Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas - his easy top 3. The Departed and Shutter Island are good too. No Irishman in my top 5 Scorseses.

I'd throw Cape Fear in there too.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    V for Vendetta Not a bad film at all. Quite enjoyed it. Maybe if I'd read the graphic novel I'd feel different, but I haven't, so there we are.

For me, Natalie Portman is the most gorgeous woman on the planet. There I've said it. She just happens to be a splendid actress. But a fine cast in support makes it too. Watching it today, it strikes more of a chord than it might have done when it came out - but then that suspicion of government will always be topical sadly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cruella
    Pleasantly anarchic Disney villain origin story with a frankly outstanding soundtrack. Daft, but charismatic. Emmas Stone & Thompson seem to be having marvellous fun in their roles.
  • 102. Big Trouble in Little China
    First watch for me. What a weird, silly, unique film this is. Really wish I'd watched it as a kid at the height of my Indiana Jones interest as I imagine it would have fit well alongside it. Considering how shlocky it is and how clunky some of the stuff is presented it probably shouldn't work but it really does. I think because it knows what it's doing.
    [doesn't need a score]
  • Big Trouble is GOD TIER stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is indeed. Top stuff. And a young Kim Catrall is a bonus.
  • davyK wrote:
    It is indeed. Top stuff. And a young Kim Catrall is a bonus.

Phwoar
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'll take any age Kim Catrall if I'm honest.
  • Love how Carpenter inverted so many white western action hero tropes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Which one of her songs did that?
  • Maleficent
    Jolie chews the scenery quite well in this live-action fairytale. Better than Stardust, despite its simplicity.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Better that Stardust?!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's not. It's quite boring, but looks pretty enough.
  • For context, I thought Stardust was massively overrated.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just back from cinema where we watched Halloween Kills which is what you think it would be - a selection of gory deaths fitted into a nonsensical script. But it's fine for a Halloween night and at 100mins goes by quickly.

It actually almost becomes a pretty good film in places - there's a mob scene that strikes a chord in these chaotic times. But it is what it is. There's a sequel for next year (surprise, surprise) and we will probably go and see it on Halloween night. :)
  • I got more excited to see Halloween Kills when I heard Jim Cummings was in it. Webbins knows who I'm talking about. Been meaning to watch his werewolf movie for a while plus he has a new one out called the beta test which sounds interesting
  • djchump wrote:
    Love how Carpenter inverted so many white western action hero tropes.

Can't imagine many of those Asian American actors got to act in their natural accent in many other movies back then.
    The lipstick bit and the yeehaw gun firing in the air gave me some solid chuckles
  • davyK wrote:
    Just back from cinema where we watched Halloween Kills which is what you think it would be - a selection of gory deaths fitted into a nonsensical script. But it's fine for a Halloween night and at 100mins goes by quickly.

It actually almost becomes a pretty good film in places - there's a mob scene that strikes a chord in these chaotic times. But it is what it is. There's a sequel for next year (surprise, surprise) and we will probably go and see it on Halloween night. :)

My sister and I saw it Saturday. I enjoyed it, loved the kills and stylistically I thought it was strong. Flawed no doubt, I felt it served purely as a bridge to next year's Ends but I left the cinema wanting to watch it again. Michael is still cool as fuck and I think David Gordon Green has retained the core of the character, tried to extend certain traits without jumping the shark.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I got more excited to see Halloween Kills when I heard Jim Cummings was in it. Webbins knows who I'm talking about. Been meaning to watch his werewolf movie for a while plus he has a new one out called the beta test which sounds interesting

You might be disappointed, his part is minor. Thunder Road though, great film.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Just back from cinema where we watched Halloween Kills which is what you think it would be - a selection of gory deaths fitted into a nonsensical script. But it's fine for a Halloween night and at 100mins goes by quickly. It actually almost becomes a pretty good film in places - there's a mob scene that strikes a chord in these chaotic times. But it is what it is. There's a sequel for next year (surprise, surprise) and we will probably go and see it on Halloween night. :)
    My sister and I saw it Saturday. I enjoyed it, loved the kills and stylistically I thought it was strong. Flawed no doubt, I felt it served purely as a bridge to next year's Ends but I left the cinema wanting to watch it again. Michael is still cool as fuck and I think David Gordon Green has retained the core of the character, tried to extend certain traits without jumping the shark.
    Thinking about it now that whole crowd/mob aspect of the film was an interesting idea. The film felt a bit all over the place in the first 20mins or so but once it settled down it got better. I'm not really a fan of the slasher genre (I've only ever watched the original in this series for example) but it was enjoyable.

What surprised me is that it passed the next morning test. I find if a film pops into my head the next day it means it was of some merit.
  • I really enjoyed Halloween Kills, it was a right laugh. Felt like the middle section of a trilogy in which everything goes a bit bat shit mental and the bad guys get their fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Webbins wrote:
    I got more excited to see Halloween Kills when I heard Jim Cummings was in it. Webbins knows who I'm talking about. Been meaning to watch his werewolf movie for a while plus he has a new one out called the beta test which sounds interesting

Probably the best sequence for me.

103. Jaws
    Not much to say really. Still not topped in a lot of areas. I love how it proves the direction doesn't have to be quick cut or shaky to be exciting and scary (the Pond sequence is still an all-timer for me) and it shows that you gotta spend time making your characters have some depth.
    [10]

104. Antlers
    Hooooooboy was this a stinker. Sometimes a drama directors comes to horror and adds a nice layer of humanity to a spook piece and sometimes a non-horror director tries to make a horror and has no idea what makes horror work. You also can't get away with people making stupid decisions anymore, call the police before you go into the creepy death house plz. Please just watch The Ritual instead for something similar about dealing with trauma. Points only for creature.
    [2]

105. Halloween Kills
    Made it a double feature with Antlers and it was nice to watch something that was competent. Not sure I bought the whole mob thing and I can't help but feel that Michael shouldn't really revel in the pain of his kills which seemed more for the gorehound audience than to aid in the film. I need to rewatch the original but I feel he just 'got the job done'. Some more stupid decision moments in this but Antlers also made them feel less egregious.
    [5]

Could be maybe a 6 even, not that it really matters. I enjoyed it enough. Had the whole cinema to myself too so that was awesome. Soundtrack was the best bit of the movie by far though.

The 4K blu-ray of Jaws is shmick btw. They do an amazing job doing up these old films. Bought T2 as well and from the short snippet I watched it looks insanely crisp but without ruining the look of the film.
  • I was channel-hopping the other night and came across the last twenty minutes of Carpenter's OG Halloween. 40-odd years later, and fuck me, it's still an absolute masterclass in tension. The direction, the cinematography, the music, it really does knock it out the park.
  • @Shabby shmick is a good thing? I’ll have to grab it if so.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sorry didn't realise that was too obscure an Aussie-ism. But yes, means it's proper grouse.

Looks like it has some good feature on it too including detailing the restoration.

Seems after doing a 4k restoration of Alien they are doing the other 3 and releasing a 4k boxset next year. Because I'm silly I didn't get the full anthology boxset they released on Blu-ray with all the special features and now it's hard to find here in Aus I'm hoping they release a complete set with the 4k including those old features as I've never seen them.

Not holding my breath though as it seems standard to not include old special features on a lot of new 4k releases. Perhaps to cut licensing costs or because they assume people already have the old sets.

The "ultimate" middle earth edition just released is a good showcase for that. Expensive as heck but without all the appendices.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I was channel-hopping the other night and came across the last twenty minutes of Carpenter's OG Halloween. 40-odd years later, and fuck me, it's still an absolute masterclass in tension. The direction, the cinematography, the music, it really does knock it out the park.

It's a classic OK. It takes a while to get going perhaps but I consider it a keeper - one of the few I have on BluRay.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sorry didn't realise that was too obscure an Aussie-ism. But yes, means it's proper grouse. 

Does that mean it's shite or good?
  • davyK wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I was channel-hopping the other night and came across the last twenty minutes of Carpenter's OG Halloween. 40-odd years later, and fuck me, it's still an absolute masterclass in tension. The direction, the cinematography, the music, it really does knock it out the park.
    It's a classic OK. It takes a while to get going perhaps but I consider it a keeper - one of the few I have on BluRay.
    The score really was a work of absolute genius.
  • Webbins wrote:
    I got more excited to see Halloween Kills when I heard Jim Cummings was in it. Webbins knows who I'm talking about. Been meaning to watch his werewolf movie for a while plus he has a new one out called the beta test which sounds interesting

Probably the best sequence for me.

105. Halloween Kills
    Made it a double feature with Antlers and it was nice to watch something that was competent. Not sure I bought the whole mob thing and I can't help but feel that Michael shouldn't really revel in the pain of his kills which seemed more for the gorehound audience than to aid in the film. I need to rewatch the original but I feel he just 'got the job done'. Some more stupid decision moments in this but Antlers also made them feel less egregious.
    [5]

Could be maybe a 6 even, not that it really matters. I enjoyed it enough. Had the whole cinema to myself too so that was awesome. Soundtrack was the best bit of the movie by far though.

Ah sorry I misread re: Cummings. I thought you'd not seen HK yet.

Regarding the revelling in his kills, I dunno, the kill in OG Halloween where he sticks the guy and tilts his head is an appreciation of his work.
    Spoiler:
    Loved that sequence btw!

I'd give it an 8 as I said, some flaws grated but I want to watch again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!