Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    American Gangster Another one I missed. It's Washington and Crowe. What's not to like? And when you have the likes of Brolin and Golding Jr in support you know it's going to be good.

And it is. Ridley Scott is in form and it's a rollicking tale of true life drug man Frank Lucas. This is great stuff. Hard to think of someone better than Denzel at this time. Love him. Recommended.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nevermind.
    GT: Knight640
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't Look Now Never saw this all the way through before. What a deeply unsettling film. It generates a real sense of weirdness, paranoia and doom. The leads are great of course. Hard to categorise this film and it has aspects of many genres which of course adds to its quality. An extremely fine film and well worth seeing if you haven't already.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And the best WHAT THE FUCK moment ever.
  • Didn't expect that score for Eternals Shabbo. It's been getting a panning and everyone is talking about it killing the whole MCU thing. Glad it's still a good watch despite all that

Helps to go see it on the biggest fuck-off screen you can find.

I haven't read any of the bad reviews but I can see why some my not get on with it but I can't see how it could be hated or thought to be the "end of Marvel". It has some story flow flaws and, yeah, it has some talking expositional moments that feel inelegant but I liked the characters and the slower pace of it. Are the Marvel fanboys upset that not every scene has people punching each other? I'm so glad they've been willing to hand some of these films to people that have unique filmmaking visions and let them actually make something that feels like it is by them. I hope there's more like this one.
  • 109. Christine
    Imagine making a movie about a demon car and it being great. Carpenter knocks it out of the park. Except maybe knowing how to wrap it up smoothly, it's a little clunky how it gets to the final sequence even though that bit is great.
    [8]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    And the best WHAT THE FUCK moment ever.

Heh. Aye. My take is
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'll probably wind up streaming it like I do most things these days. I'd planned to go to the cinema for Dune but that didn't pan out, I've not seen that yet just in case I can get out to watch it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd try and see it in cinema if at all possible.

Into day 3 of isolation now so watching some things I wouldn't normally go for. Fantasia 2000 is an update of the original and is far more accessible. It's all new apart from the inclusion of the Sorcerer's Apprentice Sequence.

Watching this you really see how Disney's animators have taken this to an art form. The amount of imagination and the sheer number of things going on makes you realise the corners everyone else cuts.

The best sequence for me is one set to Rhapsody in Blue and is a comment on modern life presented with superb levels of charm, panache, style and imagination. 

The whole thing clocks in at just over an hour and if you like animation it's worth finding the time to see this - even if it is in segments.
  • 72. The Hunt
    Blumhouse hunting humans for sport horror comedy. Better than I expected, although it somehow manages to be both endearingly completely aware of itself bit also really smug about it's politics. At times it's incredibly blunt and obvious, with some really clunky woke stuff in it with is total eye-rolling nonsense. But then someone explodes and it gets fun again. Having watched The Leftovers recently, I'm astonished that Lindelof wrote such terrible dialogue. Saved by the central performance of the 'heroine', who deserves her own character spin off. 6
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'll probably wind up streaming it like I do most things these days. I'd planned to go to the cinema for Dune but that didn't pan out, I've not seen that yet just in case I can get out to watch it

It’s worth it!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Predators A load of hogwash but had some enjoyable sequences in places.  But not really worth putting up with rest of stupidity.  I very nearly abandoned this early on. But I'm stuck inside with COVID.....

The basic idea wasn't bad but it needed a bit more thought. It got better in the second half and it could have been very good but it isn't. Seems the original still can't be topped.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Monument Men is the true story of a group of experts made soldiers at the end of WW2 to find and retrieve art treasures. 5 million pieces were found and 100 tons of gold bullion.

It starts off feeling a bit like a middle-aged Kelly's Heroes but it's far more than that. The ensemble cast - starring Clooney & Damon accompanied by Bill Murray, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett, Hugh Bonneville and Bob Balaban gave me another reason to expect a caper film. 

But it isn't. It has a general tone and some moments of light heartedness but it also shines a light on the horrors of war and the scope of the greed, gangsterism and blinkered vision of the Fuhrer and his Reich.

Well worth checking this one out.
  • Aye, it’s an overlooked gem that film.
  • I'd given that a miss as I thought it might be a bit Patriot Boomers Solve the Case.
    Will give it a go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I chose it because of the cast. John Goodman. :)  But I'm glad I watched it.  It poses the question "Is a life worth some piece of art?".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    12/11
    Threads Remastered. Watched this with the director's commentary which makes for really interesting viewing. The film itself is still a horrific spectacle but it's superbly crafted and the director's insights really add value to the special edition DVD it comes on.  I'd advise anyone considering watching this to be wary. Once it kicks off it becomes relentless  - I don't think anyone would have the balls to make this today.

My Cousin Vinny Watched this so I could go to bed in good mood. Hadn't seen it before but was aware of it. Great fun overall and reading about it afterwards I learned that it was praised at the time for its courtroom accuracy with respect to procedure and tactics. Great leads and you can't go wrong with Fred Gwynne as the judge.

13/11
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 Haven't seen this since I bought the DVD SE in 2003. Goodness me this has aged well - it's better than I remember it. What impresses most is the camera work. Some gorgeous sky shots and lots of nice transitions going on. Gunnar Hansen was an inspired casting decision - it's hard to imagine someone else with that physicality and controlled brutality together with his mobility and door filling presence. Great stuff.  This must have been mind boggling 45 years ago in the cinema.
  • Oh man I love everything about My Cousin Vinny.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Chainsaw really is still fantastic. I feel like the opening credits really influenced a lot of movies after like Seven. Were there many other films at the time that opened their films like that or was it still in the post-Hitchcock Saul Bass era
  • Shang-Chi
    Best Marvel film for a while because it’s big dumb fun. Harks back to some of the gleeful joy the first Iron Man and Guardians films had.
  • Also because time, effort and genuine thought was put into the fight choreography. Makes a big difference from the usual 'people flailing at each other whilst the camera goes shoom shoom' stuff in most big budget action.

It made me want to re-watch some classic Jackie Chan. Been a while since I watched the oldies. What's the best entry point especially for showing to my gf? Armour of God? Police Story?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Made me want to watch Crouching Tiger again, especially when Michelle Yeoh popped up
  • Also because time, effort and genuine thought was put into the fight choreography. Makes a big difference from the usual 'people flailing at each other whilst the camera goes shoom shoom' stuff in most big budget action.

It made me want to re-watch some classic Jackie Chan. Been a while since I watched the oldies. What's the best entry point especially for showing to my gf? Armour of God? Police Story?

Police Story is excellent but for me Rumble In The Bronx is very accessible and fun with some excellent choreography
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • My usual reminder that Jackie Chan is an absolute **** although I enjoy the artistic works of many ****s so don't think I'm saying you can't also, just spreading the knowledge so you can make an informed decision.
  • Everyone's a bit of cunt.

• I bet Jackie Chan only has one N64.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I bet Jackie Chan only has one N64.

LOL
  • Gah, I feel unbelievably seen.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Gah, I feel unbelievably seen.

I see you there ;)
    RIP Brad Allan. Absolute don of a stuntman, core JC stunt team member alum. “Gorgeous” isn’t a very good Jackie film, but the fight between JC and Brad is cracking.
    Classic 80s: Police Story, Wheels on Meals, Project A pt1
    Family-friendly 90s Jackie in Canada: First Strike (must for the ladder scene), Rumble in the Bronx, Mr Nice Guy

Old school/nu skool double bill that bridges decades: Drunken Master 1 then 2

If you like the peak 80s stuff and click with the Chinese sense of humour, the Lucky Stars films are great, have cracking ensemble cast, great fights and stunts, and Yuen Biao is a legend (nice to see him working again recently)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!