Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fanny and Alexander is Bergmann's most approachable work. It's still a superb piece of art. This is the first time I have watched the theatrical cut which, at just over 3hrs, is a couple of hours shorter than the TV mini series version. I've watched the 5hr cut a couple of times over the years and know it quite well.

There are some cut scenes that I missed - some really good ones - but I'd still recommend trying this first if you don't fancy the longer haul. You can always go for that later if you like it.

It's well worth a rewatch - picking up its themes on the nature of reality and how things are interconnected which are woven into the tale which could be taken as dreamlike or fantasy. Many of the main scenes take place in the middle of the night which adds to the dream-like ethereal quality which is enhanced by the spartan but effective soundtrack.

Looking at it again, not many people are all that likable - Alexander - the lead boy certainly has his faults. The silent Fanny is probably the most likable character in the whole film.

The opulance of the Ekdahl family Christmas which takes up a chunk at the start is one of the reasons I watch this at this time of year when I do watch it. Beautifully shot and acted.

It's Swedish so a mild caution about flatulance jokes and some amusing humping scenes.

It's a masterpiece - highly recommended.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 81. Die Hard
    Rickman has never looked better and the last 30 minutes are a masterclass in action and tension. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Click and collect. Steven merchants uk trains planes and automobiles.

Actually rather enjoyable 7/10
    PSN - minkymu
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Warning

Black Mirror style sci fi shorts interlinked by Thomas Jane floating in space. Low budget, great ideas, good performances. Properly underrated.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watching the classic that is Die Hard 2: Die Harder and I’ve spotted a flaw when they set an example with Windsor 114. They chose the airplane with zero fuel yet those wings went up like they were full to the brim.
  • Die Harder is an underrated suffix for a film title. It's a shame there weren't Seagal/Van Damme sequels that embraced the Sometimes They Come Back Again format.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eyes Wide Shut is perhaps a somewhat odd choice for Christmas viewing. I watch this time of year because it's set at Christmas but of course it isn't a Christmas film.

Like Fanny & Alexander, it portrays opulence and many of the key events happen in the middle of the night. There is something about things happening in the quiet of the night that I like (thinking about Margin Call now too). It gets more unsettling with each watch probably because it plays to the shared suspicions about the elite at play.

As expected with Kubrick it's beautifully shot and the recreation of NY in London is impressive. Cruise and Kidman in the lead are superbly supported by a arrange of support players. Marvellous unsettling minimalist soundtrack too - which prompts another comparison to Fanny & Alexander.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Eyes Wide Shut is perhaps a somewhat odd choice for Christmas viewing. I watch this time of year because it's set at Christmas but of course it isn't a Christmas film.

Link Fanny & Alexander, it portrays opulence and many of the key events happen in the middle of the night. There is something about things happening in the quiet of the night that I like (thinking about Margin Call now too). It gets more unsettling with each watch probably because it plays to the shared suspicions about the elite at play.

As expected with Kubrick it's beautifully shot and the recreation of NY in London is impressive. Cruise and Kidman in the lead are superbly supported by a arrange of support players. Marvellous unsettling minimalist soundtrack too - which prompts another comparison to Fanny & Alexander.

It's slowly shifted to high-mid Kubrick for me over the years, great film.

Also yes completely agree that films set at Christmas do not automatically equate to a Christmas film. You all know what I'm talking about.
  • nick_md wrote:
    You all know what I'm talking about.

No, no we do not.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Thankfully, we have Die Hard to turn to for a proper Christmas film.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yippee kay-ay, brother.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Isn't Die Harder set at Christmas too?
  • But Die Hardererest wasn’t.
  • The Sister Act cross-over was though.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Isn't Die Harder set at Christmas too?

It’s more Christmassy too with all the snow.
  • It snowed with a vengeance that year.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Sister Act cross-over was though.
    Spoiler:

Love it :D
  • All caught up. Two festive films deep already!

103. Palm Springs
    Unexpectedly enjoyable, witty and occasionally touching Andy Samberg time loop rom-com sees two wedding guests relive the same occasion again and again, offering a different spin on this well worn formula. 8

104. The Limey
    Watchable Steven Soderbergh revenge flick with Terence Stamp and his mockney accent travelling to America to investigate his daughter's death. 7

105. Bingo Hell
    A film title that promised more but didn't deliver. Elder folk defend their local bingo hall against a demonic new owner. 6

106. Halloween Kills
    An entertaining and bloody fan service sequel of sorts that doesn't progress the story and feels more of a bridge to Ends, but allows Michael Myers to showcase what he does best, killing. 8

107. Muriel's Wedding
    Quirky Australian comedy starring Toni Collette as a misfit young woman who escapes her small town humdrum life in search of something more. 7.5

108. Menace II Society
    Iconic and gritty, early 90s hood drama chronicling an LA youth's descent into hood violence and criminality. 8

109. Class of 1984
    A new teacher in a troubled inner city school becomes embroiled in battling a gang of bad dudes. Interesting 1982 crime thriller. 7.5

110. Knives Out
    Another watch of this well scripted, well acted murder mystery film. Probably still my favourite Daniel Craig performance. 8

111. Hot Fuzz
    Always entertaining Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, buddy cop comedy. Doesn't top SotD for me but a strong film nonetheless. 8

112. There's Something About Mary
    Still entertaining Farrelly brothers rom-com with Ben Stiller, a show stealing Matt Dillon and Cameron Diaz in her prime cutey phase. 8

113. House
    An author inherits his aunt's house after her suicide only to discover the abode's demonic presence in this 80s horror lite comedy that is short on scares. 6

114. The Bronx Warriors (I guerrieri del Bronx)
    Stylish Italian American dystopian action sci-fi which sees a young heiress run away to NY's Bronx, a no man's land battled over by various gangs, and a mercenary's attempts to locate her. 6

115. Skinner
    90s slasher starring Ted Raimi as a skin flaying nutjob and Traci Lords as a junkie prostitute survivor, out for revenge. 6

116. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
    Likeable and heart warming follow up to the hit first film, with no surprises another Greek wedding in it. 7

117. Vamp
    Quirky 1986 vampire film with Grace Jones in hypnotic form. Two chaps venture into the shady part of town in a bid to hire a stripper to impress frat bros. 7

118. Wrath of Man
    Guy Ritchie's most un-Guy Ritchie film ever is a straight up heist action thriller that doesn't really add anything new or stylish to the genre but still remains a worthwhile action flick. The Stath stars as security truck guard with a mysterious past and a mind set on revenge. 7.5

119. No Retreat No Surrender
    Camp and cheesy high kicker with a youthful JCVD and some decent fight choreography. Young lad turns table on bullies and organised crime with the help of Bruce Lee's spirit. Apparently fighting IS the answer. 6.5

120. Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Frighteningly effective festive 1984 slasher sees young Billy's parent slaying at the hands of a Santa dressed maniac PTSD manifest itself in later life, when he is unwittingly made to don the costume. The deer trophy antler impalement scene is a highlight. 7.5

121. Silent Night, Deadly Night 2
    The first movie's events in flashback are leaned on rather too much for the first two thirds, as Billy's asylum incarcerated bro Ricky, escapes to pick up where Billy left off. Picks up in the final third once Ricky gets to killing, including the infamous 'Garbage Day' meme scene. 6
  • Not a glowing review but I need to see Bingo Hell.
  • You might get some enjoyment from it. I had a preconception of what the film would be like due to the title that wasn't met.
  • I'm hoping for Cocoon meets Drag me to Hell via Home Alone.
  • Hmmm, I had On Golden Pond meets From Dusk Till Dawn via Phoenix Nights... I did not get it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just started Krampus and realised I have not seen it and had it confused with Rare Exports. This feels far more mainstream.
  • Aye, caught Krampus in my flick through Netflix and made a mental note to watch before Christmas. I seem to remember watching it years ago...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I wil now watch Bingo Hell. Cheers for the heads up.
  • Oh lord, what have I done...
  • Webbins wrote:
    Hmmm, I had On Golden Pond meets From Dusk Till Dawn via Phoenix Nights... I did not get it.

This sounds even better than I'd hoped.

Edit: wait, that was your wish list. Still gonna watch it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    119. No Retreat No Surrender[/b] Camp and cheesy high kicker with a youthful JCVD and some decent fight choreography. Young lad turns table on bullies and organised crime with the help of Bruce Lee's spirit. Apparently fighting IS the answer. 6.5

Oh man, one of my absolute favourites growing up. A recentish watch made me realise there’s a few absolutely dreadful actors in it but it’s got a great montage sequence and the ‘no retreat, no surrender’ moment at the end still gives me goosebumps.

NRNS2 was a regular watch in those days as well but even then that one was shaky.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Krampus watched. Enjoyed that and going on my regular Christmas list. Got a nice Gremlins feel to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!