Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I’ve not seen it too many times. But it can work really well. Like a certain Korean film I saw last year.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I forget where I last saw it but I've noticed a trend of protagonists looking into the camera for the final shot of a movie. This annoys me and I don't see the point in it. In my head they're saying "Okay folks. Movie's over. Hope you enjoyed it. Have a safe Drive home."
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Are they meant to be saying something like:
    "Boy. The human condition sure does suck huh?"
    or
    "Society is balls. You gotta fix it!"

If I haven't got the message by that point, I'm not gonna get it.
  • Kow wrote:
    I Care a Lot. I thought this was going to be a straight drama but it quickly turned into a stupid film. By the end it was a very stupid film.

My other half was wanting to watch this after footy,
    I now know to make my excuses.
    Thank you.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Some golden LOL moments
    Spoiler:

Is that Minky?

No comment officer....
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Revenant

One of my favourite novels is Rogue Male in which the hero is captured and tortured and left for dead and then slowly recovers while existing in the wild. There's more to that novel but I enjoyed that aspect of it.

This is that taken to its limits. Exhausting but compulsive viewing. DiCaprio is becoming one of my favourite actors as he ages and Hardy is dependable as ever.

Some beautiful shots of the wilderness - would have liked to have seen this in the cinema.

The bear encounter is quite the technical achievement to my eyes at any rate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    That's one of them! Looking down the camera so you know the movie's over. I should make a list.

White Tiger also did it, though I didn't mind there since the main character was basically talking to the viewer all the way through the movie.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Revenant

One of my favourite novels is Rogue Male in which the hero is captured and tortured and left for dead and then slowly recovers while existing in the wild. There's more to that novel but I enjoyed that aspect of it.

This is that taken to its limits. Exhausting but compulsive viewing. DiCaprio is becoming one of my favourite actors as he ages and Hardy is dependable as ever.

Some beautiful shots of the wilderness - would have liked to have seen this in the cinema.

The bear encounter is quite the technical achievement to my eyes at any rate.

It was quite the thing in the cinema. From the very first shots of the forest, as the camera slowly moves forward then you get the shouts of the native Americans...the arrows flying in... Incredible. Great film.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Greenland   It's all been done before so this felt like a bit of a throwback. Felt like an extended mini series pilot. Actually I wouldn't mind a well researched mini-series covering the aftermath of a scenario like this.

It gets a lot of slagging on Amazon reviews but it's OK. Workmanlike if a bit annoying at times due to hazards created by contrivances and stupidity. Butler's bizarre accent was all over the place. 

Unlike earlier films, this takes a new angle - the powers that be are remote and faceless - and an attempt is made to portray the situation from a typical Joe's point of view dealing with the little info drip fed which probably would be closer to the truth. An interesting take but its vision is beyond its reach.

But it killed 2hrs and kept me watching. Forgettable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    But it killed 2hrs and kept me watching. Forgettable.

Ha! Put that on the back of your VHS rental box! 

(for the record, I lasted 1hr)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’m five minutes into that Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, or whatever the fuck it’s called.
    I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    I’m five minutes into that Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, or whatever the fuck it’s called.
    I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
    I really enjoyed that. Seen it twice now!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Con Air.
    Disney+ paying for itself.

Is it me or is Disney+ much better video/audio quality than other services?
  • Certainly better than Prime for me. Not compared it to Netflix yet.
  • Jesus Christ, this is bad. Very bad.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Con Air. Disney+ paying for itself. Is it me or is Disney+ much better video/audio quality than other services?

Video, yeah. Audio, not sure, I don't have the TV on the surround sound atm.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Con Air.
    Disney+ paying for itself.

Is it me or is Disney+ much better video/audio quality than other services?

Disney+ comes with 4K as standard, if you don't have the Netflix subscription for HD or 4K, you aren't getting it. I think some of the established streamers started throttling their bandwidth during the Covid crisis at the request of the EU but Disney+ may not have bothered, being a new player.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I checked out the new Disney content today. I don't think I've seen so much shit in the same place since Amazon Video started up here.
  • I dont have a 4k TV so wouldn't notice anyway but you did remind me I was paying the £5.99 poverty point for Netflix which is worse SD than even ITV pump out.

Either way this looks better than most streaming.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I definitely think they have a better streaming service. It’s on a par quality wise with Apple paid for movies but doesn’t seem to suffer as many buffering issues. Netflix rarely buffers but is happy to drop quality for delivery. I don’t know how Disney do it but they nail quality and consistency and yes the 4K stuff looks great. Possibly something to do with deep pockets.
  • It will be interesting to see if they keep it up with a broader selection now. In the past it has felt very dip in and out.

Can they cope with people leaving Scrubs streaming when they have passed out.
  • Kow wrote:
    I checked out the new Disney content today. I don't think I've seen so much shit in the same place since Amazon Video started up here.
    I noticed they have 'kung pow: enter the fist' which might be the silliest film ever, so all is forgiven.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It will be interesting to see if they keep it up with a broader selection now. In the past it has felt very dip in and out.

Can they cope with people leaving Scrubs streaming when they have passed out.

They auto switch off the TV on the last season for you.
  • @b0ris
    That'll help.

I just noticed Idiocracy is on Disney+.
    If people haven't seen it it really is a must watch.

Tongue in cheek, ott, satirical comedy over the years has become more and more on the nose and is now starting to feel like some Nostradamus future prediction.

Its a Mike Judge number so that alone should appeal to most people here given the age demographic.
  • Oh. Office Space is there as well.

If you cant relate to Office Space than I guess count yourself lucky.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I think Disney+ has a lot of stuff in HDR. I wish there was an option to turn it off. Looks really dingy on my TV.

g.man wrote:
    Jesus Christ, this is bad. Very bad.
    Misogynist!

I also thought it was very bad. Better than Suicide Squad, but much more pleased with itself.
  • I'm so pleased with the additions to Disney +, so many great movies! Plus every season of Burn Notice!
    I'm a happy man.

Also like I said I really enjoyed Birds of Prey, lots of fun indeed. And Ewan McGregor was an excellent villain, clearly having lots of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Yeah Ewan was good.
  • I thought the whole thing was a crime against cinema.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I thought the whole thing was a crime against cinema.

I don't know why you continue to watch these things when you hate them. Life too short and all that.

I liked Birds of Prey most of all the DC stuff fwiw, although that's me giving it a 3.5 out of 5. Mostly yep McGregor chomping through scenery like a hoon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!