Sins of the Silicon and Console Curios
  • Probably the weirdest thing I've seen today https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/PlaytimeLightGames.htm
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I would play the shit out of Baseball Stealth Fighter.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    A Taiwanese console. Only saw 12 games apparently. Probably didn't help that it had the same processor as the Mega Drive, but was released around the same time as the PlayStation.

800px-Super-ACan-Console-set-h.jpg

Wikipedia.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Possibly the weirdest GameBoy accessory, the GameBoy Color-controlled sewing machine.

sewinggameboy80bbb0.png

Source.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The video behind the link features the second American to pronounce jaguar as "jag-wire", which irritates me even more than the usual "jag-wah".

It's "jag-u-ar", you colonial heathens.
  • The long lost sega neptune....

Yes, it's a mod but seriously, that's some crazy dedication soldering the innards of a md and 32X in such a Frankensteinian manner. Nice shell though....

Now if someone would only build the mega-cd into it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    The video behind the link features the second American to pronounce jaguar as "jag-wire", which irritates me even more than the usual "jag-wah".

It's "jag-u-ar", you colonial heathens.
    Her pronunciation is inexplicable.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Her pronunciation is inexplicable.

She must have been watching Matt McMuscle's videos on YouTube. He was the first one I know of to utter "jag-wire".
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nicked off Twitter. If I ever see one of these IRL...

ggwatch.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bought a nephew one of these for Christmas many years ago. I suspect it has appreciated in value.  It tests your rapid fire skills.

hudson-shooting-watch
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I dig it. I’d quite like one just as a display piece.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    More random bits and pieces from Taipei.

Really dig this red and black Vita. No price, which means they want $lots.
    vita-soul.jpg

Boxed WonderMega and PC Engine Duo R.
    wonder-duo-R.jpg

No idea what this is, or does. Modem for the Famicom? Behold, mortals, and weep: the Dataship 1200.
    dataship-1200.jpg
    Bonus geezer in the background, pointing at you and saying "You've never seen one of these, have you? And you call yourself a gamer..."

And this one I actually bought - a wireless PCE mini pad. Been looking for one of these for ages, the prices on the second hand market can be stupid. I got this for roughly £23.
    8bitdo-pce-pad.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    For the upshot of the last one, keep an eye on the free to a good home thread.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently the Dataship 1200 was like a modified Famicom with a modem that could be used for home banking. But it can’t play games.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    A boring NES for dads.

What went under the flap?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Its own kind of cartridges for boring stuff like banking and looking up stocks and shares ‘n’ shit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Huh, I thought it had to be carts, but after you said it was for online banking, I would have bet actual money on something else.
  • Cash deposits
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Insert coin, indeed.
  • "Bonus geezer"

That's "The Divine Ponytail" Roberto Baggio. Put some respect on his name!

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, sports. That'll be why I don't know him.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nabbed from the front page of Wikipedia, a doohickey that let Japanese players trade Pokemon (among other things) way back in the year 2000 over the mobile phone network.

1024px-Pokemon_Crystal_Mobile_System_GB.webp.png

You'd have been the coolest kid in school with that. Or beaten up frequently, one of the two. The Wikipedia article also claims that the gizmo let you send 'mons to Pokemon Stadium 2, but that was this thing...

440px-Nintendo-64-GB-Transfer-Pak.jpg

... Shirley?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pokemon Stadium made me jealous of people who were into Pokemon. Must have been marvellous playing the old GB games and then seeing your beasties spring into coloured 3D life on your TV.

:)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah it was pretty spectacular. When it launched I was fully into my Blue/Red/Trading Cards tsar phase. Was amazing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Very jealous. I had a Gameboy Color and an N64, but couldn't scape together the paper round money for Pokemon Stadium, Gold/Silver/Diamond, and the Transfer Pak.

Definitely felt like living in the future though.
  • I finally have my WOWcube, after picking it up from the the courier collection point this evening. What’s a WOWcube? It’s one of these:

GOD1CNyW4AAk2Z0.jpg

So, it’s a 2x2 Rubik’s cube where every panel is a little screen, and you play using tilt controls, and twisting the faces.

It’s been a long road to get here. So long, in fact, there were times when I wondered if the whole thing had been an elaborate scam. There were a couple of times I made contact with them, asking about updates, and then received the next step a suspiciously short time afterwards, as though my contact had prompted them to push me into the next phase.

I had ordered the Space Invaders version, and a while back they sent out an update saying that they had hit a licensing issue; the game wasn’t close enough to Space Invaders, and they couldn’t use the name unless they made significant changes to the game. As a result, they delayed all those who ordered that version. Quite why, I don’t know; the units are all identical, it’s just that different ones had different games pre-installed, they could have sent out the units and let you download the game from the store later.

A month ago they asked to confirm shipping addresses and pay for the calculated shipping. I received a confirmation that I would receive an email from a courier, then nothing for a month until I chased them up. They are still trying to fob me off with lies about what happened there.

The unboxing experience was not great. There are a multitude of boxes in boxes, some have sleeves so I nearly dropped the WOWcube as it slid out, and a few of the boxes are unclear as to how they should be opened without tearing. The WOWcube batteries were flat, and sticking it on to charge (a baseplate with a super thin fin which slots up between the cube sections) was alarming in a variety of ways. Some panels remained completely dead, while others flickered in an unsettling way, as though there were faults. The battery percentage would rocket up, then drop back down, then creep up some more before dropping down again. I think this is something to do with how each section works independently, and they are transferring the power between them. I left it on to charge for about four hours and got up just over 50%.

I got home, and started to play around with it and… it’s not great. At all. The tilt controls are twitchy and unresponsive, and work the exact opposite way to what you’d expect, so controlling games is unintuitive and just doesn’t work well. The double tap for selecting things is also unresponsive. And as for the twisting, urgh. I have maybe gotten too used to speed cubes, but the sections of this are super-flush with sharp angles, so they have to be perfectly aligned before you can rotate. I’m often finding that even just the slight lateral twist caused by me applying the pressure to rotate a side is enough to jam the rotation.

There are things to be impressed by. Each section houses its own CPU etc, so each section can operate on its own independently, but also with the other seven sections no matter how they are configured. But, so far, it is badly, badly let down by the software and sensors.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!