PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Is turtles a sleeper hit disappointment of the year? It's odd because it does so much right, but it doesn't grab me like sor4 did.

That's how I felt
  • It does seem to be, for some.  I got what I was expecting and what I wanted though, so satisfaction levels were sky high (although there are few kinks that could be ironed in patches for sure).  It's a new version of the old Turtles template - better than any of the old games to boot - and they were always a different kettle of fish to SOR.  I'll dip in for local/online co-op now and then, and it'll be great.
  • Yeah I think sor4 had set expectations too high, because fuck me what a monster of a game that is. Turtles is a sold 7 for me, which is commendable.
  • I beat Turtles 4-player co op story last night. It’s ok when you chat shit and have a laugh but that’s more the company than the game. It’s probably a 6 for me, maybe 5. SoR4 was a 6, but in hindsight now should probably be a 7.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sor4 is a 10 and anyone who disagrees isn't right in the head. Or has different tastes to me. Probably the former tho.
  • SOR4 is the genre goat and unless the same team create a sequel probably always will be. I look at Shredder's Revenge like Sonic Mania - a bang on update of game series that doesn't quite have full clout as a modern title unless you already love it.
  • Sor4 has made me not want to buy turtles.
    I may just buy the dlc for sor4 instead.
  • SOR4 dlc is among the best I've played. Huge VFM if you already love the base game.
  • That's all I needed to hear, cheers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So Streets of Rage then lads
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    SoR4 was a 6, but in hindsight now should probably be a 7.

Starting to think that Muzzy might have a point about Elf.
  • I just have higher standards than you guys.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You misspelled “worse taste”.
  • I think Turtles nails what it's trying to do and it's good that it offers a different take on the genre to SOR4, because we already have that. A different take in this case though is one that burns very brightly at first, and chucks a ton of great ideas at you, but doesn't have much to offer once you've gone through story mode and played a few MP sessions. And it's definitely too long to make me want to get good.
  • 89. Battle Axe - Switch (2hrs)

I've been umming and ahing over this for well over a year now.  The majorty of reviews aren't overly positive and the pricepoint is approaching ridiculous for what it is.  Whatever your opinions on value I'm pretty sure most would agree that a non-roguelike four stage top down shooter (with a successful run time of around 25 minutes) shouldn't weigh in at £24.99.  For some reason I knew I was powerless to resist buying this eventually, and ended up grabbing it at 50% off yesterday (paydaydance.gif).  It's probably because I'm an elderly graphics whore at heart.  I might not care much about Ray Tracing's 4K scratch 'n sniff reflective wheel nuts, but if a game would've made me drool in 1995 for some reason I'm still a bit of a floozy.  This looked wonderful in trailers and the full game is a thing of divine beauty.  Imagine an ST-V powered arcade cabinet from the mid-90s that doubled down on the 2D sprite flexing capabilities of the architecture rather than blootering down the texture mapped polygons route.  It's easily one of the nicest looking pixel art games I've ever seen.  

Of everything I've played in the past few years I think general opinions on the game itself would vary more than pretty much anything else.  I'd enjoy reading a glowing [8], and would happily find places to nod along with the reviewer, but at the same time I'd understand the thought process behind an exasperated [3].  Whereas something like Xeno Crisis took a small smattering of modern design sensibilities and used them to enhance a peak (pretend) 16-bit package, this aims to be little more than an arcade cabinet from the same era.  Remember how games were often enhanced for their home ports?  Even Golden Axe received an extra stage.  This doesn't bother - it's basically a nu retro coin-op, over in the blink of an eye if you know what you're doing.  I've not played many Neo Geo games but I'd imagine this is what a lot of them were like.  If so, ignore my Saturn/Megadrive touchpoints - it could well be an attempt to mimic the sort of overpriced carts kids lied about owning 30 years ago.

It plays a bit like The Chaos Engine.  There are a small handful of recurring enemy types to dispatch per stage, with some bases to destroy to open gates for progression.  You get three lives to complete the whole thing, with zero scope for earning extra credits and no save states.  Fail and it's good/bad old fashioned Game Over stuff.  Stage layouts are fixed, with the only randomised element I spotted being the contents of the chests (which can really affect any attempted playthrough as gems and bombs are useless, while potions and coins are useful, with chicken and scrolls sitting somewhere in between).  You can shoot in eight directions, dash/teleport - depending on character, which is on a short cooldown - and perform a melee attack.  In a bizarre design choice there's no dedicated button for strafing, forcing you to hold one of the face buttons to lock the direction your character faces, all of which are already used for something else.  There's no config options either, so you're stuck with it - as you would be in a four button arcade cab, I guess.  Which means you'll be forced to melee to direction lock, for example.  The main sprite is chunky and takes up a fair amount of the screen: Monkeys be warned.  The druid and [whatever class the female character is] didn't feel too useful on a solo play, so I stuck to Rooney, his beard, and his baffling shoulder canon (which he totes on his left shoulder....unless he's facing left, when it suddenly snaps to his right - annoying as the projectiles are slightly offset from straight ahead, so you have to adjust your tactics due to an animation oversight).  Each stage contains a number of captured villagers to rescue, which don't seem to do much other than add to your score.  Speaking of which, although the game feels ultra-slight initially the score chasing element is pretty good.  There's a rudimentary chaining system in play and stages are graded on kills/speed etc.  The leaderboards are local only, which smacks of laziness to me, but the score challenge is still the big reason to revisit.  Every time I failed I improved a little on my next attempt, until I eventually twatted the final boss with a slither of health remaining.  Pure joy.  

I can't pretend I didn't love it, so despite its faults it's a [7] for me, but YMMV (a acronym I latched onto about a year ago and decided to wear out) has never been so true.  Some players would absolutely despise this - would love to hear Elf's take, for example.  Co-op mode is great, the tunes are fantastic, the slightly Toast-like sampled speech is amazing and overall, despite how odd it is compared to most modern retro efforts (which aim to be ultimate form versions of their inspiration) I had a great time.  I just don't think I'd recommend it to anyone other than retroking and perhaps @Eric.  It's from the team that made the recent Final Vendetta*, who do seem to have a knack for releasing modern games that could genuinely pass for old ones, warts & all.  A proper curio.  

47513d0798213eb667fb3b51c2ac0d27ecca3e61.gifv

*and Xeno Crisis apparently, which I didn't realise when I mentioned it further up the page.
  • Reads like a bit of a frustrating play.  But GOD DAMN I agree it's a handsome game.  I'd be all over a RPG that looks like that.  Will wait for an 80-ish% off sale.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • It's not massively frustrating, just a bit old fashioned. If it saved progress it would've been over in about 40mins. Easy mode took a fair few goes, and once that's done you're probably ready for hard mode (the next step up) as it's not much different really. Health doesn't regenerate between stages and everything takes a couple of extra hits, otherwise it's identical. 75% off is about right I reckon :)
  • 22. The Quarry [7]
    A spiritual successor to Until Dawn which is good enough and looks great, but barely pushes the formula forward at all.

23. Eternal Threads [6]
    The kind of game that I'd love to recommend even though it really isn't all that great. The best way I could think of to describe it is Return of the Obra Dinn meets Hollyoaks, as you play with a timeline in a student house in the north east so the flat mates don't all die in a fire. That means watching a hell of a lot of scenes revealing various aspects of their lives leading up to the big event, and changing certain decisions they made to send the story along different branches. There's a bit too much to sit through, especially since the script and the voice acting vary in quality from acceptable to dodgy. And yet it's such an original scenario for a game, I felt compelled to see it through.

24. Final Vendetta [6]
    A decent Final Fight inspired belt fighter that sticks a little too close to the past. Worth it if you like that sort of thing, just don't expect Streets of Rage 4. At least the soundtrack is excellent though.

25. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge [7]
    Clearly a labour of love with tons of franchise details squeezed in. Playing through the story for the first time, or getting together with a few others is great knockabout fun. It's the comic relief next to serious performer Streets of Rage 4, and together they make a great advert for the modern revival of scrolling beat 'em ups. While it's more of a laugh, though, that does mean it has less to offer once the joke wears thin. It could do with some more modes and challenges to increase longevity.

26. Norco [9]
    A bit like Kentucky Route Zero, it's something you should just experience. It's the same kind of weird descent into the depths of America, in this case framed as a point and click adventure, but the puzzles and mini-games aren't designed to delay your progress for more than a minute. It's definitely an adventure, though, taking you into the strangest corners of its cyberpunk imagining of a real-life town living in the shadow of an oil refinery. The pixel art, the soundtrack and the stream of consciousness writing turn the experience into a kind of smoggy, humid trip, and even if it's a bit of a readathon at times, it pulls together beautifully.

27. Pocky & Rocky: Reshrined [7]
    Remake of the old top-down multi-direction SNES shmup with a complete visual overhaul but also some considerable redesign. It starts off fairly tricky, because every enemy is larger than it used to be and many have extra routines, and Pocky and the gang aren't the most agile of shoot 'em up characters. But once you get used to it you should welcome the extra meat on everything. Even better, it soon branches into uncharted territory with new characters and new powers. Still nothing especially brilliant overall, but it's a smart and respectful piece of remaking that does enough to feel modern.

28. Cuphead [8]
    As amazingly good as this looks, there's still a part of me that wonders what the point of this particular graphical style is. Why a 30s cartoon in the form of a platform shooter? Well, yeah, because it looks good, but somehow I want the game to make some kind of link between the two. Instead it's like someone said imagine if Steamboat Willy was fighting a giant carrot, and nobody just said 'What?' Anyway, I like the game. It got on my tits at times, but I found the kind of challenge up my street for the most part, and most importantly always felt like I was getting better even when I was failing. They squeeze a ton of variety out of the concept and every boss feels like its own unique platform challenge, which is smart design. Plus it does look amazingly good.
  • Pocky and Rocky is on the watchlist but it launched at a price I wasn't expecting.  Hopefully Norco gets a console port soon.

90. HOA - Switch (2hrs)

40% off at the mo, I've been waiting a while for this.  Tilly & I played through in two sessions over the weekend and it's a nice little game.  I was expecting something a little bit light world Limbo coupled with a less mopey Gris, perhaps with some Ori vibes, and that's pretty much what we got.  The hand-drawn art style is a delight and the 3D models that populate the areas blend in nicely.  Puzzles are as gentle as it gets, but unlike some games that plod down the well-trodden side-scrolling lite puzzle trail it plays quite nicely when it tasks you with actual platforming.  Dangling and swinging on hanging plants feels good and none of the jumping sections outstay their welcome (or irritate too much if you fall off).  Abilities are drip fed and do enough to mix things up over the course of the adventure, which only lasts about as long as your average non-spandex whizbang film.  

It doesn't do quite enough to stand out from the crowd (Inside and MO: Astray are a few levels above this imo, Gris probably shades it too), and it's hard to be overly enthusiastic about something that's 'lovely' rather than genuinely great, but we had a good time and I'd recommend it for £8.  Tilly enjoyed it, and we were both a little surprised by a late game occurrence.  The final stage is a departure from the rest of the journey and probably added a point.  [7]

tumblr_inline_pkyz5oi1jw1t5z3sj_500.gifv
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought it was shit
  • Please play Toby: The Secret Mine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    90% off in the Steam sale!  Would be rude not to...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Had Norco downloaded for a while sounds good will give it a go.
  • I don't understand the 'why does cuphead use this art style?' question. Why does anything use any art style? Because the people making it wanted to.

Not a dig, Jon, I get that you rate the game, I just don't understand that particular part.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I don't understand the 'why does cuphead use this art style?' question. Why does anything use any art style? Because the people making it wanted to. Not a dig, Jon, I get that you rate the game, I just don't understand that particular part.
    I'm still thinking about why it seems odd in Cuphead. I think in most games that use a recognisable style there's a clearer link to the narrative or mechanics. Like Card Shark (thinking of a recent example), it's set in 18th century France and the painterly art style references 18th century French painting. Or, an older one, Yoshi's Island has that illustrated children's story look because it's about baby Mario and goes with the softer control of Yoshi compared to the sharpness of Mario.

With Cuphead, it's a hardcore platform shooter with 20/30s American cartoon art. Which, I don't know. It also rips from a narrative form and has no real narrative beyond the bookends. Most of its characters lack any kind of context and there are no stories as such in the battles themselves. That doesn't stop it being a very good game that looks great, but the two parts don't match up. Like why does that style/setting suit this kind of game? There's a missing link.
  • 91. Formula Retro Racing - Switch (90 mins)

Nifty little Model 1 inspired arcade style budget racer that unfortunately lands in the dreaded half-arsed Switch port territory.  It must be a nightmare to get certain games running on the Switch.  This shouldn't be one of them though, imo.  I might be Johnny Armchair when it comes to game development nous but if Rise: Race to the Future can run at 60fps surely something without all the taxture mops should be at least as slick? It's a flat shaded polygon style racer that really leans into the clean & simple aesthetic, so there's not real excuse for such a wide miss with its 'aiming for 60fps' approach - the judderman regularly visits on all but the simplest tracks.  The trailer on the EShop shows shadows under the vehicles, but they're missing from the version you end up with if you buy it.  Who knew that cars look like they're floating without them? (Answer: surely everyone who played this version at any stage of development).  Things are improved slightly when docked, but that's not why I bought this on Switch and I feel a little cheated.  Not as much as anyone who bought this full price though, I'd wager.  Member the 'Switch tax' chat from a few years ago?  Try this one on for size: this is £4.99 at full price on PSN, and £11.99 on Switch (well, £4.60 for the next week or so, but that's not the point).  For a lazy port.  Down with this sort of thing, that's some hefty tax.

With that out the way, here's a paragraph on the positives.  It's a quality little racer, much more satisfying to play than (the comparatively smooth as silk) Hotshots Racing, imo.  I'm not a massive fan of racing games, admittedly.  I know what I like when I'm playing though, and I thoroughly enjoyed hammering through this today.  The handling just feels right, with non-player cars presenting real test of tactics.  It's not just good to drive, it's good to race.  Picking your spot to overtake and adapting race lines while feathering the brake/accelerating to slip through is well handled, and felt like the crux of the appeal to me.  Computer drivers annoy me in most similar games, but for some reason jostling with them is highlight here, even if it's far more about their place on the track than the AI (which mostly just pootles along and occasionally swerves a bit).  There are only eight tracks, and I guess this would present a valid sticking point for some.  Considering its budget nature (on most platforms) and the fact that the games that inspired it only tended to have three, I'm not going to take issue with it though.  I like to burn through racers until I've had my fill and then discard them, and this served my purposes perfectly.  It could do with a dedicated TT mode rather than the infinite practice mode that exists, and the leaderboards are weird as they only track complete race times, or nonsense like points earned per day.  Let's be honest though - I came for the arcade mode, as will the majority of players I expect, and aside from the performance issues it delivered.  Top, short-lived fun.

A quick note on a bugbear of mine though: modern retro styled titles that opt for chiptunes-of-no-fixed-generation when the era of inspiration would've sounded quite different does my head in.  The tunes in this are fine, they just don't sit right with me for an arcade racer pretending to be from, like, 1993 (Virtua Racing didn't have music playing over the majority of the races anyway!).  The tunes are mostly fine, but some of them sound like they're from an Amiga shmup called something like Oberon Surface Wars II and some sound like offcuts from The Aquatic Games, but none sound like arcade racer tracks to my ears.

If I've come across as down on it I didn't really mean to.  There's at least an afternoon delight here for the likes of wario and retroking, I reckon. [6] for the Switch port.  For the fiver it costs on other consoles I expect I'd go with an [8].  Props to Eric for putting this on his GotY list for 2020.  

large.jpg

It's floating!  And the wheels look like they're spinning the wrong way in motion!  There don't seem to be any gifs out there for this one.
  • Great review Moot. It's a shame it never got an expansion really, but guess it never did the numbers to justify it. Double shame for the sloppy switch port, like you say I can't see how this can be pushing the system.

From a driving perspective this shits all over Hotshot racing, which was far less intuative and twitchy in comparison. I might revisit to see if I can sneak back into the global top ten now there's 11 of us playing it.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    I might revisit to see if I can sneak back into the global top ten now there's 11 of us playing it.

Haha.  I was no.1 on the daily leaderboards for the oval track yesterday.  There were only three other players on there, but it's still a win.
  • 19. Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 9 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox Series X

Yeah…another one for now I’m abandoning…it’s good but Christ it’s boring. No real tactics or change of anything in each encounter, just repeat, repeat, repeat…so completely bored with it I get a headache every time I play it now…With the PS Plus stuff that yes I’ve already played, this is going right on the back burner.

5/10

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!