52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 6. Day Repeat Day
    Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1532520/Day_Repeat_Day/

Have you ever wanted to play a Papers, Please / Emily is Away style interactive novel about life, love and the soul crushing nature of capitalism and labour while working for a company such as Amazon wrapped up in Match-3 gameplay? That's a rhetorical question, btw, I know that's what we've all wanted. 

T2thw5W.jpg

Go to work and pick up your packing and distribution task list for the day. Send text messages between tasks to your boss, old flame, dead beat brother, the CEO...? Make choices about how to reply. Watch the days that you work there increase. Is this all there is? Do you ever feel like you could have aimed for more?

This game is...a lot. It's tone starts similar to Emily is Away but it quickly decides to lean into a pervasive sense of nihilism. The world is fucked, there is no joy, there is only work. The music, which starts electronic, chill and low key slowly becomes more strung out, distorted and unsettling. The game itself also becomes harder and harder to play. It's not a long game, but I would recommend not one-sessioning it, as i felt it overstaying it's welcome somewhat until the point I took a break and came back to it later. 

RfTJdQF.png

It doesn't pull punches and the anxiety around healthcare, money, children, alcoholism, grief, the ethics of working for a despicable company, the dawn of AI replacing workers...it's all there. It's a relentless amount of content for a game that, on the surface, seems so laid back and so slight. And there's secrets, oh lord there's secrets. Branching paths too, though I doubt i'll want to sit through it again to find all there is. Once was enough, and I feel drained having sat through it.

3t3fEdd.png

It's a great bit of work. Far from perfect, maybe a little too on the nose at times. Thematically muddled for sure. Maybe overly cynical. Certainly not traditionally enjoyable. But, it took me 4.5 hours to complete and it's also on sale right now for less than 4 quid. It's also on the Apple App Store (not sure about android) and would be perfectly suited to playing on your phone. [7]
  • Not sure I could devote 4.5hrs to something like that but it sounds intriguing. I plan to play Emily is Away at some point though.
  • Emily is Away is the GoaT of that particular genre still.
  • 29. Flat Heroes - Switch (4hrs)

A minimalistic epic adventure.  I recommended this to Muzzy ages ago and he wasn't taken with it.  We both based our hot takes on the opening stages, and at that point I was right and he was wrong as it starts quite well.  It turns out he was correct on the whole as it gradually runs out of steam, but he wasn't to know this so he can't have the kudos points.  

It's another Avoid It!* game, but it's not as fun as Hyperdot or Just Shapes & Beats.  You have direct control of a square that can double jump (the double jump being more of a thrust in any direction) and stick to walls, with gravity always coaxing it down to terra firma, platformer style.  The stages chuck different things at you until you die enough times to learn to survive the patterns. Fundamentally it's a sound package - especially for £3ish, which it often sells for, with mp options and vs/survival modes on top of the main campaign (plus extra difficulties), but it dips a toe too far into annoying far too often for my tastes.  Some of the later stages deserve a good flob in the face.  I had to chip away it over many months in the end as a full chapter always left me feeling slightly violated.  

Good but not quite worthwhile.  Among other things it could've done with a better soundtrack - for a game like this the bleeps & bloops are a bit uninspired.  I enjoyed the boss stages but ten sets of fifteen stages over-egged things a little; less would've been more.  [6]

bf3441fbaadffb198a7014c467adad27d2c3abe2.gif

* Editing this in before Elf can type 'like all moot games!!'.
  • £3?! Isn’t that like twice the price of your normal purchases?! Moot be splurging now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ah, forgot to comment on the last page but good call on Just Shapes and Beats - played it a while back and it’s legit. Am 100% with you on recommending it to others.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have not played it hard of Flat Heroes I don't think, so the opening post from moot is, as ever, fake news.
  • Really? Could've sworn I made you buy it a couple of years ago.

Never go full me.
  • Classic Moot / Muzzy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I may be mad-mouthing moot. 

I doubt it tho.
  • There's no way the search function is going to help me with Flat or Heroes.

I tried 'flat' and it only went back as far as early January.
  • I knew elf was my favourite for a reason.

Looks like I'm talking out my arse and Muzzy didn't play it though, nvm.
  • <3
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 12: Panzer Dragoon Remake (Switch) 6/10

This is my first time with PD.  I really like the setting, it seems like an original take on your usual fantasy/fantasy stuff.  Kinda middle eastern with laser guns, synthesisers and also dragons.  It reminded me of Rez, a game I'm not really big on.  Don't like the painting multiple targets with your crosshair then unleashing firing method much, prefer the old school hammering the fire button.  

I hated the first level, this is because I didn't know you could turn around!  It really opened up after that though and I ended up mostly having a good time for the brief duration of the game.  Mostly just sight seeing.

I don't really have much of an urge to play it again right now, but might well in a year or two. 

It is let down by running pretty choppily on Switch which is a shame.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Was disappointed with the remake, the whole thing felt cheap imo.  The original was decent, clearly given a massive shot in the arm by the ERMAHGERD TUXTURE MOPS 3D visuals and quality world building/ace soundtrack, but Zwei was the first game that was genuinely legit.
  • 30. Earthworm Jim (SNES, 2hrs+) & 31. Earthworm Jim (MD, 70 mins)

Disclaimer: I was big into this game when I rented it at least twice in the latter days of the early 90s. I managed to finish it back then but Christ knows how.  For reference, in 1994 this would've been a Moot 93%.

My appropriately named Virgin Games list, as it would have looked in 1993/4:

1. Aladdin
    2. Cool Spot
    3. The Lion King
    4. Mick & Mack Global Gladiators
    5. The Jungle Book (a stinker imo)

Only one of those is still good, so it's not like I'm about to be overly mean on DP's first Shiny effort (which would now sit at no.2, FTR).

I mentioned in the retro thread recently that Gargoyles, which I attempted to play on MD, 'felt a bit like [Earthworm Jim] minus the shooting', after having described it as clunky.  A couple of badgers weren't avvin' it and I got my legs taken out by Nasty Nick & Chopper Byrne.  After reading a recent Retro Gamer article I thought I'd double check the validity of my hot take.  

And after playing two stages of the SNES version it was pretty obvious I was right.  I defy anyone to play through What the Heck? without asking themselves that very question.  VAR decision is 'clunky', wrongfams.  From the opening screens it feels like a poor GBA port - you know the ones that were fundamentally solid but the screen was cropped and too close to the action (like Idunno, the Ecco port).  Retroking confirmed that this is exactly what happened with many MD to SNES ports but I don't remember this being a known or widely acknowledged thing at the time - I certainly don't remember it being touched on at all in the gaming press (or playgrounds) #backintheday.  Maybe that's because I only read the Sega mags, but I would've thought that would've been the most likely place to see it.  Anyway (to quote Richard Leadbetter's younger self), I digress.  The offshoot of this is that the clunk is exacerbated on the SNES, resulting in required leaps of faith, or enemies more or less hitting you before they're even on screen.  Without save states it would have been unbearable.

It's one of those games where you have a large pool of health, with various health pick-ups scattered throughout the stages.  Looking back on the likes of Cool Spot, Mickey Mania etc - games I enjoyed to varying degrees as a kid - this cyclical chip away/replenish health system was indicative of poorly designed gameplay.  You will take damage, but it's fine because you can recoup some here and here. AKA 'it's not tight enough to be played properly so let the player take more hits'.  This isn't always the case (Gunstar Heroes for example), but I'm having it as a rule of thumb for 16-bit platformers.  With modern sensibilities a giant highlighter pen flags up numerous deficiencies in EWJ's basics within a few stages, whereas something that might have felt dated at the time (let's say Wardner) almost improves with hindsight thanks to the precision play.  If Super Mario World is a sped up Stephen Hendry 147 break accompanied by the William Tell Overture then Earth Worm Jim is Nick poking balls with the fat end of Juanita (four Effes in) on three different tables at once to the Ready, Steady, Cook theme.

Don't get me wrong, this is An Important 16-bit Game.  The characters, sights, sounds and quirky inventiveness are absolutely wonderful.  There are numerous iconic moments and laudable one-shot diversions and it's vastly superior to a huge number of platformers from the era.  (Slug for a) BUT, it has not aged well.  For Nick: Remember the bit in Prince of Thieves when Marian's hand maiden pretends to be Marian on a balcony and Robin, who hasn't seen her for ages, does a porkie pie when she steps into the light and says 'time has...........been kind'?  That's you & Jim m8.  You know it's true.

The Megadrive version has similar design deficiencies but feels vastly superior thanks to the intended aspect ratio.  It also has an extra stage, but it's one of the weaker efforts on offer.  Anyone who plans to revisit should definitely go Sega with this one, I almost enjoyed it.  

SNES [4]
    Megadrive [6]

So I stand by the thought I initially meant to run up the flagpole - release a game that plays precisely like this in 2022 and you'd struggle to get out of the 30s on Metacritic, based on the three sources willing to review it.

tumblr_m61ydneXAC1r9cjqxo1_500.gif
  • I refuse to believe it despite the cracking PoT reference.
  • I need a swole doge Dave Perry vs Dave Perry meme with the text Earthworm Jim in 1994 vs Earthworm Jim in 2022.
  • Right I'm definitely going to play it next week so I can tell you all how wrong you are.
  • Moots absolutely right about the health pick-up and damage issue. It’s a state. A cover-up for slipshod gameplay. There’s one boss (around level 2 or 3) that you shoot at, he drops health, you can’t avoid getting hit, he has no health bar and no visual indication that you’re hurting him by shooting. So you just stand there shooting him for what seems like forever, getting hit, getting replenished, just shooting, wondering if you’re even doing it right. Then he dies. Great fun.
  • And if you run out of ammo you're basically fucked because the whip isn't remotely up to the task as a stand in. It drip feeds you 50 extra shots at a time if you run out of bullets iirc, but the way they're dished out doesn't really help so dying to get the ammo counter back to 1000 is often the only real option.

And if you finish a stage with 10% health you start the next one with 10% health. Even if it's the asteroids bonus level, which has no health display.
  • There's no damage runs on YouTube, lads.
  • I used to be able to clock the snes version back to back, all day. Just sayin.
  • There's a video of someone completing Punch-Out by throwing Maltesers at the buttons. Welcome to Youtube.
  • Earthworm Jim was shit in the 90s
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Doug Tenapel remains shit
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Was disappointed with the remake, the whole thing felt cheap imo.  The original was decent, clearly given a massive shot in the arm by the ERMAHGERD TUXTURE MOPS 3D visuals and quality world building/ace soundtrack, but Zwei was the first game that was genuinely legit.

Really wish Sega had pushed on with remasters like Virtua Racing, this would have been perfect for that.  Might as well have, if you're not going all in on a AAA remake, like they did here.  You're right, it does feel cheap.

Also I don't want to believe that Earthworm Jim is a bit rubbish.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!