Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • There's Webbins there man. Your Dune review sucks smelly tiddlers

Needed yer man Gordon Sumner to raise me pulse.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 6.5 seems fair.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    @Elf I confused the October dates for scores briefly and thought you were being quite harsh.
    Haha. I should probably ditch the dates. I just like to see how often I watch stuff etc.
    This was the crux of my joke :-/
    Can’t wait until next weekend when everything gets 9/10

D'oh! Genuinely did not pick up on that...
  • I got it dads don't worry.

Northman - was enjoyable, well made etc but pretty unoriginal I thought. Didn't get into it until the second half either. Much prefer The Lighthouse. Still, a reasonable 7/10.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How are you reviewing a film you’re not watching until tomorrow?
  • *clap clap clap*
  • Webbins wrote:
    Doing a slack job of updating my list. Up to 94 watched, 60–69 below. Still way off Shabs, the movieman.

I stalled for a while there after MIFF but I'm picking it back up again now. Halloween season helps!

Work has been an absolute nightmare lately with staffing issues being combined with having a new-ish direct manager who, it turns out, is a grade-a Cunt. So I took a day off for stress management and spent nearly the whole day at the cinema. Was going to watch See How They Run as well but the morning got busy. These movies were all playing essentially one after the other. Never done 3 cinema movies in one day, went alright even though the movies weren't that great. Was a good way to distract from the depressive feelings.

115. SMILE
    Had a fun, if unoriginal premise, and some great cinematography but it just never made good use of it and went for Conjuring style jumps instead of being creepy. Could have been good if it was creepy. Also not sure what point it was trying to make about mental health stuff. Very good cast of people that you recognise from bit parts in other things, including yer boi from Dinner in America DS.
    [4]

116. Orphan: First Kill
    So weird to see the old Dark Castle Productions logo at the start of this, feel like I haven't seen it in years. Looks like it hasn't been upressed or updated in years either. This was a silly film. Kind of fun though although it just never really did anything to make it worthwhile
    [5]

117. Fall
    Pretty dang good film about two people stuck on a super high radio tower. Considering the fairly low budget there was only a handful of shots that didn't land and they managed to get a good sense of vertigo going throughout. It pinches various plot elements from better films but I still had a lot of fun with this. Can't believe it got a cinema release really. Makes me wish Come True had one.
    [7]
  • I liked Fall too, would recommend. Not gonna hit any best of year lists but for what it was, and the low budget, it did fine.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I found out that the queen was dead when coming out of the cinema after watching Fall. Decent film aside from some awful special effects, although these were mainly prominent because most of it was shot really well. Just read elsewhere that it was shot in IMAX format which would've been terrifying.

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/how-they-filmed-fall-exclusive/
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cruel Intentions

Loved this film growing up. First watch in about 20 years. Still a fucking banger, ending is sublime. [9]
  • High five to that, DS. Fucking banger, confirmed.
  • Missus tried to tell me that's based on a Shakespeare play the other week. I love correcting her on things. She, understandably, doesn't.
  • That reminds me, Hell or Highwater's on All4.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Deadstream [2022] Shudder

Comedy-horror mashup, cancelled streamer tries to revive his career by livestreaming from America's Most Haunted House.

Clearly low budget.

Really well done send up of annoying Youtube/Twitch cunts interspersed with decent, silly, fun horror nonsense. A little overlong even at 90 minutes, could prob chop off 10/15 minutes. Surprisingly enjoyable however and glad I watched it. [7]
  • 63. Prey
    Far better than it has any right to be, this is the second best Predator film. It's a great idea setting it in 18th century America and an even better idea making the focus a Cherokee tribe. The lead is amazing (but then, having the name Amber Midthunder probably gives her a head start on being amazing) and action scenes are superb. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Woman in Black is a good old fashioned period ghost story. Daniel Radcliffe looks born to play this type of role as he fits that period look. Great sets and locations helps generate a brilliant atmosphere - a real creepy work that doesn't overdo the jumps. Great support not least from Ciaran Hinds. Good stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 64. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Never seen this before now, but boy did it live up to its reputation. It's not that scary, it's not that explicitly violent and it has some really questionable acting - but holy fuck has it got atmosphere to spare. I wasn't prepared for just how weird, creepy and unsettling it is. Superb. 9
  • Yeah it's great. I watched it again last year or the year before and was suprised at how well it holds up. Helps that it's made kind of documentary style and the iconic scare moments were so well executed.
    I'd forgotten how creepy the opening credits are too.

118. Hellraiser (2022) 
    Fuuuuck, why did this have to suck! Such a good director and such good source material but it just wasn't really good at all. I think it suffers from the Boba Fett effect. Sure the character kinda looked cool standing there but that's not what that film was about and I really don't care to have another thing made that's more about that character instead of telling a good story. The biggest shame is that it wasn't even scary or unsettling. Both of Bruckner's previous films really got under my skin and this should have been the perfect setting for that but it just didn't. There's some cool practical set and SFX work in this but it's all for nothing. Need to go back to the original now to remind myself of what a good Hellraiser film is.
    [3]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    87. After Yang
    Low key sci-fi following a father’s attempts to save his daughters android companion. One of the best opening credit sequences I’ve seen followed by a slow but engrossing quest which morphs into a look at what it means to be human. A beautifully stylised and shot film that unfolds expertly to reveal real depth. It’s very much up my street so ymmv but I loved it. [9]
  • Ooh another that's on my to watch list!  How'd you watch it?
  • 54. The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended) - 8/10
    Not as impressive visually as upon release, but still an epic. In contrast to the later Hobbit film(s), even the extended version is better paced and more tolerable in its longer scenes. The Boy enjoyed it too and seems to have taken a liking to Aragorn/Viggo.
    [8]
  • Cos wrote:
    87. After Yang
    Low key sci-fi following a father’s attempts to save his daughters android companion. One of the best opening credit sequences I’ve seen followed by a slow but engrossing quest which morphs into a look at what it means to be human. A beautifully stylised and shot film that unfolds expertly to reveal real depth. It’s very much up my street so ymmv but I loved it. [9]
    Is that the one with Colin Farrell? Just started showing on Sky?
  • FFS I was hoping the new Hellraiser would be good.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    FFS I was hoping the new Hellraiser would be good.

Started it with the missus last night but she fell asleep, gonna be finishing tonight so will give you another data point at least.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Cos wrote:
    87. After Yang Low key sci-fi following a father’s attempts to save his daughters android companion. One of the best opening credit sequences I’ve seen followed by a slow but engrossing quest which morphs into a look at what it means to be human. A beautifully stylised and shot film that unfolds expertly to reveal real depth. It’s very much up my street so ymmv but I loved it. [9]
    Is that the one with Colin Farrell? Just started showing on Sky?

Yeah, that’s the one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watched that a while back. Its a lovely little indie.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Started it with the missus last night but she fell asleep, gonna be finishing tonight so will give you another data point at least.

I'll be interested to see what you think.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Sentinel May well have Michael Douglas, Keifer Sutherland, Eva Longoria, Kim Basinger and Martin Donavon in the cast, but it's still a hokey old "plot to kill the President" tale - and for a while the 60-odd yo Douglas's character does a mini-Bourne and goes on the run while a suspect which requires a small amount of suspension of belief - but he just about does it if you don't look too closely. Good enough entertainment but I detect some ropey editing which may be masking a slightly better film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Shabs was right btw, disappointing. I'd go 5/10 just because the lament configuration always looks cool.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!