ultimately full of nothing but tired cliches. [6]

You fucken' what mate?!
    Knew you was a bad egg I did.

Giving you a hard stare right now
  • Paddington is proper good.
  • 3. The Banshees of Inishirin
    It's only mid January, but I think I may have watched the best film I'll see this year. The whole cast are superb and it looks absolutely stunning - the slate grey of the sky and landscape offset by the vibrant greens of nature and reds of roof tiles gives every frame the aspect of a painting. As you'd expect from McDonough, the script is hilarious and tragic and if Colin Farrell doesn't win all of the awards there's no justice. Outstanding stuff. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ivan's Childhood is Tarkovsky's debut film and while it doesn't exactly feel like his work it certainly has some early signs; his use of water and rain being one.

It's a fairly depressing affair with little in the way of light relief; set at the Russian/German front in WW2 it is centred around an orphaned boy who has taken up with the local military after escaping from the Germans when he ran with the partisans. He is found to be invaluable because of his small size and resourcefulness at reconnaissance , but there's a moral quandry for them. It's very well made and looks great and the performances are just as good but it's heavy going because of the subject matter - so you need to be in the mood for it. Structurally it's narratively led with some flashbacks and so pretty accessible.

Mosfilm on youtube have most of Tarkovsky's output available for free - quality transfer and the subtitles are excellent. Worth checking the channel out if this is your thing.
  • 3. Weird: the Al Yankovic Story
    Very silly "biopic" about weird Al with Daniel Radcliffe as the lead. A lot of fun and quite funny but probably just a little bit too long. Like most modern US comedies.
    [6]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!