52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • Castlevania Collection? Really?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Thought I'd have a look on cex. £250 to buy. Hmm...
  • Oh you mean the GB original. Yeah some really do go for lots but have to be CIB and mint.
  • 71. Sonic & Knuckles - Xbox Series S/Xbox 360 (1hr 45mins)

I planned to play the full Megazord Sanic until I remembered that the XBLA versions I bought aeons ago couldn't be combined.  Or maybe they could once upon a time, but they can't now.  I've played Sonic 3 far more than this, given that I owned that as a kid and only ever borrowed S&K, so I opted for a run through of the latter as Knuckles.  The full bifta is an amazing Sonic - arguably the best - but solus Knuckles is a wee bit weak and lacks any real S/A tier stages, especially as you don't even get to play Sky Sanctuary as Knuckles.  Flying Battery and Lava Reef Zone might have some of the best classic Sonic tunes around, but I doubt they'd grace a list of many people's favourite stages.  Nor would Hydrocity or Marble Garden though, I guess.

It's a decent enough game on its own despite being my least favourite 16-bit mainline Sonic.  The special stages in this and 3 are actually fun for a change, rather than annoying (Sonic 1) or swish but impossible with a CPU Tails in tow (Sonic 2), so I nabbed all the emeralds on today's playthrough.  As the back half of the game doesn't really flow like the first I never amassed 50 rings to find out if Knuckles becomes Super Knuckles though, which was annoying.

There are plenty of different routes to take and the more platformy elements are mostly well implemented.  It's a decent 16-bit platformer in the scheme of things with some lovely graphics, neato scaling effects and top tunes (which vary from stage to stage rather than simply level to level), but it's best experienced as part of the double stack package deal.  80%

1*89DGilkB01zCru3t2EO5og.gif
  • 72. Knights & Guns: Extended Edition - Switch (4hrs)

Odd little Pang influenced straight up shooter that doesn't do much of note, but keeps its simplistic arcade loop tight enough to appeal to the likes of me.  It's basically Pang Adventures with the puzzle element turned all the way down and the GET SOME! turned all the way up.  Instead of harpoons you get an array of beefy blasters, which you'll use to clear waves of enemies that move along prescribed paths.  Some enemies split into smaller enemies when they pop.  There's a dash move in this, which grants invulnerability and can be used to launch grounded enemies into the air, a weedy floaty jump and a special attack that gradually builds up with kills.  It's pretty good really, without setting foot within a country miles of OMG MUST BUY territory.  For a game that seems to exist in a perennial state of humongous discount it's actually a'ight.  £19.99 nope, £2.69 yep (or £2.89 for the package with all the DLC).  

I had some issues with it, chiefly the fact that the overall stage quality felt a bit random.  Some are great, some are awful.  Reloading takes an absolute age too, which is intentional but a little jarring over time, as is the insistence that you let go of the fire button and press it again to shoot afterwards, even though it feels natural to just lean on it the whole time.  There's also a weird glitch where your character occasionally gets stuck on the spot or in a run at the edge of the screen for a few seconds. 

Visuals are quite nice, like a sort of cheap & cheerful Darkest Dungeon.  Music is unexpectedly fun with a good mix of tunes, including a sort of hey nonny nonny metal bouncer that bangs. [6].  You can probably add a point for couch co-op.  Not as good as The Bug Butcher or Pang Adventures but worth a look if you're a weirdo who needs more.  I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.  

gameplay_1p_3.gif
  • 73. Fight 'N Rage - Switch (80mins)

Yoss praising this recently coupled with a glowing write-up in (the glorious) Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups prompted a revisit to see if I'd been a tad harsh on it in 2020.  I was expecting to warm to it on reappraisal, but if anything I found myself getting slightly more annoyed with it second time through.  It's a brutally tricky game on normal difficulty - although there's a good chance I just suck at it - and I adopted the die and retry approach to most stages as there's not much point in attempting to make it through with less than three lives (which only top up when you continue).  Especially on the final checkpoint, which I didn't think I was going to make it through at one point.  It's a simplistic brawler with a few deeper tricks up its sleeve.  The throw/knock-back cancels are unusual and well implemented, and the parry ability is great.  I particularly like the way it handles specials on a cooldown system - use one and it'll start to recharge, use another before it finishes recharging and it'll take a small chunk of health away.  Miles better than the old school 'specials hurt you too' approach, and a decent alternative to SOR4's regain mechanic.  The combat leans heavily into crowd control, moreso than any other game that springs to mind in the genre.  You can throw enemies backwards or forwards mid combo, and in order to clear zones you'll need to constantly shepherd the assorted baddies into manageable conga lines, which can feel a tad repetitive (strange criticism to level at the genre I guess - YMMV).    

I played with F.Norris last time and Gal today.  They both felt about as useful as each other (i.e not quite useful enough in places), but all the gals have such pendulously jiggling jugs I didn't know where to look during juggles.  It's silly really - sometimes the medium's obsession with MEDIUM BAPS can be amusing, but the fact that someone sat there and painstakingly animated the wibbly wobbliness on show here is a bit creepy.  

There's a strong emphasis on replaying ad infinitum to earn credits for various unlockables, but the core experience isn't strong enough for endless playthroughs imo, and that's coming from a fan of the rinse & repeat nature of these things.  I'd definitely play again in three player, but it's unlikely I'll play solo again any time soon.  

I mentioned this last time, but the CRT filter and screen options are the best I've seen anywhere so I'll mention it again.  Music is eclectic and decent enough, it just doesn't really feel like a good fit - the genre needs propulsive street prowler tunes, not slightly off tempo jazz numbers.

It's a decent game with a lot going for it.  I think [6] was about right for the single player mode though.  I played it briefly with two mates and it's no quite on the podium for modern examples of the genre, but it's good fun with a group of friends and an optional couch.  There are plenty of different routes and modes to keep dedicated players occupied.  I'm happy to leave it at casual playthrough level, so I doubt I'll ever find out what's hiding behind all the question marks on the mode select screen.     

BUT WAIT.  I've been reading a little more about the game while finishing this review off, and I think I'm going to give it a go with Ricardo tomorrow.  Watch this space, let's see if we can bump this up to a [7].  I want to like it more than I actually do.

D552E9397378AE4CB3FB3575C85395FF8A2F33A6
  • Ricardo is wrecking screens, I don't usually play these with heavy types but it's a different game with him. 6 was harsh both times.
  • 14. SIFU - 5 Hours - 7/10 - PS5

This was one of my given up on games but with the introduction of the ‘easy mode’ I went back. I did like it before but simply not enough to get into the flow of it, remembering the moves, counter moves etc, never been a fight man’s and this does kinda need it. But with the new mode it becomes a fun modern scrolling button Mashable beat em-up which was hella fun.

Just burned through it in a couple of sittings and finished it having only added a couple more years but it was nice just playing it for fun instead of getting irritated knowing progress was pretty much impossible when you’d reached a certain age and still had the boss etc.

Definitely worth it now as if you don’t get on with the tougher journey you can just switch it up and be a badass.

15. Trek to Yumi- 7 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox Series-X

Strange one this, feel almost the exact same as Moot. There’s a score it should be as it’s so very repetitive without ever really expanding on your moves to make it very different or worth switching up combo’s etc. Everything looks the same, and it throws some crap puzzles at you maybe two thirds of the way in which are super simple and just get in the way…but…it’s just always cool being a badass Samurai.

The samey samey combat does look and feel ace when it all flows and you take out several enemies with finishers and deft strikes, doesn’t happen as often as it should but when it does it’s aces.

That’s the problem and the best part of this, when it works it’s ace and cool, when it doesn’t it’s just clumsy and so limited. Hopefully they go on to improve their formula. 6/10.
  • Part 1: Games 1-4 (Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot)
    Part 2: Game 5 (Bloodborne PSX)
    Part 3: Game 6 (Day Repeat Day)

7. Elden Ring

Played a bunch of this on PS5 and on PC. Completed it twice (and that was a while ago). Not as enamoured with it as some are, but it's still excellent, and an absolutely stunning achievement. It's pretty much everything I want in a Souls game (and I mean Souls purely in the Demon's / Dark sense - not Sekiro etc. as I like them to do their own thing.). Will very likely go back at some point and dive right in with a new build. [8]

8. Gran Turismo 7

mevAwFl.png

Did a fair chunk in this, took a load of pics, bought cars and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Then the servers went down and suddenly 99% of the single-player content was inaccessible. Got a refund (with about 30-40 hours on the clock).

Until that point though, it was the best time I'd had in a racing game in a long, long time. It has the most delicious handling model, and is just stunning to look at. It does feel, however, like a game trapped between trying to be a Classic Gran Turismo with a fully, meaty career mode, and a GaaS. Will re-buy it for sure - just happy to let it sit for a bit longer until Polyphony have 6 months of not fucking up under their belt. [8] (yes, still gets an 8 because it's really, really good.)

9. Horizon: Forbidden West

After getting my GT7 refund, I bought this. Played a fair chunk, got deep into the story. It's More Horizon! 

The combat is still the highlight, but i'm not sure if something changed because it doesn't feel like the combat can carry the game as much anymore. Aloy talks to herself too much, constantly prodding the player and spoiling puzzle solutions. The game feels like the most Design By Feedback game ever, terrified of the player getting lost, not knowing how to solve a puzzle, being confused for 2 seconds.

Maybe if I shoot that canister on it's back?
    Gonna need a way to get up there.
    Maybe I can use those [things] to blow up that [obstruction]
    I should get going to [location]

It's incessant and you can't turn it off. The characters are...fine. The story is competently told and has THEMES. But I got a long way in and I just realised it's really, aggressively okay. It's Ubisoft +1. And I was just bored. [6]

10. Emily is Away 3 

jz6CHlF.jpg

Put this off for a while and after the somewhat uneven experience of 2 I was worried that the idea was being stretched too thin. Then, seeing it was moving to Facebook and off MSN/AOL, I was pretty much sure that it would click less as that was never my era. 

I shouldn't have worried. It's startlingly good. [10]

11. FIFA 22

Talked about it in the PS5 thread. It's shite. Still a decent kick about for low-stakes relaxing multiplayer (thanks Shabby) but just an awful mess. Horrible menus, buggy career mode, intrusive online features, sluggish gameplay. It's a shame, as the presentation is so good. 

[2] unless you're with a mate and just relaxing in which case it's a solid [6].

12. Ghostwire: Tokyo

JNT5qZT.jpg

Not technically done with this, but should finish soon and have played enough to know my feelings. Will update if the ending changes my impressions radically. 

Looks like a PS5 game, plays like a PS2 game. And, that's not necessarily a criticism, just a statement that traversal and combat are very point-and-shoot. Very basic. Go into it expecting an action game, or open-world survival horror and you will be disappointed. 

Instead, accept what it is - an open-world walking simulator in Japanese horror and folklore clothing, with a lot of collectibles and side-stuff to do which involves going to place, pressing button and you're done.

It's surprisingly chill and old-school. I also don't think that's entirely deliberate - seems clear that there's a whole identity crisis going on in this game and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in a lot of trouble during dev. But, there's still fun to be had here with the right mindset, and the animations are top class. [7]

13. Good Night, Knight

0N21efn.jpg

Early-access dungeon crawler top-down 2D roguelike zelda-like with dual analogue Souls-esque combat?

Interesting one this. Very flawed. Gamepad implementation is there but it's woefully uneven, with different buttons working differently in menus. Combat, at least at first, feels a bit sludgier than i'd like. Even the upgraded jump-dodge feels inaccurate and underpowered. There's a million small issues here.

But, like there's also some good stuff. The inventory system allows you to equip certain buffs, which be levelled up individually, to take into a run which (to a point) manages to have that power increase seen in roguelites without falling too hard into Rogue Legacy territory. There's a power cap, at least until you get stuff levelled up and the cost requirements drop down. 

It uses line of site, which is fun, allowing you to scope out a room and, again, there's buffs and upgrades you can apply to this too. You can also take on curses, which give you disadvantages, but increase score multiplier. 

Just, don't go in expecting a quick twin-stick shooter where you tear through rooms - this isn't it. Combat is heavy and slow and you will run out of stamina if you are not careful. 

Not perfect, far from complete, but definitely interesting. [7]

14. There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Copied over from the Just Completed thread.

60ykkaY.jpg

Late to the party but finally got around to playing There Is No Game. 4-5 hours long, absolutely zero bloat -  a very svelte and constantly inventive little thing. I laughed a lot, probably the most laughs-per-minute-per-pound of any game I've played. Or, at least, I can't remember a game that managed to extract more. 

It's not perfect, but it'd feel churlish to mark it down too heavily for those flaws - there's a couple of parts that are slightly annoying as you have to grab things with your mouse, some puzzle solutions are a little awkward to execute (even if you know the solution), not every joke lands... They're not game breakers, and in a game that swings for the fences as often and and hard as this, a few misses are forgivable. 

Buy it. Like, for real - just buy it and play it. Linku.  An easy, easy [9]

XFb3AQD.jpg
  • Wow, quite the catch-up post!  I must play There Is No Game.
  • 16. Gears 2 - 8 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

What a ride. It’s just a war from beginning to end. No real down points or sections. Just blast after blast in terms of firefights, explosions and vehicles/beasts to ride. And what a ride it and they are. Shame I’m playing through these when there’s talk of The Marcus Fenix Collection. Though I’ll do it all again then as they’re that good AND there’s fuck all else coming out really.

Solid 8/10
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wow, quite the catch-up post!  I must play There Is No Game.

Realise I also have Disco Elysium, Cyberpunk, Deep Rock Galactic and Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
  • There Is No Game is fucking ace. Kinda thought it would have had more love on here but there’s always time I guess.
  • I assume it's for Xbox?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's on my list.
  • 74. Valfaris - Switch (6hrs 45mins)

I described this as the best example of the genre ever created after my first playthrough in June 2020, and I'm nodding in full agreement with my early lockdown self.  It has a smattering of nifty tricks and techniques but minimal gimmicks; at a core level it's a traditional run and gun in the Contra multidirectional aiming mould.  There's no slide, sprint or i-frame dash, but you can counter (both projectiles and close quarters attacks) and lock your stance for eight-way fire, plus there's a heavy emphasis on melee combat as it refills your special bar.  It's mostly old school, but it's ultimate form stuff.  As comparable examples I think I gave Blazing Chrome an [8] a few years ago, which was an enjoyable stab at a blates Contra homage, and Hard Corps Uprising a [9] last year after finally deciding not to be a PUSSY'OLE and tackle it after years of whimpering at the memory of level 2.  This is head and shoulders above the former and like, half a head ahead of the latter.  It's also better than Cuphead, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Hominid, Broforce, Probotector and any other mighty fine left to right platform shooters I may have forgotten.  Yes, even Huntdown.  Admittedly I've never properly played a Metal Slug for some unknown reason, but I'm happy to guess it's better than those too.      

Ignore or embrace the visuals, it's irrelevant really (I can't deny warming to them a little this time).  The excellence of the gameplay/design can't be understated: there is no better trad run & gun in the history of forever.  It doesn't have the zip and panache of a Housemarque shooter, but it wouldn't be put in the shade by their best work as it executes almost everything it attempts perfectly (the mech sections are on the iffy side admittedly, but they're still a welcome enough diversion).  Bring on the sequel.  [9]

NB: this is £6.74 on Switch at the moment, and may be on sale for other consoles too, which is the cheapest it's been by some distance. 

MessySneakyAsiantrumpetfish-size_restricted.gif
  • 75. There is No Game - Switch (5hrs)

A nice little meta puzzle game that deftly sidesteps conceitedness before stomping every 4th wall with its steel-capped clever clogs.  Plenty of indies try the self-referential thing these days but few that I've played pull it off so well.  It tries hard to be funny, which is often a recipe for disaster in games, but it succeeds relentlessly.  Cinty said it was the funniest game he could think of and after my knee-jerk 'might be worth a thread' idea fizzled out I played this and it's now probably mine too.  Monkey Island was the first game that sprung to mind (there's a cracking Lechuck's Revenge reference in here btw), but that never really aims for a constant barrage of gags - regular smiles and plenty of gentle chuckles yes, but perhaps not as many lmao's as you might remember.  Portal/Portal 2, Horace and Lair of the Clockwork God were the next best answers I could think of.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but whatever that might be I doubt it's as amusing as There is No Game.  The vast majority of the time I thought the gags landed, which is impressive as there's no real let-up.  It's a puzzle game, sure, but you're just driving the script forward with the conundrum solutions really, and it's good enough to sustain a five hour experience.  In terms of coaxing out genuine 'lol' moments this does a far better job than you might be trained to expect.

It's best not knowing much else before playing, so I'll leave it there and hope that anyone who plays it enjoys the regular flashes of brilliance.  If you like point & clicks you should check this out, even if that's not necessarily the pigeon hole this would slot into.  [8]

Youtube shorts eh?  So that's a thing these days.  Sarcastic clap for everyone involved.  Anything you upload under 1 minute long seems to automatically upload in this crappy 'WE CAN DO TIKTOK TOO' format, which looks shit and won't embed.  

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xa7seHwPh18
  • Nice write up, that - glad you enjoyed it.
  • This rec puts you ahead of Muzzy on points.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Outrageous
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My recs have proved 100% solid
  • I had to remove 5 points for Splasher because I remembered it was a Monkey rec.
  • 76. WATTAM - PS5 (3hrs)

I'd heard this was one of those abundance of charm games and was intrigued by the Keita Takahashi section in A Profound Waste Of Time (which ERE kindly Santa'd me for Christmas) so I nabbed it for £4.99 in the current sale, which is a pretty chunky discount.  I've not really played Katamari - a quick go on my lunch break at Game many years ago was enough to file it under 'not for me', and despite enjoying this to an extent it can go in the same category.  My hot take on Takahashi - based on not nearly enough evidence to make such an accusation - is that he's got a touch of the Yuji Naka's about him as the execution of his ideas is stuck in a bygone generation.  Everything about this screams PS2 curio to me (something that might be sandwiched between Mister Mosquito and Mad Maestro in a HIDDEN GEMS Youtube vid), except it isn't.  A quick Google revealed that this is a PS4 game from the ground up which surprised me a little as I was half expecting to discover it was an HD remake, or a rescued cancellation.  

It's kind of a puzzle game, I guess, but for the most part it tends to pretty much just tell you what to do.  Controls are too breezy and the manual character change is annoying, as is the camera, with the word slapdash springing to mind for various aspects of the game's design.  There's a co-op mode, which is how I played it, but it makes the whole thing slightly more fiddly as both players have camera pan/zoom and menu controls.  Tilly enjoyed herself immensely, I tried to do the same but failed.  Maybe I'm dead inside, but this isn't my kind of interactive (slightly manic) charm.  It's passable for the sale price, but I tend to require more substance to the gamey parts of my games and 'it's brimming with insanity!'/'it has a hokey song at the end!' can only do so much heavy lifting.  It didn't remind me of much else I've played (a slightly unsettling twee hysteria cheese nightmare version of Stacking maybe), so it scores high for originality, unfortunately it's just not all that good.  No hate but no love; I find half-games like this a bit weird.  [5]

201910_Iris-Chen_Accountant.gif
  • 77. One Finger Death Punch 2 - PS5 (7-8hrs)

It's a bit of a cliché to describe a gaming experience as 'zen-like', but ignore all the other times you may have read that and put all your faith in me, just for the following sentence - there's a tranquil core to the staggeringly frantic, intrinsically repetitive action of OFDP2 and I've rarely (if ever) played such a turbulent game that rewards a calm approach to play.  If Rocket League is the ultimate videogame representation of football, which people do say and I get their point - no other game has come anywhere near it for the dropping-for-a-volley, This is My Momeeeent feeling for a start - then this is the ultimate representation of, um, Buddhist monks defending themselves?  Or something like that anyway.  Take a deep breath and let all the colours of the rainbow try to knock you off your square.  They might be rushing you like a 180 bpm DnB head wobbler but if you play it smart (between the notes, master of the mind not the body, Mortal Kombat kebab man, there is no spoon) you'll be in the middle catching a leaf like Ryo listening to that Chinese Fiddles track from Shenmue.  I don't know how they pulled it off but the feeling of chaotic serenity is wonderful.  It's an incredibly relaxing (not to mention addictive) experience, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to explain why without getting someone to play it for themselves.  

For what it is, which clearly won't be for everyone, it's close to perfection.  Cards on the table: I only decided that I wasn't going all in with a [10] when I finally sat down to write this review.  This is that good at what it does.  It's an ultra-focused amalgamation of rhythm action, tower defence, autorunners and (hear me out) LCD gaming.  For the latter, think of something like Greenhouse, where the difficulty ramped up as you desperately sprayed away the relentless hordes of pests across both screens.  You're essentially fending off moments where you're eventually overwhelmed here too, albeit with less inputs required than Greenhouse, and I don't think there's ever been a game that nails that simplistic weather the storm, controlled carnage feeling better than this.  It's an astonishingly good game with an unparalleled rhythm to the inoffensive yet bloodthirsty offensive defence core.   

The art style is banging.  From the excellent stick man sprites to the primo nasty Amiga box art looking scene cards it's a good job well done.  Even when the action slowed for an extended killing animation I never groaned once. I could wax lyrical about the whole thing all day but I won't.  Actually I often type that to hook myself off stage if I'm aware I've been waffling, but I'm on holiday so I'm going to ramble on for a bit today.

More stuff.  The way each enemy type settles straight into the rhythm after only one or two appearances is startling.  Most games let new mechanics stretch their legs a bit before the throwing the deep end at you, but somehow in OFDP you learn to take it in your stride almost instantly.  Or I did anyway - maybe the CBD E-liquid I've been messing around with came up trumps?  It's like chucking extra objects at a juggler and having him snatch them out the air and add them to the mix on the fly, or being good enough at an instrument for 'watch me for the changes and try and keep up' to suffice as instruction.  The passive perks are great, the bonus rounds never get old, none of the more off-beat level types are over-used (projectile master over here) and the voiceover does precisely what it should be doing - which is: sounding like someone doing an impression of a 30% more jocular Tatsu from the first Ninja Turtles film. 

The whole thing uses two buttons.  Two buttons!  All you do is defend yourself from the left or the right when the frontrunners of near-endless swathes of enemies (or projectiles) threaten to encroach on your personal space.  Due to the length of your attack zones on either side you'll either be smacking folks an inch from your face or stepping toward the danger to snuff it out, which adds an element of sashaying screen control to the crowd control.  Honestly, I can't do it justice describing the way things work so I'd encourage anyone who's even remotely intrigued by this to give it a go.  It's £2.80 in the current PSN sale, so even if you think it looks like a hideous affront to gaming it's got to be worth a punt.  I've convinced two people to buy it so far and my success rate for thumbs up stands at 50% (technically 25% on Whatsapp).  And he might've just been lying to shut me up.  I didn't think it was a difficult game as I only outright failed a handful of stages, and rarely more than once, but I kept the manual speed pretty low and used a few revenge tokens to see me through my chosen route.  The campaign/quest is unnecessarily long on paper, but that's irrelevant for something as relentlessly addictive as this.  I'd still be playing it right now if the wonderful end sequence hadn't played earlier. 

Only Returnal beats it this year for anything I've played, so many thanks to @afgavinstan for the rec.  Near perfect in-the-zone gaming, straight into my all-time top 50.  [9]

3093F286BF644143021F23D5CBC52484F30EF332
  • I'll have some of that this weekend.
  • Part 1: Games 1-4 (Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot)
    Part 2: Game 5 (Bloodborne PSX)
    Part 3: Game 6 (Day Repeat Day)
    Part 4: Games 7-14 (Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Emily is Away 3, Fifa 22, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Good Night Knight, There is no Game)

No, I haven't completed another 8 games - several of these were games I finished at the beginning of the year but forgot to write up. After double-checking dates and times of certain screenshots on the PS5, I realised I hadn't talked about the first 4 of these games. So...

15. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Yes, it's very wordy and smart and dense and, often, quite pretty. The actual role-play side of this role-play game is a hoot, feeling meaningful in a way that, say, a Bethesda game never, ever will be. It also got deep into my head and the lead character's attempts (or lack of attempts) to not be a complete human disaster hit home more than once. I just wish it was a little more fun to play. [7]

16. Cyberpunk 2077

Absolute heresy given that I just gave Critical Darling and Game Awards Game of the Year Disco Elysium a 7, and we all know how awful Cyberpunk is but...i much prefer this. 

Bought this at launch (on PS4) and played a fair amount. Never completed it, though. Came back towards the end of last year and finally did a whole new run-through from start on PS5.

So yeah - the game is uneven. Certain questlines feel like they just end half-done. Certain skills are broken. A lot of the upgrades don't get the blood pumping. There are still bugs. NPCs are painfully dumb. The city feels incomplete. The cyberpunk side of cyberpunk feels like something purely decorative and, unlimitedly, they don't really do anything interesting with it.

But it doesn't matter because, despite all this, nobody in the world does characters as good as CDPR. Characters glace and wink and smile and look in awe - not in a way that feels deliberate or overacted, not in a way that feels stiff and gamey. This is Naughty Dog cutscene surpassing stuff applied across dozens of characters across hundreds of hours and it stinks of love and care and time and money. 

It helps that guns feel crunchy and loud, that the car interiors are lovingly detailed. It helps that there's a great soundtrack. It helps that often the game is just stunning to look at. It helps that I think Keanu is actually really, really good in this. 

But most of all I go back to those character moments. Sitting next to each other and just staring in awe at the character animation. Watching NPCs look up at the stars and recognise their gaze, and the small disbelieving smile on their face as they are overwhelmed with beauty. Multiple times I've looked at characters and just gasped with how alive they look. 

And then a texture will go janky or an NPC will randomly catapult through the air. [8]

17. Deep Rock Galactic

Rock and Stone!

Amazing in co-op. [8]

18. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

A bitter disappointment. I like The Yak. I like turn-based combat systems. But this...naw, not a fan.

The Yakuza game humour has to do a lot of carrying, especially early on, but I actually feel like the hit/miss ratio of this game doesn't stand up to something like 0. 

I quite like Ichiban as a new series lead, and I like the games focus on the losers of society - it feels nice and sweet in a way that Yak can excel at - but ultimately the game's themes were too broadly and crudely conveyed and the game had one unforgivable sin...

Strip away the ZANY MADLAD YAKLAD animations and decoration from the combat and you're left with something...boring. It's just a dull combat system. Not because it's turn-based, it's just a bad turn-based system and I straight up didn't want to get into fights. That has never happened to me in a Yakuza game before. [5]

19. Manifold Garden

aAGhVvLL_o.gif

It actually made my stomach turn. It's also quite pretty. It does quite a lot with a little, in terms of the number of different pieces it includes in puzzles. Things get more complex over time, and new mechanics are introduced, but it mostly just leans on all the head spinning fractal jiggery pokery and that was probably a good idea. [7]

20. Factori

qA7lj8Wa_o.gif

Yes, Factori. Not Factorio, that's a different game. Nina said this game has the worst name ever and I am inclined to agree - purely from a search engine perspective, this name is a disaster. But, hey, the game itself is pretty cool. 

It's one of those production line games like, er, Factorio (oh, ffs), but with a couple of twists.

Twist The First: You're producing letters of the alphabet (mostly) by taking the starting letter "i" and running it through machines that can flip, curve, twist, duplicate and invert. At first you're just tasked with making a letter. Need an "o"? Ok, well, get your "i", curve it into a "c", duplicate, flip one around and then combine...

But soon enough you're being left to figure out entire words. Sounds stressful except...

Twist The Second: It's really colourful and chill. Very much one of those new-fangled lo-fi games that all the cool indie kids are huffing, this is actually quite relaxing despite the complexity. Also, it's quite cheap. Get it here. [8]

21. Circadian Dice

Well, this was a nice surprise. It's Out Soon on Steam, but already for sale on itch.io - although there is a Steam demo which you can try out. I downloaded the demo off the back of a recommendation and lost a good few hours without realising it. After that, went straight out and got the whole thing.

It's a turn-based deck builder, but instead of cards you have dice.

You start each run with just 2 dice but that can increase to 4. On each side of your dice you will see some symbols with early characters (there are about 9!) only have a small selection (usually Attack, Defend, Money, Gem) and later characters having a growing number of options and sub-symbols.

Strategy comes from both choosing which moves to keep and which to re-roll, while also figuring how best to augment your dice. You see, you can buy better sides for your dice - some replacing existing parts of your dice, others augmenting them. But, there's often a balance to consider. Get more gems on your dice and you have a better chance to be able to use special attacks, but at the same time you might leave yourself with an uncomfortably low chance of rolling an attack symbol when needed. Or, go heavy on money to buy better dice in the later rounds, but leave yourself without many shields for defense. 

JZAQHKku_o.png

Then, complexity increases. Penetrating attacks that ignore shields, enemies that reduce all attacks to 1, enemies that always deflect level 1 attacks - meaning you need at least an attack +2 to roll (if you even have one!), attacks that curse, poison, disease, petrification, a day/night cycle...

There's winning (which isn't too hard) but then there's winning with a score high enough to get 5 stars and unlock new things (which often requires turning down certain bonuses between waves in favour of maintaining a "streak"). Then there's relics you can take into fights (similar to Slay the Spire). 

And yeah...it's an impressive game for such a low price. 

Now, to be clear - this is absolutely not Slay the Spire levels of mechanical polish. The RNG can be cruel and sometimes you're just screwed because every roll from the start comes up with something you don't need. Leaving a run and restarting is absolutely needed in certain fights if you want 5 stars and that's ok as unlike some other games of this ilk, runs are done and dusted in 10-25 minutes.

Overall, it's a generous, well-made and mechanically satisfying game despite its flaws. And one I could wholeheartedly recommend to any people who enjoy deck builders. [8]

22. NieR Re[in]carnation 

The free-to-play mobile phone NieR game. 

I started playing it as a FFXIV crossover event was coming up and I decided I wanted to check it out. What I found was a gatcha game with very simple mechanics where you roll on characters and weapons and hope you get something rare and shiny. Then, grind and level up. 

Mechanically it was basic and the fights literally manage themselves - you rarely need to touch anything once a fight has started. Strategy only really comes into play on the higher difficulties where weapon and character comp finally starts to matter, but for the most part you can ignore that. 

So...it's hardly earth shattering, and is mostly inoffensive. It's the story, characters and music that make it worthwhile. Those are pure NieR, and it was worth playing the game in order to experience those. Need to log back in as there's still stuff to do, but played enough and seen enough to know where I sit on it. [6]
  • Disco Elysium exposes me as a giant phony.  It's the exact game I was crying out for, for like a decade.  Then it came out and I played it for about 4 hours.  One day...

Tetris Effect (PC) 8/10

This is the second time playing it, and I think I liked it better this time.  I still don’t really get on with that Rez thing of adding to the music as you play, so I’m missing a big part of what this game does.  Tetris is the sort of game I like to play while listening to some other media, which would be silly with Tetris Effect.  I do think it looks pretty snazzy but would like the actual game area to be bigger.  I like this, only less than a regular normal game of Tetris.

Tekken 7: Mission To Moscow (PS5) 8/10

Much like with Tetris Effect, I’m missing out of a big part of this game too!  In a different way.  This time it’s the online multiplayer.  The singleplayer stuff is really generous, at least with the complete version of the game. 

Story mode is (at least to someone who doesn’t care about most Tekken characters) pretty bland.  It peaks in the opening level, where you play as a small boy attempting to bash his Dad.  I think the rest of it is an unnamed reporter covering a corporate takeover.  There was some batty stuff but I kept zoning out.  Not good stuff.  Miles behind modern day MK and Injustice.

PS I can’t stand it when you play a game on the easiest difficulty and there’s still a hard fight at the end.  WTF I clearly don’t care about this, why are you giving me a challenge!

You also have Bowling which is quite a bit of fun, some arcade modes including one where you unlock lots of goodies to customize your character with.  As fun as it is to dress characters up in Bullet Club shirts, I have to admit most of it looks generic and it’s never as good as their normal outfits.

It could probably do with a silly short CGI ending like they used to do?  I don’t know.  Oh and the fighting’s quite fun.

Dusk (Switch) 7/10

This is a throwback to those late 90’s early 3D FPSs.  I really like the Quake Switch port so I thought this would be right up my ally.  There’s not much wrong with it (although I do think even with the low detail look of the game, it’s not very stylish at all.  The only visual thing I really like is that you reload the shotgun like when Arnie is on the motorbike in T2).  Maybe the bloom is off but this reminded me of what I think about the old Dooms – Amazing fun early on, but when the levels start getting mazelike I completely check out.  The levels are just not interesting enough to explore.  Getting the Yellow Key and trying to remember where you saw the Yellow Door?  I was sick of it about 1/3 of the way through to be honest.

Switch Sports (Mostly single player) (Switch) 5/10

This isn’t real flash when you’re playing alone.  It was pretty much a case of learn the tutorial for each sport, try it once, say ‘is that it?’ and not play it again.  Except for bowling, and hopefully golf!  I need some friends who enjoy computer games.  Mine mostly just want to watch football and talk about houses.

I did play bowling online and won easily.  I’m not very good, but everyone else was shocking.  Like I think the person who came second only got like 40 points.  I felt like a god for a minute.  I didn’t play again in case they made me compete against better players.  I would pay for that bowling game to have a giant single player career mode with that ‘who do you think you are I am’ bloke as the last boss.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I've had Dusk on my watch list for a while, heard good things. Might take it off now though!
  • I live to take money out of indie developers' pockets!  haha

Speaking of watch lists, have you gotten around to trying that recent Asterix beat em up?  The mixed reviews and high price have kept me away, but damn it looks snazzy.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!