Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • I've hovered over that a few times on Shudder.  Will give it a look.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Blood on Satan's Claw is a British 70s horror flick about rural devil worship and it's actually quite good. The story is hokey but an interesting one and one of the scenes in particular - a ritualised killing - is quite disturbing. This is another one I recorded off Talking Pictures channel which has a triple bill every Friday Night and it's proving an interesting source of content. It can be watched here too.  https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/   Of course I can speed through the ad breaks as I have it recorded. It's well acted and shot and shows an early example of what Wicker Man, VVitch and Midsommar have subsequently run with. A clutch of British acting talent to look for which is always fun. Worth a watch I feel.
  • 34. The Big Short - 29/7
    I always find documovies like these where big corps fuck over the little people scary and make me very very angry. Good stuff.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    34. The Big Short - 29/7
    I always find documovies like these where big corps fuck over the little people scary and make me very very angry. Good stuff.
    [8]

Watch Dopesick (not a film but a series) for maximum anger.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Blood on Satan's Claw is a British 70s horror flick about rural devil worship and it's actually quite good. The story is hokey but an interesting one and one of the scenes in particular - a ritualised killing - is quite disturbing. This is another one I recorded off Talking Pictures channel which has a triple bill every Friday Night and it's proving an interesting source of content. It can be watched here too.  https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/   Of course I can speed through the ad breaks as I have it recorded.

It's well acted and shot and shows an early example of what Wicker Man, VVitch and Midsommar have subsequently run with. A clutch of British acting talent to look for which is always fun. Worth a watch I feel.

Have heard of that one. Such a good title. Will be sure to watch it at some point
  • The Gray Man
    Netflix trying to do Bond. Great cast, massive budget, confusingly shot fight scenes and a plot hole at the end. Vacuous but charismatic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I'm a bit of a fan of this - have the original on CD (all 5 phases) and the BBC TV series on DVD. I always told myself not to watch this but I was bored shitless and restless last night and thought this might entertain me.

Dear oh dear oh dear. It's a bloody mess.

The assembled cast is actually rather wonderful, as are their performances but it tries to fit the 1st series into one film which really isn't possible, and the changes that were made to achieve it grate. I find it difficult to believe that anyone unfamiliar with the original would know what the hell was going on.

The Vogon's were great, as were the Pythonesque special effects but the good bits make it all the more frustrating as it hints how great it should have been.

The guide animations were soulless and not as good as the old hand drawn originals the BBC did.  Loved seeing BBC Marvin there as an extra in one scene, but that only made this hurt a bit more. Serves me right.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Think you nailed it there Davy. A well-intentioned shitshow.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    "So long and thanks for all the fish
    So sad that it should come to this
    We tried to warn you all but oh dear"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness  Good Marvel film this. I quite like the character and the job Benedict does. Liked the music fight - weird yet still made sense. :)
  • 35. Solaris (US) - 29/7
    Not as beautiful or as good as Tarkovsky’s adaptation, but a good watch and thought provoking nonetheless. Would love to read the book but apparently the translation is shit.
    [7]

36. Nomadland - 30/7
    Slow to get going but once it does, it is beautiful viewing. Acting was very natural without any melodrama whatsoever which added to the steeped-in-reality feel of the movie. My initial feelings of guilt of living a relatively opulent life have way, after a while, to feelings of fascination and wonder and even curiosity of what such a life would be like.
    [9]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Nomadland is really wonderful. Seems to capture that community so well.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    68. The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
    Pleased for Gilliam that he finally got his Quixote film made but couldn’t help but wonder how his previous failed attempt would’ve compared to this. There’s some great moments but too much just doesn’t really work for me. Driver and Pryce are thankfully on great form, their performances and chemistry by far the best thing here. Entertaining in parts but disappointing as a whole. [5]

69. The Gray Man
    Quite hit and miss. Obviously a fair sized budget behind it but man does it look rough at points. Some poorly shot action sequences in the first half in particular. Someone got carried away with the drone shots too. On the plus side, a great cast shine through and the second half is mostly stronger. Evans hams it up as a great villain, the big set pieces work much better and Gosling finally seems to get some good dialogue. Tainted slightly by a weak ending and plot holes. OTT but enjoyable despite its flaws. [6]
  • Almost twice as many movies as me so far. Respect.
  • 51. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    These films get better and better as the series progresses and this one is a cracker. Some jaw dropping stunts and action sequences, peppered with humour and a great bad guy played by Sean Harris. The entire sequence starting with breaking into the underwater torus and then transitioning to one of the great chase scenes is an absolute masterclass in tension and adrenaline packed action cinema. 9

52. Possum
    Another Sean Harris movie, which could not have been more different from the first in this unwitting double bill. A disturbing, weird, minimalist psychological horror that is like being submerged in a tank of 1970s British Public Information films. It's like Hauntology: The Movie as Harris returns 'home' to a dingy, decaying house somewhere in Norfolk - with some horrifying baggage both metaphorical and literal - to be reunited with his oozing, disgusting, belligerent Uncle Maurice (Alun Armstrong). Both leads are phenomenal, but it's the destroyed beauty of the locations that really creates the uniquely British atmosphere of oppressive/oppressed hopelessness through which Harris's broken man trudges and tries to rid himself of his past. 9

53. Thor: Love and Thunder
    Disappointing. Not as great as Ragnarok and although it has laughs and action aplenty it's a bit too try hard, contrived and silly to be really effective. Crossing the line from action-comedy to try to be comedy-action was a mistake - quite a few of the jokes were real duds and some bits, which were obviously only in there to try and get a laugh, were actively annoying. Zeus was great though. 6
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Another great review of Possum. I'm also in the fan club.
  • 89. Ambulance
    I think Zack Snyder and Michael Bay compete to be the worst big budget Hollywood director currently working. This was fucking shit and just all the worst of Bay all the time. Shouting and sweating for no reason, men being Men, action that makes no sense and is impossible to follow and is not exciting at all, terrible ADR throughout, "humour", no story flow, and distracting camera moves that add nothing to the scene. Utter garbage. One point for Gyllenhaal.
    [1]
  • Sounds good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    35. Solaris (US) - 29/7 Not as beautiful or as good as Tarkovsky’s adaptation, but a good watch and thought provoking nonetheless. Would love to read the book but apparently the translation is shit. [7] 36. Nomadland - 30/7 Slow to get going but once it does, it is beautiful viewing. Acting was very natural without any melodrama whatsoever which added to the steeped-in-reality feel of the movie. My initial feelings of guilt of living a relatively opulent life have way, after a while, to feelings of fascination and wonder and even curiosity of what such a life would be like. [9]

Two splendid films. The US version of Solaris is better than many give it credit for. I've read the book and it really delves into the science of Solaristics. It got a bit impenetrable on occasions but I thought it was fine. I intend to return to it.
  • 90. Prey
    Got free tickets to a preview event. Cool to see this in a cinema instead of streaming except I don't think it was really mastered for theatre viewing, was a bit dim. But it was an okay film. I think I expected it to commit to being a period film more than it did both in direction and script. Didn't need to go full Robert Eggers but maybe semi-Eggers. It also falls into that category of nostalgia film that I don't buy, I like Predator but I don't think the predator is the COOLEST and I think this movie assumes you do which affects the kind of movie it is. Not terrible but nothing special.
    [5]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Predator is a murderous Jonathon Davis.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Controversial but the entire series of Predator movies aren't very good to begin with
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The OG Predator might just be my favourite action film ever made.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The OG Predator might just be my favourite action film ever made.
  • Predator was great fun.  I know it has fans but no.2 was crap imo, and I haven't seen any others.  Was hoping Prey would be a serious tings sequel.  Like an Predator Apocalypto.  Apparently not though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched Predator 2 once, probably close to three decades ago. Don’t remember thinking much of it at the time, but who knows.

I did quite like AvP, but I know I’m alone in that. I remember enjoying Predators too, although it wasn’t great.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Predator OG is one of my most quoted action films. It’s a fantastic action film. Though the sequels are all trash. Will watch Prey as a fan of the OG.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Predator OG is one of my most quoted action films. It’s a fantastic action film. Though the sequels are all trash. Will watch Prey as a fan of the OG.
    Yeah, speak brother!
  • Anytime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!