52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • No, I gave up cos it was a shit game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FFS
  • 'Clocked it m8' > completed an Elf game under exam conditions. Credit rolls are my ham wraps.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A proper Sega collection like this would be incredible. Up to and including Model 3 releases. Add some sort of filter to fuzz out the lost licence stuff, wotevs. Hopefully the Atari collection does well and someone decides to make it so.

I'm still pretty dirty Virtua Racer apparently didn't do real business on the Switch - was really hoping we'd get budget remakes of the bulk of there arcade games after that, but nope!  Absolutely a proper, arcade life-spanning collection would be gold (as well as Saturn and DC sets while their at it)!

I'm picking through the Atari collection atm - as lovingly crafted as the set is, it's seriously hurt by the iconic games that aren't there.  Almost none of the 2600 games I'd actually want to play are included.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I'm still pretty dirty Virtua Racer apparently didn't do real business on the Switch - was really hoping we'd get budget remakes of the bulk of there arcade games after that, but nope! 

Same, proper gutted.

The Sega Ages line had so much potential but all we ever seemed to get was the same handful of MD. I mean who really wants Columns again?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What makes it worse is that even the MD offerings are getting trimmed these days too.  Sonic 3 etc.  Ecco was missing from recent releases maybe?  I think I read something about it being dropped for reasons. The Wii's Virtual Console felt like a new era for retro gaming, in hindsight it may have been the high water Mark*.

*Aside from emulation obvs.
  • 180. Double Dragon Advance - GB Micro (1hr)

Not a series I'm overly familiar with.  I borrowed the Master System port of the original once or twice as a kid (greatstuff, but I didn't love it as much as Vigilante), played a stage or two of a NES sequel with retroking and maybe three screens of Double Dragon Neon on XBLA before deleting it.  Other than that I think this cart is my only other exposure to Billy & Jimmy.  I've had it for years, but I can't remember if I ever played it for long.  

It seems to be in with a shout of being considered the definitive version of the original; there's plenty of forgotten gem chatter online if you look for it.  I played while squinting at a GB Micro on my commute this morning and it took me two full goes to get to the end (even on easy, with 5 lives and 5 credits) as stages with holes in them can chew you up pretty quickly.  Jumping with the shoulder button is awkward, but I had a good time with it for the most part.  Bosses can be a bit disappointing - I'm sure on one occasion a purple version of four guys I'd just killed swaggered out of a door to the boss music.  Weapons are probably more deadly in this than any other scrolling beat 'em up I've played, with the double tonfas able to dish out a ridiculous amount of whoop arse.  Plus it has NUNCHUCKS for a +1.  Overall it's decent.  If it was a GBA release with no history it probably would've been a [6] or [7], but as a spruced up retro release it's probably an [8] for the era.  Ergo I give it 76%, thus making complete sense.  It worked in two player with a link cable I believe, which is always a bonus.       

tumblr_mr4uhgIL3D1s1eb5jo1_250.gifv
  • 181. Eastward - Switch (18hrs 25mins according to the in-game clock/20+hrs according to the system clock).

*Cheek Puff*.  Thank Christ that's over.  I've been plugging away at this for weeks.  It's a Ghibli-ish early 90s action RPG homage with a sort of mystical steam punk vibe and an art style that's extremely easy on the eye.  I think classic JRPG fans had high hopes for this pre-launch, but reviews were mixed/lower than I expected.  Some folks still went potty for it, plenty seemed less impressed (JonB 3/5, for example).  Having finally played it I'm not surprised it didn't set Metacritic alight - the vibrant world, neat little touches, mostly great soundtrack and stunning animation curry favour but can't disguise the fact that the actual game underneath is a bit of a drag.

The main protagonists - John and Sam - seem like a typically weird JRPG take on Joel and Ellie.  Except John is mute (of course - and for no apparent reason), and Sam is the moral compass that tends to point to naive kindness.  John's not mad mute in the 'doesn't say anything but no-one bats an eyelid' Link mould; he's known as the chap who never speaks, which NPCs occasionally mention.  I don't think we're treated to any sort of back story about an event that triggered the silence - he just seems to have voluntarily sent everyone to Coventry.  "What are you talking about?", Sam says to him at one point, even though he clearly wasn't talking about anything, which suggests even the devs couldn't be bothered to go all in on the mute hero trope.  Top of the list of other bizarre exchanges are any scene with an early game character called Uva, who seems to fall in deeply love with John after two or three totally one-sided conversations and a hook up rejection.  Barmy nonsense.     

The main problem - aside from the ceaseless weak dialogue - is the fact that the quest feels like it's made up of disparate elements bashed together. There's an interactive careering Jeep section maybe a third of the way through, but it's utterly pointless and no fun.  None of the minigames are worth their salt (salt is the in-game currency, see?), and nothing added to mix things up seem to result in much more than shoehorned variety.  Character swapping for the combat and puzzles is tedious.  The puzzles themselves are dull, with no ingenuity to any of the solutions, so they just feel like pace breakers.  Enemies respawn every time you return to a screen and often drop on your head/materialise inches away from you, which is obviously annoying.  Battles are just button smash stuff in dire need of a roll move and there's no flow to it - the melee literally plays like a mid-level 16-bit Zelda clone, and it also wins the award for the least satisfying shotgun in any game ever.  Whatever approach you take for baddie bashing it all becomes a chore quite quickly (in a game where nothing else seems to happen quickly).  I think the biggest problem is that every section outstays it's welcome and you end up craving the return of other elements that outstayed their welcome just for a change of scenery.  Dungeons getting tedious?  A waffle heavy fetch quest actually provides some respite.  After plodding around town for ages you find yourself begging for another monotonous dungeon though.  It's a disappointing loop.  And of course there's an instafail stealth section thrown in midway through, which might be a design masterstroke as I ended up being slightly more grateful to take my lumps afterwards.

I really tried to pay attention to the story - honest guv - and succeeded for maybe ten hours even though the dialogue is mostly bobbins from the start, but I threw the towel in during the 'Monkollywood' section.  A dozen monkeys with typewriters could've come up with a better chapter, and that was the point where I realised the plot was just doing random things for no apparent reason.  I couldn't hazard much of a guess about what happened in the back half of the game.  Stuff, basically.  A game like this should have a decent story to keep things ticking over, surely?  I thought that was the point of these text heavy JRPGs.  Especially considering the aforementioned weak combat and dull puzzles.  

It has a certain charm, much as I'm loathe to admit it.  I couldn't have suffered nigh on 20hrs of it without the charm.  It's a wonky charm though, and although I usually wrap up 6/10ish reviews by claiming I'm glad I played them I can't with this one.  I'm happy to play a two hour [6], but a 20hr [6] can fuck off.  Ergo It's getting docked a point.  I wish I'd played Crosscode instead, which had much better central mechanics from what I played, but I've shot my load with the genre for maybe half a decade now, which is a shame.  

This doesn't have enough redeeming features to be worth such a time investment imo, and even though it just popped up on Game Pass I probably wouldn't recommend many badgers check it out past the juicy gwffx.  Die hard trad action RPG fans might enjoy it, maybe.  If you exclude things I've played with Tilly (or head to head pinballing with the wife) this is the 6th longest I've played any game on Switch in over five years of hammering the shit out of the console.  I don't have many long games in me per year and this has left me feeling a bit like an Ian Beale gif.

There's quite a lot more I meant to say about this (performance issues on Switch for a start - it's another one of those games that doesn't like to be played for too long without crashing, and frame freezes regularly). Seven paragraphs and nearly a full day playing it is enough though!  A lot of work has gone into this but making a good game wasn't high enough on the list of priorities. [5].  I knew I wouldn't like it but I had to check (as once upon a time this was my favourite genre thanks to a triple whammy of Mega Drive GOATS), and it cost too much to write off.  

eastward-good-day.gif
  • 182. Andro Dunos 2 - PS5 (1hr)

I've had my eye on this for ages.  It may have been a Retro Gamer review that piqued my interest, I can't remember now (slightly odd magazine at times but I tend to agree with the vast majority of their opinions on nu retro indies).  This is a tardy sequel to an arcade/Neo Geo shooter I've never played that does an excellent job of pretending it was released shortly after its predecessor.  Kinda like Shenmue III, but not shite.  

For some reason it's much cheaper on PS4 than elsewhere, and it's currently half price (£6.49).  I've been getting into my shmups recently, albeit not in the way custodians of the genre would be particularly happy about, but I'm definitely more keen on them at the mo than I ever have been.  I'm happy to play them on the reduced difficulty setting - in this case 'journey' mode - and prefer to feel #likeaboss than like a scrub who didn't reach the third one.  I tend to point out that I'm no expert on the genre whenever I review these, which isn't ever likely to change as I play them like a melt, but I really do have fun with some of them and I know what I like.  This one was an absolute blast to push through with the volume cranked up.  I ran out of continues on stage 7, but thankfully this isn't one of those 'proper' shmups that revel in being mean as it gives you the option to either practice or continue from any stage you've beaten.  Weapons are straightforward - there are four different shot types that you cycle through with the shoulder buttons, and you're free to focus on powering up whichever one(s) you like.  I recently played two ThunderForce games and R-Type Final 2, and although the manual craft speed increase/decrease option in those games is nifty enough I've decided I'm happier with just one speed setting (a tick for Andro Dunos 2).

Nice chunky pixelly graphics, good wave patterns (that feel fair without precise memorisation), decent tunes, solid bosses and a difficulty curve that actually curves rather than shooting straight up into the bullshit zone after one and a half stages.  It's a barebones release that feels like a ROM dump (for better or worse) and the lack of co-op is borderline unforgivable - especially as the original had a two player mode - but I really enjoyed it.  More left-field no-frills sequels to forgotten near-gems please.  [7]

I'm sure @EvilRedEye knows, but this was also released on 3DS.  Assuming the port isn't a disaster it'd be worth picking up imo.

b6eef278284264eeecb72eedc390073b.gif
  • 183. Steamworld Dig 2 - Switch - (4hrs 29mins)

An easy mode replay of an early gen Switch gem. The difficulty drop halved the runtime and made me feel like a SPEED RUNNER the way I smashed through it, which was perfect for a revisit. In an old 52 Games thread I wrote:

I only played the first game late last year, which I'd been deliberately avoiding for ages.  I did the first one on Vita, but I'm glad I caved in and bought this on Switch as I took my time with it at home, instead of racing through in 28 minute bursts (my commute).  End game clock said 8hrs+, which is roughly double the time I spent with Dig.  I'm probably done, but you never know.  They've done away with the procedurally generated stuff, which makes for a tighter quest but also loses a smidge of something.  This is a superior game, but only just, and I'd still recommend the first to anyone who may have started with this.  It's also far easier than the original - I died less, losing less money en route to the credits and rarely had to break a sweat during a nail-biting ascent to cash my stash.  Mining isn't such a risky business in this, and you're never too far from a warp.  The plentiful secrets are handled better though, and the new perks/Metroidy abilities are all welcome.  The music is memorable too.  I'm reluctant to give it a [9], because I don't think it is, quite, but I'm still placing it higher than a couple of 9's on my GotY list as I just loved playing it.  I'm gutted it's finished and wish the mine went on for an extra few miles. [8]

And that still feels about right (an 8 higher than two 9s?!).  I probably should have mentioned how good two particular abilities are and how they maximise the fun of movement 
    Spoiler:

and the secrets really are well hidden - almost every cave has two levels of treasure to find.  I'll mention the quality music again, and I guess I should admit that I don't really care for the visual style all that much.  No real complaints though, it's still a good'un. [8]

steamworld%2Bdig%2B2.gif
  • 184. Okinawa Rush - Switch (80mins)

An idiotic purchase by me.  I liked the look of it pre-launch but strongly disliked the demo.  Plus it was £18, which is a ridiculous price for a 5 level slapdash retro leaning Last Samurai/One Finger Death Punch hybrid.  So what did I do?  Ended up buying it anyway, of course (I find 50% off a bit too irresistable at times and can easily kid myself into thinking I'm saving money even though this should've only cost £9 in the first place).  

It's borderline terrible, to be perfectly honest, but I'll get the plus points in quickly: the visuals are quite nice, the music is good, the cut scenes are neato, there's something almost stylish about the whole shebang thanks to a few nice touches and it feels good to smack people up with any weapons you find throughout the stages (numbchucks!).  Oh, and there's a simultaneous two player mode.

That's about it for positives though, it's a poor game.  Its biggest crime is the fact that the buttons rarely seem to do the same thing twice, which is a whopping misdemeanor that no self-respecting 2D brawler could recover from.  Even double tapping a direction and holding to run seemed to yield differing results.  So it's already off to nu retro jail, even without the additional wonkiness, but just for the record: movement is floaty, fighting is button mashy, the feel of the jump may be the worst I've experienced since playing average games from the era this is trying to replicate, it uses the B button to select things in the menus (aaargh!), the entire front end is a haphazard mess, nothing is explained properly and it does that 'find items in the stage to progress, but lol we're not telling you where they are' thing that I hated 30yrs ago.  There are hostages to rescue too - this can work in certain games, but this isn't one of them.  

You can probably get good at this, and I'm sure there are YouTube videos of people getting S ranks while tearing through the handful of stages on offer on the highest difficulty setting, but those people need to get out more even more than I do.      

1pt added for the boss that shouts 'You are showing such ridiculousness!", 1pt deducted for the fact that the last boss is a direct rip-off of Hades from Disney's Hercules.  I think it thinks it does for flat plane scrolling ninja brawlers what Huntdown did for 2D horizontal fire run & guns, but it absolutely does not.  Deleted and will never play again. [4]

Okinawa_Rush_-_Gif3_-_Radek_Bazak_2021.gif?t=1639499396
  • 48: Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS5) 8/10

I'm always up for a bit of Tetris and need never play Puyo Puyo again (I've never gotten into it, am bad at it, but have played a heap of it for some reason).  This has a nice clean presentation and mixes up normal Tetris and Puyo games with all sorts of variables and crossovers.  I'm not sure if all of them work but the story mode maintains a freshness all the way through, since you never know what you're getting next.  

I didn't pay attention to the story.  There's a bunch or single and multiplayer stuff you can muck around with.

I don't really have much to say. 

49: Need For Speed Unbound (PC) 8/10

This is a pretty bloody good arcade racer.  It is probably most notable for looking like a regular open world racing game but with striking graphic effects and cartoon characters.  It's a unique look and a great one.  With that said, if you're gonna go this far, why not go full cartoon world as well?  I'd be up for it!  Mind you, it looks like no one is buying this half cartoon look, which probably answers that question.  This seems like it will be one of those Top 10 Racing Games YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF! things in a few years, which is a shame.  But the game does exist, and it's pretty bloody good, so we can be thankful for that at least.

It's a pretty typical open world racing game in that you drive to races and do your usual activities (jump off ramps, go through speed traps, drive into collectables and all that).  The more races you do the more cops will be after you, and if they catch you, you lose your winnings.  You go to safe houses to advance the day/night cycle and bank your money, upgrade/paint your car, buy new cars etc.  It's not a bad system but I can't lie, sometimes I just want to get on with the game and the cop chases wore out their welcome pretty badly.  I wouldn't have minded some option to turn the police off to just enjoy the open world a bit.

The actual racing is top fun as you would assume from a Criterion racing game.  Nothing you've never seen before with the drifting and nitro but it works great.  It's a lot of chaotic fun especially towards the end of the game with the faster cars.  

There's a decent variety of cars but it's a bit stingy with doling them out (and money to buy them).  It's certainly no Forza Horizon (with its Oprahlike generosity).  I bought the special edition too which came with a few cars and I'll be buggered if I noticed them (except for the A$AP Rocky car which I got near the end of the game and didn't drive).

It has a story but it's pretty bad or at least it is full of humour that doesn't make me laugh.  I listened to podcasts after a while.  It does have some pretty good music and engines sound good too.

This is a fun racing game with great unique graphics.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    12. Super Kiwi 64

Let's get this out of the way - this has Moot written all over it. It was £2.69 (aka free with Gold coins) and took me about an hour to get all 50 gems.
    It's like a simple first attempt to make a Banjo Kazooie, with very few puzzles, rudimentary enemies and the main attraction being the pretty tight controls. There's 8 worlds, each with 6 gems to collect - these range from collecting X number of cogs, to jumping through 5 hoops, to one bizarre level where five of them are given at the end and there's some odd imagery.

I wanted something nice and light and there are just enough Rare vibes going through it (the music is also pretty great) to have a pleasant 55 minutes or so, that's it complete and I'll never play it again. A few nice secrets in Rare style at the end too, including the insane
    Spoiler:
    Good stuff.
  • Didn't realise it was short. I hate collectathon platformers as a rule but an hour of it sounds fine. Will nab, ta.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nintendo Life described the aesthetic as "vaguely cursed" if that helps.
  • It's about time someone pinched the beak fling from Odyssey. Downloaded.
  • 185. B.ARK - Switch (1hr)

Passable cheapo co-op (up to four players) forced scrolling hori shmup I played with Tilly.  It only has six main stages, and none contain much to write home about.  If someone was forced to write home about them I expect the postcard would read 'not really enjoying myself but it's okay'.  There's a dash move that elevates it from the mire and the visuals aren't offensive.  I guess the boss patterns are okay.  Otherwise it's cheap in more ways than one (lightning strikes are particularly annoying) and wouldn't be worth playing solo.  Scrapes a [5] as it did the job for breezy couch co-op with a kid (there are plenty of checkpoints).  Not really something I'd recommend though, even at £1.69, but it's okay as a 'my first shmup' deal.  Must mention the bizarre choice to have some sections scroll from right to left, despite your craft only being able to shoot in the opposite direction (unless we both missed the reverse fire button, which is quite possible).  

Big_Bad_Bosses.gif?t=1627595627
  • 186. Super Kiwi 64 - Switch (1hr)

Ha, this is actually decent.  Initial thoughts were KILL ME NOW because the camera is a disaster, but once I found the good old fashioned snap-to-straight-ahead button (and upped the rotation sensitivity) it was fine for the tasks at hand.  It plays like a cross between a post Mario 64 32-bit 3D platformer and post Mario 64 64-bit one, and absolutely nails the look of a slightly budget N64 game (minus the fog).  I did my time with imitators like Croc (the Saturn version, no less) and this is better than that, for example.  From what I can remember it's not a patch on the likes of Banjo or Donkey Kong 64 in terms of scope, moveset or depth, but I only played those briefly so may be misremembering.  Not that it matters because at the end of the day this is a nostalgia driven romp that launched at £2.69, and the run/jump/glide/beak fling core is genuinely fun once you get into a rhythm.  Nothing is too well hidden, it's not remotely punishing and there's not that much to find.  It's all over in an hour but if it had been any longer it would've crossed the diminishing returns threshold.  A solid and definitely worth playing [7] that knows when to bow out gracefully.  The music isn't annoying either!  Good shout reg.

• 187: Mo: Astray - Switch (6hrs)

No, not a Netflix stand up special - a revisit of one of my favourite indies in recent years.  I loved it first time and it definitely holds up on reappraisal.  I'm baffled by the low key status of it though.  To my mind only Inside is of comparable quality in the genre, and there's a better actual game at the heart of this one, yet it's not on the tip of enough tongues.  The fling & stick mechanic is brilliant and every addition or variation to the core moveset is near perfect, as is the room design.  I'd happily play an entire game based on the brief floating propulsion don't-touch-the-sides segments, for example.  In my experience games like this are often a mixed bag in terms of puzzles, with some being more rewarding than others.  Perhaps it's the enjoyable controls that help the light brain teasers here feel less contrived, because the Solve Stuff element is also strong.  It's more checkpoint platformer than puzzler on the whole though, which suits me.

It looks stunning too, and there's not much wrong with the sound design either.  It's neither too short nor too long, doesn't overuse any of its main ingredients and plays a surprisingly strong boss game.  Plus it's not a roguelike and it's not a Metroidvania - it's a good old fashioned keep-on-keeping-on, mostly linear experience. You won't get lost and you rarely have to backtrack.  There's no RNG and you don't have to do it all again when you die.

If I had to nit pick there are a couple of things worth mentioning, but I don't have to because it's my review.  One of the best indies of the past decade, it amazes me that games like this and Valfaris can be so good yet relatively unknown.  An absolute treat. [9]

ed1fa1_9f45cf54d98840f29eafa6d1ccf4a068~mv2.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need to play it some more
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm, available on mobile...
  • Elf 7 = Moot 9, makes sense.
  • But pretty sure elf is right.
  • Well now I don't know what to believe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    13. Pentiment

Well that was a side swipe, from a bus. I went in thinking it would be little more than a visual novel, and here I am, about 15 hours later, cursing myself for decisions I've made, for people I damned, and for those tiny decisions that can upend a town.

Pentiment is about the lies stories we tell ourselves in all aspects of our lives day in and day out just to get through being. It's about the ways in which we conduct ourselves in our pleasantries, and the impact a slight word can have upon someone, massively far down the line. It's about the nature of religion, or storytelling, of art, and of value in aesthetics. It is about the weight of history, the expectations placed upon people and families and the need to conform.

It is thoroughly incredible and my new goty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!