52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 161. Geometric Sniper - Switch (80 mins)

Neat little Where's Wally/Hidden Folks (with a sniper rifle) budget title - £1.99 if you bite at the 20% off launch price - that doesn't quite execute everything perfectly but ends up being a laugh anyway.  The appalling translation and how the fuck am I supposed to know that? element that occasionally comes into play add to the charm to a certain extent, but the frankly outrageous decision to have exact lookalikes of your target wander around the stage on occasion hobbles its shins a little.  It must be a programming oversight rather than a design choice, surely?  I mean, I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I would've thought not having two identical targets bowling around a given stage at once would've been on the whiteboard at the inception of the whole 'snipe the character that looks like this' idea.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and killing the wrong one triggers a fail state.

Anyway, it's fine for a couple of quid and I'll play any sequels if it spawns a franchise.  [6]

Gif_01_GS.gif?t=1655575849
  • Damn. What a fucked up idea for a game.
  • Your targets are all terriorists with a danger level out of five. It might look shallow but the story gets pretty derp in places.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot playing it so nobody else has to
  • Looks like a nasty version of Toem
  • Tilly's Grounded review (spoilers alert):

20221113-132526.jpg
  • Incredibly work from Tilly.
  • I must remember that technique for padding out a word count.
  • JonB wrote:
    I must remember that technique for padding out a word count.

Real Michael Owen volleying past primary school kids vibes.
  • 162. Somerville - Xbox Series S (3-4hrs)

I'm aware that my hatred for this is starting to become an obsession, so I'll wind my neck in a bit here.  Maybe.  Limbo was a delight and Inside is a modern classic up there with the greatest indies ever made.  This isn't a Playdead game but given the personnel, style and neatly drip fed teaser trailers I think pretty much everyone with this on their radar was expecting it to be something at least a bit special.  I was hyped anyway - spiritual successor to two bangers arriving 'for free' (on my birthday!) - then the reviews started rolling in.  Let's be honest, in modern money a widely reviewed game with a metacritic average at the arse end of the 70s sets off one or two alarm bells, right?  It's low, despite the fact that someone will usually pop up to say actually it's quite high because 5 is average!.  I'm a retro fan, but games are generally much better than they used to be imo, which makes this below average at best, and Jon's review is the only one I've seen that tells it straight.  No fucking way is this a 7/10 level game when even turning a crank or a dropping from a rock feels wrong.  

Straight off the bat the stuttering framerate of the slow crawl intro as the camera follows a car had me concerned.  There are worse crimes, but it's not a good first impression.  Stylish flat shaded visuals tend to mean smooth performance, as a rule of thumb, but armed with nothing but naked eye and an 'I reckon' I bet the Digital Foundry fps graph would be up and down like a fiddler's willy.  When you take control of a character it's immediately obvious that the decision to add 3D depth to the gameplay was a mistake, and it creates problems that never go away.  Even removing a wooden plank from a doorway (something you'll end up doing umpteen times) becomes annoying because there's no way to know which prescribed direction you should be thumbing the stick.  Up to lift it?  Nope.  Right, to slide it to one side?  Guess again fella.  Could left be right? *wrong choice buzzer sounds*.  In this case it might require you to hold down down, prompting your character to slowly yank the object off the doorway, but all bets are off for the next plank obstruction.  Remember how almost every section of Inside was brilliant, from the dogs at the fence to the nightmare mermaid dread to that ending?  Now imagine a wonky copycat with literally no brilliant sections and nothing that springs to mind that could even charitably be referred to as good, merely an assortment of weak bits and shit bits.  Yes, everything is exacerbated by the dodgy controls, but even with a perfect interface most of the puzzles would stink.  I can't even be bothered to explain how they work, because for the most part they don't really, and you just muddle through, often trying things that don't work until they do, learning from non-predictable mistakes or reloading if you think progression is bugged (which it was for me, at least twice).  

The finer points of the plot are ambiguous, and I assume the devs want you to ASK QUESTIONS, but the ones that popped into my head were things like does the main character hate his dog?  Is it a ghost dog that he can't actually see?  He must be able to climb over that, surely? Why is he walking everywhere now, is there a run button? Is this a fucking dead end then? and why is this so shit?  I'm sure there are people out there that will say this GOES PLACES due to the stylistic shift of the denouement, but straight to the bin is the destination it deserves.  

Truly a horrific game.  I honestly can't think of anything worse in the past ten years, not that anyone's heard of at any rate, and I genuinely don't think the following score is too harsh. It may be weighed down with a disappointment factor of 10, in which case feel free to add a whole point if you think I'm being unfair, but I considered a lower score anyway.  [3] 

I had more fun with I Am Fish!  Don't wait for a patch because this is unfixable - if you're going in, treat yourself to the full calamitous mess and go in now.  If you choose to just watch instead, don't mute the chat as whoever's playing it for the first time will explain why nothing works as they wade through the bullshit.  Once the credits roll you can return to seek out alternate endings apparently, which made me think of the 'and he still has hell to look forward to' scene from Se7en.

78a3e615-8cf8-4f36-acb7-965b1c72e7f2_screenshot.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I had more fun with I Am Fish!

Fuckin lol maybe I am out after all
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    does the main character hate his dog?  Is it a ghost dog that he can't actually see?
    Nodding extra hard at this bit. I don't think he ever acknowledges the dog once they set off. But it's not just the dog - none of the family seem bothered about the rest, and the absence of voices makes it seem like no one's talking to each other. How anyone found it touching or powerful I've no idea.
  • Baffling.  I'm fascinated by the whole thing.
    Spoiler:

163. Inside - Switch (2.5hrs)

I had to check.  There was no need to double dip on this whatsoever as I played it on the TV my Xbox One S is connected to (where I bought Inside at launch)...but it's £1.79 on Switch at the mo and I wanted to see what the port was like.  Pretty much flawless, as it happens (albeit at 720p on the good old burn-in monster).

The game itself is just as good - if not better than - I remembered.  A near flawless procession of top tier set-pieces that culminates in the greatest ending in the history of videogames.  Yes, even better than the original arcade ending to Golden Axe. If games are art this deserves to be hung behind bulletproof glass and revered for generations, whereas Somerville is something a parent would be reluctant to stick on the fridge.  

I can't suppress the urge to slap a [10] on it, so I won't.  This might be the only occasion I've played through a contemporary single player experience three times since I've been old enough to legally purchase this game [or a canine companion in the UK], and I expect I'll play it again at some point.

tumblr_obvb03QDPo1sarywjo2_400.gif
  • 31.God of War ‘18 - 13 Hours - 10/10 - PS5

What I said in 2018: God of War - - 14 Hours - 10/10 - PS4 Pro
    Incredible game, absolutely loved it. Would of been happy with another 10 hours of it. Absolutely stunning, one of the best looking games I’ve ever seen. Every inch of it lovingly crafted as were the stories behind them. Absolutely loved it. The combat left a little to be desired but at the same time it suited the weight and abilities of the character. Couldn’t recommend this more and sad it’s over.

And that still hasn’t really changed. Still stunning, still moving, still a 10/10. Ragnarok time.
  • 164. Mercs (or Senjo no Okami II, as it's known on the Capcom Arcade Stadium collection) - 30 mins

I borrowed the Megadrive version a couple of times as a kid, which was a decent port all things considered.  I knew they dropped the co-op mode, which was a massive shame, but I didn't realise the original supported three players simultaneously.  I'm pretty sure the MD version wasn't as long as this either, as stages 6 & 7 didn't ring a bell, so I assume they were chopped for the home port*.  

It's fairly basic to revisit and feels guilty of the 'moar money please' coin-op trappings that were de rigeur at the time.  It's tough to criticise an early 90s arcade game for being an early 90s arcade game though, so I was happy to just accept it.  It's a shame you can't fiddle with the audio settings in the Capcom Stadium package (unless I'm missing something) as the music is too low for my liking, but the basics did the job as far as semi-mindless shooting goes.

Still has one of the best flamethrowers in town, and it'd be worth a bash with two chums for sure.  Fits the screen nicely with the FlipGrip attached too.  The package is 50% off at the moment, which is the lowest it's been on Switch since launch.  Looking forward to choosing what to play next, as retro packages go it's very nicely put together.  84%

PertinentEdibleIndianhare-size_restricted.gif

*It's also quite possible I didn't make it that far without the ability to drop an extra coin in whenever I fancied.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I borrowed the Megadrive version a couple of times as a kid, which was a decent port all things considered.  I knew they dropped the co-op mode, which was a massive shame, but I didn't realise the original supported three players simultaneously.  I'm pretty sure the MD version wasn't as long as this either, as stages 6 & 7 didn't ring a bell, so I assume they were chopped for the home port*.
    From memory, it included both the full arcade levels and a MD specific version which was a bit different (or maybe quite a lot different - I can't remember exactly). It was pretty substantial for an arcade port.
  • Ah yes, 'original mode' with all new stages and a different plot apparently. Might check the Master System version out at some point, not sure if I've ever tried it
  • 47: God of War Ragnarok (PS5) 9/10

Good old Sony putting out one of their trademark big arse single player adventures.  I think this one is an improvement over the great GOW '18 reboot in a lot of ways - it mixes it up a lot more with more characters (both goodies and baddies) and places to visit.

It had a SLIGHTLY weak opening in that there was a bit of an 'oh , it's not a PROPER PS5 game' feeling - that's mainly on it opening in an area that's pretty dull visually, you're doing the same fights as in the previous game, it has the crouching/shimmying through a cave to hide the loading screens, that kind of thing.  It opens up a lot though and there are some really nice looking spots to visit.  I think Kratos's beard has better physics.  It's not as exciting as how good Lara's hair was in the Tomb Raider reboot but there's only so much you can do with a bald fellow I suppose.

I think the fighting is good but also I was a bit sick of it before it began.  It's the kind of fighting where you're always fighting a few too many people who take a few too many hits to kill.  Kratos is a large man with a scary axe but the enemies just no-sell it a bit too much.  I also didn't like the juggle physics where the enemies get all floaty.  It all works and you get heaps of moves and stuff as the game goes on but I was only ever excited for the bosses.

The story is really fun with a big cast and all sorts of shit going on.  There were so many times I would be having a great time with a main story level and be a bit sad it had ended, only for the next level to come along and I'd get swept up in that.  There were a couple of bits at the end where wasn't sure why certain characters were doing certain things, and some of the wink wink dialogue bits I didn't think worked, but it's mostly great.

Big shout out to the accessibility options btw.  Love that you can just hold O in the QTEs instead of button mashing (I have no faith in fragile modern console controllers!),  But you can also set it so Kratos automatically jumps over ditches and picks up loot.  No way I'm am I pressing a button to pick up loot like a rube.  More of this please.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yep I had auto pick ups switched on in TLOU2 (I think). Love a raft of accessibility options.
  • Yeah stuff like that goes such a long way - There's also an option to have a larger timing window for puzzles which was handy.

When you're just playing a game for the story and don't care about the puzzles or fighting, it's so appreciated.
  • All from Capcom Arcade Stadium on Switch....

165. 1944: The Loop Master - 40 mins

I know next to nothing about this series, so was surprised to see so many on the collection (because I didn't know more than maybe three entries existed).  I played 1943 last year, which was fun, but for a non-nostalgia fuelled quick visit this was even more rewarding.  It keeps a lid on its nasty streak for a start, which probably helped, but it also looks nice, plays well and knows how to feel like an arcade game.  The boss death pixel art panels that slap in one by one as a guardian explodes are a nice touch, and 16 shortish levels is good time not long time stuff.  I'm not happy with the sound for any of these Capcom Stadium games unfortunately, as to me they all sound disappointingly thin on Switch (with or without headphones - haven't tried any on a TV yet tbf).  I get that the nature of the emulation probably makes it 'impossible' for the devs/package curators to easily separate the music channel from the sound effects on menu sliders, but what I really want to be able to do with almost all of these retro titles is crank the tunes up and the effects down, rather than having the latter constantly overpowering the former.  Especially if it all sounds a bit more tinny that I'd expect it to anyway.  

Still, this is a great one-and-done vertical shmup and I had a blast.  Glad I picked up the full collection because I'm loving game hopping & coin dropping. 83%

PreciousDependableIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

166. Commando - 20mins

The granddaddy of top down run & guns.  There's no denying this was great at the time (can confirm - they had it at the caravan site I always visited as a kid, although I preferred to spend my time with Galaxian), but there's also no pretending it's worth much more than a few goes for most people these days.  An important game in the history of the medium, and still kinda fun, I'm just not sure I'd suggest playing it over other similar titles this influenced, either from the era or since.  

Simple and mean, they don't make 'em like this any more, and sometimes that's a good thing.   

[Insert score here].

ZhtwW0.gif

167. Progear - 35mins

You can't judge something like this after taking it for a credit fed spin.  Having said that, surely most of the campaign is just fucking unreasonable?  Too many bullets m8.  Looks very nice and plays well, but these expert level shmups (lel akshually this is considered to be outside of the top 25 most difficult Cave shooters) aren't for me.  I'm more 'that non survivable occurrence was annoying' than 'shouldn't have got yourself in that predicament', which is clearly why the bullet hell sub-genre isn't for me.  I'll take bullet purgatory from time to time, but there's only so much fun to be had from being shit at learn-to-win shmups (where bullets often seem to take up more than half of the screen) when having a quick bash.  Which I kind of enjoyed, but I wouldn't fancy going back to it.  For me this would get more annoying as I improved, so dropping imaginary 20p's into the simulated cabinet en route to the credits will have to suffice.

68% for scrubs, (massive guess incoming) 89% for the 1CC maestros. 

c9d5493d09f240b6932f194789449615d998c601.gifv

168. Battle Circuit - 35mins

One of those weird scrolling beat 'em ups where crime infested streets make way for quirky nuttiness.  I think it's a tradition with this sort of thing to have one standard character and a supporting cast of bonkers oddities for extra players to begrudgingly select.  In this case the useful/traditional character is basically Sonic Blastman (he's called Captain Silver but doesn't look much like a pirate to me), and the rest are: massive pink emu with a tiny female Rod for its own back (or something; gloss over this bit), stretchy Incredibles guy, cat lady and giant mutant plant.  It supports four players at once, so at least two participants are going to end up with a short straw.  It's actually quite good though, as throwaway examples of the genre go, but it's not likely to trouble anyone's belting belt scrollers list.  Played with Tilly, and she was looking for any excuse to ditch it after 4 or 5 stages (of 7).  78%

game12.gif?w=382

169. Tatakai no Banka - 25mins

Incredibly harsh side scrolling beat 'em up in the King Fu Master/Vigilante* mould that I would have no doubt loved as a kid, but by Christ it's hard going now.  I struggled on a couple of the bosses because there just didn't seem to be a reliable (or reasonable) approach to taking them down - and when I say struggled I don't mean 'it took me a few goes', I mean I was spamming the rewind button for actual minutes trying to land enough blows without dying.  I'm still none the wiser on a particular enemy type, but I assume there must be a better tactic than 'hope for the best while hammering buttons and massively cheating'.  

This is cack tbf, and I spent most of the game regretting the decision to start it, but there are probably worse things to choose from on the collection.  A harmless, charmless duffer that's about as of its time as videogames get. 56%.  Title translates as Requiem to Battle btw (or Battle Elegy, according to a different website), which deserved a better game to back it up really.  The end credits state that 'peace will probably return to this land', which is a relief after all that effort, but it plonks you back at stage one to have another go anyway.  Perhaps peace is confirmed after a second run, GnG style, but I can't confirm. 

*Apparently the guy responsible for Kung Fu Master left IREM for Capcom and this is one of his, hence the similarities.

There doesn't seem to be a gif available so here's someone completely ignoring the fact that level 3 is a cunt:

• 176. Final Fight - Switch (40mins)*

*Turns out I fudged something somewhere along the way, this is actually 176 for the year.  

Another cheeky infinite imaginary money virtual arcade pushthrough (to coin a phrase), this time played solo hopping between characters with each continue.  At one point in the early 90s I had a new favourite game every week, and this had the honour of being my absolute fave ever for at least a month.  The love was based on one go of the arcade cab and repeatedly playing a pal's slightly crummy Amiga version.  Being a Segaboi I've always quite enjoyed mocking the famously squashed SNES port (hi I'm that guy), but there's no denying the fact that I would've lapped up a similarly nice looking Mega Drive version with even less stages that only allowed you to select Haggar.

It's easy enough to pick holes in this compared to many subsequent scrolling beat 'em ups, but this pretty much paved their streets.  It's not a patch on SOR2, for example (can't remember which forumite claimed it was), and I'd have the first SOR ahead of it at a canter too, but this was still an absolutely huge game/game changer.  It screams arcaaaaade and there are a multitude of iconic moments/segments in its 6 levels.  It can be annoying at times (getting mobbed or squashed trying to stand up, for example) and the moveset is a little limited compared to most but it deserves full adulation nonetheless.  Not keen on playing as Cody or Guy when playing solo as Mr. Mayor just seems to wreck in situations where the nippier/weaker characters would struggle, but you can't knock the roster really. Things have changed, and thanks to this they changed quite quickly, but I can't imagine ever not having a blast after booting it up.  Especially with two, ofc. 90%

tumblr_mvqvm4Nh4C1s9677oo1_500.gifv
  • 177. Carrier Airwing - Switch (30mins)

Enjoyable arcade shmup that doesn't inundate you with bullets, which is always nice.  It's the sequel to UN Squadron, so it's no pushover nonetheless, but there are far less wtaf moments than there were in Progear.  I didn't see anything that would make me assume this is an all-timer, but it's perfectly good at what it does and I enjoyed my run.  Nice visuals with some neat touches (a spray effect if you fly too close to water, for example).  Sound was a bit meh again, but I should probably stop banging on about it as music/SE emulation on the whole of the Capcom Stadium Collection seems to hit on the weak side to me.  Good game though. 80%

v2-0f8d4fdd54e3e682b7c178149b42ddc6_b.gif

178. Pix the Cat - Switch (2.5hrs)

Genuinely excellent PacMan/Snake/Chu Chu Rocket hybrid that deserves more appreciation from modern retroheads.  There's some Flicky in here too, but I've already mentioned enough influences really.  You move around boards with perpetual PMan style motion, collecting eggs and depositing chicks in nests while avoiding contact with your conga tail.  The trick is to maximise your combo meter (and thus score and character speed) by collecting all the chicks on a screen before dropping them off (rather than the safer alternative of a few at a time).  Once a board is cleared you can go deeper, but sometimes heading back to previous boards and and entering elsewhere is a viable approach to the puzzles.  It's fucking ace, but the appeal does start to wane after a while thanks to the repetition as you seek to improve.  It's a shame you can't extend the timer as you play, as that might keep the addiction from burning out imo, but the fixed time limit is a conscious decision as learning the boards and eeking out slightly better scores within 200 seconds is the whole point.  It's more about how perfectly you can play than how deep can you go, and maybe the balance isn't quite right for longevity, but it's still terrific.  The laboratory and nostalgia mode are completely different too.  Lab in particular is a neat little 100 stage puzzle game perfect for on-the-go gaming (I played it on Vita years ago).

For 99p, which it seems to drop to every other month, it really is a magnificent little short burst gem.  If I made a thread called my bread and butter: bargain basement bangers, this would be a top tenner for sure. [8]

I've got someone from here called Chrissy on my friends list and they're better than me at this, crai, but it was fun chasing their ghosts. 

I can't find any gifs for it, but it deserves a click:

179. Big Rumble Creed Champions Boxing - Switch (90mins)

Got £50 from my dad for my bday, so I finally pulled the trigger on this (and Triangle Strategy, which I probably won't even like).  I knew what to expect from the mostly middling reviews and I knew I'd probably quite like it anyway.  It looks and plays like a lost Dreamcast movie tie-in, and the arcade centric barebones approach makes it suited for two players with retro leanings.  There's no career mode as such, just an arcade mode with short bursts of chat between stages and occasional training mini games.  I cleared it with Rocky and despite the fact that it's all A Bit Budget, I defy anyone not to get slightly tumesecent when Eye of the Tiger kicks in.  Which it often does.  Plus you get to fight Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago, so it's tough to be too critical when you're grinning like a twat.

When retroking used to host retro days boxing games often fared terribly - the genre really was dogshit for the most part for ages, despite the fact that I latched onto one or two as a kid (Heavyweight Champ on MS springs to mind).  Things moved on a little with the jump to 3D but I'm not sure there's ever been a truly great boxing game.  Ready 2 Rumble was an mp riot and Fight Night Round 3 was a big flex early 360 effort, but neither are what I'd describe as classics.  This could rub shoulders with those two without feeling too self-conscious, it's just not much more than an enjoyable [6] really.  Having said that, it's actually a half decent punchman with a neat rhythm/decent ebb & flow, it's just a little bit irrelevant at the same time.  I bet a lot of folks would've enjoyed this in 2001, there just aren't a ton of people who want those kind of experiences today.  I'll wheel this out for two player bouts now and then if I have mates round, and fully expect to be told that it's shit, but it's not...it's just a bit undercooked for a modern release.  Just about happy with the £16 I paid.  Licensed games with half the pertinent licenses missing are a pet peeve of mine - the Back to the Future Pinball FX3 table has a don't-call-the-lawyers theme tune and randoms providing the Marty/Doc/George speech snippets (ergo what's the fucking point?), but thankfully this has all the necessary likenesses, tunes etc. in place (admittedly it may not be the original voice cast, but it does that JRPG thing of characters blurting out 'hmmm' 'aha', 'what?' alongside the text boxes, so it doesn't matter).

E2737C255649C5EFB5E3CCF1EBC097B4E830396A
  • I'm glad Creed falls into that just okay category - I'll give it a go one day when it gets a Steam ultra discount.  I kinda like the action figure look, and a so-so arcade boxing game is better than the no boxing games I've been playing for the last 10 years.

Also lol at the 170 or 176 games completed confusion.  We're witnessing history here.
  • I might hit 200 if I continue to rinse the Capcom Collection. Or buy the second set of packs. Loving the arcade tour so far, didn't realise how many games from different eras were on there - I assumed they'd mostly be from maybe '89-94ish but there are a few from the early 00s (or very late 90s, can't remember what the title screen to Giga Wing said off the top of my head).

Edit: 1999
  • A proper Sega collection like this would be incredible. Up to and including Model 3 releases. Add some sort of filter to fuzz out the lost licence stuff, wotevs. Hopefully the Atari collection does well and someone decides to make it so.
  • I might 'complete' some games in half an hour each to bump my numbers up this year.

Actually played something like an hour of Vampire Survivors, that's gonna count.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I might 'complete' some games in half an hour each to bump my numbers up this year.

Actually played something like an hour of Vampire Survivors, that's gonna count.

Did you figure out the controls in the end?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!