Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Men. Aside from a key element that tickled me more than perhaps it should have (see spoiler), and the fact that it leans slightly too hard into forced artsy weirdness at times, I thought this was excellent.
    Spoiler:

I will now watch Annihilation.

Annihilation is superb.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hated it.
  • Men strayed into League of Gentlemen territory for me.
  • It definitely approached Royston Vasey a few times.  A woman or two in the pub would've tipped it over the edge.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Man for All Seasons is as old as I am. Made in 1966 and starring the likes of Paul Scofield and Robert Shaw.

It's an adaptation of a play - and listen too hard and the sharp dialogue will cut your ears off. There isn't a spare syllable in the dialogue. This is acting at its greatest. A superb film that was showered with oscars. This has got me looking down the Sir Thomas More rabbit hole as he was a prolific writer and was very much part of the modernisation of Britain.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 2. Slumberland

Another Netflix "christmas" movie - this one tries hard but it just doesnt hit the mark. Big Jason tries hard and its A for effort but he doesnt have the naturally charisma of a Carrey or Williams which the role needed and the movie over stylies the real world setting which takes from the dream world. A pity (5)
    SFV - reddave360
  • 3. The Mitchells vs the Machines

Wonderful cartoon from the Sony studies who for my money have a better recent track record than Pixar. Its another fun movie from Lord and Miller and I really wish they had got to do that Star Wars movie (up there with the missed opportunity of the Edgar Wright Ant Man movie). It has the comedy chops of the Cloudy Movies (both worth a watch) but feels bit more "hip" with its humour a-la the Spiderman: into the spiderverse movie. Blends the internet visuals nicely and overall a top little movie (8 )
    SFV - reddave360
  • 4. Boiling Point
    Despite being just over 90 minutes this took me a few goes to get through not because it is bad but because it is just so close to the bone of those very worst restaurant services. Honestly felt too much like a horrible day at work at times (which is testiment to the accuracy of it) It's brilliantly tense and well worth a look. Stephen Graham is excellent as always but I though the rest of the cast were on point as well (if you worked in restaurants or pubs you can probably identify with many of the characters) (9)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Big Jason

Donovan?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Big Jason
    Donovan?

No, sadly its Momoa. I feel for the guy - he comes across well in interviews and he does try but he comes across as a trying too hard in this.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    2 - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - ★★★★☆

Decided to rewatch this in 4K. The CGI is really starting to show its age now in terms of general image quality although the HDR peps it up a bit and according to reviews the picture is the best it's ever been compared to the Blu-ray. I can't help but like this, even though some of the writing is a bit wonky. It feels quite focused and pacy compared to Strange World, which was oddly listless in some ways. The environmental themes are actually more resonant now than they were at the time. Great soundtrack too. Not the best film ever but underrated.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Harry Brown  Dear Lord, where did this come from?  Kind of a Brit Gran Torino merged with a bit of old school (Woodward) Equalizer. Michael Caine is simply stunning in this. My God that man is a real film star. There's even shades of Jack Carter here once he goes into revenge mode, but it's backed up with real pathos, sense of loss, pain and vulnerability. One of the best things he has done in decades. (It's a 2009 film - how on Earth did I miss this?)

If you want Brit low lives on parade you don't need to go further than this. The young lads playing the hoody scum are absolutely top tier. (Plan B the rapper plays his part with menace and vileness to the max - he also provided the end credits music) Of course one has to suspend belief at times but the performances, the atmosphere (was shot on an abandoned housing estate) and the way tension is built is superb. The cops are annoying and more could have made of that aspect but I absolutely loved this.

I had a dream last night - in it I found a small hole in the ground filled with unspeakable insect/beasties that were attacking each other, mating and writhing in their own filth.  I went to the kitchen, boiled a kettle, and poured it in - I find it hard to believe that this film didn't influence that dream.  Not sure what that says about me....  :/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That guy from Harry Potter who played his old mate was great too.  (edit: David Bradley - can never remember his name - he's excellent in everything he does).

Christ - Sean Harris was one of the lads - he's the same effing age as me - he is cut to the bone in this. Fucking hell. I recognised his face but thought it was just a lookylike.
  • I thought Harry Brown would be terrible but it's very good at what it does. Better than Torino, probably.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - I approached with caution but Caine is mesmerising in it. As are the guys playing the scumbags.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Suicide Squad  From the sublime.....

I nearly gave up at the start but for some reason I kept watching this. Recorded it on the old TiVo before the Christmas break. I actually think there was a very good (or at least very entertaining) film there trying to get out. Style over substance ultimately. Pretty forgettable despite it trying so hard.
  • Whatever happened to Plan B anyway?
  • Haven't heard much of Plan B for a few years. He was involved in some good stuff for a short while. Ill Manors wasn't bad either. Maybe he never recovered from the cringe once he sat down and watched The Sweeney...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Whatever happened to Plan B anyway?

Exactly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - had me googling. Went into film making but 2012 was his last. Ill Manors (wrote and directed)... 7.1/10 on imdb.
  • davyK wrote:
    Suicide Squad  From the sublime.....

I nearly gave up at the start but for some reason I kept watching this. Recorded it on the old TiVo before the Christmas break. I actually think there was a very good (or at least very entertaining) film there trying to get out. Style over substance ultimately. Pretty forgettable despite it trying so hard.

Was this the first one with Will Smith as Deadshot and Jared Leto as The Joker or the second film with John Cena which is easily the superior movie?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Suicide Squad  From the sublime..... I nearly gave up at the start but for some reason I kept watching this. Recorded it on the old TiVo before the Christmas break. I actually think there was a very good (or at least very entertaining) film there trying to get out. Style over substance ultimately. Pretty forgettable despite it trying so hard.
    Was this the first one with Will Smith as Deadshot and Jared Leto as The Joker or the second film with John Cena which is easily the superior movie?

First one.

it's as shallow as the pool my girls paddled in in our back garden when they were toddlers. Its attempts at backstory - esp re Smith - are cringeworthy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm annoyed at Will Smith. I like a lot of his stuff (not counting this) but that slap-gate thing and that apparant fuckwit of a wife he tolerates really spoils.
  • Yea, shallow is probably an appropriate word.
    I would've used "shite" but that's probably a bit harsh
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like a bit of shallow shit but this was trying to be something more and had no self awareness of how bad it was.
  • Hopefully now Gunn is rebooting the DCEU we’ll finally get the Captain String movie the world has been waiting for!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • How many times has DC rebooted their movies and characters now?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!