Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Salt and pepper chicken, green beens with crispy Parma ham and asparagus.

Lovely jubbly.
  • Pouilly-Fume. Think I'll work the Loire Valley a bit more over the next few days.
  • It's not even ten and I'm twatted.
  • What I really want now is a cold beer.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Poached eggs with spinach cooked with shallots, chilli, garlic, turmeric and coconut cream, served on Rye bread toast for breakfast this morning. Wish I had time to do that every day.
  • Spicy eggs for breakfast is great. We don't do it enough in Blighty.
  • Like any good capital city, chilli in Paris is now a thing. They don't do it at all down here. Too black I fear.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Back to salads for Cinty.

Celery salad.

Slice up a handful of celery stalks, a couple of red chillies, a bunch of spring onions and a good handful of coriander. Throw in a handful of toasted peanuts.

Make a dressing with 3 tablespoons of good vegetable or olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and a couple of teaspoons of fish sauce. You could and some palm or brown sugar if you feel the need, but I wouldn't personally.

Et voilà
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thai celery salad (which is what that is) also uses the celery leaves, chopped up and mixed in. They're very tasty.
  • They always chop the leaves off in Britain. We're a disgrace.
  • Do that on the continent and you'd be lynched
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Spicy eggs for breakfast is great. We don't do it enough in Blighty.

I love chillies in the morning. When I was in Bali I had the local breakfast every day, which was a very spicy nasi goreng type thing.
  • Might as well chop off the courgette flowers while you're at it, who eats them?
  • And why would you not buy a whole fish? How can you check for freshness sans gills and eyes? Not to mention the lovely cheeks, which are the best bit. You can't even smell the bastard without getting odd looks. Don't inspect the produce please, you're not wearing gloves.
  • And what of fish stock without the bits? Calm SG, you're on holiday.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fish guts are the tastiest bits, especially eaten raw. Just grab handfuls and shove them into your mouth at the local market. It's what we do on the continent.
  • You fresh fish mentalists. We don't do that shit up here. Who won the war anyway?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You should go out and do it right now, fit in with the locals. It's traditional to drop your trousers and howl at the same time.
  • The worse thing is we're a fucking island.
  • We don't even bother going the other way and salt cod. The best thing I've eaten in Spain was ironically preserved fish. We can't do anything right.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How do you ironically preserve fish? Do you mean mojama (cured tuna)? It's foul.
    667583682.jpg
  • I suppose the irony is when you don't need to. Or maybe you're preserving it when the species is fucked. Either way, cured fish done right is wonderful.
  • Back to salads for Cinty.

Celery salad.

Slice up a handful of celery stalks, a couple of red chillies, a bunch of spring onions and a good handful of coriander. Throw in a handful of toasted peanuts.

Make a dressing with 3 tablespoons of good vegetable or olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and a couple of teaspoons of fish sauce. You could and some palm or brown sugar if you feel the need, but I wouldn't personally.

Et voilà

Thanks. That's lunch sorted.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Little hashed potatoes and coffee yas
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And why would you not buy a whole fish? How can you check for freshness sans gills and eyes? Not to mention the lovely cheeks, which are the best bit.

While I see your point, I'm fucked if I'm taking a whole salmon or tuna back on the bus. My fridge isn't big enough for a start.

• Made this for @Trainee1985 yesterday. Simple chicken wrap + salsa + tasty mayo recipe. Very simplistic but if you grill the chicken right it's excellent.

Tortillas
    2 x free range chicken breast
    3 of the best tomatoes you can find
    Large red onion sliced fine
    5 spring onions sliced fine, dark green tops saved to one side
    3 limes
    1 lemon
    Teaspoon dried thyme
    Teaspoon garlic granules
    Teaspoon smoked paprika
    Teaspoon pepper
    Teaspoon salt
    Teaspoon sugar
    4 mini sweet pickled onions, or whatever you have, minced up
    Half a cup of mayo
    Olive oil

Take the chicken breasts and butterfly them, then score deeply in a criss-cross pattern on both sides. In a container mix the marinade: juice of 2 limes, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime, half the sliced red onion, 3 spring onions (other than tops), thyme, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and half a teaspoon of sugar. Leave for a couple of hours, turning and rubbing marinade in often.

Make salsa by de-seeding tomatoes and finely dicing then mixing with the remaining red onion and spring onion. Add juice of 1 lime and half a lemon, pepper and some olive oil. Leave without mixing in the fridge, then just before serving add salt and mix everything together.

Make some tangy mayo by mixing it with the pickled onions, spring onion tops, a little garlic and smoked paprika powders, juice of half a lemon, half a teaspoon of sugar and salt and pepper.

To grill the chicken, get your thickest griddle pan screamingly hot by leaving on the maximum heat for 20 minutes plus. In the meantime, preheat your overhead grill in the oven to maximum as well. Rub off pieces of marinade then turn a couple of times as it chars on the hob, then place directly under the grill. Your oven will fill with smoke, which is good. Take it out when it's blackened quite a bit, rest then slice at an angle. While it's resting griddle the rest of the marinade in the same pan, throw in a slash of beer, and use what's produced in the wraps.

Scare some tortillas in a very hot pan, add everything, wrap up and enjoy.

The quest to make food tasty without being spicy continues.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Today's food was an exercise in simplicity - and a hot tip we'd been given about soba in Akihabara. Lovely old fashioned building, and they had three things on the menu. I took their Kare Soba which is with a hot broth, but may go back tomorrow for cold stuff. They make their own buckwheat soba noodles on the premises and they're lovely and thick and just the right consistency. The broth was meaty and fishy and clear as you like, and with just some thin slices of spring onions on the side. They said to put some togarashi in once you'd had half to get a spicy broth as a counterpart, and that was amazing too. One of the best things we've had since we've arrived.

Ol0rhaw.png
  • The quest to make food tasty without being spicy continues.

Add more butter and salt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!