Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • Tried it out, there's something there but still feels a bit rough.  Will give it a while to get polished
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Knocked off first area with one character. There's all the usual sliders and stuff to adjust. Looks like full game will have 5 areas at least plus final boss if I was guessing.

Second area leans into some more varied enemy combos. A couple of enemies already with some jib moves/queues, but early days.

Really do enjoy the lack of buttons though. It really is left stick, right trigger. Y and x to check current load outs etc.

Framerate can chug for me a little bit when the enemies are really swarming, but it's still very playable and goddamn I mean it's only when the screen is literally filled.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Last boss just did me in Have a Nice Death, after I bowled in thinking I was all OP. Still really liking it, not the best in class but a definite [8].
  • I've soft finished Have a Nice Death, if that's the correct terminology.  It pulls a bit of a Ghouls n Ghosts, to use an outdated reference, so another successful run is needed for a proper ending (although not the proper proper ending).  ANYWAY, it's a really good game and it's currently hitting more like an [8.5] than an [8].  I'm not a massive roguehead (I've done my fair share of moaning about them on here over the years) but I can see why the genre is goatly for some, it's great when you find one to click with.
  • And credits. Very good stuff, even if I was maniacally overpowered in that last run.
  • So the second area of death must die is much tougher. Some clear balance issues and BS currently.

But still making progress, and just made my best run for a while just now.
  • So there's a tech test for Hades 2 doing the rounds. Looks like more of the same. Great for those that liked it I suppose.
  • Everyone with any integrity like Hades.
  • Hades is great.

Death must die is hades but even simpler. Just beat the second area. Might wait for further updates now. The different characters aren't so different you notice much, it's basically 3 cqc that feel the same. A speedy version then 2 ranged folks.

Still, overall, cracking fun. 100% worth it at full release time unless they really screw the pooch.
  • So there's a tech test for Hades 2 doing the rounds. Looks like more of the same. Great for those that liked it I suppose.

I’m finding the tech test surprisingly fresh - still Hades, but some really smart changes means that it doesn’t feel like a case of Been Here Done That.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Everyone with any integrity like Hades.

Ruh roh
  • I can't play OTXO any more, uninstalling it. I've spent hours on it and my best run is three screens into the 4th area. It's not really getting much easier as I supposedly get better either - an average run for me ends midway through the third zone, and I cant face another 30mins of wasted play. Part of me loves it but structurally it's a bit fucked - it doesn't feel like any of the ublocks take the edge of the difficulty.

Also sulking that I'm crap at it because the gameplay is legit.
  • I'm completely stuck on minishoot adventures. I've done the first 2 dungeons but I'll be fucked if I can find a way to the third. Anyone??
  • Just sussed it. It's bloody easy to get lost in this game. Loving it.
  • Where do I talk about this game
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IN THE METROIDVANIA THREAD LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I think Nintendo Life said OTXO is “Hotline Miami but a roguelike with bullet time but not as good.” Is that fair?

Tempted, but I also could do with 100%ing Hades and finally getting a bit further through Dead Cells when I’m not bashing Isaac.

Forgot to update with 'maybe stick with those' post. Review here: https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/2314191#Comment_2314191

Also more in-depth thoughts on Have A Nice Death just above it, which I really enjoyed and would suggest more roguey people play.
  • The very excellent Caves of Qud has a free demo available until the 13th. And there's a new beta available -

Hello friends!

We are excited to announce that the Spring Molting update is live now in beta. We'll be testing for a few weeks and then releasing the update on the main branch June 6th
    . Full patch notes can be found at the end of this post, but here is a summary:

- ALL NEW INTERFACE Our transformational UI redesign is complete! Fully mouseable, fully gamepaddable, and much prettier, but all carefully designed to maintain the essence of what makes Qud Qud. More polish is coming, but everything functional is in.
    - Support for Steam Cloud saves. Play between PCs or between Steam Deck and PC, at your leisure
    - a refresh of the starting town of Joppa, with the same lived-in texture as the rest of the world
    - hundreds of new sound and visual effects
    - several new narrative touches, big bug fixes, & performance improvements

To access the beta, select Caves of Qud in your Steam library> Preferences> Betas> Beta Branch. No password required. For bugs and feedback, please post here.
    The new UI has full keyboard, mouse, and controller support.
    The new UI plays natively on handhelds like Steam Deck.

I'd be very interested in knowing how it plays on the Steam Deck, if someone who has one fancies giving it a go.
  • Will get it loaded on the deck

• Tried it and it runs fine on steam deck, the game isn’t for me though

• Ta. Yeah I was really curious about how the UI/controls work out and if it ends up being too fiddly or something. Fair enough if it's not your thing though, it's a pretty obtuse classical kind of roguelike I think.
  • the “playing area” was tiny - not sure if that is by design or cramped for the sd.
    Seems really deep but not to my taste.
    Weird the evolution of gaming, back in the spectrum / c64 days games were either good or bad; now the selection is so wide that it really depends on your taste per sub strand of a genre

• You can zoom in an out, it was probably zoomed out far by default. And it's designed around each area being a rectangular tile which might feel a bit weird at first, similar to how a lot of roguelikes do it, I think for good technical reasons given the level of simulation going on.
  • I will try and give it another go, lot going on

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I killed a couple of crocs, drank some salt water, got into a scrap with some scavenger dog mutant things and as I was shooting at one I missed and hit a horse thing which understandably kicked me to death.

It does seem very deep, the controls seem to be well implemented as I could manage to get by just pressing things and trying to work it out. Couldn't find my inventory for love nor money though
  • It is absolutely very deep and very wide, some insane shit to figure out and discover. Think of Noita's breadth and level of craziness if you've played that. It's been a while since I've played but this sort of build was working really well for me -

03x2O9P.png

Basically a really strong axe wielding type that can beguile creatures so they'll follow you, super fun and can become kind of broken if you find the right denizens to do it to...  They'll level up with you as you progress and if you use domination on them you can upgrade them with their own crazy mutations.

The game is supposedly going to hit 1.0 this year so I'm probably going to hold off until then before diving in again to do a serious playthrough, but what I've played of it previously has been amazing. Great writing, pretty simple to play but a ton of depth and strategy to discover, and the graphical design has a near perfect balance between readability and suggestion of form, and not being too detailed such that it overrides what your imagination can conjure up.
  • Also Path of Achra hit 1.0 the other day, it was previously recommended to me as being one of the very best roguelikes. Going to have to check it out at some point.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There are some weird combos to access stuff like dead bodies. They disappear after a kill but if you use LT and A together it gives you a menu of the stuff that's in the tile.

Not enough time in the day for me to get into this, how am I supposed to find all the eggs in Animal Well while working this out too?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!