Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • g.man wrote:
    Inferno was absolute nonsense, but just about got away with it in the brainless hokum stakes. Whatever you do though, for the love of God, if you haven't already seen it, don't waste your time with the third in the series, Angels & Demons, which is staggeringly bad.

Is that the one with the skydiving priests?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yup.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You have to admire the audacity though. Go long or go home.  :)   I'd like to see a piss take version done.

I think I remember that bit in the film veering away from the book which was far fetched enough as it was.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Report stars Adam Driver and the dependable and rather splendid Annette Bening and tells the tale of the struggle to get a report exposing the ineffective and inhuman CIA torture programme post 9/11 published.

Solid, effective treatment and a great support cast. Worth a watch.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well I thought Dune was pretty great
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I enjoyed it but I think it's also very forgettable. There's nothing about it that stays in my mind. It's not bad at all, just kind of empty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it's definitely slow moving in terms of plot, but cinematography and sound were top tier, and I like flashforward stuff etc, intrigue & prophecies etc. I think having do few cinema trips these days definitely helped it stand out for me...
  • Kow wrote:
    I enjoyed it but I think it's also very forgettable. There's nothing about it that stays in my mind. It's not bad at all, just kind of empty.
    Yeah this is it really.
    Straight after I thought it was ok but potentially a part one of something great.

A couple of weeks on and I cant remember anything about it. Something about spice and Spiderman's gf having blue eyes. Aquaman got got. A fat guy had a bath in olive oil and balsamic. Star Wars man had a chat.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I still believe the film is good but only for those who have read the book.  I know that isn't universal - I don't think elf liked it for example; but I still think generally that is the case.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have read (and really enjoyed) the book, fwiw.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Though long enough so I've forgotten almost everything about it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Falklands Play tells the story of the political machinations around The Falklands Conflict. Patricia Hodge in an admirable turn as Mrs. T aided by a fine supporting cast. I was 16 when this happened and remember following events on TV and I can remember the cabinet members too. So it's kind of fun spotting the characters of the day. Enjoyable for someone of my age and perhaps an insight to post Thatcher folk who didn't see her in action.
  • 106. The Death of Stalin
    I'm always so impressed at Armando and his writing team for how they can write something so dense and sharp. Can they picture the witty flow of conversation as they write it? Excellent
    [9]
  • davyK wrote:
    Enjoyable for someone of my age and perhaps an insight to post Thatcher folk who didn't see her in action.

Just don't mention the Belgrano eh?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. It actually addresses that decision in some detail.
  • 70. In The Loop
    Hadn't seen this for ages and it's still absolutely one of the best British comedies of the 21st century. Malcolm Tucker really is one of the great creations and there's been enough distance between him and Capaldi in the intervening years that it's still quite shocking how brutal he is. The whole cast are amazing on both sides of the pond.
    You know, I've come across a lot of psychos, but none as fucking boring as you! I mean, you are a real boring fuck! Sorry, I know you disapprove of the swearing, so I'll sort that. You are a boring F-star-star-CUNT.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Saint Maud - it was alright. Ending was telegraphed for a while but I enjoyed the core performances.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those films I kept meaning to see but never got around to until tonight. What a wonderful flight of fancy this is, woven into a tale of sadness. I can see what all the fuss was about. Beautifully made and performed as well.  A beautiful film all round in fact.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    A timeless classic. I love everything about it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those films I kept meaning to see but never got around to until tonight. What a wonderful flight of fancy this is, woven into a tale of sadness. I can see what all the fuss was about. Beautifully made and performed as well.  A beautiful film all round in fact.

Please watch The Orphanage as well. Its stunning

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Saint Maud - it was alright. Ending was telegraphed for a while but I enjoyed the core performances.

I think you'd enjoy Censor more, of a similarish vein.
  • Army of Thieves
    A Zack Snyder movie I didn’t hate. That’s a surprise. It’s stupid, but it’s not offensive.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

I think you'd enjoy Censor more, of a similarish vein.

Will give it a look once it comes out on the free streaming services. Horrors/chillers aren’t my usual cuppa but there a few that I like to watch now and again.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I managed to miss both Saint Maud and Censor at the cinema due to family get togethers, but caught them both on streaming... I much preferred Saint Maud although wouldn't particularly rave about it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Black Mass.  Excellent bio flick about the deal the FBI made with the Boston-Irish hood Jimmy "Whitey" Bulger played by Johnny Depp who really shows his chops; albeit in slightly iffy makeup.

Great support cast and a great script with good pacing. Hard to fault. I remember the story of the IRA gun running boat that was intercepted in the 80s. I hadn't realised Bulger was the US end. Worth a watch.
  • 71. The Invisible Man (2020)
    Not particularly scary, but very tense and effective update of the classic story. Elizabeth Moss, as usual, completely carries the film and is outstanding as the victim of an abusive partner and tech genius whom she flees and who then takes her life apart piece by piece using a state of the art optical projection gimp suit. The special effects are subtle, but really effective, and there's some truly brutal killing along the way. Really enjoyed it. 8
  • I really liked that too. I think Whannel did a great job using all that empty screen space. Pretty sure he shot it like you would do if there was meant to be someone standing there at times.
    Spoiler:
  • 107. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    For some reason I thought this was a proper splatter film like Braindead so I was kind of surprised when it turned out to be a... kids horror??? It's a pretty bad film really but those costumes and designs are what carries it, they really are creepy.

108. Eternals
    I'm sorry but I loved it. It's flawed AF but man it really goes for it. It's amazing how much of a difference real locations makes too, there's absolutely stunning and real effort shots in here. Score is for enjoyment and not film quality. Kumail Nanjiani was excellent.
    [9]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Didn't expect that score for Eternals Shabbo. It's been getting a panning and everyone is talking about it killing the whole MCU thing. Glad it's still a good watch despite all that
  • I really liked that too. I think Whannel did a great job using all that empty screen space. Pretty sure he shot it like you would do if there was meant to be someone standing there at times.
    Spoiler:

Yeah, me too. That was the point at which the while film stepped up a level , and
    Spoiler:
    Is superb

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!