Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Was an odd one.  Seemed to suddenly ramp up the crazy towards the end iirc.

Edit:  Recent-ish Evil Dead remake
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    The Evil Dead sort-of remake from a few years back is also well worth checking out. It dials down the humour and dials up the blood and guts.

Heh....heard it's bonkers. Will check it out at some point. I forgot how much I like this series of films. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    The Evil Dead sort-of remake from a few years back is also well worth checking out. It dials down the humour and dials up the blood and guts.

Agree, one of the remake/reboots that aren't entirely shite
  • I actually have that on DVD and remember thinking it was _okay_ but that's it. I'll give it a rewatch. Nearly a decade old now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oohh I forgot about the remake, I'll watch it after worm.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oohh I forgot about the remake, I'll watch it after worm.

I’m genuinely surprised you haven’t seen it yet.  It goes for the over-the-topedness of gore factors of Raimi’s first two films with an obviously upsized budget.  I went in expecting absolutely nothing and came out well surprised.  And for the record, I’m really not the sort of person who’s all that bothered whether or a horror film is drenched in blood.  I always prefer atmosphere, but nu Evil Dead was a well made redux of the original, I thought.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I had seen it on release, just forgot it existed. Didn't get round to it tonight, but will give it a crack soon. I remember enjoying it but it lacked the humour of the originals.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Army of Darkness. Hadn't seen this before. Somehow went under my radar. It's completely daft and bonkers but it's a great laugh and pile of fun. The old effects make it even more so. With CGI this would have lost something. 

This must have been a mountain of craic to make. It's disposable to a certain degree but it's also a great quirky way to end the series.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Army of Darkness is a massive pile of nonsense. In every way.
    Get schwifty.
  • 62. 28 Weeks Later
    Only ever seen this once before and I remember being a bit underwhelmed by it, but really liked it this time. It's got a great cast, some memorable images and some horrific violence. It's not as good as the original, but it's still pretty great. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Going back to Devil Dead, I think people may be misremembering if they think it was a series horror. At the the time its gore and horror was all anyone noticed, but it's actually a very funny film, hitting lots of black comedy notes. For me, it's a far superior film to the out and out comedy of the the sequels.
  • I had seen it on release, just forgot it existed. Didn't get round to it tonight, but will give it a crack soon. I remember enjoying it but it lacked the humour of the originals.

I'm a big fan of the remake. Makes me squirm at a few points
  • 50. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 25/9
    Great for eyes and ears but again way too long and so much they could have cut out. Could’ve been great.
    [6]

51. The Shape of Water - 1/10
    Hardly any originality to the story but beautiful to watch. Found the relationship between the lead and the merman unconvincing (and cringeworthy at times) but I was still glued to the screen throughout.
    [8]

52. Far Far Away - 2/10
    Low budget indie Hong Kong comedy romance about a 28 year old IT geek who is finding it hard to date and strike up a relationship with a girl.  Cue friends trying to hook him up and old acquaintances making appearances and other opportunities arising for him - and these take him to far and even remote corners of Hong Kong.
    Some of the jokes were either lost in translation or you had to be Chinese - whilst I often smiled and lauged, out loud on more than one occasion, there were moments where the Chinese-majority audience in the cinema were in hysterics.
    I don't know if the actors were professionals or not, but the performances were good and very believable.
    One of the main reasons I wanted to watch it was the promise of seeing Hong Kong outside of the main city, which itself I am fascinated by.  It didn't disappoint and there were some beautiful scenes in locations that made me want to visit even more than before.
    Took a chance on this and I am glad I got to see it, specially with a nice Q&A session at the end with the director via Zoom video call.
    [8]

53. See How They Run - 2/10
    Plenty of this fell flat for me.  The split frame style used on occasion didn't work for me, the performances were unconvincing, the comic writing was off (although I got one or two laughs out of it) and I was rolling my eyes a fair bit.  Completely avergae in every respect.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Can’t wait until next weekend when everything gets 9/10
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 113. Buried
    Remember when Ryan Reynolds did acting and would only occasionally throw in an RR style joke here and there. I feel like he's always been a pretty good actor. This isn't as good as some of his other more serious roles but considering it's a guy in a box for 90 mins it does pretty well with it. Just gets a little overblown at times to try and make it more exciting than it needed to be.
    [5]

114. The Hunger
    A rather sexy style over substance "vampire" movie from Tony Scott. I don't mind pure style movies - and I liked how this one used editing to convey the vampire effects - but it does also try and have some real story threads and when those threads are started but then forgotten it just makes for an unsatisfying movie.
    [4 swooshy lace curtains out of 10]
  • Aw c'mon Shabs. It gets eleventy billion points for the iconic opening alone.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Elf I confused the October dates for scores briefly and thought you were being quite harsh.
  • Haha. I should probably ditch the dates. I just like to see how often I watch stuff etc.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    85. See How They Run
    Comedy whodunnit poking fun at Agatha Christie type stories. There are plenty of positives to this - a great cast with Ronan and Rockwell on top form, it is genuinely fun and funny, plus it doesn't overstay its welcome. There were a few moments where they play the obvious joke but handled in such a way as to be 'knowing'. But therein lies the biggest negative; it's far too self referential and not really clever enough to pull it off. It works in small doses but becomes to central to the whole thing, not enough to be farce but too much to be subtle. Still, enjoyed it and it's worth 90 mins on a Sunday afternoon. [6]

86. C'mon C'mon
    Family drama (with a splash of comedy) about an estranged brother who agrees to take care of his nephew for a while. It's quite a slight film in many ways and relies heavily on the main performances. Thankfully the kid is endearing and sympathetic rather than annoying and Phoenix is strong as the uncle, also thankfully not written as a put-upon curmudgeon. It feels very natural, with Phoenix's uncle recording thoughts acting as narration, as we watch the relationship between the two develop. It's also beautifully shot and that lends to the intimate feeling, a great work. [8]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Cos re See How They Run.

I thought the butler was a great turn.

3 bags full Sir.  :)
  • Ah, I've been meaning to watch C'mon C'mon.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    @Cos re See How They Run. I thought the butler was a great turn. 3 bags full Sir.  :)

Heh. A perfect example of a knowing line, too good to pass up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    @Cos re See How They Run. I thought the butler was a great turn. 3 bags full Sir.  :)
    Heh. A perfect example of a knowing line, too good to pass up.
    Spoiler:
  • g.man wrote:
    Aw c'mon Shabs. It gets eleventy billion points for the iconic opening alone.

I loved all that stuff, especially how the editing and shots really conveyed the vampire powers of seduction. I think if they hadn't started the storyline of Sarandon's lab trying to figure out lifespan stuff then I wouldn't have been mad about them not even doing anything with that. Or the police 'storyline'. If it was just a stylish mood piece then I would have gotten on with it more but because of that I felt like there was missed opportunities having Sarandon's character wrestle with the idea that she was so keen to study as a scientist.
  • Cos wrote:
    @Elf I confused the October dates for scores briefly and thought you were being quite harsh.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Haha. I should probably ditch the dates. I just like to see how often I watch stuff etc.

This was the crux of my joke :-/
    The Daddy wrote:
    Can’t wait until next weekend when everything gets 9/10

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

So that's what you meant!  Man, I was scratching my head... elffail

Good one.  Shame I'm too slow.
  • Doing a slack job of updating my list. Up to 94 watched, 60–69 below. Still way off Shabs, the movieman.

60. Old School
    Bunch of thirtysomethings start a frat, hijinks ensue. Not seen this since back when it came out in 2003. Probably best left there, one of those movies from that age and cast that dates pretty badly. 5.5

61. The Crow
    First watch of this, swerved it for years thinking it would be some emo angst fest, quite the opposite... what a film! A stylish and brooding tale of a resurrected rock musician wreaking vengence on his and his fiancee's murderers. Actually quite poignant knowing the fate of Brandon Lee. 8.5

62. Executive Decision
    Pretty by the numbers terrorists in the air action film, but a quite entertaining popcorn movie all the same. Still not quite convinced Poirot could be such a nasty bastard. 7

63. Carriers
    Post apocalyptic pandemic thriller, seemed fairly solid but kinda washed over me a bit. 6.5

64. Dune (2021)
    Expected more from this. Visually impressive and a strong cast but I found my attention wavering and it just felt a bit bland, maybe just not for me. 6.5

65. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
    Weak fifth instalment as Freddy uses a baby's dreams to continue his reign of terror. 5.5

66. Kill Bill: Vol. 1
    Tarantino's stylish homage to martial arts cinema still packs a punch after all these years. 8.5

67. A Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's Dead
    Fairly forgettable sixth instalment as Freddy's reign is 'finally' brought to an end by his daughter. 5.5

68. The Lost Boys
    Iconic 80s black comedy vamp movie, great cast, top soundtrack and always rewatchable. 8

69. Hustle
    Very enjoyable Sandler flick, as his jaded NBA scout gives his all to get a flawed but brilliant Spanish player into the NBA. Cracking basketball action and Sandler gives a very strong performance as the scout with heart and belief. 8.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's Webbins there man.

Your Dune review sucks smelly tiddlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a funny relationship with Kill Bill. At first I liked it. Then I didn't. Now I like it again.

Some of the performances are what make it for me. Michael Parks as the Sheriff and then as the pimp is spectacularly good in it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!