Homefront: The Revolution - Out May 20th
  • homefront-the-revolution-cover-crop_1920.0.0.jpg

I don't think this is garnering much interest on this forum, but I have been keeping half a lazy eye on it.  I have registered and received my code for the closed Boner beta, which starts next Thursday the 11th with a pre beta server stress test occurring this Friday.

Homefront: The Revolution is an open-world first person shooter where you must lead the Resistance movement in guerrilla warfare against a superior military force. A living, breathing, open world responds to your actions - you and your Resistance Cell can inspire a rebellion on the streets and turn Occupation into Revolution, as oppressed civilians take up the fight.
    But your enemy has the advantage - superior technology, firepower, heavy armor and air support. You must learn the art of guerrilla warfare – ambush, sabotage, infiltration, deception – and fight a running battle through the war-ravaged suburbs of Philadelphia.

Developed by Nottingham based Dambuster Studios (formerly Crytek UK and Free Radical Design), this has been likened to Far Cry 4 in brown and grey, slightly unfairly perhaps but understandably given its strong UbiGame™ leanings.  There is naturally a touch of Crysis going on and I'm attracted by the realish world premise of North Korea (or Norks as they are referred to in game) invading the US and the subsequent guerrilla warfare fight back from the citizens.  There's a theme around weapon and equipment crafting, loot, and an emphasis on emergent gameplay.  Outside of the campaign, PvP multiplayer has been avoided given the crowded MP FPS scene and in its place will be Resistance Mode, 12 co-op missions for four willing teammates.  As a bonus, there won't be a season pass and all first year DLC will be free as the developer will be funding this by inserting micro transactions in the form of loot crates, but these are promised to be not pay-to-win IAPs.

Any fellow Boners interested there's still time for the closed beta.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Takes balls to have the word Revolution in your title and be so utterly derivative. 

The only things they have to animate are men and guns and they've fucked up at least one of those. Unless that's the slippy slidey ice world.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I signed up is that all I need to do?

First game burned so bad. I took it back after seeing how bad it looked and ran.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ugh this looks bad too.
  • I registered yesterday, Franny, my code was emailed through today for preloading the client.

I think this has little to do with the first one bar the name.  It is the remains of what Deep Silver bought from the Crytek break up.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can I hide in a mass grave
  • I thought the first one was an isometric shooter? They've gone FPS now?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    First was a 4 hour cod lite campaign
  • the realish world premise of North Korea (or Norks as they are referred to in game) invading the US and the subsequent guerrilla warfare fight back from the citizens.
    Thought the idea of a revolution might have been quite interesting until I read that bit. Sounds like a bit of a cop out now.
  • I'm using the beta as a barometer of my interest.  I think it could go either side of a seven out of ten.
  • Webbins wrote:
    ...you and your Resistance Cell can inspire a rebellion on the streets and turn Occupation into Revolution, as oppressed civilians take up the fight. But your enemy has the advantage - superior technology, firepower, heavy armor and air support. You must learn the art of guerrilla warfare – ambush, sabotage, infiltration, deception...
    Reads like an ISIS recruitment game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It looks like it could be quite interesting. There looks like there are two different areas that the game takes place in. The yellow zone, which is heavily populated and you operate covertly and try and blend in with the civ pop in between missions. Then there is the Red zone, which appears to be the destroyed outskirts of the city that is very sparsely populated and is in a state of all out war fighting (albeit aysmmetric). It looks like its open world with multiple ways of completing objectives.  I got a bit of far cry 3 vibe from the Red zone trailer.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Can I hide in a mass grave
    You can feel right at home among fellow rapists
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    U wot
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Context reg, context. War is hell.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    What the hell, might as well try it. Registered.
  • I watched a gameplay vid. That was enough for me. Be interested to hear impressions, but looks ropey to my old eyes.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks ropey to my youngerish eyes but I'm a sucka for a beta.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Looks ropey to my nerdish eyes but I'm a sucka for a beta.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Previews from all the usual trustworthy places have been generally positive with most declaring surprise at this.

It's still really not for me though - it just looks too infantile for me I'm afraid.
  • Set the beta to download this morning. Not too optimistic, anyone with an idea of what they were doing would surely have started from scratch rather than try to revive the dead on arrival IP.
  • Spare beta code below, starts at 7pm tonight and goes through Sunday.

M63VW-VVWTQ-WD7KK-YQ3WQ-7799Z
  • Had a go last night, the big co-op mission. The scale is impressive and a squad of friends running around a big map carrying out objectives isn't a bad starting point. It's just a bit janky and last gen though, the net code wasn't great and the gun play and missions were all pretty basic.
  • Aye I thought the same.  Not as slick as I would have hoped, but I like the intent and the co-op.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!