Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    33. Life decent enough Alien rip off with solid cast that does the Alien thing far better than the shite Prometheus and Covenant. It’s weakness is the characters are too normal so you don’t have any empathy when they inevitably come up a cropper. With the OG alien you had a crew of character actors that all stood out. Anyway worth a watch and the alien was very well done.
  • 35. Alien Covenant
    Pretty average, but not as bad as some had painted it. Certainly better than Prom. 6
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Collateral
    Cruise is surprisingly solid as a stone cold hitman who hires Jamie Foxx’s cab. More action towards the end than I remembered.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    35. Alien Covenant
    Pretty average, but not as bad as some had painted it. Certainly better than Prom. 6

Absolutely the opposite. People absurdly complained that David's actions weren't explained in Prometheus, so in Covenant David literally explains the plot to himself. A terrible shit film.
  • Oh I was about to say I haven’t seen it and should probably give it a watch. Thanks is for saving me 2 hours or so of my life. Exposition like that is basically the worst thing in movies for me. To the extent that an otherwise great movie will get derided by me for it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Gremill wrote:
    35. Alien Covenant Pretty average, but not as bad as some had painted it. Certainly better than Prom. 6
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just excellent. Absolutely all my thoughts of these shite films wrapped up in 7 minutes. :-D
  • OK the first 2 minutes were hilarious and actually make me want to watch the film now!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Please don’t. Or do as a comedy.
  • g.man wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    35. Alien Covenant Pretty average, but not as bad as some had painted it. Certainly better than Prom. 6

All off which is absolutely true, but weirdly (like Prom), it didn't stop me from having an averagely enjoyable time as I watched it. Like Prom, I'll never watch it again - but hey, at least in the Ridley-verse everyone is consistently dumb as fuck.

Who do they keep letting him makes films? He's an awful, awful director.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The Martian (2015) was great. I think Scott’s Achilles is his tendency to film projects with less than complete scripts, which often can’t be salvaged in the edit.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Things to come. 1936 Sci-fi. Amusing to see a film exploring the ideas of space travel and a post apocalyptic world, but doing it before the invention of nuclear bombs and the space race. A propaganda movie for science. Everything would be great if we just put the scientists and engineers in charge. 
    5/10

Fresh (1994). Seemed like a dull coming of age in the ghetto movie at first, but then it transforms into a Machiavellian film-noir thing. Interesting but I couldn't follow exactly what was going on.
    6/10

Hair (1979). Anti war hippy musical. Some good songs but it's not much of a musical. If you took the music out you'd still have an okay Milos Forman movie.
    6/10
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Ridley Scott's a straight forward, workman like director.  The quality of his films depends entirely on the quality of the scripts he's handed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Collateral
    Cruise is surprisingly solid as a stone cold hitman who hires Jamie Foxx’s cab. More action towards the end than I remembered.

This movie rules. The Audioslave / fox moment.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ridley Scott did Alien and Bladerunner so I don't care how bad or good he is now. 

Black Hawk Down was a good chunk of entertainment, as was Gladiator. But he was in his 60s then. 

Knowing when to stop is important.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Martian is a cracker too though......
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Just excellent. Absolutely all my thoughts of these shite films wrapped up in 7 minutes. :-D

Agreed. Also reminded me of Top Cat.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Arsenic and Old Lace (1942). A fun farce, but the goofball, Frank Capra-ness, of it can be grating. Would be better on stage than on screen.
    7/10

I love Peter Lorre.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Night of the Living Dead.  The old original.  I've had this on DVD for a long time but I don't remember watching it. After viewing it tonight I can remember bits of it - so I must have watched it before, but it's a great deal better than I thought it would be.  Romero presents us with some horrific scenarios in the last third of the film. It doesn't overstay its welcome at 90 mins and is a bit slow in the middle when the acting creaks a bit but it's still an enjoyable film.  It feels modern in its use of media like TV and radio to convey the scale of the situation in what is a very small restricted film. Dawn (1978) is still the best of the lot in my mind but this must have been pretty horrific in its day. Well worth watching if you like the Romero zombie films.

The disc has two commentaries on it that I may give a listen to over the next week or two.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    "They're coming get you Barbara."
    I'm sure I've seen that clip in the background of like 5 different movies.  Presumably it's used a lot because it's out of copyright.

Sound of Metal. 2020. Riz Ahmed hasn't got much range but he was born to play intense, introverted, rage filled characters like this.
    8/10
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    34. They Live - seems wrong watching this in hi-def. last time I properly watched this was on VHS. It’s a lot slower than I remember and at it’s core it’s still relevant today, probably even more so. And that alley fight. Oh boy!
  • “ just try the damn sunglasses on!.......”
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Battle of Algiers Wow what a film. There is a strong resonance with the Irish situation but of course there are many differences between here and Algeria - the race factor not the least.  But the escalation shown here is all too familiar to someone like me.

Spectacularly shot and it has a Morricone soundtrack - with hints of what is to come - I noticed one car journey sequence with a very similar track to that used in The Godfather when Michael is dropped off at the restaurant to kill Sollozo and the police chief.

This paints an unsettling, clear picture of the wrongs of terrorism and colonialism, and the indomitable spirit of the oppressed. I recognised the feelings of anger at each outrage, so this was an emotional watch for me. The questions of how independance can occur with no blood still hang in the air, sadly.  A stunning piece of film that belies its age with its stylish technique.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Treated myself to a rewatch of Paths of Glory. If there is a film that better conveys the madness of war I have yet to see it. Noone points a camera quite like Kubrick and his sparing use of military music adds more impact.

Douglas is titanic in this and the song at the end by the girl that Kubrick would end up marrying underlines the tragedy of it all and the sadness - how else could such a film end - but with a heavyweight emotional kicker like that, matched only by its beauty and gentleness.
  • Paths Of Glory is a creeper for top 3 Kubrick imo. #1 is, in my adult years, Barry Lyndon, just such a masterpiece. Everything about it. Saw the costumes up close at the exhibition, exquisite. I'd jostle between the Shining, Orange, Paths and 2001 for 2nd, but BL is the one for me. Can't believe it didn't get the love it deserves on release, but it seems that's a trend for Kubrick films. Even EWS I'd rate in his upper half, brilliant film, but then ask me about any of his others and I'd say the same.

Anyway, Barry Lyndon #1 Kubrick, prove me wrong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I keep changing my mind. My no.1 Kubrick is the latest one I have watched.

Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut are up there. They probably benefit from rewatches more than most of his work.

I've seen 2001 and The Shining projected. Would love to see Barry Lyndon on the big screen.
  • Dr Strangelove!  2001 is prob my favourite though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh!! forgot I have seen Strangelove projected too.  Small indie cinema in Belfast re-runs this type of thing from time to time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have still to see Lolita and The Killing...

Pretty sure I have seen a bit of The Killing but it was so long ago.

Lolita will be worth watching simply because of James Mason.

Funny - I'm avoiding watching them because then I won't have a "new" Kubrick film to watch.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    On the Beach (1959).  A weird one.  People in Australia have a few months to live before a radioactive cloud, that's already killed the rest of the world, hits them.  Rather than society collapsing, everyone calmly carries on going to work, the beach, cocktail parties, queueing for suicide tablets.  One funny scene has a racing tournament where the drivers apparently all decide there's no point worrying about safety and start crashing an burning.  A striking idea but mostly just dull.
    3/10

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!