Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • An accurate hobbit film would be 85% Spotify playlist.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’m in two minds too, davy.  The part of me that loves Tolkien hates the films.  The part of me that loves fantasy movies enjoys the films. Lp The Lord of the Rings films were mostly honourable to the books, and made many understandable changes.  I’m still waiting for an honourable translation of The Hobbit into film.
    Its probably best served by a high end mini series.

I’m game!
    Get schwifty.
  • The problem is the hobbit is a short kids book and they've tried to stretch it out into a 3 part epic to match lotr.
    I loved the hobbit as a book but thought the first film was so incredibly boring and dragged out I've never watched the others
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m in the middle of a Silmarillion reread at the moment, and it’s staggering in its scope.  I’m so hopeful the new Second Age Amazon series is going to be good.  There is so much potential in the mythology Tolkien created.  It’s second to none, and there’s a reason it’s endured.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Whatever happened to that Middle Earth series that Amazon were making? Has Covid killed it?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s still happening.  Amazon paid two hundred and fifty million pounds just for the rights to make it.  It’s definitely still happening.
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’m in two minds too, davy.  The part of me that loves Tolkien hates the films.  The part of me that loves fantasy movies enjoys the films.

The Lord of the Rings films were mostly honourable to the books, and made many understandable changes.  I’m still waiting for an honourable translation of The Hobbit into film.

The animated version from the 70s or 80s seemed fairly faithful.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Actually, I think I'm thinking of the Lord of the Rings, not the Hobbit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - there was an animated LoTR but it was never completed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Reminds me of the BBC versions of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe which I much prefer to the more recent movie. Although the movie isn't bad.

I had a boardgames based on the BBC version as well which I remember being quite good as a kid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dark Waters taught me about the DuPont/Teflon scandal - something I knew nothing about.

We have seen this sort of thing before but the scope of this is terrifying. 99% of all living things have absorbed the artificial molecules that are linked to a host of cancers and they were created in labs.

Well worth watching for the factual bit but also because of the great cast and presentation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I enjoyed Dark Waters, +1 on the rec.
  • Speaking of BBC versions and LOTR, i recently listened to the old bbc radio dramatisation.
    One thing that struck me was how much the films seemed to take inspiration from them. Well worth a listen if you can get them for a fair price ( i got a cheap few months of audible and used my credits on them)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speaking of BBC versions and LOTR, i recently listened to the old bbc radio dramatisation. One thing that struck me was how much the films seemed to take inspiration from them. Well worth a listen if you can get them for a fair price ( i got a cheap few months of audible and used my credits on them)

This. It's a brilliant presentation of LoTR .... and I agree totally re its influence on the Jackson version.
  • davyK wrote:
    Speaking of BBC versions and LOTR, i recently listened to the old bbc radio dramatisation. One thing that struck me was how much the films seemed to take inspiration from them. Well worth a listen if you can get them for a fair price ( i got a cheap few months of audible and used my credits on them)

This. It's a brilliant presentation of LoTR .... and I agree totally re its influence on the Jackson version.

I had this on tape as a kid (and still do somewhere, if only I still had something to play it on). Agree it’s great, and I always felt that the casting of Holm in the film was, in part, a nod to his performance in the BBC version.
  • I just watched Quiz Show.
    I had never even heard of it before but saw it on Star.
    Fantastic film, brilliant cast and performances.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I had this on tape as a kid (and still do somewhere, if only I still had something to play it on). Agree it’s great, and I always felt that the casting of Holm in the film was, in part, a nod to his performance in the BBC version.

The set with gold foil cases?  If so, I had those.  Listened to them many times over.  Have since got it on Audible.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    davyK wrote:

I have the full collection on CD. It’s brilliant. If anyone wants it pm me and I’ll rip it.

As for he Hobbit it should have been a kids film. That’s the point. One film that gets you into LoTR.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’d also highly recommend the BBC radio dramatisation of The Hobbit, which was produced in the sixties.  Not a fan of the way Gandalf is portrayed, but the excellent to-and-fro between Bilbo and the narrator is wonderful.  It’s very good.
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The BBC radio version of the John le Carré (tinker tailor soldier spy author) novels are pretty good too.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The audible dramatisation of Treasure Island is pretty great too if we're talking about radio plays.
  • I just watched Apocalypse Now on iPlayer.
    I dont always need credits to gather my thoughts but after that I really didn't need it to wait 30 seconds before jumping into the first episode of a teeny poppy show called "Some Girls".
  • Greenland
    Spoiler:

There was no dog. All end of the world movies need a dog. 2/10.
  • Gerard Butler is the dog.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • He is the dad you want when the sky falls I guess.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not really, he was like a headless chicken running all over the place. And who separates from their family at the end of the world? Twat.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First Man. I love all things Apollo but sometimes I need to break from it so when this came out I left it. This is a great film based on that story. Probably because it's a human story with the tech etc in the background. It does cover a bit of the tech but the human story is the focus. And that's why I consider it the best of the lot; Apollo 13 included.

I'm liking Ryan Gosling more and more and he heads a superb cast. Claire Foy, playing Armstrong's wife, fails at looking mousey; her beauty shines through - but that's OK. :)

This is brilliant stuff. There is a little bit of artistic licence from time to time (he didn't leave the little girl's bracelet on the moon) but that's OK. This disappears from Netflix on the 17th March. I'd make it my business to watch this.
  • Kow wrote:
    Whatever happened to that Middle Earth series that Amazon were making? Has Covid killed it?

It was filming in New Zealand late last year. New Zealand killed COVID so it worked in that productions favour
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    First Man This disappears from Netflix on the 17th March. I'd make it my business to watch this.

Cheers Davy, saving to watch later.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Aye, that’s a good kick to get it watched. It’s one of those films hovering around in my Netflix list but never getting clicked on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!