52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • III might be a bit better than IV iirc but there’s not a lot in it. Some good levels in IV.
  • It definitely looks nicer at a glance but the slowdown is killing it for me.  Might be a weird emulation issue I guess?  Was crippling in places on stage 2.  

3. ElecHead - Switch (2hrs)

Outstanding puzzle platformer that feels like one of those rare genius indies where everything is perfectly formed.  Think Fez and Celeste levels of flawlessness (feel free to replace those titles with The Witness/Shovel Knight/A Monsters Expedition or whatever might fuel a disagreement or two).  It's not a long game, but it's a wonderfully assured package where the puzzles designed around the limited moveset get absolutely everything right.  It controls well, all abilities and possibilities slot into focus quickly and solutions to trickier problems - which I was ready for by the time they arrived - made me want to kick myself rather than the screen.

Describing it as a sort of (thinking outside the) BoxBoy meets VVVVV via Decap Attack just about works, so I'll go with that, and suggest that anyone interested keeps extra info down to a bare minimum.  There are some deep secrets tucked away within the short adventure - I only found 7 of 20 hidden chips - which I presume provide extra challenge and a further ending.  So at full price it's £7.99 for maybe 2-5hrs of near perfection.  Lovey stuff. [9]

T%2FBFG9.gif
  • That clouds over water stage though.  Wow.

190. Circuit Superstars - Xbox One (6-7hrs)

Excellent isometric-ish TT racer - probably the best since Motorstorm RC - that wobbles a bit with other cars on the track, especially when you're jammed up in the pack (and when it goes off-road), but absolutely succeeds as one car on the road ghost/leaderboard chaser.  

First impressions are great. It looks absolutely fantastic and runs perfectly on Xbox One.  I planned to play this on Series S but there was no need to brave the cold of the loft room as it runs at 60fps on the older HW.  I couldn't comment on the music because I muted it immediately and listened to my trusty Spotify Wheels on Road mix.  The view is perfect too, which often isn't the case in games like this - I only had an issue with it on one track, and that track felt like it was grafted on from an inferior game anyway.  Otherwise it keeps track of the action faultlessly.   

The Grand Prix mode is a bit of a slog, which is a shame, as you have to complete five sets of races per cup (of which there are 16 iirc).  Most of them consist of 5 lap races, but there are a few that require 10 and one bum-numbing marathon containing five tracks with 15 laps apiece.  Which took about an hour to get through (longer races require one or more pit stops too).  I guess this is the nature of the beast, but fatigue sets in if you're not bopping along to the music of Chris Wall & co.  The shite track is a mostly off-road effort with undulating terrain, a few jumps and a silly incline.  It doesn't work and feels a bit like a top down Trackmania at times, rather than the streamlined circuit racer it's supposed to be.  I never saw the AI get flipped, but my car ended up on its roof multiple times after crowd surfing on the journeymen drivers you have to overtake as you make a push for the podium.  Anyway, that's just one (hideous) track.  I know Mantis Burn Racer isn't loved by some, but if you prefer your wheels on a gravel road that might be a better bet for this sort of thing.      

I managed to get 1st place on every cup thanks to playing on a mixture of amateur and semi-pro, but won't be returning to the campaign mode as I've had my fill and then some.  Hopefully Muzzy makes a thread though, because I have full faith in the fact that this would be an exceptional game to time trial.  There's a separate Top Gear track that seems like it might be a good place to start...

[7] as an overall package, but if you push everything other than the TT mode off the table it's as good as your competition makes it*.  Most importantly, every single vehicle handles nicely, so it doesn't do the 'lel this one's shit' thing most racers feel like they have to do to keep up an annoying tradition.  Enjoyed.   

*Unless it doesn't have downloadable ghosts on the leaderboards - I haven't looked yet - but surely it does. 

4242DCF180A831117BE34A2B78A052083E7D870E
  • 130. Thunder Force IV - Mega Drive (1hr-ish)

Or Lightning Force: The Quest for Darkstar in the guise I played it.  I had some early problems with slowdown, but thankfully it's not that bad over the course of the game and seemed most prominent in that one stage (level 2).  Visually it's one of the most impressive 16-bit shmups for sure, probably coming close to Ranger X levels of MD shooter gorgeousness in places.  Parallax scrolling gone wild; some sections are stunning for the era.  The stages are also far more vertical than III, plus the relentlessly high quality soundtrack trumps its predecessor too.  There's a ton of (quality) music in there, and it changes as the stages develop rather than having one track for each level.  Impressive stuff.  It also goes a bit epic compared to III, but in doing so loses a little bit of the former's tightness imo.  The caveat being I'm judging it from a heavily save state assisted run again.  The back half just felt a little too drawn out and maybe a touch less visually appealing as cloudy lakes made way for slightly more clinical alien ship innards.  I'm not sure how much longer it is than III but there was noticeably more to it.  Too much to learn properly for my tastes for sure.

Bosses took a bit longer to take down, unless I was tackling some of them weirdly (quite possible), and although this is clearly the TF with the biggest wow factor I think I'll give it a couple of % less than III.  At the time the extra length/VFM/visual prowess might've given this the nod, but tackling them retrospectively I'd say maybe III was an even bigger achievement in 1990 than this was in '92.  Both great.  87%

IEph7FU.gif
  • Yeah that’s what I was half-remembering. III is tighter, especially in the back-half.

I played the M2 Switch version of IV, which probably meant I was having emulator issues.
  • Listening to Thunderforce 2 music as I work.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Might play that next but the top down sections look a bit iffy.
  • They are. No fun at all.
  • 131. The Ninja - Master System (20mins)

Been thinking about this recently so I popped it on for a quick playthrough this morning.  Definitely one of my favourite 8-bit titles.  It's short, and the way you have to find hidden scrolls to complete it properly is pretty cheap (not sure I would've ever found the first one if I hadn't been told its location), but the core action is excellent.  You can fire in the direction you're facing or straight up the screen, and pressing both buttons makes you invulnerable (although unable to fire) for just over a second.  There's a touch of slowdown when it gets really busy, but in general it still holds up thanks to the perfectly executed simplicity.  Once you've powered up you get a big shuriken that can also take out certain enemy projectiles, which does make it a little easy compared to most games of its type - especially as the bosses tend to die within seconds.  It was a budget release though, at least when I got hold of it in 1990 (£9.99) so that's not really a problem.  It's perfect for a retro runthrough anyway.  Verdict: still a banger.  91%.  This and the NES port of Gun.smoke are the big dogs of up the screen Commando types on 8-bit consoles imo.  

ni12.gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Those scrolls were ridiculous. I remember the rock climbing level being a pain too. Tough game
  • The climbing stage was often the point where I'd run out of lives as a kid. Smashed it yesterday though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This and the NES port of Gun.smoke are the big dogs of up the screen Commando types on 8-bit consoles imo.  

Check out Jackal on NES. A few of the SNK ones are decent too, just avoid the first Ikari Warriors.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not played that one will take a look ta.
  • 132. Tinykin - Xbox One S (6hrs?)

Also played on a Series S where it was noticeably sharper (unless there's a huge difference between my two tellies), but we did most of it on the last gen console due to front room access.  It's still a nice looking/smooth experience.  I expect the Switch version takes a hit though.  

Despite not being over-keen on collecting stuff in games - especially 3D platformers - the whole set-up worked well for me and it was impossible to resist searching for optional pick-ups once we got going.  There are five different types of Tinykin and you'll need to find a good number of them in a level in order to pass certain roadblocks and progress the story.  If the platforming was more punishing the controls wouldn't be quite tight enough - the jump feels a bit limp (too quick on the up/down perhaps) and the 2D character on 3D backgrounds wouldn't quite nail it if more precision were required, but thankfully it's absolutely fine for the tasks at hand.  It's fun to get about thanks to the excellent soapboard and generous bubble float mechanic, and the stages are great to just mess around in.  It's a very laid back experience, where (rare) deaths will see you respawn close to where you made the mistake.  I thought the yellow tinykins were a bit of a letdown as the final tool, but any complaints are pretty minor and on the whole it's a delightful little game that has a huge amount of sheen for a low-fanfare indie title.

Not quite as good as The Splasher, which is up there with the best masocore platformers in recent years (it controls so nicely I'm tempted to replay it soon), but definitely a very good game that would've been well worth the asking price.  Two wins for the devs for sure - I reckon this is good enough for someone to bung them a bit more budget for their next effort.  I played it as a Game Pass treat, which is another win for the service.  I probably participated in less than a third of it because Tilly was an absolute pad hog for this one, but I'm still counting it as a clear. [8]

gif-tinykin-pushable-1633995529688.gif
  • 40: Jack Move (PC) 5/10

This is a brand new indie cyberpunk JRPG on Steam.  It's not about a man called Jack Move, like I thought.  Jack Move is the name of this game's Limit Break.  It's about a plucky girl who gets in over her head with some stuff, but overcomes the odds with the power of friendship and family.

On the plus side it has nice pixel graphics, and early on the combat (solid turns based rock paper scissors stuff) is pretty fun.

Unfortunately it's not very well balanced and by the last quarter of the game you are regularly hitting at the maximum damage cap and things are a bit trivial.  Worse, the story isn't much, and the characters are pretty bad.  The writing has a few moments where a character will say something bafflingly horrible to a friend, and the friend will say 'thanks, you're right'.  I don't know.  There were a few off putting bits.  There is also a lot of humour that didn't really align with my tastes.

Anyway that's me insulting a small indie team's lovingly crafted game, like a big man.  It's well received going by Steam reviews.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I played a demo of that a while back and was quite looking forward to it. I doubt I'll get round to it now anyway, but that does sound a little disappointing.
  • 24.Days Gone - 20 Hours - 9/10 - PS5

Still amazes me that this game isn’t considered one of the absolute best of last gen. It looks absolutely stunning, surely on a par with N.D’s even though on a much bigger scale in terms of the open world game. The story is decent, though you can see the vast majority of it coming it’s still enjoyable with lots of good characters and fun twists. The gameplay is as you’d expect in an open world but the scale is good and the games version of ‘events’ fit in perfectly with the nests to clear etc. Thoroughly enjoyed this again and even more disappointed there’s no sequel coming.

Great bit of gaming.

9/10

25.The Last of Us Pt1 - 12 Hours - 8/10 - PS5

I mean, it was The Last of Us Pt1. Looked great, sound wasn’t as good as I’d expect using a 7.1 atmos system, was as heartbreaking a story as ever, but I certainly didn’t ‘love it’ as much as I thought I would again. Maybe it’s because it’s my third time though? Maybe it’s because it’s a very straightforward ‘corridor’ campaign with little variation possibilities so it always pretty much the same? It was still an excellent point in gaming, but I definitely don’t think it was necessary for people like me that have played it in it’s other iterations. It just looked like I remember it…I know it didn’t look like this, but that’s how I remember it.

Still great, but I expected more for some admittedly unrealistic reason. At least it’s still a much better game than it’s absurdly miserable sequel.

8/10
  • Verecocha wrote:
    24.Days Gone - 20 Hours - 9/10 - PS5 Still amazes me that this game isn’t considered one of the absolute best of last gen. It looks absolutely stunning, surely on a par with N.D’s even though on a much bigger scale in terms of the open world game. The story is decent, though you can see the vast majority of it coming it’s still enjoyable with lots of good characters and fun twists. The gameplay is as you’d expect in an open world but the scale is good and the games version of ‘events’ fit in perfectly with the nests to clear etc. Thoroughly enjoyed this again and even more disappointed there’s no sequel coming. Great bit of gaming. 9/10

I could be mixing this up with another game, but didn't it get a ton of post release updates which massively improved on the game at launch?
  • 30. Super Smash T.V. (SNES) -  2hrs

An Absolutely amazing port of the arcade classic that blew every other version out of the water in its day.

Still the peak of these overhead single screen shooters for me. The sprites are perfectly sized and detailed, the selection of timed weapon upgrades balances out the difficulty when becoming overwhelmed, and no matter the risk you will always go for those pointless prize bonuses. Multiple routes through levels also adds a bit of replayability to get that optimum route down.

The big let down is the bosses. They're just cheap bullet sponges with little to no tactics involved.

9/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 31. Xeno Crisis (Switch) 2hrs

Good indie homage to Smash T.V. gets a lot right but drops the ball in a few key areas for me.

Running out of ammo in something like this just does not appeal. As a knock on effect you get a melee attack that again does nothing for me. The inclusion of grenades is good but alternate weapons are few and far between.

The level randomiser is also something I'm not a fan of in games, I know this can be seen as a positive greatly increasing replay value, but I much prefer the old perfection through repition approach.

Also the sprite size compared to the play area is a bit off in this one. Everything is a tad to big making manoeuvring trickier than it needs to be sometimes.

It's not all bad though, the upgrade system with the dog tags is well implemented and it smashes Smash T.V. out the park when it comes to bosses. They're tough but actually have patterns making it rewarding when taking them down.

Despite the negative comments this is still great fun and highly recommended imo.

8/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Verecocha wrote:
    24.Days Gone - 20 Hours - 9/10 - PS5 Still amazes me that this game isn’t considered one of the absolute best of last gen. It looks absolutely stunning, surely on a par with N.D’s even though on a much bigger scale in terms of the open world game. The story is decent, though you can see the vast majority of it coming it’s still enjoyable with lots of good characters and fun twists. The gameplay is as you’d expect in an open world but the scale is good and the games version of ‘events’ fit in perfectly with the nests to clear etc. Thoroughly enjoyed this again and even more disappointed there’s no sequel coming. Great bit of gaming. 9/10

I could be mixing this up with another game, but didn't it get a ton of post release updates which massively improved on the game at launch?

Someone else mentioned that so it’s probably what happened. I must’ve just been lucky as remember having a clean playthrough then too. For anyone put off because of that please go give it a go as you won’t regret it.
  • I played Days Gone at launch as I’m a big Sony Bend fan and had been waiting for them to put out a new game for an age. Know there’s some people that really love it, like Vere above, and I’m glad it’s found fans, but for me it was the definition of…aggressively fine.
  • I like that definition…sounds like a better description of a ‘proper tough hottie’.
  • 31. Xeno Crisis (Switch) -  

Good indie homage to Smash T.V. gets a lot right but drops the ball in a few key areas for me.

Running out of ammo in something like this just does not appeal. As a knock on effect you get a melee attack that again does nothing for me. The inclusion of grenades is good but alternate weapons are few and far between.

The level randomiser is also something I'm not a fan of in games, I know this can be seen as a positive greatly increasing replay value, but I much prefer the old perfection through repition approach.

Also the sprite size compared to the play area is a bit off in this one. Everything is a tad to big making manoeuvring trickier than it needs to be sometimes.

It's not all bad though, the upgrade system with the dog tags is well implemented and it smashes Smash T.V. out the park when it comes to bosses. They're tough but actually have patterns making it rewarding when taking them down.

Despite the negative comments this is still great fun and highly recommended imo.

8/10

My list

Nice. The melee didn't feel powerful enough and I thought the ammo system was a bit off but I enjoyed it on the whole. I think I went with a 7, with the possibility of a co-op 8.
  • 133. Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart (9hrs)

Stunning looking sequel to an already stunning sequel (remake?) that starts incredibly well but can't sustain (or build on) its strong start, slipping down into 'good' territory after the opening third with the odd flourish of excellence now and then.  For the most part it hits its marks, although enjoyment of the fairly basic gameplay is deeply indebted to the lush visuals.  I'm a fan of the straightforward, throwback combat and mostly linear quest arc, but I've no doubt many players were expecting more.  For a flagship PS5 title it doesn't scream next gen for sure.  The rifty bits are nifty, and made easier by the SSD no doubt, but I don't believe for a second that they wouldn't be possible with clever programming tricks on the PS4.

Anyway, that's not really relevant to how good the game is, and it's definitely worth playing.  The combat is great, especially once you're au fait with a selection of weapons you're keen on.  R&C has always had an element of 'guns, guns, guns!' to it afaik, but from the dozens available there were only a handful I ever really fancied using as most of the rest just seemed a bit wanky/only there to fill up slots (i.e. the antithesis of DOOM 2016).  Overpowered shotgun, or weird mushroom sprinkler system with no satisfaction on the killings?  I'll take the former, please.  The rails sections were a bit weak too, which is a shame as I'm usually a fan of such things in most games.  They're not really designed in the usual rails runner way here - it's not a reactions thing like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, or even Crash 4, they're almost more of a cinematic excursion between shooting sections, where you slide along while the characters quip about this or that (the voicework/script is fine, admittedly).  It feels like every time another rail or wall jump appears as you hurtle along you have to take it to survive, whereas a similar section in Astrobot Rescue Mission is more skill/timing/decision based and therefore more rewarding to survive.  There's also a weird bit where the floor builds itself just in front of your speeding character, but I lost multiple lives on it as I was moving quicker than the floor was forming, which felt a bit glitchy.  The Clank puzzles are a downer too, to the point where I took the option of skipping the last two.  It's also far too easy on the standard difficulty - I'm pretty sure the previous game put up more of a fight - especially bosses - but I might be misremembering.  

I'm focusing on the negatives again though.  It's a good game if you stick to a reliable pool of weapons and embrace the preceding-the-previous-gen gameplay, it's just not quite as good as the PS4 entry and not nearly as amazing as it promises to be early on.  Occasionally I can't be bothered to decide on a proper score so I switch to half marks, and I'm in that kind of mood today.  Good fun, and a very me game at heart, as triple A titles go, but not worth £70 whichever way you slice it.  [7.5]

giphy.gif
  • Have to say, I wasn't bothered about the inflated PS5 games initially.  Thought their prices would deflate as PS games generally do, and stores would say 'lol no' and mostly sell them at PS4 prices.  I might still be 3 years away from playing Ratchet and Clank lol.

41: Splatoon 3 (Single Player) (Switch) 9/10

This was a real treat and my first proper go at a Splatoon.  I posted in the Splatoon thread but for some reason I didn't rate Splatoon as having proper single player for some reason, as they don't have Naughty Dog style adventure stories.  It's a silly way to think.  Splatoon 3's discreet, mario style levels are mostly one off variations on the theme of painting walls and swimming.  They're mostly great, and if they're not, then they don't last for long and you're off to the next challenge.  It's mostly great stuff and your character is a joy to control on a basic level.  The shooting, painting, swimming, running and jumping all feels right.  

Is there much wrong with it?  Not really.  I thought it could do with some fast travel, but then so did the developers, which is why they included it.  I just didn't realise until near the end.  It runs at 60 FPS on Switch and as such it doesn't look real impressive.  I kinda like the look of the squid kids as a rule but their slimy tentacle hair looks a bit 2007.  I don't mind them talking a made up language but when characters are telling you things, so you have to read subtitles during a gunfight, it's not ideal.  My made up whinge is that I really would like a 6 hour naughty dog style story mode.  But really, it's great.  Really looking forward to Splatoon 2 + expansion sometime soon.

42: Easy Come Easy Golf (World Tour Mode) (Switch) 6/10

Another shithouse golf game.  That's a bit harsh but I wish they just ported Vita golf to switch with 60fps 1080p and brought those online daily challenges back.   This one only runs at 30 fps which isn't ideal for 3 click golfing but it works okay.  

I played World Tour which is the main single player content for ECEG.  It's a real grind.  The gimmick is that you put together a crack team of 9 golfers, with each golfer taking 1 hole each.  Some golfers are good at controlling the ball, others can hit it hard, so you pick who you reckon will be best for each hold and away you go.  It's actually a pretty good gimmick.  What it not good is how slowly you unlock new golfers, and how shit most of them look.  You don't even start with 9 proper golfers.  Half of them are this generic 'Mini Golfer' thing, a tiny dead eyed Johnny Neutron looking motherfucker, I couldn't boot them out fast enough.  

You level up by beating par 9 courses, which earn you 'stars'.  Get enough stars and you get a boss challenge, and if you beat the boss they join your team.  It's so slow and it just gets slower  as it goes on.  Replaying the same courses time after time to get a new man for your team.  And there is no challenge.  You'd have to try to badly mishit anything, let alone lose a game.  Most of the greens are either flat or just slope in one direction.  Presumably the last courses get intricate but the first 6 or 7 are a pushover.  I'm no gaming dynamo and in 10-15 hours I never came close to losing.  

A real shame, but oh well bugger it.  Bring on this Tiger Woods x Michael Jordan thing on PS5.
  • Splat 2 doesn't have much of an SP campaign iirc. The Octo Expansion is pretty meaty for DLC but not full-game length. But that means full game price then £20 odd for the DLC so not the best value if you're getting it just for that. 

I'm a bit of an outlier on this forum in that I didn't really get on with the Octo thing from Splatoon 2. I find a lot of the weapons to be quite annoying and unsatisfying to use.

I'll do Splatoon 3 at some point though so it's not like I hate it.
  • I have a copy of S2 (finally, the pile of shame comes good!) and the Octo is included with the Switch online expansion thingy, so I'm happy to give it a try.  Do have to admit I was hit and miss with some of the optional weapons in S3 (the standard gun was always my favourite and a joy to use) though, so we'll see.
  • 134. What Remains of Edith Finch (PS5 upgrade, 2.5hrs)

In 2017 I wrote....
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    75. What Remains of Edith Finch - PS4 Momentous walking sim.  Genre naysayers: Find hat.  Go north.  Eat hat.  It tells a tale of tales in a way that's genuinely enhanced by interactivity.  Reading too much before playing might ruin things a little; like all these titles it's best to go in cold.  The arcade brigade like Davy/retroking might hate it - it's a twitcher's nightmare - but for anyone who's ever hoped for better storytelling in videogames this is the genre to watch and the game to beat.  2-3hrs of excellence, terrific effort. [8]

...and I can't work out why there's only an [8] at the end of it.  It's a [9].  Outstanding stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!