PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    90. The Banshees of Inisherin
    Just an absolute pleasure of a film. There’s not really anywhere to hide so performances and dialogue are front and centre, and thankfully both are strong enough to make a fairly simple story entirely engrossing. Pitch black comedy at points with a streak of tragedy running through. Stunning scenery make for an incredible backdrop to Farrell and Gleeson putting on a masterclass. A must watch. [9]
  • Dammit I might try and rock up with a free ticket tomorrow night. If no seats, it’ll just be a waste of petrol and half an hour drive. Will check seating online before I leave though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 66. Day Shift
    Jamie Fox is a vampire hunter in LA who needs to get $10k of vamp fangs to save his family from moving to Florida. It's a horror/action/comedy that doesn't do any of those three things particularly well. There's a couple of decent action sequences, a couple of decent laughs and some half hearted gore. First half is promising, but it soon deteriorates into pretty dire shite. Special mention to the totally awful soundtrack and cinematography which makes it look like a TV movie at best. 4
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Deadstream [2022] Shudder Comedy-horror mashup, cancelled streamer tries to revive his career by livestreaming from America's Most Haunted House. Clearly low budget. Really well done send up of annoying Youtube/Twitch cunts interspersed with decent, silly, fun horror nonsense. A little overlong even at 90 minutes, could prob chop off 10/15 minutes. Surprisingly enjoyable however and glad I watched it. [7]
    Ah I’m gonna have to check this out as well - just skimmed thru bits of VHS99 but ended up watching all of the “To Hell and Back” section and loved it. Googling who directed it and what else they’ve done and sounds like I might have a new current favourite horror comedy team in Joseph and Vanessa Winter.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
    I mean I wasn't really expecting much, but jesus, really quite bad.  I'm not sure it even kept the kids entertained, which was obviously the main reason for being there.  Like a [3] from me, as a grown adult.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    66. Day Shift
    Jamie Fox is a vampire hunter in LA who needs to get $10k of vamp fangs to save his family from moving to Florida. It's a horror/action/comedy that doesn't do any of those three things particularly well. There's a couple of decent action sequences, a couple of decent laughs and some half hearted gore. First half is promising, but it soon deteriorates into pretty dire shite. Special mention to the totally awful soundtrack and cinematography which makes it look like a TV movie at best. 4

nah-jake-gyllenhaal-gif-10833955.gif
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
    I mean I wasn't really expecting much, but jesus, really quite bad.  I'm not sure it even kept the kids entertained, which was obviously the main reason for being there.  Like a [3] from me, as a grown adult.

Saw the trailer before Jurassic World. It looked abysmal.
  • 123. Barbarian
    This is quite a lot of fun but I think a lot of the higher review scores would have come from people who knew literally nothing about it. I tried to be like that but even though that's the narrative around the film the marketing does not seem to care about that and even though I tried to avoid as much as I could some stuff slipped through for me. So yes, try to go in not knowing anything if you can.
    [6]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've avoided everything and can't wait to see it, think it leaks today also.
  • Gremill wrote:
    66. Day Shift

nah-jake-gyllenhaal-gif-10833955.gif

You liked that pish? Fucking hell Sparkles, are you ok?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hellraiser (1987)  Still a fine show and with great old effects. The imagination on show here is still extremely impressive.

Left Behind Nicholas Cage stars in this film with him as a two timing passenger jet pilot trying to land after The Rapture. Feels like a TV movie. Disaster movie for Christian fundamentalists. Extremely ropey but I had to keep watching to see if they rode this idea all the way. Complete with Christian Country Rapture song over the end credits.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've avoided everything and can't wait to see it, think it leaks today also.

Is this it? Looks great.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    ‘Disaster movie for Christian fundamentalists’ is a great line.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    91. The Kid Who Would Be King
    I went in with fairly low expectations for this and it still managed to underwhelm. Maybe it’s pitched more squarely for kids than families, though I can’t imagine kids have much more patience for the bloated run time. Ponderous and fairly boring given the subject matter. Most of the kids are bland with Merlin the clear standout. The action was functional and effects decent, there were some good moments but the weaknesses stand out much more unfortunately. [4]
  • 55. Decision to Leave - 14/10
    Chan-Wook's latest is typically twisty turny but sometimes a tad confusing. Lots of humour and an interesting to watch story of lies and desire and unfulfilled relationships. Just wish it was easier to follow.
    [7]

56. The Two Towers (Extended) - 16/10
    Epic epic EPIC - a step up from Fellowship and as entertaining as it ever was.
    [9]

57. The Return of the King (Extended) - 23/10
    After all these years, it is still so impressive what they did with the trilogy. Turned up to 11 on all fronts. A wonderful father-son time watching the three films together.
    [9]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Red Lights Intriguing and very good drama about fake psychic/paranormal investigators with a supreme cast - De Niro, Sigourney Weaver, Cillian Big Eyes, Toby Jones and Joely Richardson.   Never heard of this but it's an unusual and entertaining film. Worth a watch.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    55. Decision to Leave - 14/10 Chan-Wook's latest is typically twisty turny but sometimes a tad confusing. Lots of humour and an interesting to watch story of lies and desire and unfulfilled relationships. Just wish it was easier to follow. 7

Looking forward to that. Did you see it at the cinema or is it streaming somewhere?
  • At the cinema… with *spit* Muzzy. 

Probably an 8, but to be honest, but I didn’t feel like it did the longing/desire stuff that well.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    92. Gods and Monsters
    Drama based on the latter years of director James Whale as he battles with the effects of a stroke and forms a relationship with his young gardener. McKellan is on great form here and the film does some interesting things interspersing flashbacks as Whale recounts his memories but mixed with fever dream mash ups of his life and his films. There are some odd tonal shifts and Brendan Fraser isn't quite strong enough opposite McKellan but it addresses themes of homosexuality and masculinity head on, as well as how degenerative disease affects quality of life. It's engaging but felt like it didn't quite have the impact intended and probably won't live long in the memory. [7]
  • 123. Barbarian This is quite a lot of fun but I think a lot of the higher review scores would have come from people who knew literally nothing about it. I tried to be like that but even though that's the narrative around the film the marketing does not seem to care about that and even though I tried to avoid as much as I could some stuff slipped through for me. So yes, try to go in not knowing anything if you can. [6]

Watched this aft. Reckon 6/7 is about right. I knew nothing going in, other than the one line description on IMDb. Enjoyed it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 124. Pearl
    Well this was excellent. As fun as X was I think this was a more better film with Mia Goth really nailing the lead performance. A whole heap of fun and such a clever use of the resources they had for X.
    [8]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Neither the Sea nor the Sand is a British film adaptation of a novel by Gordon Honeycombe who was a newsreader on ITV/TV-AM.  Was quite a suave guy in his mature years and at 6'4'' cut quite a figure and was the housewives' choice in various polls. Made a career as voice talent, stage acting and a novelist and playwright.

Anyhoo - it's an odd film - best described as a supernatural love story. It's made in the 70s and is replete with a couple of quite racy love scenes. Stars a Brit actress called Susan Hampshire who is at her peak beauty in this - I only ever saw her in things when she was a bit older. She is very expressive in this and it's a great acting turn which makes me think she was criminally under-used in the following years.

A neat little story delivered with some competence; albeit with a fair share of wooden support. Comes across as above TV-film but a bit below a full feature. It's quite slow paced but remains watchable.
  • Watched a short documentary on that on Youtube recently, looked interesting. It's on the list.
  • 67. Pontypool
    Low budget Canadian horror set almost entirely in a local radio station in an old church basement during a winter storm, where it becomes clear from callers, police radio and their traffic reporter that something is going very, very wrong indeed outside. Anchored by a brilliant turn by the lead actor, it incredibly manages to offer something new and unusual to the overcrowded zombie genre - grim, original and apocalyptic. 9
  • Wanted to sit and enjoy a movie tonight but some cunts are doing fireworks and it’s too noisy.
  • Luckiest Girl Alive
    The blurb and thumbnails made this look like a romcom about a big wedding. It’s not. It’s really not. Mila Kunis knocks it out of the park as a victim of teenage trauma wrestling with whether to chase revenge or rise above.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Skim reading that led me to wonder briefly if Teenage Trauma Wrestling was another niche activity I'd never heard of.
  • Now you’ve typed it, it probably is. That’s how the internet works.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Banshees of Inisherin

Farrell reminds us of his acting credentials in this superb bitter sweet comedy/drama set in Civil War era Ireland. Some magnificent support of the 2 leads (Gleeson is as brilliant as you would expect) and the locations/sets/aerial shots are stunning. Loved it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!