Visual novels AKA the tale of the worn out X/A button
  • Who likes visual novels? I do! Anyone Else?!

What is a Visual Novel?

Well you can look at this Wikipedia Article for a comprehensive idea but I'll take a punt at describing below. A visual novel is basically a super low interactive game, you mostly (say 80%+) move the plot forward through pressing the main button on your controller of choice. In general the games a played from a first person perspective (but sometimes you can see your character) and you walk around locations talking to various people. You get some choice in the order of who you talk to but essentially you'll end up getting all the information you need to progress. In several games these non interactive bits are punctuated by interactive more game like elements (puzzles, legal arguments). 

Perhaps the earliest ones most people here will remember will be the Phoenix Wright ones on Nintendo DS. The game's are now available on IOS and 3DS.

Essentially the story of a defense lawyer you got to crime scenes and learn information from people and picking up evidence then use this information to pick out contradictions in witness statements. 

The first one I properly got into was Virtue's Last Reward - a 3DS/Vita sequel to the DS game Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

In VLR the game tasks a number of people to escape a locked down facility. They need to work together to solve the puzzle of the facility and get out. 

Between discussions the story has puzzle box rooms (escape the room type puzzles) where the aim is to escape the facility while gathering information to move the story forward. 

The most recent one I've enjoyed could be considered a cross between Phoenix Wright and VLR. The game is [url=Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc]Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc[/url] on VITA and it's sequel Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Dangan Ronpa starts off with a class of school kids who actually end up locked in the school forever! Oh No. What Follows is a series of murders and class trials to figure out 'whodunnit'.

One special mention I would also like to give is Christine Love's Digital: A love story (a free download!). Not strictly speaking a visual novel, it's mostly text, but text that mirrors the bulletin board- old internet style. You play a person surfing around bulletin boards in the early nineties but stumble onto a mystery. The sequel: Analogue: A hate story takes the more traditional visual novel form.

Anyway a space here to talk about your finds (I've focussed on console ones here but the form is certainly healthy in the PC space) and fun experiences.

Naturally as the basis of these games are plots please be careful about spoilers!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Do Another Code / Hotel Dusk (both on DS) count as well? Never been really sure where the line between point and click and visual novel is.

I played through 999 twice, still 3 endings left for that one, just finished the 3DS Phoenix Wright game (need to get DLC), and was surprised to find the original 3 in the eshop today. Will be purchased at some point, I have the first, 2nd was on my R4 card and I could never find the 3rd in shops.

Love playing these when in bed. The interactiveness is just enough to keep you going, but not so much to keep you awake when the 3ds has been shut down. Looks like I have one more reason to hurry up and get a Vita, haven't heard of the Dangan Ronpa game before.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm quite tempted by danganronpa, but I'm convinced they'll be way cheaper than £34.99 at some point soon. Mayber not, but am willing to hold out.

Not played 999, but VLR was strangely engrossing. Not played many others - should try Phoenix Wright really.
  • Yeah we'll include anything reasonable.

According to the wiki article the ones I posted wouldnt even ve counted as pure visual novels (too much game).

I have another code on wii which I need to play.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    My Another Code for the Wii is still sealed, just doesn't suit a console as well as a handheld, imo.

And Ace, really, give Phoenix Wright a go, I love them. 999 (and I guess VLR as well) have a fairly dark tone to them, Phoenix is the opposite. While playing the last game (it was 50% off a while ago, but it's worth full price) I was charmed loads by the writing style. Some clever things going on, and loads of puns.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm quite tempted by danganronpa, but I'm convinced they'll be way cheaper than £34.99 at some point soon. Mayber not, but am willing to hold out.

Edit: Heh, why is my response part of the quote?

I picked 'em both up for < half price in psn sales. It's likely they'll be back on sale again (maybe over Xmas).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I loved Phoenix 1 & 2 but just couldn't get into Trials and Tribulations. Think the format had gotten far too samey. Same with Apollo.

Some memorable tunes from the series though.
  • They're not for me.

I tried the first Phoenix Wright on DS and was completely bored by about the 3rd case. I think I took it back and exchanged it for an actual game.

Pressing a button to scroll through text for hours on end isn't what I signed up for, and especially when the puzzles themselves just aren't that great.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Who should I listen to?!?

This thread is turning into a visual novel in its own right...
  • They are deffo polarising. If you can't dig that manga type melodrama then it'll be difficult to like. But they are fun. It's worth finding a cheap one and see how you go (one on the ds might be a good start).
  • Hatoful Boyfriend is the only one of these I've been vaguely interested in recently and possibly ever. I think they're basically retarded.
  • I really enjoyed Phoenix Wright 1 & 2 but then lost interest after. I think part of the problem was knowing exactly what was wrong with a person's statement, but you have to ask at the right time or present the right evidence etc. Got annoying.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's the thing with point and clicks as well. They rely on a very strict train of logic and even if you can come up with your own decent ways to solve a problem, even with items you have in your inventory, you can't.
  • Yep it is a mega irritation that.

@Brooks what distinguishes hatoful for you? I must admit that I am tempted to pick up from gog sale. The form on a bigger screen (compared to handhelds) makes it less attractive.
  • Just the premise.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I loved the two Hotel Dusk games.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Meanwhile (ios) is on sale at the moment. Edge seemed to like it, I think they gave it an 8, which is why I stuck it on my wishlist. I didn't read the review at the time, but it turns out that it's an interactive comic thing.

I probably won't get it, but thought I'd share. It was 69p a few years ago, but £1.49 is the cheapest it's been since.

http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/meanwhile-review/
  • Brooks wrote:
    Hatoful Boyfriend is the only one of these I've been vaguely interested in recently and possibly ever. I think they're basically retarded.

My exams finish next Tuesday. My plan is, once finished, to go through Hatoful Boyfriend and spam that thread you started.

Also, Hatoful Boyfriend Vita port, yay!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!