Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • The scariest thing about Michael Myers in the OG film is how utterly inhuman the performance is. He's like a fucking robot.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Death of Stalin is one of the best works of satire/comedy I have seen in years. The Thick of It meets Brazil, meets The Office.

Superb stuff and a brilliant cast. Recommended.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah great movie that.
    Its a perfect mix of political satire with slapstick silliness.
    Jason Isaacs being a highlight.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On iPlayer at the minute.
  • Will have to give it another watch this week I think then.
  • It's fantastic. So brilliantly written and directed
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ooh I need to watch that again. Great stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    I got more excited to see Halloween Kills when I heard Jim Cummings was in it. Webbins knows who I'm talking about. Been meaning to watch his werewolf movie for a while plus he has a new one out called the beta test which sounds interesting
    You might be disappointed, his part is minor. Thunder Road though, great film.

Probably the best sequence for me.

105. Halloween Kills
    Made it a double feature with Antlers and it was nice to watch something that was competent. Not sure I bought the whole mob thing and I can't help but feel that Michael shouldn't really revel in the pain of his kills which seemed more for the gorehound audience than to aid in the film. I need to rewatch the original but I feel he just 'got the job done'. Some more stupid decision moments in this but Antlers also made them feel less egregious.
    [5]

Could be maybe a 6 even, not that it really matters. I enjoyed it enough. Had the whole cinema to myself too so that was awesome. Soundtrack was the best bit of the movie by far though.

Ah sorry I misread re: Cummings. I thought you'd not seen HK yet.

Regarding the revelling in his kills, I dunno, the kill in OG Halloween where he sticks the guy and tilts his head is an appreciation of his work.
    Spoiler:
    Loved that sequence btw!

I'd give it an 8 as I said, some flaws grated but I want to watch again.

I was thinking about it again later and remembered the line about him being a 6 year old in a grown mans body. And I can see how you could turn childlike fascination into brutality. For me it was more how he was posing the bodies after they died and things like that. Minor quibble really but I never saw him as the baddy who purposefully created scenes for those that would come later, more that he is a force of evil that leaves a trail of carnage in his wake.

I still think they're solid movies and better than most at reviving and recreating the feel of the originals. Will be interested to see how they wrap it up
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ooh I need to watch that again. Great stuff.

Was gonna be one of my next watches too!
  • Kow wrote:
    Sorry didn't realise that was too obscure an Aussie-ism. But yes, means it's proper grouse. 

Does that mean it's shite or good?

Sorry didn't realise that was too obscure an Aussie-ism. But yes, means it's bonza

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, it's shite. I see.
  • I think I'm gonna have to go back and watch the Carpenter films in order now.
  • Probably just watch the first film and then stop there.
  • Dunno, I'd probably skip Dark Star altogether.
  • I've never seen it tbh.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dark Star is terrible
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dark Star is wonderful. I remember stumbling across it when I was a kid at home. My Dad and I watched it together. Usual BBC2 thing - back when it was a channel worth the watching.

Loved the concept, the comedy and the ideas. My Dad was fascinated by the idea of computers having an argument.

Despite the low budget (it's a glorified student project) it embues the feeling of remoteness and isolation superbly, and the world in which the film exists is convincing. It's a work of raw talent with Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon. The Carpenter penned electronic soundtrack adds to the atmosphere.

An early example of a "lived in" future that Lucas would adapt. The warp drive effects set the template for that in future films. The pet alien subplot was developed into Alien. 

I have it on DVD and it's a keeper for me. :)   

Maybe I love it because I saw it at the right time. Maybe it's because it's a nice memory of sharing it with my Dad. Doesn't matter.
  • Yeah, I'm with Davy. Saw it back in the day and practically fell off my chair laughing, though I'm prepared to concede that it may not have aged well at all, and is unlikely to elicit the same response nowadays.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • It’s no Silent Running, that’s for sure.
  • I’ve got a soft-spot for shonk, student films, outsider art etc. as I’m a fan of people just getting up off their arse and making stuff. I guess that’s tempered by “if they then go on to make stuff I like”, as I don’t just watch any old shite - so in that respect it’s more of an appreciation of an early talent (Dark Star, Evil Dead 1, Bad Taste etc) that will develop, so you can have fun spotting nascent ideas etc

Always got respect for creators though, even if the output isn’t something I personally like.
  • Kinda the same with the old Harryhausen stop motion, model shop practical spaceships etc - in the current age of photorealistic CGI you’ve lost that need for suspension of disbelief and filling in the gaps with your imagination. Probably helps if you read sci-fi/fantasy books and have some practise at fleshing out worlds in your imagination.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope - it isn't Silent Running. Which is even more stunning given its age. But I saw them around the same time so I group them together even though they are quite different.

Dark Star was a bolt from the blue. There was 2001 and then there was the usual B-move stuff. Then this came along with a sense of humour and a world as believable , maybe more so, than Kubrick's stylised view or that in Silent Running.  I probably didn't see it until late 70s on TV - but I remember seeing it before Star Wars in the cinema. But I could be all mixed up. That's when 2000AD appeared too. TV started showing other stuff like Soylent Green etc. It's all in one big pot in my mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No Time to Die is perfectly fine by me. The time went by pretty quickly and seeing plenty of Ralph Fiennes helps. The new 00 agent was good, but I liked Paloma better - I could see her holding her own in a film as well.

Seemed to be a fan service film to wrap this era up with the OHMSS references, The Aston doing its thing and even a tribute to the gunsight view of Bond in a tunnel in the factory near the end. Nice little scene with Woltz too. Any film will always benefit from having him in it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Inferno Another dose of hokum and hogwash from Dan Brown in film form. Hanks' watchability and the general slickness probably explains why these still get made (it made 3 times its budget worldwide apparently - so there's that too!)

It's the usual running around from puzzle to puzzle , looking at nice paintings and sculptures in glorious settings and you gradually find out who the baddies are. Pretty forgettable but its 2hr run went in quickly enough. It's telephoned in though. Run-of-the-mill,  but it means you won't have to read the book. :)
  • Inferno was absolute nonsense, but just about got away with it in the brainless hokum stakes. Whatever you do though, for the love of God, if you haven't already seen it, don't waste your time with the third in the series, Angels & Demons, which is staggeringly bad.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think I saw that .... was Ewan McGregor a priest in it? Pretty sure I read the book on a sun lounger...grim. The book was a page turner though.
  • djchump wrote:
    I think I'm gonna have to go back and watch the Carpenter films in order now.

Surprised g didn't post these

They were the reason I watched Big Trouble and reminded me I still haven't watched Christine
  • Yeah, those are an enjoyable romp through his catalogue.
  • davyK wrote:
    I think I saw that .... was Ewan McGregor a priest in it? Pretty sure I read the book on a sun lounger...grim. The book was a page turner though.
    That’s the one! Absolute dumpster fire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!