Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re Smash TV - The only boss I had real trouble with was Scarface - that was the level 2 boss. It was a cheating cunt but if you maxxed your lives out you had a chance of getting past without having to continue. 

I never did....

With the level 1,2 and final boss you have to destroy all sections that flash when you hit them. That takes the armour off - then you can start to damage the actual boss.  The snake boss is a bit hit and hope too but I never had too much trouble with it as long as my life stock was healthy. The game can throw quite a few 1ups at you but there is randomness involved.

But I did "beat" the game on the limited credits it gives you. Got the 10 keys, accessed the Pleasuredome (which is just a screen filled with lady shaped bonus pickups....ahem). The game then throws a curve ball at you and activates turbo mode.....

It's a magnificent port. I played it to death back in the early SNES days. A real favourite of mine.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What always surprised me about that game on the SNES (or in my case Super Famicom I guess) was the smoothness. Other games were slowdown city, especially that early on in the console's life, with more than about 5 sprites on screen (final fight urgh) - but that game chucked out dozens if not hundreds of moving things and barely a flicker

Played it A LOT and yes was bitterly disappointed by the pleasure dome considering it took me months to reach it

remember being mildly jealous that the Megadrive port, whilst a bit shit, included the gore and explosive deaths (flying eyeball when stepping on a mine etc) but that's kids for you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Technically, Smash TV was a miracle. I noticed some graphic breakup on occasions when things got really manic but it was rare and didn't affect gameplay.

The only other game that rivals its sprite shifting is Super Aleste - incredible tech achievement - close to being a real bullet hell game.
  • I played Power Strike 2 last week, then watched some of Super Aleste on YouTube. Stunning looking game. That Mode 7 twisting space station approach stage is ridiculously good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's level 2 of Super Aleste and is my personal best example of Mode 7.

Levels 1 and 2 are too long for a shmup. That's probably its only real flaw. Level 1 in particular is a real slog and it probably put people off. Given it's a 12 level game (though some are very short and are just opportunities to quickly power up) it does seem OTT.

I 1CCed it on Normal which isn't a huge achievement. Pleased me but there are harder modes that are mental.
  • That's part of the reason why I watched it rather than played it. Didn't really fancy save scumming through over an hour of shmup. Looks superb though.

Power Strike (2) gets a lot of love but the weapon drops are a bit annoying. Felt like I had to pay as much attention to dodging pick ups I didn't want as I did to not getting hit. Impressive for a MS title though.
  • Master of Darkness (GG) 

Shameless Castlevania rip of by SIMS released for the Master System and Game Gear by Sega in 1993.

It's the usual Count Dracula hunt, just like the games that inspired it. Its starts off abit more grounded in reality though. The first level sees you travel up the River Thames in Victorian London, with the first boss being none other than Jack the Ripper. After that it's the more common monsters/spirits that you fight.

The controls are tight, but the level design let's it down slightly when compared to the masters at Konami. You'll find yourself in situations where taking a hit is unavoidable a bit to often.

Graphics are very good for the hardware, the music is OK, not bad but forgettable. Basically if you like Castlevania you'll enjoy this, but at the same time your better off playing any of those over this.

3/5

On a side note the Game Gear version of this is very good compared to the Master System version. Every level is either resized or slightly redesigned in order to be playable of the systems lower resolution/smaller screen. Sonic 1 which I played  earlier this year was another example of a Game Gear game being designed right, as oppose the the copy and paste unplayable Master System ROMs that it often got. Yes you Sonic 2.

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've almost worked my way through a Mame2003 full set on my cabinet, getting rid of clones and crap and discovered Violent Storm - I missed this out on my scrolling beat em up tour, but I'm glad I found it now if only for the unashamedly campy styling and extra cheesy soundtrack.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Funkstain wrote:
    What always surprised me about that game on the SNES (or in my case Super Famicom I guess) was the smoothness. Other games were slowdown city, especially that early on in the console's life, with more than about 5 sprites on screen (final fight urgh) - but that game chucked out dozens if not hundreds of moving things and barely a flicker Played it A LOT and yes was bitterly disappointed by the pleasure dome considering it took me months to reach it remember being mildly jealous that the Megadrive port, whilst a bit shit, included the gore and explosive deaths (flying eyeball when stepping on a mine etc) but that's kids for you

What surprised me most was when you said we should totally buy Castle Crashers because it looked fun and I didn't want to buy it but you badgered me into it and then when I bought it and you didn't.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Mate I've still got it and the 360 plugged in ready to go
  • I've almost worked my way through a Mame2003 full set on my cabinet, getting rid of clones and crap and discovered Violent Storm - I missed this out on my scrolling beat em up tour, but I'm glad I found it now if only for the unashamedly campy styling and extra cheesy soundtrack.

Skimmed a walkthrough video earlier. Glorious trash, would play.
  • Donkey Kong (GB) 

Wow, what a great game this is. This is the 1994 action/puzzle platformer that starts off with the 4 original arcade levels and then opens up into a 101 level extravaganza.

The levels are spilt into 9 worlds with a decent variety, my personal fav was the Jungle which is a nod to the gameplay of Donkey Kong Jr which I owned as a kid.

The controls are silky smooth and Mario has a good move set of back flips and hand stands which all have their use.

The only negative I can think of is it doesn't really get much harder the further you progress. There's a few random levels that had me stumped for a while, especially on the Ice level but there's no real progression in the difficulty.

This is genuinely one of the best Game Boy games of all time along with Tetris and Zelda Links Awakening.

An absolute joy.

5/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DK '94 - best game on the GB. One of the best platformers ever on anything.

Play it on the Super Gameboy for a special border with cabinet art. It's beautiful.

I need to make sure that's on the top 100 list.
  • It really did blow me away, best game I've played in a couple of years I think.

Literally could not stop once I started, I did it all in three days. That's quite a rarity for me these days.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed going back to the first 4 levels and using the whole moveset. :)
  • I hadn't even known about this game - will definitely be playing it this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Any interest in changing the topic to Turrican games?  Was watching a vid of Mega Turrican the other day and it looked great, realised I've only played the series on Amiga (and only briefly).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That include Metal Slug and Contra? I'm long overdue returning to those.
  • We could do run & guns, sure.  I've never played more than a stage or two of Metal Slug, which is a ridiculous state of affairs really.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I might even go back and try and finish Cuphead. Got to that bloody beehive level. Not retro though.

NES and SNES Contra are first up for me. I loved NES Contra/Probotector.

I've played more Metal Slug 3 than any other version and while it's great it is a real coin eating bastard of a game. The boss HP is just set far too high and is RSI inducing.
  • Beehive level was one of the toughest for me.  Switch to the green(?) shot that's weaker than the default weapon but homes in on targets.  Takes a little longer but allows you to focus on avoiding enemies without the need to constantly adjust your aim.

Edit: And the invincidash move is an essential equip.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was making good progress after getting past that bloody dragon boss and then hit a wall. Gave up. But the game is so gorgeous it deserves a return. Cheers for the tips.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any interest in changing the topic to Turrican games?  Was watching a vid of Mega Turrican the other day and it looked great, realised I've only played the series on Amiga (and only briefly).

I went through a phase in my teens of completing Turrican 2 once a week. Borderline obsession.

The Megadrive and SNES versions have never grabbed me in the same way (too linear). The grapnel was interesting, but not as much as exploring in T2. Interested to hear how you get on.

• Run and gun eh?!?

Surely, the magnificent Gunstar Heroes should get a mention.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I feel a tier list coming on.
  • Run and gun eh?!?

Surely, the magnificent Gunstar Heroes should get a mention.

Still my No. 1 game of all time.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It really did blow me away, best game I've played in a couple of years I think. Literally could not stop once I started, I did it all in three days. That's quite a rarity for me these days.

This used to be my favourite game on the Gameboy (along with Zelda).
  • Some 'modern' side scrolling efforts, excluding roguelikes..

S Tier

Valfaris

A Tier

Cuphead
    Hard Corps Uprising
    Huntdown
    Rive (haters hate. Moves into twin stick shooter territory though)

B Tier

Blazing Chrome
    Broforce
    Alien Hominid

C Tier

Super Timeforce Ultra
    Butcher
    Bleed/Bleed 2

D Tier

Rise & Shine (still enjoyed it tbf)
    Mighty Goose

Will add more when I think of some. Where do we stand on Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Ghosts 'n Goblins as run & guns? Resurrection and Ultimate would be in there. So would Not a Hero but the cover system/level design makes it part puzzler/route planner too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a blast on NES Contra. Showed my shambling wreck of run and gun skills compared to former glory when I 1CCed this. It's a tough game. I was playing with a stick though so I'm going to revert to pad and try again. It's still as good as it was back in the 90s.  :)

@Moot_Geeza I'd consider G&G to be part of the genre.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I just noticed this thread changed title to Run & Guns, and I hope someone has mentioned Metal Slug 3.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!