Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • She looks fantastic in it as well as acting brilliantly.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    She made Zero Dark Thirty for me. So good in it.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I didn't realise that JLaw's character was 14....are we sure about that?
    Have I really misread the film? I took it as quite fluffy due to the decisions made by the scriptwriter(s).
    Was anyone uncomfortable with the relationship in Leon then?
    She isn't really 14. I was just thinking about ways you could make the inherent creepiness more obvious.

I didn't think Passengers was that bad, but it raised a lot of difficult (and interesting) questions that the finale just sweeps under the rug.

Leon didn't kidnap the girl so it's not really the same.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Quiz time. Which is which.
    howard-chastain.jpg
  • Jessica Chastain is fantastic in everything she's in IMO. First saw her in Take Shelter, which is a personal fave (that Michael Shannon runs away with) and she is also pretty good in Miss Sloane, which isn't a great film, but it has that Sorkin style rambling stuff, and is about gun legislation in America.

Also Chastain is on the right, don't play silly buggers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nothing alike mate.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Take Shelter is superb.

Added to the list.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I guess they're no Samara Weaving and Margot Robbie.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I guess they're no Samara Weaving and Margot Robbie.

I must admit when watching Ready or Not, for like half an hour I thought it was Robbie.
  • Leon didn't kidnap the girl so it's not really the same.
    It's been a while since I've seen either film, but I don't recall Leon sentencing Natalie Portman's character to death because he wanted to get it on with her either?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The japanese version of Leon, also referred to as the directors cut is a lot more risky with their relationship. Portman actually has an uncomfortable conversation in it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Passengers /Leon conflation is FUCKING WILD
  • Quiz time. Which is which. howard-chastain.jpg

Phwoar to both!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Rusty minge
    PSN - minkymu
  • The girl that plays lois lane destroys the pair of them looks wise
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn't realise that JLaw's character was 14....are we sure about that? Have I really misread the film? I took it as quite fluffy due to the decisions made by the scriptwriter(s). Was anyone uncomfortable with the relationship in Leon then?
    She isn't really 14. I was just thinking about ways you could make the inherent creepiness more obvious. I didn't think Passengers was that bad, but it raised a lot of difficult (and interesting) questions that the finale just sweeps under the rug.
    Agreed.
    Leon didn't kidnap the girl so it's not really the same.

Point.

I wasn't meaning to conflate the two films. It was the 14 thing that prompted me to think of a film with a male adult / child relationship going on that some may have found ambiguous at times.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyhoo -  completed a rewatch of Shoah this evening. Watched it over 4 nights.

I have watched this 3 times now over the last 15 years or so and it is still surprising. Both artistically re the shots and for the sheer horror of an account I had forgot about.  Clocking in at over 9hrs that's to be expected I suppose but some of the interviews do burn themselves into your memory.

Probably something that should be watched at least once.
  • 29. Tina
    Doco of the life of one Tina Turner. Very good. What a woman. Ike: what a cunt. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 26. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    It is a solid movie but just a bit too serious for me to really love it. I'm more into the space magic/science side of things.
    [6]
  • Minkymu wrote:
    The girl that plays lois lane destroys the pair of them looks wise

Amy Adams is probably the only actress that will make me think 'ah go on then' when it comes to watching a film that doesn't interest me.
  • I can’t think of anything she’s been bad in.
  • 30. Jerry McGuire
    Peak 90s, with Cruise and Cuba on top form - it's aged surprisingly well. 8

31. Save Yourself!
    Two Brooklyn hipsters turn off their phones and get away from it all to a cabin in the country, just as aliens invade. Gently amusing and well observed low budget fare. 6

32. Oceans 8
    Female cast reboot which wasn't as bad as thought it was going to be. Perfectly serviceable Sunday afternoon heisting. 6
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    The girl that plays lois lane destroys the pair of them looks wise

Amy Adams is probably the only actress that will make me think 'ah go on then' when it comes to watching a film that doesn't interest me.

Amy Adams is beautiful and sexy as hell.
    Even my wife agrees
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked the Xmen films. So caught Apocalypse by accident tonight on TV. Think it's the only one I hadn't seen.

Enjoyable old romp. Gave us Storm's origin and filled a bit more in of Wolverine - still the best film presentation of any superhero for me.

Ticked the box.

Rose Byrne is a bonus. Forgot how lovely she is.
  • 27. Guardians of the Galaxy
    I'd forgotten how much dialogue in this is exposition. But considering how weird, wacky and new the world is I guess it is needed. Still visually stunning, amazing design work.
    [7]

28. Justice League
    Well they finally made a serviceable movie. A heavily flawed one that still doesn't seem to understand these characters or what makes these kinds of movies work or why slow mo can be good or how to use music to enhance a film but it wasn't complete trash.
    [5]
  • Skyfire

A big dumb Chinese disaster movie about a volcano that erupts. Jason Isaacs plays the owner of the luxury resort, he is south African for some reason.
    It's so stupid.
    I had lots of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 33. Green Room
    Hardcore punk band get booked to play a neo-nazi bar in the woods of the Pacific North West. Mayhem ensues. Brutal, bloody and brilliant follow up to Blue Ruin from writer/director Jeremy Saulnier. 8
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    30. Molly’s Game - Chastain again on excellent (and incredibly hot) form alongside a solid Elba in based on a true story about a woman running a very lucrative poker game.
  • 38. The Boy
    Underrated creepo doll horror. Nanny is employed to look after ageing cuckoo couple's boy, Brahms... who is a china doll. 7

39. Sexy Beast
    Jonathan Glazer's stylish crime drama and directorial debut. Featuring a tour de force performance from Ben Kingsley and a solid Ray Winstone turn as a sun soaked retired gangster. 8.5

40. The Tag-Along
    Taiwanese ghostly horror based on the Taiwanese urban legend The Little Girl in Red. A promising premise let down by a lack of scares and some ropey CGI. 5.5

41. Bone Tomahawk
    Kurt Russell leads a posse to rescue kidnapped townsfolk from a tribe of cannibals in this solid and occasionally gruesome western horror. 7.5

42. The Killing Fields
    Powerful, emotional and thought provoking biographical drama chronicling the Khmer Rouge regime based on the experiences of two journalists. 8.5

43. Widows
    Solid heist thriller which I didn't realise at the time is based on an 80s TV show penned by Lynda La Plante. A decent update with strong all female protags plotting to cover a stolen debt left by the death of their husbands in a fatal robbery. 7.5

44. Possessor
    Brandon Cronenberg's sci-fi psycho horror sees a corporate assassin struggling to disassociate from the minds she inhabits in order to carry out her contracts. A slow start that builds in to a visual and aural feast punctuated by trademark Cronenberg gore and brutality. 9

45. Creation Stories
    Mildly diverting Creation Records founder Alan McGee biopic. Too scattershot and skimming to be successful. Too much is attempted to be covered in the runtime, it needed better editing and more focus on key events. 24 Hour Party People is a better example of this kind of story. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!