Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Too early for Christmas films for me but I’m working my way up with sort of Christmas films.

Knocking out the park with Trading Places absolute timeless classic [10]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trading Places is possibly my best comedy ever. Trying hard to think of something better.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Myman.gif

• 74. Chaos Walking
    Doug Liman directed this sci-fi action adventure that looks like it's suffered at the hands of the studio, because he's a reliable enough director to have made this a better film than it is. Not to say that it's rubbish - I actually quite enjoyed it. Great cast - with Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley and Mads - but it feels rushed and a bit messy, the pacing is all over the place and it actually could've used a bit more time to breathe a little with the interesting concept. 6

75. The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
    This is the first Coen brothers film I've seen in ages and I loved it. Some great little stories, with the title tale and Tom Waites prospector stealing the show - along with the stunning cinematography. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • My dad and I have been to see every Bond movie in the cinema since I was little.
    No Time To Die is the first that we didn't because neither of us felt safe in a crowded cinema.
    Tonight we rented it at home and made a night of it

Wow. What a movie. Did not disappoint

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    French Connection 2

All The President's Men

Two classics that I rewatched this last week because they popped onto TV when I was browsing. Still great. ATPM has a great look to it - those big newsrooms with the typewriters and classy looking CRTs. Sigh.

FC2 ends very abruptly - I suppose that's Friedkin's style. Don't Look Now had a similar feel to it. Hackman. Nothing else need said.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is that the end where he just walks into a room with his gun out and looks around. And that's it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope..
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Might be the first one so. Or else I'm thinking of something else entirely.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Might be the first one so. Or else I'm thinking of something else entirely.

Yeah - it's he first one where he gets away.
  • 116. Spider-man
    Even though I like the Marvels I think this is still my favourite movie version of the character. In the current climate it's nice to watch a superhero film that isn't trying to be anything bigger than a good film on it's own. I still remember how it captured my imagination when it came out. The effects still just hold up too.
    [8]

117. Threads
    Even after multiple people have talked about how upsetting this is I still didn't really expect it to hit me as hard as it did. I mean it's a 4:3 tv movie! It's amazing how effective many of the sequences are, there's some amazing sound design in it. I realised I was feeling quite stressed and upset at multiple points. Probably shouldn't have watched it when I was already feeling a bit under the weather. It is a bit long though, could probably lose the last 20 minutes to text and snippets and not lose the impact of it.

I would be interested to hear the commentary track for this to get an insight into the how and why it was made. Was interesting to see that it was co-funded by one of the big Australian TV stations too which would suggest that it was shown here as well. Will have to ask the rents about it. Anyone have any good articles or videos on this worth reading/watching?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Chasing Ghosts nostalgia doc about the peak of the arcade centering on the kind of famous LIFE magazine picture and the people in it.

While it's fun to watch in places it's also pretty sad. It'e pre Mitchell and Rogers gate and knowing that makes it worse. Left me feeling a bit empty as some of them (Rogers in particular) are pretty much at the bottom - widowed, sleeping on the floor of his sitting room surrounded by consoles and Christmas decorations still up in July. God knows how he is now that his records have been wiped.

Looking at it now, Walter Day's enthusiasm exceeded his abilities. He looks totally out of depth and it's probably why the Twin Galaxies scoreboards are such a shambles. As much as I love that era I know it was short lived. It really couldn't follow up on the pioneering burst of creativity when the genres were still being invented. Once that ended and games started becoming improvements on older games and the tech at home started to improve its days were numbered. A small part of me wonders if it could have gone on to be something if it was managed better on a smaller scale.

Even Robert Mruczek, a TG referee who comes across as level headed and is holding down a real job- turns out he still lives with his mother (that's not a bad thing in itself but he comes across as a basement dweller) and has a very unusual art collection consisting of illustrations of ladies showing their private parts off.....:/

EDIT: Fuck - turns out one of the Berzerk players in it was a nonce. Jesus.

Has me twitching to get back into playing Asteroids properly though.
  • 76. Dredd
    It's a tragedy that there won't be more of these films, because Urban as Dredd is superb and the faithfulness of the vision of MC1 is astounding. I saw this at the cinema and was blown away and every time i watch it I love it even more. 9
  • Dredd was bloody great. I loaned my Blu-Ray copy to someone and never got it back, dammit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a cracker all right. Really felt like the Dredd I imagined back in the late 70s.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think I’m with most people. Simply brilliant film. Not just the authenticity of it but the efficiency of the plot. No back story, no building character (though some of that naturally happens with the rookie) and no lengthy exposition. Just solid action wrapped up in a film that never outstays its welcome. The whole cast were excellent too, which I’m sure made Urban’s job easier.
  • davyK wrote:
    It's a cracker all right. Really felt like the Dredd I imagined back in the late 70s.
    Yeah, that's what I loved about it. All those teenage years reading the comics and arguing with friends over who would be the best Dredd, then this film comes along and fulfills everything I needed from an adaptation.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Always imagined Dredd would have worked with Clint Eastwood in his helmet. Probably the mouth.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jimmy Hill, dubbed with Clint Eastwood's voice.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Be better the other way around.
  • Venom : Let There Be Carnage

Doubling down in the disfunctional buddy dynamic between Eddie Brock and Venom and realising that their relationship is just ripe for comedy was the way to go.
    Lots of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That’s good. I figured it would be some good, dumb fun.
  • It really is.
  • 77. The Vast of Night
    Had no idea what to expect with this and was seriously impressed by it, particularly as it sitting l apparently only cost $700k to make. Great atmosphere, performances and outstanding direction create some really magical moments of tension, excitement and dread. Superb stuff. 9
  • Really enjoyed that but fully loved the first half hour or so, I've watched the opening a few times now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really wanted to like it but honestly I found it deathly dull for the most part.
  • So apparently Nic Cage has been cast as Dracula in the film Renfield.

Im not sure what to think about this.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Exciting
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bees.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!