PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Face / Off is the actual trilogy
  • Re: Nic Cage - Hah, was just having this conversation with my sister yesterday.  She was surprised, as she didn't know, that he had won an Oscar in the past (for Leaving Las Vegas which he was admittedly decent in).

I also surprised her with the news that Adam Sandler is a good actor when he wants to be and that he got nominated for an Oscar for Uncut Gems.  Recommended the film to her as I loved it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Face / Off is the actual trilogy

That would be super shit if it wasn't for typically enjoyable John Woo action.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cage is great in Leaving Las Vegas and Bad L, but he definitely phones in the 'I'm Nic Cage' in most of his stuff. I don't mind that though, it's what I expect.
  • The shopping trolley bit in Leaving LV is a go to gif for the end of Friday.
  • Lord of War is great. He only partially Nic Cages it in that.
  • I watched Next with Nic Cage the other day.
    Its the film where the Eagle hair Cage meme came from as his hair does indeed look like an Eagle throughout.
    It is also magnificently bad and fully required bad Cage to make it watchable.
  • Good Cage is Raising Arizona.
  • Watched that in the week also. The Sand Coloured Jacket Of Time was my sizzling take. I enjoyed it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I also surprised her with the news that Adam Sandler is a good actor when he wants to be and that he got nominated for an Oscar for Uncut Gems.  Recommended the film to her as I loved it.

The Adam Sandler who is famously snubbed by The Academy no matter what role he takes, even for those world beating roles in PDL and erm, UG?
  • Watched Midsommar last night. Yawn.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Watched Midsommar last night. Yawn.

I actually enjoyed it, but I’d struggle to recommend it to anyone. It’s quite uncomfortable viewing.

Just watching the Robocop reboot right now. I knew the reviews weren’t good, but I fancied catching it myself. I’m proper laughing that they kept one of Murphy’s hands. Why? They’d already established robotic two hands with the guitar guy.
  • Midsommar's a great film.
  • Contentious.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Thought it tapped brilliantly into a few shared fears and loved the slow burn.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm throwing Matchstick Men in the 'Nick Cage is good' camp
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • News of the World. Tom Hanks plays at being a cowboy.  I heard it was a touch dull, rather slow, and only had one shoot out scene, but after putting myself through First Cow, I thought I could endure any Western. I was wrong. I have a lot of time for the genre usually but this really was a slog.

In one scene, Tom laments the loss of his dead wife, staring gormlessly for an interminably long time at her gravestone. It means nothing to the viewer however  because we are given no clue or insight into the man's past life. He then has an inexplicable change of heart and dashes back to retrieve the girl he had earlier rescued on the trail, but now abandoned with some Amish family. We find her tied to a post. I would have preferred if screen time had been spent examining the poor child's descent into slavery/servitude (strong performance by actress, Helena Zengel) but we see none of this. Tom is the star and Tom must have his screen time after all.

If you want to see a better examination of characters torn between their adopted Indian family and their White heritage, go watch Dances with Wolves or something. It's barely scrutinised here, with a brief encounter with tribes people that sees our heroine return to Hank's side without a moment's thought, gifting him a fresh mount. And there's a really heavy handed scene where Tom rants against the dangers of oligarchs and media moguls that's done in a horrible unsubtle nudge nudge wink wink sort of way.

Tom used to be replied upon to provide good old fashioned 'comfort food' cinema. But his last two outings, this and Greyhound, really have been complete yawn fests.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    With a few exceptions Hanks has always been an indication of dull middle of the road cinema.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like I had a lucky escape. Last night, me and my brother and his wife were deciding between watching that and Shirkers. Ended up watching Shirkers instead which was pretty damn good.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I'm throwing Matchstick Men in the 'Nick Cage is good' camp

He can be just what the movie needs, and that’s a great shout.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sounds like I had a lucky escape. Last night, me and my brother and his wife were deciding between watching that and Shirkers. Ended up watching Shirkers instead which was pretty damn good.

Shirkers is indeed, pretty damn good.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Same, she rocks.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Watched Midsommar last night. Yawn.

I actually enjoyed it, but I’d struggle to recommend it to anyone. It’s quite uncomfortable viewing.

Just watching the Robocop reboot right now. I knew the reviews weren’t good, but I fancied catching it myself. I’m proper laughing that they kept one of Murphy’s hands. Why? They’d already established robotic two hands with the guitar guy.

I was expecting something that would make you think or be disturbed. Apart from the Logan's run element it was banal.
  • Watching Erin Brockovich.
    Its alright but the soundtrack is probably the worst soundtrack I have ever heard.
    I'm watching on Netflix and wondering if its a rights replacement thing it is that bad.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Greenland. Cacky.
    Spoiler:

I suppose you can hand wave it all away as people doing dumb things in a crisis but it took liberties with it
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    At least all the feedback has been consistent. It’s all nonsense with us picking up on different parts of it.

My main complaint is they didn’t have the balls to go full on nonsense that the bigger budget disaster films have.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LA Confidential Decades since I first watched this. What a cast. Still a great watch but it does feel aged - not sure why though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Haven’t seen it in years but loved it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just back from Harold and Maude

Very odd humour, but I really enjoyed it. Drive in keeps surprising us with good movies. Blue Velvet was the previous one, and we'll probably go to The Shining next.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!