Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • There is a fourth coming isnt there?
    How do you pull off leather trenchcoats in 2021/2?
  • Kow wrote:
    Yeah, the original is also shit so the sequels really had to work hard to be so bad.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought the sequels were OK. But there's only so many super fights you can watch which was the sequels' basic problem.

I'd be interested in seeing a prequel though which would be a very different proposition.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The first was a lot better than I was expecting when I got to the cinema. Didn't make it to the end of the second one and didn't bother with the third.

I'm far more receptive to shit films these days so I expect I'd enjoy them now.
  • A prequel could be interesting yeah but probably wouldn't be 'Matrix' enough for a studio to fund it and remain interesting.
  • Kow wrote:
    I've said it many a time but I'll say it again - The Matrix sequels are the worst sequels ever made.

They were shockingly bad but I still think Highlander 2 edges it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think Matrix 2 is a good wee curio. 3 might be the worst.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I think Matrix 2 is a good wee curio. 3 might be the worst.

This is what I thought watching em again. They could have saved things but really shit the bed with 3.

• TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Just watched The Matrix after many years since the last viewing and I loved it.  Certainly going to give the two sequels a pop before the 4th instalment releases later in the year.

Suspect I'll have to track down the Animatrix too; man, that was a fab film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The first Matrix is still a great film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not sure it is. Right before I moved up to Guidance, I taught the matrix as part of millennium film and the kids buckled themselves at it. This was 2014
  • The matrix is clever in lots of small details.

For instance when they first interview Neo, agent smith takes a large file that is tied with string around a central button style clasp, slowly unwinding it like a computer accessing a hard drive…
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Matrix is shit. Animatrix was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah I was thinking when watching the other day that the youth watching The Matrix for the first time would probably find it a bit naff.
    Thats partially due to the cultural impact it had, partly because its 'cool' was very much of the time.

The idea of being logged into a constructed digital environment has gone from high concept to reality, especially during the pandemic.

Its an important film particularly in the world of vfx but I dont think it has aged well.
  • But bullet time?

The lobby scene? The helicopter? The fights.

I had never seen anything like it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Objectively it’s still a solid action film for me. It all makes sense in its own universe and yes we hadn’t seen anything like it before. Couldn’t give a shit what kids think about it.
  • I always felt that The Matrix was a little late with what it perceived as cool.  Kinda what a 37 year old thinks will be cool, rather than actually being urgent and contemporary.  I found quite a bit of it a little excruciating at the time and i don’t think the years will have been kind.  Some rotten performances (the two fucking leads, FFS!), the bullet time, the student stoner vibe of the whole fucking exposition scenes!  God, I’m cringing just thinking about some of it.

Kinda memorable though i guess, and a bit zeitgeist-y.
  • Bet you took the Blue Pill didn't yah?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm pretty sure Alex Jones wrote the script.
  • I always felt that The Matrix was a little late with what it perceived as cool.  Kinda what a 37 year old thinks will be cool, rather than actually being urgent and contemporary.  I found quite a bit of it a little excruciating at the time and i don’t think the years will have been kind.  Some rotten performances (the two fucking leads, FFS!), the bullet time, the student stoner vibe of the whole fucking exposition scenes!  God, I’m cringing just thinking about some of it. Kinda memorable though i guess, and a bit zeitgeist-y.

It seemed pretty cool to me and the other ~14 year olds I knew at the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Ronin last night. Like Heat, this was one I missed and I have no idea why. A great old fashioned romp with a stellar cast. Highly enjoyable.
  • Aye, that's a brilliant movie.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Irish accents are even serviceable. McElhone does have her Irish mother to draw upon and Pryce makes a decent stab at it. There aren't any long dialogues which would show the cracks and that helps. At times the accents are very good indeed.
  • I enjoyed Ronin. It even manages to squeeze a Volkswagen Corrado into the chase sequence so gets a few bonus points from me.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I always felt that The Matrix was a little late with what it perceived as cool.  Kinda what a 37 year old thinks will be cool, rather than actually being urgent and contemporary.  I found quite a bit of it a little excruciating at the time and i don’t think the years will have been kind.  Some rotten performances (the two fucking leads, FFS!), the bullet time, the student stoner vibe of the whole fucking exposition scenes!  God, I’m cringing just thinking about some of it. Kinda memorable though i guess, and a bit zeitgeist-y.

It seemed pretty cool to me and the other ~14 year olds I knew at the time.

Exactly this for me. Was the first film I ever saw multiple times at the cinema. Not sure I have any need to revisit it now though. I imagine kids today think it's quite quaint in comparison to the VFX spectacle films of now. The lobby scene still rocks though.
  • davyK wrote:
    Watched Ronin last night. Like Heat, this was one I missed and I have no idea why. A great old fashioned romp with a stellar cast. Highly enjoyable.
    watch the making of. How they filmed the car chases is mental.

PSN - minkymu
  • Escape from Pretoria
    Could have used a little more context building, being a true story, but this is a tight little prison break thriller. Daniel Radcliffe manages to carry it and the tension’s palpable. Not bad.
  • 74. Love and Monsters
    Really enjoyed this. The first half is better than the second half but it's a fun story with some cool monster design and effects and just enough character work to keep you interested. Pretty much the perfect version of this kind of movie.
    [7]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep really enjoyed it... and it doesn't outstay it's welcome. A lot of directors could learn a thing or two about efficient editing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!