Gaming Memories - What brings it all back?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Was driving back from the office yesterday, had the iPod on shuffle (sure we used to call it random) and on pops Birthday Cake by Cibo Matto. Hadn't heard it in a while and immediately reminded of Jet Set Radio Future. 

I really liked the flow and feel of this game and the soundtrack was amazing.

Listening to that song made me want to play JSRF again, one of my many games I didn't finish, but the memories were great.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    99 lutballon always makes me think of GTA vice city. And Grosse point blank, not even sure it was in that film but hey ho.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    GPB what a great film, with one of the best fight scenes ever :-)
  • Kind of self induced, but at work if I jump in the passenger seat of a car I'll often say, "Let's go, Mr. Driver," and then I wish any of our controllers was called Nancy.
  • If I drive past broken down cars I'll occasionally mutter contender eliminated for my own amusement.

Any time I hear the golden axe theme tune thoughbrings a massive nostalgia rush.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Only slightly related, but I still have the fucking theme from OG Pokémon stuck in my head.
  • I find music to be the biggest factor in inducing nostalgia. I have my favourite game soundtracks on my iPhone and whenever I give a soundtrack a listen, I really badly miss the game and want to either play it or wish I could relive the classic moments such as landing on Halo for first time, fighting schoolmates on SF2 in arcades etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • not game soundtracks so much for me, but when i was younger, i would often put music on in the background while playing.  as i didn't have much money, i wouldn't be buying new music/games often...so it ended up certain cds would get many repeat listenings while playing a particular game, and they've got tied up in my memory.  it's all subconscious now, but if i hear a certain song or think of particular albums my brain is just flooded with the memory of playing a particular game.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There's a certain women's perfume that reminds me of queuing up to buy Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System. I was around ten or eleven, and the middle aged lady in front of us had applied more than finger dabs behind the ears. I still smell it on people every now and then, but I've got no idea what the scent is called. It's probably such a strong memory because I was crushingly disappointed at this stage of our shopping trip, and Index (I think) was the last place we could try, as everywhere else had sold out. I walked out with Sonic AND Castle of Illusuion in the greatest ever Birthday and Christmas combined deal. It's definitely a happy smell.
  • not game soundtracks so much for me, but when i was younger, i would often put music on in the background while playing.  as i didn't have much money, i wouldn't be buying new music/games often...so it ended up certain cds would get many repeat listenings while playing a particular game, and they've got tied up in my memory.  it's all subconscious now, but if i hear a certain song or think of particular albums my brain is just flooded with the memory of playing a particular game.
    Yeah, I've got that with certain albums. Usually things that came out around the same time.

For example, The People Under the Stairs OST reminds me of Smash Bros. on the Gamecube.
  • There is a road in south london called Glenburnie where there used to be a chip shop when I was in primary school. It was the first place I ever saw Street Fighter 2 (and subsequently knightmare edition). Everytime I go past it to see my parents I drive past it and it takes me back.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • This thread has brought back memories that People Under The Stairs exists.  Amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Mambo No.5 was playing when I spotted a long sought CIB copy of Super Puzzle Figher 2 Turbo for Saturn - it's even in the hard case which is the superior version of the usually dodgy PAL Saturn packaging.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Any time I hear anything from Marty O'Donnell I immediately get transported back to 2001.
  • The laugh at 29secs in this reminds me of Streets of Rage II, because I played the game before I knew the track, and they use the same sample:

(It's how the fat blokes laugh in SOR2).
  • The most evocative song in my gaming career:

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    There is a road in south london called Glenburnie where there used to be a chip shop when I was in primary school. It was the first place I ever saw Street Fighter 2 (and subsequently knightmare edition). Everytime I go past it to see my parents I drive past it and it takes me back.

The place (a pub) where I used to play Streetfighter II is now a McDonalds :-(
  • This thread reminds me of the ones that were printed in Edge. Must think of something witty and worthy of print, damnit.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    The presence of online/offline used to encourage some interesting threads and responses, kinda miss that actually.
  • Well, people would try to start an interesting thread, then everyone else would go "ooooh you just want in online/offline" ;)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I walked out with Sonic AND Castle of Illusuion in the greatest ever Birthday and Christmas combined deal.

Damn good choices my man.

Christmas in general reminds me of a lot of games, because it was often only Christmas or birthdays I'd get new games. Castle of Illusion was a good year :)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    When I was sub 10 years old I was addicted to Sam & Max Hit the Road on my dad's laptop. Even learnt the DOS commands to run it. When he took me for trips in his old VW I remember sometimes acting out him being Sam and me Max for entire journeys.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    I walked out with Sonic AND Castle of Illusuion in the greatest ever Birthday and Christmas combined deal.
    Damn good choices my man.

The definitive Illusion title.  Preferred it to the MD Castle at the time, and it holds up better too.  At the time I convinced myself Sonic was better on the MS too.  I still prefer it, but it isn't as good as the MD one.
  • I never had a Mega Drive so can't compare. I still have my Master System in the living room. In fact when we got our brand new HD tv a few years ago did I hook up the 360 or the PS3 for some up to date, HD gaming finally? Nope. Master System and Psycho Fox. Good times.

Every once in a while the urge hits me to play Ecco the Dolphin. It usually only takes about 10 minutes for me to remember why I never play that fucking game and throw my controller down in petulant fury.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Use the code!

Go and see old Blue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!