52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • Will get of Splat 3 at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.  Loved the single player in no.2 though, and I'm quite pleased it's still a series of individual missions rather than a grand adventure.  Probably won't bother with that golf game though.

180. Double Dragon Advance - GB Micro (1hr)

Not a series I'm overly familiar with.  I borrowed the Master System port of the original once or twice as a kid (greatstuff), played a stage or two of a NES sequel with retroking and maybe three screens of Double Dragon Neon on XBLA before deleting it.  Other than that I think this cart is my only other exposure to Billy & Jimmy.  I've had it for years, but I can't remember if I ever played it for long.  

It seems to be in with a shout of being considered the definitive version of the original; there's plenty of forgotten gem chatter online if you look for it.  I played while squinting at a GB Micro on my commute this morning it took me two full goes to get to the end (even on easy, with 5 lives and 5 credits) as stages with holes in them can chew through your lives pretty quickly.  Jumping with the shoulder button is awkward, but I had a good time with it for the most part.  Bosses can be a bit disappointing - I'm sure on one occasion a different coloured version of two guys I'd just killed swaggered out of a door to the boss music.  Weapons are probably more deadly in this that any other scrolling beat 'em up I've played, with the double tonfas able to dish out a ridiculous amount of whoop arse.  Overall it's decent.  If it was a GBA release with no history it probably would've been a [7], but as a spruced up retro release it's probably an [8] for the era.  Ergo I give it 76%, thus making complete sense.  It worked in two player with a link cable, which is always a bonus.       

tumblr_mr4uhgIL3D1s1eb5jo1_250.gifv
  • 32. Master of Darkness (GG) - 1hr 53mins 

Shameless Castlevania rip of by SIMS released for the Master System and Game Gear by Sega in 1993.

It's the usual Count Dracula hunt, just like the games that inspired it. Its starts off abit more grounded in reality though. The first level sees you travel up the River Thames in Victorian London, with the first boss being none other than Jack the Ripper. After that it's the more common monsters/spirits that you fight.

The controls are tight, but the level design let's it down slightly when compared to the masters at Konami. You'll find yourself in situations where taking a hit is unavoidable a bit to often.

Graphics are very good for the hardware, the music is OK, not bad but forgettable. Basically if you like Castlevania you'll enjoy this, but at the same time your better off playing any of those over this.

6/10

On a side note the Game Gear version of this is very good compared to the Master System version. Every level is either resized or slightly redesigned in order to be playable of the systems lower resolution/smaller screen. Sonic 1 which I played earlier this year was another example of a Game Gear game being designed right, as oppose the the copy and paste unplayable Master System ROMs that it often got. Yes you Sonic 2.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 135. P.3 - Switch (um....8hrs?)

Another retro styled vertical scrolling shmup.  With a twist though - this one only uses two buttons to fire and steer your ship.  No dpad/stick required, L1/R1 do everything.  You'll always be moving left or right, and when you change direction - or press the direction you're already moving - you fire.  So you have to avoid the walls (most of the time) by snaking around the centre of the screen while positioning yourself underneath enemies for the shmup element.   Switch 'N Shoot is a good reference point, which I managed to get a few badgers to buy a few years ago.  This doesn't have the back to square one element as you restart the level you've reached when you die, and there's also a rogue element to the perks you can claim as you level up.  I spent most of the game thinking the randomised perks were unbalanced, even binning all my progress to reroll once or twice, but by end I had to begrudgingly admit that they did a pretty good job of making it all work.  Just be warned that it's not shy about offering you a useless set of perks.  Or even detrimental, if you're very unlucky.

I found it incredibly difficult, and the fourth level in particular will probably haunt my dreams for a while.  I considered giving up on numerous occasions, but it became a personal challenge that I had to see through.  Plus I managed to get a mate to buy it and he caught me up in one evening :sweat bead emoji:.  It's not perfect but it's better than I had any reasonable right to expect, given that up the screen ultra budget shooters are ten a penny on the EShop (I've played half a dozen of them; this is probably the best if you plan to learn it properly).  

It's down to 89p for the next day or two.  Anyone with a FlipGrip should grab it just for tate mode.  [8].  The euphoria as the last boss fell was priceless and therefore one of my favourite gaming moments ever.  I play a lot of things on easy these days, but this was Big Boy Stuff and I smashed it.  The black borders will probably be etched into my TV forever (guess which dickhead couldn't find his FlipGrip?) but I don't care.

Good review of the IOS version here:

• Yeah, I always assumed Master of Darkness would be a hidden banger.  Got round to playing it a few years ago - it's decent but not as good as the better CV games.
  • Wow better give p.3 a chance at that price.  Looks and sounds great.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    10. Splatoon 3 SP

It dat game. More Splatoon single level throwaway madness, more utterly wild inventiveness. Wanna paint a giant Easter Island head? Let's see you go. Pac Man but Splatoon? Sure. Super Mario Sunshine reference? Uh, why not.

Seriously though, on rails bastard levels aside, this is an absolute delight. Reminds me still of Galaxy at its finest with that formula Nintendo use of concept-> adapt -> twist -> finale or something similar. Each level is around 2-3 minutes long, some even shorter, and as well as introducing you to the mechanics and weapons of the game, they give you a playground to just mess around in for a short time before becoming too bored.

There's now a world map - well, 6 to be precise - and my first order of business each time was sniffing out every secret doodad, whether music tracks or bizarre pages of lore, before beginning each set of levels. My biggest complaint would be the bosses were pretty underwhelming, but that was somewhat mollified by the post game, Champion's Road style challenge.

It's the splat aesthetics dialled up, you'll know where you stand on that, and Nintendo style level design. I just want more of it, but thankfully I've now got the MP and the first Splatfest this weekend to start getting my teeth into - and then that card game too!

What a game.
  • Reminds me, I really need to play Splatoon 2. I'm so far behind on current (last?) gen now I'm seriously considering not buying a PS5 until the 6 is out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s one way to live up to your username.
  • I need to Spla2oon as well. Or shall I just go straight to 3? @regmcfly?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I need to Spla2oon as well. Or shall I just go straight to 3? @regmcfly?

If you're going to play Octo expansion primarily, I still think its the best campaign - and it is nails hard. If you are even considering MP go straight to 3
  • 43: Resident Evil 3 (PC) 9/10

Not sure why I waited so long to play this after loving the RE2 Remake.  This is more of the same to a large extent.  It's shorter but that's not a bad thing as it encourages multiple plays.  I'm not sure If I like it better than 2, (I definitely thought Nemesis was handled better than Mr X though (ie Nemesis popping in every now and then as kind of a set piece, as opposed to X just hanging around)) but I like the multiple routes of Claire and Leon than the combined Jill and Carlos layout of 3.  Either way they're both pretty great and the old survival horror template translates pretty well to a scary third person adventure.

I think a sign I loved a game is when I beat it I'm keen to play everything else in the series (the feeling dims pretty quickly normally!) and that's how I'm feeling now.
  • 43: Resident Evil 3 (PC) 9/10 Not sure why I waited so long to play this after loving the RE2 Remake.  This is more of the same to a large extent.  It's shorter but that's not a bad thing as it encourages multiple plays.  I'm not sure If I like it better than 2, (I definitely thought Nemesis was handled better than Mr X though (ie Nemesis popping in every now and then as kind of a set piece, as opposed to X just hanging around)) but I like the multiple routes of Claire and Leon than the combined Jill and Carlos layout of 3.  Either way they're both pretty great and the old survival horror template translates pretty well to a scary third person adventure. I think a sign I loved a game is when I beat it I'm keen to play everything else in the series (the feeling dims pretty quickly normally!) and that's how I'm feeling now.

Good write up this and I broadly agree.

The 3 remake was a weird one in that X in the remake of 2 kinda cannibalised what Nemesis did in OG 3, forcing them to make him more a set piece boss. As such, 3 feels like even more of an on-rails action ride than it felt before. I don't mind the length and actually prefer action Resi games to be short and replayable rather than too long (looking at you RE4). 

However, OG 3 had a few points where you could make a couple of choices - e.g. fight vs run. They didn't make a huge difference, really, but they did lead to some unique set pieces or weapons. The game was super short, but it did have variation on replays. The X / Nemesis switcheroo was one thing, but cutting the choices mid-game did go a step a little too far into the anaemic, imo, stripping pretty much everything away that made the original unique compared to the other games. 

I like it, I had fun, I think it's good at what it does. But...I also think it could have been a little bit better. 

Also, the dodge is a bit ripe.
  • Nice to read about the original 3 - I only played a little of it back in the day (rented it from Blockbuster Video one week - 5 games for $10AUD!  What a time to be alive!).  I didn't know it had different paths and such; can see how the new one could disappoint in that regard, missing what made it stand out.

Really should play original RE3 - but then again I just plugged in the WiiU and gave RE0 a quick try, and realised the old school controls will take a while to get used to (let alone the saving!).  Might just hold off, given I haven't played 8 and the Gold edition is out soon, then try out 4 Remake.
  • Imagine OG3 is a bit rough to go back to now, but it's short enough that it's maybe not too bad. Would be curious to hear your thoughts if you do get round to it.

Great series, though - should probably copy you and do some replays soon. Enjoy RE0, if you continue.
  • 33. Donkey Kong (GB) - 5hr 50mins 

Wow, what a great game this is. This is the 1994 action/puzzle platformer that starts off with the 4 original arcade levels and then opens up into a 101 level extravaganza.

The levels are spilt into 9 worlds with a decent variety, my personal fav was the Jungle which is a nod to the gameplay of Donkey Kong Jr which I owned as a kid.

The controls are silky smooth and Mario has a good move set of back flips and hand stands which all have their use.

The only negative I can think of is it doesn't really get much harder the further you progress. There's a few random levels that had me stumped for a while, especially on the Ice level but there's no real progression in the difficulty.

This is genuinely one of the best Game Boy games of all time along with Tetris and Zelda Links Awakening.

An absolute joy.

10/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played that recently. Been meaning to catch up my game reviews here. It’s not a 10 for me but it’s really good.
  • 39. The Wandering Village (early access) [7]
    I don't play a lot of city building games, but I rather liked this one. It's a bit different, as you build your settlement on the back of a giant dinosaur which is ambling across a poisoned landscape, and forge a bond with it over time. Early access means it's a little light on features right now, but it's already working well.

40. Soulstice [4]
    This is a character action game which borrows ideas from Bayonetta and DMC, but never seems to grasp the finer points of the genre. At best it's bland, at worst it's a frustrating mess.
  • 136. Resident Evil Village - PS5 (7hrs 51mins)

I've got a strange relationship with the Resi games, in that I don't particularly like them - or at least I don't think I do - and yet I feel compelled to play one every now and then, either to a) test if I do actually like them all of a sudden, or b) because I secretly like them already and just won't admit it.  Told you it was strange.  For a series I'm not fond of, I've played a lot of them.  

List time.  I've played:

Resident Evil (Saturn)
    Resident Evil 2 (Playstation)
    Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast)
    Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
    Resident Evil 7 (PS4/PSVR)
    Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)

...and now this.  I finished them all except Resi 4, which I only played 4-5hrs of (runs for cover) and Resi 7, which I tried in VR but got such extreme motion sickness I got rid of it in a fit of queasiness.  The first version of Resident Evil 2 is probably my favourite, and the only one I bothered to finish with two characters.  The remake was decent, but Mr. X can fuck off.  

I think my main problem with the series is the cumbersome combat/clunky controls.  It's a survival horror staple, but it's the rotten core of the franchise for me.  Stuck in a room with a shuffling enemy?  Slowly manoeuvre around a table to escape.  Missed a headshot on an enemy that's right up in your face?  Don't worry, there's a 180 spin now; the tank can about face on a dime *insert gif of zombie grabbing your back*.  Run out of bullets, or want to conserve the ammo in your...backpack?  Fear not, you've got a knife that's about as useful as shouting smell my cheese.  Survival horrific controls, amirite?  The series has supposedly come a long way - 4 was considered a giant leap, and now they're first person shooters - but the action still reminds me of having to avoid a Tyrant in an airplane cargo hold; fighting the limitations of the controls as much as the beastie itself.  Ray Tracing can bowl about all he likes, these are still PS2 or 3 games at heart imo.

And yet it's these restrictions and previous gen foundations that seem to be the secret of the immutable allure that I can't put my finger on.  Coupled with the bonkers set pieces/boss battles/well designed areas that gradually open up through unlocking doors locked from the other side, or ruby keys for head height gates, or finding cranks/inserting cranks/turning cranks and whatnot, it's hard to deny that the series has an appealing vibe.  I hated this for the first hour or so, but it gradually succeeded in chipping away at my nope.gif face and I ended up enjoying the whole crazy mess.  There are some cracking sections in this one.  The same thing happened with The Evil Within 2, which I played because at some point I must've been craving even more Resident Evil.  Gah!  

I'd happily rip it apart on paper (and I'd love the devs to tear up the template and have a proper crack at updating the franchise), but there's really no point in complaining as I've clearly convinced myself that I do quite like the series, warts and all, after all.  I see the Resi 3 Remake in my future. [7]

rGRzrX4.gif
  • Resi R3make is a cracker. Short, action packed and beautiful. Updated for this gen now too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Resi R3make is a cracker. Short, action packed and beautiful. Updated for this gen now too.

On the flip side its the worst 40 quid I've ever spent. Short, tedious, boring.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you like to set fire to money yes. It'll be about 3 quid per hour of entertainment.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Resi R3make is a cracker. Short, action packed and beautiful. Updated for this gen now too.

On the flip side its the worst 40 quid I've ever spent. Short, tedious, boring.

You shut up, you loved it, you just like it when we disagree as it heats you up.
  • 137. Shovel Knight Dig - Switch (5hrs)

Roguelike spin-off to Shovel Knight that retains the retro perfected controls of the first game and layers a ton of pilfered/borrowed ideas from elsewhere on top.  Mr. Driller is an obvious influence, but there's Downwell, Steamworld Dig, Neon Abyss, Meatboy Forever (in the way that the randomised non-proc gen segments are handled) and, although more of a stretch perhaps, the three coin hunt from NSMB is in here too.  The amalgamation of inspiration has been moulded into a wonderful rogue that hits a little differently to most modern examples of the genre.  It's not a gradual beef-up game for starters.  You'll amass a pool of banked currency which can be spent in town, but the permanent unlocks don't significantly change subsequent runs.  A particular armour is a minor game changer if used correctly, sure, but otherwise additional perks and buffs are mostly chalked off when you return to the surface.  It definitely leans towards 'learn & git gud', rather than 'play long enough to increase your chances of success with drip-fed permanent leg-ups'.  Thankfully it's the perfect length for this approach, with my one successful run so far weighing in at 28 mins total.  There are shortcuts you can pay for, which are useful for learning elements of the later stages, but it didn't take me long to stop bothering with them as warping to the 4th stage with the base stats felt like trying to pay for a bus ride with stamps.  Working your way down from the top while trying not to miss any secret rooms or golden cogs is the way to go imo.  The cog hunt is so good it probably pushes this into [9] territory, although I haven't decided yet.  There are three tucked away on each stage - never hidden, but often tricky to grab as you descend.  Reach the bottom of a stage with one and you get some gems.  If you're holding two you get more gems and a small healing item.  Nab all three and you get the choice of a large healing item or a random perk that stays with you for the rest of your run.  Heal or stat boost is a near-constant consideration.  The cogs are a devious and genius addition which feels pretty essential to the appeal of the (clearly repetitive by nature) gameplay loop.  Super stuff, it's agonising when you miss one.

It's a nice looking game too.  Nitrome have gone for a Shovel Knight but 16-bit approach, which could've gone disastrously wrong but thankfully hasn't.  It's not quite chef's kiss territory as there's something a teensy bit off about some of the sprite design choices for me, but it's damn close and gets a big thumbs up.  Music is excellent, as expected.  One of the tracks sounds like a lost cut from Sonic 3, which is a win in my book.

I think my love for all things Shovelly might be clouding my judgement slightly, so trying to remove myself from that I'd probably have to say £22.49 is pricey for a rogue of this size.  Anyone considering it shouldn't expect a quest that requires the dedication of something like Hades or Dead Cells, for example - it's more of an arcadealikeroguelike (tm), perhaps.  I enjoyed Pocket Dungeon, which was well out of my comfort zone as gem puzzlers aren't my bag for the most part, but Shovel Knight side dishes have been of a very high quality so far, and I'd happily play more.  None should pass. [8]

RepentantEmotionalDunnart-size_restricted.gif
  • 138. Return to Monkey Island - Switch (5-6hrs)

*Minor structure spoilers below*

Massive sigh of relief for this one.  Hyperbolic sentence alert: there's nothing worse than waiting ages for a new version of something you're invested in that massively disappoints when it arrives.  I'll have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Secret of the Ooze, Terminator 3, Shenmue III and the Netflix/BBC Watership Down adaptation on my list please.  On the flipside, isn't it great when something a long time coming lives up to lofty/fanciful expectations?  Blade Runner 2049. Doctor Sleep (ymmv), Cobra Kai (if your mileage varies you're wrong), Streets of Rage 4.  Hopefully John Fullbright's new album, due next month...  Everyone's lists are different, but the 'oh ffs'/'yay' feelings when crushed or relieved are probably similar.

Almost everything about this is a success, from the way it's deeply steeped in nostalgia to the wonderful streamlining of existing elements.  The hint system is superb, and works exactly as intended - it's only a solution system if you're adamant that you want to throw the towel in, otherwise it'll offer a succession of handy nudges and memory joggers.  Guybrush can zip around the screen with a run button now, and each point of interest of each island can be accessed without having to traipse through multiple screens.  Every little helps when you're modernising and outmoded genre, and all these elements help a lot.  

The wit, cheek and swagger are back, all of which were either AWOL or lacking from series entries post Curse imo (although retroking recently reminded me that I enjoyed the first Episode of Tales From, which I've somehow managed to almost completely forget about - I suspect we were drinking while playing).  Puzzles are never quite top tier here, but they're mostly in the upper range of 'good', which serves as a welcome foundation of consistency to the adventure.  Point & Click adventures do have a tendency to be a little all over the place in my experience, none more so than Broken Age, which started well but shat the bed then rolled around in it for a bit before wiping it on the fourth wall.  Return is far more assured for the most part.  Part V was a little disappointing, especially coming straight after the island hopping escapades of the glorious 4th chapter, but the ending made up for it.  

A worthy continuation that ruins nothing and tied a bow on some of my cherished childhood memories, while hopefully creating some for Tilly to remember - she's now played through the first game, part of the second and all of this with me, and walks around quoting dialogue/humming the tunes.  Watching references land for her at the same time as me was great, and she solved her fair share of puzzles.  Love it.  [8]

EQGrtx8.gif
  • 11. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
    Every Saturday evening at six o’ clock, a rockstar dog turns up at the town square of my daughter’s island and plays a concert. The game takes this opportunity to show the player the credits. This is the closest the game comes to ending. Unfortunately, life on the island never ends in my house. We have passed the hump of the mania now. Other games are being played. But at the height of it, Animal Crossing was on every day and when it wasn’t on, the kid was hounding us to put it on. And when she accepted it wouldn’t go on, she was talking about it. She now has an encyclopaedic knowledge of American terms for interior furnishings and fashion items. 

It’s Hell. I haven’t played it much and only under duress. I’m more of an unpaid troubleshooter that comes in and sorts stuff out when the game isn’t doing what she wants. Or there to mop up the tears when someone arbitrary decision by Nintendo renders her plans impossible.  I’ve got a character on the island but he’s a tent-dwelling scrub.

Certain things are impressively put together. And, having never come anywhere near one of these before, I can sort of see the appeal. Like, maybe in the inital stages when there’s quite a bit to do and the upgrades come thick and fast. But it wouldn’t have held my attention for very long. Certainly not the months and months that this kid has devoted to it. 

It’s mainly busy work for rewards I don’t want. In its defence, some of it is pretty inspired. The DLC involves making holiday homes for animals. Some lion wanted a home with lots of toilets. This is what the kid came up with. 
    vNm43zG.jpg
    rOJlogD.jpg
    So it redeems itself slightly in the amount of freedom it gives you to take their tools and run wild with them. I try and appreciate how amazing some of this game would have been to me compared to what was around when I was the same age. But, in summary, I would be happy for this game to completely disappear from existence.
    Hell
  • 12. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (3DS)
    Hard to judge. Meant more as an expansion than a completely new game. I know I liked playing it. But it’s the same game as Shovel Knight with a different character. It had been long enough since playing the first one that it didn’t feel like a retread.

There’s plenty of clever tweaks to the setup to keep it interesting. The music and the levels are the toppest of top-tiers but those are (as far as I could tell) unchanged. You can’t get away from the fact that, in videogames terms, a spade beats a bomb. The powers Plague Knight has though, blasting himself through the air from one side of the screen to the other, are pretty fun. And suspending yourself in mid-air chucking death from above. It makes him slightly OP’d. 

I didn’t really need to experiment with the bomb combinations too much. And switching between them meant going into the menus. The bosses, like in SK, you can cheese through. Apart from the few at the end. It’s slightly mad here. They’re generally harder to hit with bombs. But then you can corner them, spam 6 or 7 bombs down their gob, and half of their energy is gone. 
    I think I gave SK 93 or 94% so, dunno, 87% 

13. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (3DS)
    Better than Plague. No more map, stripped down, reworked levels. Music now remixed so bit of variety but none of them improve on the originals. Really liked it though. Thought it all worked well. The best of the expansions. 90%

14. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
    Mixed feelings on this one, possibly too much of a good thing caning all three of these in a row. The card game adds nothing but it doesn’t force it on you after a point anyway. Levels are bite-size mix-ups of previous and, by the third expansion, well-worn assets and enemies. 

The shoulder-charge into spinny-bounce move is probably the best thing they’ve come up with since the original. This comes with the large qualification that I had a horrendous time with it. You can’t attack without flinging yourself about, and there’s lots of things going on that might damage you, and kill your momentum mid-air and see you drop like a stone. Lots of cheap deaths to be had. Some weird, pinch-points where I was dying over and over. I don’t remember getting quite so frustrated with the previous ones. Very much done with the world of Shovel Knight for the time being. The new one can wait a bit.
    85%

15. Donkey Kong ’94 (Gameboy)
    The quintessential take on the single-screen, get the things, get to the exit, repeat 100 times, platformer that the Gameboy specialised in. It’s pretty good. Although it’s in a bit of a bizarre place. They’ve intentionally not updated Mario’s movement to mid 90s platforming specs but added a load of tricks and moves on the original. So he can do a handstand and catch barrels with his feet but then he can’t eg grab a ladder mid air. Mostly this is in the realms of making a virtue out of the limitations and it all being part of the platforming / puzzling challenge of getting through each level. Key thing is that’s it’s fun. Bite-sized levels that can be cranked through quickly.  
    86%

16. It Takes Two (PS5)
    Played in stints of approx 1 hour over whenever I found myself round one particular mates house. It took months, which wasn’t the optimal way of playing this. This mate is also a cut-scene skipper. It takes two(!) people to skip the cut scenes but when one is pressuring the other, its not like you can sit there and enjoy it. What I saw of the story was pretty good. The game varies on whatever mechanical invention they’ve come up with for that level. Most of them work pretty well. Some of them are great (I think the space level was probably my favourite but difficult to remember), some of them not so great. The puzzles aren’t generally difficult but the different tools they give you keep it fresh.
    90%

17. TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (PS5)
    Disappointing. The existence of SoR4 raises the bar for this sort of enterprise. And it doesn’t get very close. 

Played all of this in 2P co-op so no idea what its like in SP. It’s not a good game though. Which isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy it. The main problem is its very poorly tuned. Nearly all of it is easy. Other bits are tricky because of poor design. The bosses are abysmal until the last couple where things get a bit more interesting. Some of the challenges attached to each level seem horrible to attempt. 

The specials are completely fucked. You can get two special attacks whenever you’ve got the time for the character to do a little pose and say an irritating catchphrase. Which is between every wave of baddies. And even mid boss fight sometimes. None of these are catchphrases are funny and, if you’re maxing the specials out, you’ll hear it twenty times a level. And then you cane through baddies without even trying. You don’t have to use them that much but then you’re trying to even out the game for the developer because they didn’t. 

A lot of it works as throwaway fun. They’re very generous on deciding when the baddy hitboxes are aligned with your character. So even scrubs can get some satisfying stuff going. Did enjoy it. Not good. May play again.
    72%

—. Boxxle (Gameboy)
    Unnumbered because I packed it in 4/5ths of the way through. 
    Push the boxes onto the dots. Repeat 106 times in increasingly complex and convoluted set ups requiring deduction, forward planning, trial and error and lots of shuffling a 2-frame character sprite slowly and labouriously around. All set to a single tune.  You have seen everything the game has to offer by the end of level one. 

It’s pretty severe by modern standards. Desperately needs a rewind feature and a run button. I’d even settle for a marginally brisker walk button. In fairness, it does let you undo your last move, as long as that last move was a box push, instead of pushing the wrong box and then turning and then realising you’ve made a mistake. You’re fucked then. Back to start. Even if you’re a thousand moves deep into the current conundrum.  
    It dosn’t hang around for long before pushing your brain cells. But in the final fifth it gets into the fuck off zone. Not unfair or anything. But the complexity of the solutions, mixed with the tediousness of completing them, mixed with encroaching boredom with the game, meant it was time to can it. It was a good ride while it lasted though.  
    69%

18. Boxboy (3DS)
    I don’t know why I played two box-themed puzzle games in a row but here it is. The only issue I’ve got is it was too easy for too long into the game. New things would be introduced, not explored to their potential and the level is finished before you know it. But modern-Mario style, the more difficult post-credit content resolved this complaint. And all the previous stuff comes back in new combinations and done properly. Really strong. Will play more of these. 
    90%

19. Return to Monkey Island (Mac)
    Very similar thoughts to Moot’s above. 

A few things I’d add is the impressive way they use Guybrush’s narration to stop you going down unproductive rabbit holes.

The hint system is almost perfect. A couple of times I was just slightly off or didn’t execute the thing exactly how it needed it. And it stopped those problems from grinding everything to a halt. 
    Once I was properly stuck (from a red herring the game threw me that I got fixated on) and would still be stuck if I hadn’t looked it up. 

But for the most part everything clips along. You’re never stuck for long. Hunches pay off. A silly monkey island solution I thought of turned out to be the solution.  

My settled position on the artwork is that all the environment work is brilliant. The character sprites and the animation are lame. 

It’s also funny. 

Story talk from part three (and possibly four). 
    Spoiler:
    90%

20. Donkey Kong Country (Snes)
    It’s mostly good but patchy. Some levels are top-tier 16-bit platforming. Some of the graphics are still eye-popping. But there’s a lot of frustrating bits as well. Enemies that pop up out of nowhere. Not completely happy with the responsiveness of the characters through tricky sections. It feels unfair more than it should. Any complaints are neglible by 1990s standards. Holds up pretty well.   
    87%
  • Similar thoughts on Animal Crossing here, I can't stand it. Thankfully Tilly seems to have stopped playing so I no longer have to constantly upset her by refusing to go anywhere near it. At least mini monkey seems to get things done, Tilly just seemed to pootle about on a barebones island full of weeds without ever knuckling down to any actual tasks. I will never, ever touch it in co-op again - I can't handle it from the first ten seconds of play and always have to go on a laborious storage hunt for a vaulting pole/ladder. Horrid.

Love the loo house.
  • Box Boy games are good, the Switch one is similar but worth playing. Co-op too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!