Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh God yes, moistness
  • I'm pretty sure there have been some big budget and lower Netflix style stuff with black leads Shabby, maybe you just missed them? Can't say that seeing a black lead strikes me as an interesting/exciting creative choice either. I couldn't give a flying fuck as long as they do a decent job and the film entertains

Possibly have missed those ones. 
    I guess it's more your last line that makes the point a bit more. You and I have the luxury of saying "ah whatever, I'll enjoy it no matter what" but for me after seeing the reactions of people coming out of films like Black Panther and Spiderverse it made me really see how important it is for people who haven't been represented as much in these sorts of films finally get that representation. Doesn't mean there can't be film with the typical white protaganists but when their ethnicity doesn't play into the film at all, like in Tomorrow War, then why not allow some different people to see themselves up on the big screen saving the world as well as giving actors that have had less opportunity in the big budgets until recently a chance too. 
    If that's "woke" then I guess I am?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. When you mentioned Tomorrow War there I had to think who was black in that. I tend not to notice unless its a book character I have as white in my mind's eye.. say Roland from Dark Tower and Idris Elba.  I didn't watch that because I heard it was shit , not because of Idris. He could have done a good of it in a good film, albeit with the nature of the Sussanah r'ship being dropped.

Though.......re Tomorrow War...is having a black comic relief character becoming a thing?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Enjoyed this. Leo and Brad are great in it. And how Pitt keeps that washboard at his age...deserves an oscar for that alone.

There is something gratifying about that final sequence that is hard to explain, just as the cinema sequence in Basterds is. And there's a nod to it in Hollywood. Being able to strike out at cunts from the past mines something in my psyche at least.

Not as punchy and snappy as a Q film but still excellent. This alternate universe genre is very enjoyable. Will be a shame when Q makes his 10th.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Hateful Eight

What a ride this is. Enjoyed it.  Lots of Qs pals get to play together.
  • davyK wrote:
    Heh. When you mentioned Tomorrow War there I had to think who was black in that. I tend not to notice unless its a book character I have as white in my mind's eye.. say Roland from Dark Tower and Idris Elba.  I didn't watch that because I heard it was shit , not because of Idris. He could have done a good of it in a good film, albeit with the nature of the Sussanah r'ship being dropped.

Though.......re Tomorrow War...is having a black comic relief character becoming a thing?

I think it's always been the "thing". Representation through side characters. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Dark Tower was indeed shit. Like the fact that they hired two actors that were perfect for the roles but then put them in the wrong roles. And that is an instance where having Roland be white is kind of a necessity if you want to tell the story of the book as it plays heavily into the narrative.
    If it's gonna be done it would need to be a series anyway, too much going on for one film.
  • Bad boys for life. What a film

Sorry i meant what a shit film. Wtf was that?

At least BB1 had some style, all lens flare slow mo, Bb2 had the ferrari 512 vs car transporter plus some decent gunfights.

But no3? None of the above merits sadly.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Tomorrow War

Well at least it was fun. And props to the animation/cg/design team for the monsters, really fucking ugly and scary
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Strange creatures though. One minute they were better than a marksman in a bell tower. Next couldn’t hit a slow moving comedy sidekick if they tried. Utter shit.
  • Huh. I thought the monsters were crap. We were enjoying the tension building up until we saw the first alien and burst out laughing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought they looked pretty good but that multi limbed look is becoming overused a tad. Mini Cloverfields are popular now.
  • 49. The Tomorrow War
    Dumb as a bag of hammers, but I really enjoyed it. Great creatures and some truly spectacular and tense action sequences. Plus, JK Simmons! A lot to like. 8.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Black Widow
    Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh do Killing Eve with a splash of Captain America. I could have done with more of the Killing Eve and less of the Cap. Perfectly good Sunday evening action matinee, but nothing more.
  • 62. Black Widow
    Felt a little like Marvel making a regular movie, opening credits and all. Loved Pugh as she just sells everything she's in and I enjoyed the rest, but it did feel like a little too late to slot in this story and one that didn't really take the opportunity to give Black Widow a film truly about her.
    [6]

63. The Vast of Night
    Very confident first film with some cool and fun filmmaking. Was a bit hard to hear some of the mumblecore-ish dialogue but overall I loved it, wrapped me up the whole way through.
    [9]

64. Secret of Kells
    Really love the kind of flat style of art they do in these plus the beautiful story styling. You can definitely see the similarities with their later stuff, especially Wolfwalkers, possibly to the detriment. Would have been nice to see this when it came out. But still really enjoyed it.
    [8]
  • 50. Love & Monsters
    Despite some occasionally shonky SFX, this was actually quite a charming and fun little film. Then Michael Rooker turned up and it's became really great, then went back to being simply a really fun watch. 7
  • 65. Barb and Starr go to Vista Del Mar
    Like most US comedies, it thinks it's funnier than it is. But the constant silliness throughout got quite a few laughs from me so I enjoyed it.
    [7]

66. Triplets of Belleville
    I'd forgotten how caricaturesque this film was. It does make for a slightly less pleasant watch than The Illusionist which is an all time fave.
    [6]

67. Terms of Endearment
    I like films with flawed characters like this, makes for interesting story beats and interactions. Also complicates your relationship with the film as you're not sure if you're meant to like these main characters like you are in other movies.
    [7]

68. Bo Burnham Inside
    A collection of sketches and comedy songs and self-reflections set through the pandemic. I loved this, I thought it was excellent.
    [9]
  • 25. Black Widow - 18 July
    Fun enough, if unnecessary, diversion in the MCU. Gets an extra point cos lots of ScarJo screen time phwoar.
    [6]

26. Chungking Express - 23 July
    Peak WKW with his second collab with legendary cinematographer Christopher Doyle. Beautifully shot and a kicking soundtrack. His masterpiece is up next.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that not his masterpiece? It's one of my all time faves.
  • Probably second for me. In the Mood for Love is generally considered his best and I love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Midsommar

Well that was pretty good
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I watched Wild Bill again the other night.

I really enjoyed it.

In the 2 scenes hes in, Andy Serkis is fucking great
    PSN - minkymu
  • Midsommar

Well that was pretty good

It's mental. I've had on on BR since Xmas and haven't picked up the courage to watch it again!

51. Captive State
    John Goodman is part of a pretty good cast in a story that posits the question of what would happen if an alien civilisation invaded and conquered Earth, subjugating the human race whilst they strip the planet of its natural resources. Low budget, with some interesting ideas and sparse but very effective special effects it's not quite as good as it should be, but it's a watchable if bleak movie. 7
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really liked Midsommar. 21C Wicker Man. Proper Wicker Man I mean.
  • The Bees!
  • 52. The Full Monty
    Unemployed northerners turn to stripping to make ends meet. Pretty iconic, with a smart & funny script, some quite dark moments and a lot more swearing than I remembered. 7

53. Paddington 2
    Joyful, funny, charming and lovely sequel. 9
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    50. Sicario - on first watch I didn’t appreciate this film. Now one my third viewing and this is just a brilliantly paced film of American corruption and collusion.

51. Clear and Present Danger - the best of the Ryan’s has similar messages as Sicario with the Good Ole US of A getting it’s hands dirty with the cartels. In a film of suspense and intrigue it’s a top director who can make an inkjet printer a tense scene!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    52. The Full Monty Unemployed northerners turn to stripping to make ends meet. Pretty iconic, with a smart & funny script, some quite dark moments and a lot more swearing than I remembered. 7

Robert Carlyle said in an interview he was convinced it was going to be a load of old shit and the first rough cut confirmed it. He said the editor worked miracles with it - he literally could not believe how it had been transformed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!