Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Really enjoyed that film.

Different kettle of fish perhaps, but The Ordeal is good.

Edit: The Ritual
  • The new Ben Wheatley one looks bloody terrifying. Proper ‘the woods came alive and took them’ kinda stuff. I’ve been listening to the soundtrack, the movie looks too scary for me.
  • Yeah I really want to see that one.
  • Oh whats that called?
    PSN - minkymu
  • That looks great. Love Ben Wheatleys stuff
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I must watch Kill List again, really liked that.
  • That looks great and exactly as I asked.  Just finished The Blair Witch and I’d forgotten how tense it is and how clever with its pacing.  Still find it tough towards the end.
  • Coherence

I think it broke my brain. I loved it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed it. Made sense. Most thought provoking thing was fat Xander.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cobra Verde is the last film Werner Herzog made with Klaus Kinski.  Herzog didn't believe in making things easy for himself.

It was enough to be working with Kinksi, who in this is probably at his manic best, just staying in control in the performances.   But Herzog makes another film on location using hundreds of locals - this time in West Africa - with 2 kings taking part.

Herzog is a logistical master here as he skilfully weaves this tale of a South American bandit caught up in the slave trade together with some stunning large scale set pieces. There seem to be many events in this that have been filmed as the result of opportunities that have presented themselves. They have at least been used to enhance some of the scenes.

It isn't just about the big scenes though. This is a good story well told and all credit to the craft and talent here. This may be the best Kinski/Herzog collaboration - which given that it means besting Fitzcarraldo, Nosferatu and Aguira:Wrath of God - is going some.  An extraordinary film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The White Tiger
    This is what Slumdog Millionaire might have been if it was made by Indian filmmakers instead of Danny Boyle. A solid [7] of a movie, telling some home truths about the caste/class system in a fun Hollywood style.
  • Shoplifters. 
    Kore-eda again with a seemingly simple tale taken in an unexpected direction. This guy just does it for me. 
    4 croquettes out of 5.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    30. Thunder Force A covid project I think, mostly closed sets and very few extras. Very bland and unfunny except for a couple of moments. Really hate that US improv style. [1]

Done right its OK. Im thinking Curb mainly. Have a script, allow improv, pick what lands best.

Melissa McCarthy is just awful though. There doesn't appear to be a script to fall back on, almost every scene in the films i've seen her in are just her stood on set with verbal diarrhea and nothing left on the cutting room floor.

Oh yeah, I agree about curb. I feel like the difference is coming in without a script, workshopping some stuff with talented people on the day and then recording it with some extra flair thrown in, compared to having one person trying to say something that's funny over and over and over and just editing in some of that garbage.

This movie and things like Ghostbusters really feel like they put in the first effort for any of those jokes. All the awkward timing in the delivery as they think of what to say and so on.
  • McCarthy’s Ghostbusters really was shit.
  • 18. Flora & Ulysses. Nice little family film. Doesn't do anything special, but it's enjoyable and well made. [7]

19. Pete's Dragon (2016). Was a fan of the original as a kid, this passed me by entirely when it was released. See above for a relevant review. [7]

20. BTTFII. UHD rewatch. Great, but reminded me that I think I prefer III these days. [9]

21. Snyder Cut. I mean, it's better (I never made it all the way through the first), but it's still a cut below the majority of the MCU stuff, just doesn't feel as well written as it could be. [7.5]

22. BTTFIII. UHD rewatch. Great, but the ending's wonky. Still the best trilogy of family films ever. [9]

23. Tom and Jerry (2021). No. [4]

24. Godzilla Vs Kong. Silly big monsters fighting. Had the opportunity to watch it with the sound right up, was worth it. [7]

25. Sound of Metal. Nice performance from Riz, a good snapshot into coping with sudden and unexpected hearing loss. [8]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 31. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    I really enjoy this one. It has some clunky storytelling at times and it's peak product placement in a Marvel film but it has some of the best character stuff and cool action too.
    [8]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed all the Avengers films I have to say. The fact that they are not a train wreck is quite an achievement.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Woyzeck
    This is the Herzog/Kinski film version of a famous German play. Kinski is well suited to the source material in which the subject is suffering some sort of mental illness.  As usual it is beautifully shot in picturesque European locations. The murder scene is the dramatic highlight and Kinski is spellbinding in it. 

Some of the dialogue is clearly deeper than the intended literal meaning and would warrant some study for those who would be so inclined. Some of the lines are certainly thought provoking. Herzog states that no English translation has captured the essence of the play but there are some great lines. Deeply unsettling in places , this is probably the least accessible of their 5 films together but it's short at a little over 70mins and for anyone who wants to investigate the pair's output it has to be seen at least once.

I'm not sure how easy this material is to find on digital distribution, but all 5 films are on DVD in one boxset and most films have a commentary from Herzog which I think is still easy to get hold of.  Herzog is always good value to listen too and the set includes a 6th disc with a documentary by Herzog about Kinski called My Best Fiend (sic) which is a gem.
  • davyK wrote:
    I enjoyed all the Avengers films I have to say. The fact that they are not a train wreck is quite an achievement.

Yep, watching this one made me think of the big two coming up and how much time and thought would have gone into even just the basic story of them. Even getting that right with all the pieces, let along filming them into something watchable is a stunning achievement.
    I'm looking forward to watching them again.
  • That looks great and exactly as I asked.  Just finished The Blair Witch and I’d forgotten how tense it is and how clever with its pacing.  Still find it tough towards the end.

There's a shout for Blair Witch going on a 'perfect films' list imo.  It's an all-timer.
  • I need to watch it again. Saw it in the cinema and found it extremely dull.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought it was a comedy. It wasn't frightening at all. I get that it was "the" perfect storm of internet marketing, but if you didn't buy into that, then the rest was just a badly filmed holiday movie.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Blade Trinity.  Loved the first Blade, but I've never watched this one until now.  God damn it's bad.  Usually I can find something to like in a film like this but there's nothing here.  The action is dull, the script is stupid and embarrassingly over-stuffed with swear words, and the cast look like they don't want to be there.  It's mind boggling that this had a bigger budget than Blade 2, it looks and feels like a TV movie.

There's a bunch of comedy actors in the cast which makes me think it was going to be more of a comedy at some point.  There are no real jokes though, just characters swearing in a way that implies they're meant to be saying something funny.  But I'll give it a point for the phrase, "Cock juggling thunder cunt".

2/10
  • Nobody

Well that was enjoyable! Just left me with a massive fuck off grin on my stupid face.
    Pretty much exactly the film I wanted when I heard the premise.
  • Where are we watching nobody
    PSN - minkymu
  • Nowhere
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh bravo
    PSN - minkymu
  • Noone is
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    to blame.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!