52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • I've watched the trailer a few times but at that price it hasn't even made the watch list. Maybe when it drops to a tenner. Final Vendetta might be worth a look, out this month I think. Turtles is the one though.

Edit: Asterix scrolling beat 'em up
  • FV looks surprisingly good!  I'll give it a go early if the reviews are decent.   But yeah, day 1 for Turtles.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 78. Nobody Saves the World - Xbox Series S (19hrs 11mins)

Intricately crafted megagrind with layer upon layer of brilliance wrapped around a slightly underwhelming core.  The base combat is weak sauce milky tea/overly diluted Ribena, but eventually this doesn't matter as the systems surrounding it buff the combat to enjoyable levels.  'Eventually' takes a long time though, and I can't completely forgive the flimsy basics even though they're understandable to an extent (the game gives you so much freedom to meddle the foundation has to be solid rather than intricate I guess).  Having said that there's no denying this sings when the DIY approach to character skills is in full flow.  It trusts you to tinker and tailor so much of it manually.  Combat lacks bite initially (the rat especially, hoho; my initial reaction was along the lines of 'what the fuck is this shit?') but when your options for forms, abilities, passive perks and complimentary combos become available it builds up a nice head of steam.  It lacks an arcade-like loop though, so clever and accomplished as the systems in play may be it never quite felt addictive at a base level for me.  More 'I appreciate what it's doing' than 'I love it!' for sure.

The man quest is hugely grindy.  I felt like I was grinding most of the time, and even then I hit a double gated wall after 8hrs or so that required me to run errands and grind tasks relentlessly for another 5-6hrs or so just to progress.  That's the nature of the beast, and therein lies the appeal for many players (it's a checklist ticker as much as a hack 'n slash adventure), but the busywork is merciless.  No nonsense this ain't, and I couldn't warm to it as much as I would have liked.  Which is something I could say about all Drinkbox games so far (admittedly I haven't payed their Tales From Space titles), despite Guac 2 offering some Godly platforming design in places.    

The successful elements are strong.  Visuals and sound especially (the recurring overworld theme is immense).  The dangling drip-fed carrot of form unlocks are moreish and the individual upgrade tasks are quite fun for the most part.  The map is a decent size with well planned routes, secrets and impasses.  I'm aware that I'm being a massive spoilsport for focusing on the negatives as I've seen badgers go full [10] for this.  It's a clever not-so-little game with a lot going for it, but it outstayed its welcome and never quite grabbed me by the scruff of the neck to demand full addiction.  At nigh on 20hrs it's probably one of the longest games I've finished too (top 20 off the top of my head), and I didn't think there was any real need to make so much of it essential to progression.      

[7] from me.  There'd probably be a +1 possibility on that score if they'd dialled down the grind a little and trusted players to mop up voluntarily, but you have to do a lot of bob-a-jobbing to get into the last couple of dungeons.  I mostly played in co-op, which was fine.  Tilly enjoyed the form upgrades immensely but hated the dungeons and didn't take part in my epic grind night.  I woke her up for a late midnight feast at 1.40am and she was delighted with the video I'd made of all character unlocks 
    Spoiler:
    She also insisted on being the egg for most of it for some bizarre reason.  [9] from her for this one, she marked it down for getting a bit boring at the end and having to redo entire dungeons if you die.  She did like the last boss though, as did I.

Edit: It's also the first time she's mentioned game music giving her butterflies in her tummy (the overworld theme again), which was nice.  

nobody-saves-the-world-horse.gif
  • Part 1: Games 1-4 (Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot)
    Part 2: Game 5 (Bloodborne PSX)
    Part 3: Game 6 (Day Repeat Day)
    Part 4: Games 7-14 (Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Emily is Away 3, Fifa 22, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Good Night Knight, There is no Game)
    Part 5: Games 15-22 (Disco Elysium, Cyberpunk 2077, Deep Rock Galactic, YAKLAD, Manifold Garden, Factori, Circadian Dice, Nier Re[in]carnation)

23. The Sexy Brutale

Bought this and played some a while back but ended up stopping because the performance of the Switch version is just unacceptably bad. Like an idiot, i decided to spend money on it again on an actual machine capable of running games above 15fps.

If you want the tl;dr - this is a modern version of The Gregory Horror Show.

That was enough for me. It's very good and scratched an itch that hadn't been scratched in many a year.

It's also a bit of a mess. Even with the framerate issues sorted, there's unacceptable input lag, awkward janky sounds cues, a few too many loading screens, inaccurate button prompts, it goes on...

I stumbled accidentally on the solutions to the puzzles occasionally, prematurely and undeservedly ending chapters.  There's pointless collectibles because of course there are. 

But, but, it's the Gregory Horror Show with a gorgeous lick of paint, great character design and lovely soundtrack. Jank be damned, what else is there like this?

It's an [8] with a [5] execution - all good ideas and some great elements, but constantly failing to stick the landing. I couldn't, in all honesty, actively recommend it, yet at the same time i'd welcome a sequel.

A triumph, a disaster, a shame, a [7].
  • Wanted that for ages but handheld would be my preference and the Switch port is notoriously bad. It's been patched a couple of times and it's still fucked, apparently.
  • Yes, avoid the Switch port 100%.
  • 17. Gears 3 - 8 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

‘What a ride. It’s just a war from beginning to end. No real down points or sections. Just blast after blast in terms of firefights, explosions and vehicles/beasts to ride. And what a ride it and they are. Shame I’m playing through these when there’s talk of The Marcus Fenix Collection. Though I’ll do it all again then as they’re that good AND there’s fuck all else coming out really. ‘

So that’s what I said about Gears 2…just increase the awesome even more and you’ve got 3. More of everything including sad little times when Dom and Adam die. It’s just literally perfect. Wouldn’t change a damn thing. They don’t make em like they used to.

She’s the perfect 10.
  • Incredible views.  Madness, frankly, but I love the passion so good on you.
  • Well… they’re ok. But 10/10?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Well… they’re ok. But 10/10?!

They’re perfect at what they do and there’s not a better 3rd person shooter out there I can think of? If you just want pretty much non stop combat for 8 hours how is it not perfect?
  • For once, I can't argue with Vere.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    You not like em?!

Nope, ‘fraid not but I love the snappy little post on why it’s so right for you. I can’t untangle the nonsense of the story and characters away from the actual mechanics enough to not really dislike the whole franchise. Like I say though, I love that someone can have such a polar opposite view to me. Good stuff.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    78. Nobody Saves the World - Xbox Series S (19hrs 11mins) [/img]

I thought this one was a stone cold classic at the time!  One of the 10/10 boys.

With that said, I haven't thought about it much since playing it.  And the first thing I di think about when remembering it: I was feeling sleepy while playing it one night, so I paused it and went to sleep for over 4 hours.  That doesn't exactly scream 10/10 lol
  • It's good and it's does some clever stuff but I struggled a bit.  Yours wasn't the only 10 on the forum iirc, Cos went big too.
  • This is why you should ignore everyone except me.
  • 16. Elden Ring [10]
    Finally, after well over 100 hours. I suppose this should be my favourite game ever, since that was previously Dark Souls and Elden Ring is clearly better in so many ways. But I'll hold my cow-horses on that judgement for the time being. It is after all, clearly too big, and inevitably repeats itself too many times because of that. And shouldn't the lock-on and camera systems be more reliable by now? But it is still utterly fantastic and a game-changer in terms of open-world fantasy, and open-world maps for that matter. Given how huge it is, there is still a ton of variety and the world and creature design is second to none. Add to that its commitment to non-linearity and build flexibility, and evolutionary steps like jumping attacks, horse riding and ash summons, and everything else, and you absolutely have an all-timer. Just one I'll never play as many times as I played Dark Souls.

17. The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story [7]
    A live action game that I actually rather liked. You spend as much time sitting and watching as you do playing, and even then you might not gel with the game's logic, but the murder mysteries are mostly well-plotted, it’s knowingly silly, and the actors are having a good time.

18. Best Month Ever! [5]
    Story-led trip through the backwaters of America in the late 60s. It’s heart is in the right place, but plot points lack impact and it rarely gives you anything really meaningful to do.

19. Silt [6]
    A lazy person would describe this as underwater Limbo, and frankly that’s good enough for me. Possess toothy sea creatures with a light from your diver’s mask to have them clear a path forward, then hope they don’t eat you in return. The best thing about it is the black and white art style. Otherwise it’s competent, but underwhelming.

20. Card Shark [9]
    An ideal indie game in the sense that it’s not like anything else I’ve played. There’s real tension in trying to cheat at cards, and a splendid story to follow while you’re doing it. Top trumps.

21. A Monster’s Expedition [7]
    I can appreciate the quality of the puzzle design here, and just how much mileage it wrings from a simple concept. Plenty of min-Eureka moments, for sure. But I also thought there was too much of it, so it developed at a glacial pace, and with the laidback vibe, there were moments where I struggled to stay awake. Plus the humour is lame.
  • Looks like I'm on the same page as Jon for this one...

79. Card Shark - Switch (8hrs +3)

A beautifully presented game of rote deception where tricks and hoodwinks must be executed near perfectly to progress through the (actually rather good) story.  There's something hugely addictive about the whole thing - I was powerless to resist its charms despite being infuriated with huge chunks of it - but gameplay wise it's a curious one.  And 'curious' might even be a little generous.  If I was going to sum it up in the simplest gaming turns it's a narrative based button prompt learner.  Occasionally you'll be required to think on your feet, but for the most part there's an almost Dragon's Lair quality to the vignettes, which tend to boil down to precise patterns of stick flicks and QTEs.  So, for example, the entirety of the interaction in a 7 minute story sequence/card game could be something like: press down eight times, gently hold left twice (while counting suits perhaps), flick up once and then aim to hit A followed by B then Y on Whack-a-mole timers.  Plus you might have to move your character to a different part of the screen when prompted.  This actually works for the most part - if you concentrate on each demonstration like your life depends on it - but few games in recent memory punish mistakes quite as cruelly.  The main segments have an indicator at the bottom of the screen depicting the mood of your opponent.  If they get too suspicious you have to start the whole section again, and there's very little margin for error in the back half of the game.  You can't skip dialogue so you're limited to just speeding it up on retries and everything in between moves at a glacial pace, meaning the way this deals with rectifying failure is agonising compared to most modern games.  Eventually there are occasional 10 minute stretches of nail or fail, which is a huge ask.  The betting system seems misjudged too, at least for first time players, as 'bet low to avoid raising suspicion' seems to be the only viable tactic for the story parts, and 'bet high twice then fuck off' struck me as the best course of action for winning big on the money farming tables.  The punishing nature of the restarts seem completely at odds with some of the late game tasks, which eventually start to feel like patting your head/rubbing your stomach, trying not to forget a phone number you glanced at for three seconds and playing snap (while losing patience).  I'm a dunderhead at the best of times and the calculus-level cons of the last two excursions made me feel like a pre-rebrand Daim Bar.  There was a massive sense of really?? while watching the demonstrations, and both require you to adjust tactics on the fly (which resulted in me feeling like my systems needed a full reboot half a dozen times; I'm not built for learning or memorising long chains).  

So what did I like about it?  The experience on the whole, believe it or not.  At least I think I did.  I mean, I must have done as I started again after losing 3hrs of progress to a save wipe that buggered up my first attempt (accidental on my part, deliberately coded on the dev's part), then I hammered the rest of it over four days.  If you were dealt Card Shark in Top Trumps the number next to 'addictiveness' would be huge.  No, I can't explain why.  Staunch refusal to fail coupled with appreciation for its individuality is the best answer I've got.  The presentation is magnificent and the story unfolds very nicely.  Dialogue is strong too.  It could have done with more time in the oven to iron out some bugs though, and maybe add a few extra lines of dialogue for the camp scene.  I topped up the camp funds kitty regularly, going Dutch with the Comte, and I swear everyone said the exact same thing every time, which I thought was something these games left behind a long time ago.  You have to suspend disbelief fairly regularly as some of the slight-of-hand/card counting stuff is so suss a spaceship full of 4yrs old would call an emergency meeting in seconds and blow you out the airlock, but I was happy to turn a blind eye to that.  

Overall then, it's an incredibly addictive hot mess that's in desperate need of a more user-friendly fail state.  Maybe more Snakes & Ladders than just a giant snake whisking you back to square one every time?  Something for the devs to address in a patch, perhaps. [6]  A house of cards that just about stays up despite wonky foundations.  Glad I played it but it got deleted immediately after the credits rolled. 

Shiner_1.gif?t=1654592357
  • 80. New Super Lucky's Tale - Switch (7hrs)

Bought for Tilly from Argos a year or so back.  £12, bargain!  Got the box home and there was no cartridge in there, just a download code. Shenanigans.  I took to the forum to moan about this at the time but here I go again - I hate that, now she can't swap it with her mates (believe it or not this is still a thing).   

We finally started it on a recent caravan holiday, but she eventually lost interest in pass-the-pad co-op so I finished the last couple of worlds off myself.  It's actually pretty damn good on the whole, which was unexpected.  The character is the sort of piss-poor mascot bandwagon shite you used to see in the mid-90s.  Lucky can go in a holding pen with Gex, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Mr. Nutz, Bubsy, Bug, Croc and the rest of the scrub-tier anthropomorphic wannabes desperate for their own lunch box side hustle.  He's basically Titus the Fox and the cut scenes are dubious twee nonsense, but he controls well and the levels are a mixture of good and, on occasion, very good.  There's plenty to do with a decent amount of variety to stage types and level goals, with a ton of secrets and collectibles if that's your thing.  [7], but a fine example of one, and not nearly as far down the 3D platformer tier list as you might expect.  Switch performance is solid - reasonably impressive in fact - but I'd advise playing a big boy boosted version for double the fps.  

13f.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't remember that level. Maybe I skipped some. They're were quite a lot.
  • I don't remember it either. Just grabbed the niftiest looking gif. There are some post-game challenges in a new area which were added to the soft reboot when they added 'New' and fixed the camera etc.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I played a little pre-new then completed it New. But a little while ago now, and can't remember how much i fast tracked the end bits. I guess my save will be there still...
  • It's quite possible you bypassed stages. It's not one of those platformers that offers optional pick-ups then slaps toll-gates at various intervals that require 3/4 of all of them up to that point to progress.
    *Stares at Sackboy*
    *Immediately forgives Sackboy because of the music stages*
  • 22: Cricket '22 (PC) 5/10

This is pretty much the same as every other game in this series.  I only had a go at My Career mode.  The big change this year is it now has a suite of training mini games.  They are not good.  Button mashing to walk on a treadmill and shit like that.  Not only are they not fun, but the nature of cricket means you can lose your wicket at any moment, especially if you're rubbish like me.  Faffing around for 5 minutes in between games just to get out after 1 ball is infuriating.  The physics are a bit off and your player sometimes plays funny strokes and I can't work out why.  I didn't like it but it's on Gamepass so no harm done.

23: Vampire Survivors (PC) 9/10

This is also on Gamepass.  It is only $4AUD though so I bought a copy on Steam.  Absolutely stupid value for money.  It is still in early access but even if nothing else happens I'll be satisfied.

It's an isometric roguelike with auto attacks.  You just move your character around and try to keep them away from the enemies.  You kill enough enemies with your auto attacks, you level up and learn new skills to auto attack with or boost your defence or whatever.  It's mostly about figuring out which skills work best with each other to keep you alive for longer.  It's very compulsive, a little too much as I stayed up quite late a couple of nights last week playing it.  There's always something new to unlock and I do struggle saying no to 'just one more game' with these kinds of games.  There's not too much else wrong with it but I do think runs last a little too long.

24: Retrowave (PC) 7/10

Another super cheap Steam game with overwhelmingly positive reviews.  This is a driving game, the kind that could've come out at any point since video games were invented.  It's just an indefinite length of straight road and you weave in and out of traffic.  This one has a retrowave theme as you would assume.  Retrowave music is the sort of thing I find pleasant enough to hear but it never really sticks with me and I never seek it out.  As such I've been using this to play when listening to a podcast.  It's easy on the eye with it's fake 80's neon look (I understand it's a bit tired now.  I don't mind it!), the controls (minimal as they are) feel pretty nice and there's a fair bit to unlock.  I wouldn't mind a bigger budget proper racing game in this style.  The menus are a bit shit if you're not using a mouse, though.  Boo.  It's not like a classic or anything but much like Vampire Survivors it's great value for money.

25: Mario Strikers Battle League (6/10)

This game is not great value for money.  Even taking into account it's mostly a multiplayer game and they're gonna add more stuff to it later... come on.  This is very stingy.  Single player is playing a exhibition match or playing a range of tournaments, like Mario Kart.  At least Mario Kart has a bunch of tracks.  These are just playing against different teams that have high strength, or high speed, or high skill.  There's only 10 characters!  Come one don't be silly.  I thought there would be like 10 different teams with individual characters.

It's prison rules brand of football is really enjoyable and it looks great though.  I can't lie, I really did enjoy the very lean pickings over the last couple of days, especially the harder games.  It's a nice mix of being a properly enjoyable sport game on it's own merits, with the chaos of power ups and nasty tackles on top.  Smashing that smug prick mario face first into an electric fence is always a joy.  I imagine multiplayer would be pretty good.  As a singleplayer bloke if this had a league, a my player, a mighty ducks style story mode and like 40 characters I'd be laughing.  Hopefully it gets a bunch more content but I imagine it'll be nothing significant.  Bit of a waste.
  • Same old Nintendo sports story for Strikers by the sounds of it then. Barebones full price release starring a collection of Mario chums with a promise of more content further down the line. They're all fundamentally decent games, they just scream C for effort.

Nintendo fully in the complacent zone for me and I can't see a kick up the bum on the horizon as afaik the Switch still sells multiple truckloads daily.
  • Yeah, it's frustrating.  Like, I don't know how to make games obviously, but it seems like making the game fun to play would be the hard part.  They've done that, just put together a few different modes to play and it'd be all good.

I'm not helping though by preordering this stuff, knowing what these games'll be like!
  • 81. Old Man's Journey - Switch (90mins)

Something I've half fancied playing for years.  It's in the narrative 2D emosh-em 'up genre that I quite like, but other than that I didn't really know what to expect.  It turned out to be a very gentle puzzle game where manipulating the landscape to create a path for your character and occasionally moving sheep is pretty much the extent of your required tasks.  It's all competently laid back but treads a little too much water to stand out from the crowd.  Not something I'd recommend at full price but it's £1.79 at the moment which felt about right.  [6]  

MCKl.gif
  • 82. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - PS5 (8hrs)

I picked up a second DualSense last month, which displeased me as my plan was to thumb my nose forever.  After biting the bullet while bending over Sony's barrel I bought this from Mr. @Tin_Robot at a typically nice price, which took the sting out of paying for another pad.  I've been playing it fairly regularly with Tilly for a couple of weeks now, and the credits rolled this evening.  

I spent a good chunk of the game thinking 'this isn't all that' to be honest.  The controls are fine but far from special.  I'd have to say the platforming is actually slightly worse than New Super Lucky's Tale if push came to shove.  There were numerous occasions where the perspective played tricks on me and the low jump/weak hover shuffle meant head bopping lacked requisite satisfaction levels.  It's a decent platform game, but fundamentally not a great one.  Having said that, I eventually succumbed to its charms as plenty of the later stages are very nicely crafted obstacle courses.  It feels much better than the 2D Little Big Planet games anyway, which always lost me with floatiness.  A common criticism of Super Mario 3D World - one of my favourite 3D platformers and a good comparison for this, given its short stage multiplayer focus - was that the more simplistic stages were dull due to a lack of challenge.  I didn't share that opinion as that whole game was a joy imo, but it's fair to pinch the complaint and level it at Sackboy.  Once it gets going the imaginative juices really start to flow and it starts to level up significantly, it just takes an age to pre-heat.  The final third is great.

The sound design gives this a huge shot in the arm.  The stages that sync and flow with full music tracks never fail to pump it up to full swole doge territory.  In fact, they're among the greatest things in modern gaming and we've played each one half a dozen times.  Not having one on the final world is criminal though, and although it shouldn't really matter in the scheme of things I was bitterly disappointed not to be treated to the surprise I was expecting.  It almost felt like a favourite band not bothering with an encore.  Still, the full track stages that occasionally pop up throughout the rest of the game are pure gold, and raised my appreciation of the overall experience massively.  It's not just the full-lyrics tracks that help this sing either - rearranged classics appear throughout the adventure on numerous occasions.  Outstanding stuff.

So what else then?  Because this clearly doesn't sound like it deserves the [8] I'm building up to.  I guess my appreciation is partly down to the co-op feels Unlikely recently experienced for the first time in the kids thread.  Tilly & I have played plenty of games together over the past few years but I'd be surprised if she loved many as much as she loved this, which (artificially?) elevates it for me too.  Everything from the cut-scenes to the outfit changes landed as pure win for her - it's an excellent game to play with kids.  The only thing she complained about was the re-use of boss encounters.  The final boss announced its arrival with "this is it, the moment we've all been waiting for!", and she said "a different boss battle?".  Got a lol from me; she's right though - the re-used conveyor belt template is fine but it's a sorry state of affairs when something like Super Lucky's Tale blows a near-flagship PS5 launch title out the water for something as integral to a platformer as bosses.

Anyway, this is either quite good or great depending on whether you play it solo or with a much smaller family member.  The progression gating is a bit mean (I'm not looking forward to collecting another 60 orbs solo so she can see the post-game stages), but much like Mario 3D World the secrets are well placed, so the non-hundo hunt isn't a chore.  [8]

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fairly fair though I was less generous. Music stages great, gating shite. I never unlocked the final bit(s).

Also did you try the last Knight stage? That was full on Fuck This Shit.
  • I think we've played 13 of 15 Knitted Knight courses.  Meant to mention them because the vast majority are really good.  Only got gold on three though, was happy to settle for silver for the rest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!