Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Abandoned watching Convict. Just felt like a cardboard cutout film of the "good guy kills someone accidentally and has a bad time in jail" type of thing.   Felt like a straight-to-video affair. Tapped out half way through.   It tried something different with the main character being ex-forces, being of Arab descent, and getting heat from the arab contingency in the jail because he served in Iraq. But I didn't feel it.  It's no Shawshank.

Deadpool 2 (I tapped out of the first one) was entertaining but disposable entertainment. . I suppose that's the intention. The end credits bit was a laugh I suppose and fucked the whole timeline up but again - that's the intention.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    108. MIFF - Bodies Bodies Bodies Final MIFF movie this year was a pretty fun gen-z slasher thing. Had a good crowd for it as it's quite funny at times. Unfortunately it's not scary and the "mystery" seemed pretty obvious and so the middle section really lagged for me. [5] Thanks Cosby!!

Enjoyed your reviews and added quite a few to my list.

I saw the trailer to Bodies at the cinema yesterday and it seemed to be going pretty hard on the send up of overly woke culture, to the extent the trailer made it seem like that was literally the only joke. Can't always trust trailers of course but figured it's quite literally not made for me.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    72. Bullet Train
    Enjoyable but forgettable, except for some absolutely dreadful accents. A few strong action/fight sequences peppered throughout and enough lighter moments to keep it entertaining with Pitt, Taylor-Johnson and Henry strong enough to keep it engaging when it sags (despite aforementioned accents). It is overly long yet somehow still felt rushed at points, probably because too many plot points/characters that were ultimately a bit of a waste. [6]

73. Shadow
    The first Zhang Yimou film I've seen since HoFD and a reminder that he makes gorgeous looking films. This one definitely feels like style over substance though as a pretty threadbare plot is stretched over 2 hours. Not quite the thriller it seems to want to be but the final third definitely picks up when the action kicks off. Not enough to cover the weak points though. [5]

• 109. Eden Lake
    Chavs Gone Wild in this much lower budget looking than I was expecting thriller with not many actual thrills. They got so lucky getting Fassbender just as his career was about to really start, he goes all in as he does. Didn't like this much but interesting to see this director made my fave Black Mirror, Shut Up and Dance
    [3]

And I'd say the jokes on woke in Bodies was the best part. Was a better comedy than horror and it played well in that regard with the crowd
  • I thought Eden Lake was repellent.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • For some reason I thought it was considered good but I didn't get anything out of it. At least your Wolf Creek has a good baddie
  • 59. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Hadn't seen this in ages and my DVD had sat unwatched since I bought it maybe 8 or 9 years ago? Turns out it was actually the Directors cut, which I'd never seen before - but which somehow manages to be even better than I remember the original being. It's an absolutely stunning film - full of thrilling action scenes and stunts, some of which have yet to be bettered, and really great performances from Arnie and Linda Hamilton. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • It really is great.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    For some reason I thought it was considered good but I didn't get anything out of it. At least your Wolf Creek has a good baddie

I absolutely fuckng love that film.. Eden Lake rules
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you want repellent chav horror watch Cherry Tree Lane
  • I think I'll pass on that one thanks.
  • If you want repellent chav horror...
    Is Love Island still on?

• If you want repellent chav horror watch Cherry Tree Lane

Where can I watch this?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely you know what DS’s answer to this will be.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    If you want repellent chav horror watch Cherry Tree Lane

Where can I watch this?

If you can wait til Wednesday I'll up it for ya.

• For some reason I thought it was considered good but I didn't get anything out of it. At least your Wolf Creek has a good baddie

I absolutely fuckng love that film.. Eden Lake rules

Im with DS. A genius film for the sheer level of uneasiness you start to get that doesn't really stop. Great ending too.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I find the hoodie horror stuff a bit grim. F was another one.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I find the hoodie horror stuff a bit grim. F was another one.

Same.
    Far too much of that in reality for it to be enjoyable as a form of entertainment
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Aye. In the bin with the entire genre please.
  • But it's clever because Cherry Tree Lane is where Mary Poppins happened. It's like subverting your white middle class expectations and making a comment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Legend Tom Hardy flexing his acting muscles and the adorable Emily Browning putting it up to him. The support cast is top notch too.

Splendid film but I wouldn't say it's better than the Kemp twins version which is quite a different kind of film altogether and possibly the better for it. Legend is more of a knockabout caper.
  • I never thought much of the Kemp one.  Has its moments I guess.  

Poster for the Hardy boys one is still top cheek:

legend.jpg?width=1200
  • It's so cleverly composed though to be fair.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I never thought much of the Kemp one.  Has its moments I guess.   Poster for the Hardy boys one is still top cheek: legend.jpg?width=1200

Yeah, the use of that 2 star Guardian review is unbelievably cheeky.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I never thought much of the Kemp one.  Has its moments I guess.

I found the Kemp version to be almost creepy. Billie Whitelaw as the mother was a monster.
  • Havent seen the Kemp version in a long time but the Chelsea smile scene sticks in the memory.
    My great uncle used to run with the Krays but I'm pretty sure every East London bloke of a vintage claims the same.
  • g.man wrote:
    Aye. In the bin with the entire genre please.

After Funny Games nothing else really matters. Has any other sub-genre been so utterly and perfectly dismantled?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So Mission Impossible Rogue Nation isn't very good either then? When do they get better again?!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The next one, Fallout, is actually decent.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh wait shit I meant Ghost Protocol was crap. Only starting Rogue Nation now. Verdict TBC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!