Now eating/drinking
  • In reds Manchester, probably wrong day/weather for this but burnt ends be good.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I was supposed to be going there with lass who mentalled out the other day. Jealous.
  • I'm at a comedy thing so missing dinner. Gonna get Lebanese on the way home
  • Bitches be crazy....

Kong longboard lager and smashing pumpkins beat the heat.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Good bark on that? The outer crust, falling off the meat but a little crunchy and intense with seasoning is my favourite bit.
  • It was just short of proper crunchy, seasoned well.

I think you would approve of the place.
    Can-of-sprite
  • OK, how about cucumber salad with rice vinegar, fish sauce and lime dressing?

1 cucumber, peeled, split down the middle and deseeded, then sliced into 5mm thick slices.

4 spring onions sliced.

2 red chillies thinly sliced.

Shallots or sweet mild onions, whatever you can get out there. About the equivalent amount as a large onion, very thinly sliced.

A handful of toasted cashew nuts.

Handful of chopped coriander.

Handful of chopped mint.

Mix it all up in a bowl.

For the dressing, 4tbsp rice vinegar (I'm assuming this is available?)
    5tbsp fish sauce
    1tbsp (give or take) palm sugar or brown sugar.
    Juice of one lime.

So I made this.

Wasn't able to get the mint - herbs are an absolute pain to get here as the Chinese tend not to use green herbs much in their cooking. So, it's dried or nowt, and even among the dried selection there was no mint.

So, dropped that, but did the rest as ordered.

Absolutely lush, loved it. I upped the chilli content, admittedly, but otherwise stuck to the plan. Cool, refreshing, tangy, the first mouthful was a proper surprise. Will make it again later in the week.

Thanks goobs. Any more no-fuss stuff you know?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Really pleased you liked it. I'll post a couple more after work if you like.
  • I'd love that, yeah, thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Switch the cucumber for thinly sliced grilled beef and you have another Thai favorite. Get some seeds and grow your own herbs.
  • Yeah, the herb growing is something I will definitely do - I actually did that before and was a godsend, but when I moved to Hainan I didn't pick it back up again. Gonna move in October probs (closer to uni) and I'll grow ma own.

I'll pass on the beef, though - it sucks here. Locals don't seem to mind - beef is beef to them, but growing up on a farm raised my standards somewhat.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Throw in some prawns stir-fryed with garlic and ginger paste if you want something a bit more substantial.
  • Aye, considered prawns when I finished eating it. Not that it was missing anything, was just pondering variations. Prawns are totes plentiful here, cheap and delicious.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Salted Caramel Häagen-Dazs - one of the great ice-cream flavours.

I'm lovin' this shit.

Ice cream place here does an apple pie ice cream where they mash an apple pie through creamy vanilla with a bit o spice. It's one of my favourite things

• Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Man, that sounds awesome.

I recently had the perfect banoffee pie in ice cream form. No doubt that will become one of my favourites.
  • Sounds utterly gluttonous. Did none of you guys think that maybe this is why ISIS hates us?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tomato salad.

Get as many different varieties of tomatoes as you can, slice them up and layer them on a serving plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.

Slice a red onion into wafer thin rings, and soak in some white wine/rice vinegar or white balsamic for about 5 minutes. Layer them on the tomatoes.

Make a dressing with a minced clove of garlic, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon vinegar (whatever white vinegar you have), 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix it well and drizzle on top.

If you can get it, fresh basil leaves and mozzarella goes perfectly to.

• Goober, the tomatoes down here. I don't remember them being this good in Southern France. I had an amazing one in Turkey once and these aren't far off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Smuggle one back in your suitcase for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some chilled coffee shot out of the vending machine from downstairs. "MORNING GLORY SHOT" it's called and I lolled.
  • They new what they were doing.
  • Tomato salad.

Get as many different varieties of tomatoes as you can, slice them up and layer them on a serving plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.

Slice a red onion into wafer thin rings, and soak in some white wine/rice vinegar or white balsamic for about 5 minutes. Layer them on the tomatoes.

Make a dressing with a minced clove of garlic, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon vinegar (whatever white vinegar you have), 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix it well and drizzle on top.

If you can get it, fresh basil leaves and mozzarella goes perfectly to.

Awesome, thanks. I'll see what I can grab and try to make something approaching this today. Excitement.
  • Tried the above.

Shame I couldn't get mozzarella and basil as I always tend to have those with toms when I do tomato salads. Also, rock salt was a no go.

But, I really liked it. It was the red onion in vinegar that made it.

For some reason, nowhere sells cherry tomatoes right now, so I just had some biggies and checked in some sun dried tomatoes too. Those combined with the dressing made a really nice lunch.

I think I overdid the Dijon a bit - taste was fine, but maybe my teaspoon was overly generous as I wasn't really able to "drizzle" - I shall adjust next time.

Overall, satisfying as fuck and I'll adjust the proportions next time. I also bought another cucumber, some cashews and a lime to do a repeat of yesterday's salad for dinner.

I'm also in the process of trying to source some good beef, so I can do the suggestion @Kow put forward.

If its not too much bother, I'd be more than happy to try out more recipes for salads and simple non-oven dishes people have. I seriously fucking love cooking (and eating) but I'll admit I've gotten a bit lazy the last year or two, Chinese food excepted.

The last two days have been good for food. Thanks.
  • Make a mexican ceviche.
  • Made chicken, hot dogs and BBQ sauce for @Cherry_Pez and @woodimari last night, think it went down well.

thread makes me want a thai style papaya salad.
  • n0face wrote:
    Make a mexican ceviche.

No fuss, China-possible recipe, please.
  • It's just fish lime juice and salad really

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/mexican-ceviche-8899

Coriander is going to be the hard bit to replace.
  • n0face wrote:
    It's just fish lime juice and salad really

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/mexican-ceviche-8899

Coriander is going to be the hard bit to replace.

Can do most of that. Coriander is fine...they use it plenty over here. Some other things are trickier - black olives, specific fish, avacado...but could be doable with effort and planning.

• Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I can see why London has good places to eat and in many ways is the most exciting scene in Europe, bit what the uber rich fail to understand is that if the if the produce is this good innovation is unnecessary. Slice some tomatoes, eat. Buy bread. The best food is simple. Poor food.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!