Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is it where the Russell Crowe looking through the window meme is from?  Is that just a B&B meme?

No, that's from Les Miserables

I was wondering why that bit wasn't in the film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Behind The Curve Documentary examining the phenomenon in the growth in Flat Earth belief.  Follows a handful of the community's luminaries while getting comment from scientists and others on what they they think is happening to cause this take up . There are some insightful views with scientists criticising themselves at times. I started off watching this being annoyed and started to feel sorry for these people. And ended up a bit worried.

The Pit and the Pendulum a 60's followup to The Fall of the House of Usher with Vincent Price in full-on loony mode. A good entertaining film - the horror based again on Poe's obsession with being buried alive. The set designers must have had a ball with this with cobweb ridden secret passages and a long disused torture chamber to present. This is not a production of the original Poe story but it's a good old yarn anyhow more suited to film as the original was quite a simple short tale.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I went to see Mission Impossible 2 at the cinema. It was a bad time.

Stop mumbling
    PSN - minkymu
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

Stop mumbling

Okay. I said IT WAS A BAD TIME.
    Get schwifty.
  • Finished Spiderman: No Way Home. An absolute riot, felt like fanfic gone mad. It didn't all work for me but managed a high average for enjoyment so it goes in the A Tier for Marvels. Even the ending was good.
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Finished Spiderman: No Way Home. An absolute riot, felt like fanfic gone mad. It didn't all work for me but managed a high average for enjoyment so it goes in the A Tier for Marvels. Even the ending was good.
    Spoiler:

It was amazing. Seen it 6 or 7 times now and it still makes me so happy.
    Spoiler:
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Poor guess from me then haha
  • Deffo got me teary eyed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

Stop mumbling

Okay. I said IT WAS A BAD TIME.

Lol. Had a few stand out scenes for me. The lab break in and shoot out(complete with dramatic music before the base jump) the stop mumbling scene and I remember the bikes blowing my mind at the times

PSN - minkymu
  • I also saw MI:2 at the cinema. It's was so bad I didn't watch another one until about 2015.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well it's taken me till 2022 to recover and watch another one...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only watched Mean Streets once before many years ago. Watched it again last night.

Watching it now it feels like a preliminary sketch for Goodfellas. There are even snatches of dialogue that are echoed in the later film. Love that old 70s look of the New York streets.
  • Spiderman: Far From Home.

Really enjoyed No Way Home so I decided to check this one out. An arse backwards approach but it didn't bother me. It's....not as good. Gylennhal is great in it but Mysterio was a bit of a shrug as a villain imo. The action scenes were a bit weak and took a backseat to the teen drama/humour really.

Was fine, but for a fairweather fan it's nowhere near as much silly fun as NWH. Tom Holland is likeable. He'd make a good Marty McFly imo, so I Googled it and it turns out I'm like the umpteen millionth person to suggest this. Laughable casting as Nathan Drake though, JFC.
  • 88. Dash Cam
    I really enjoyed this. Normally I hate obnoxious characters but she played it great and I found her to be over-the-top enough to be funny. Some great set-pieces and effects and I loved where it ended up. Good fun.
    [8]

Saw you watched Wrong Turn, Webbins. Liked it enough? Some great falling stunts in that movie.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shabs is redeemed unlike the other wrong uns on here who disliked Dash Cam. It's great.
  • I hated it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Saw you watched Wrong Turn, Webbins. Liked it enough? Some great falling stunts in that movie.

Aye I did, a strong 7... possibly 7.5, Shabs. I did enjoy the log death and the outro was well done.

It's been so long since I watched the og, back in the days of renting DVDs from Global video...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Possum
    Possum's writer/director is Matthew Holness, best known for creating Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.  As such you'd be forgiven for expecting this to be a tongue in cheek horror pastiche.  You'd be very wrong. Instead it's a dark tale of a broken man, a puppet and Something Terrible. Whilst there are nods to Freudian notions of the uncanny, and tropes you'll have witnessed in horrors before, it's very much its own thing.  Creepy, strange and likely to linger in the memory for quite some time after its finished, this deserves to be considered a classic (though to date it seems to have been largely ignored by all but some of you distinguished people...)

Sean Harris' performance as our damaged protagonist is worth the price of admission alone - he makes the simple act of carrying a bag seem simultaneously weird, foreboding and tragic.  He's matched by Alun Armstrong's turn as Uncle Maurice - a man who somehow seems to ooze through the screen into your living room, his very presence makes you feel unclean.

Absolutely worth watching, though this is horror that festers in the mind, rather than offering the popcorn throwing thrills of jump scares and gore. (My wife, who isn't a massive fan of the latter, thought this was a masterpiece...)

Wings of Desire

I'm slightly surprised I never got round to watching this before. I've had a copy on the shelf for years, but only got round to viewing it after the restored version appeared on Channel 4.  (Not an ideal way to see it - the restoration is great, but if ever there is a film that is undermined by ad breaks this is it.). I think I'd been put off by having seen the American remake.  (City of Angels - with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan - a much more conventional movie that retains the premise, but ditches the rest...

For the uninitiated the film focuses primarily on two angels, one of whom falls in love with a trapeze artist. It's a remarkably poetic film, the plot largely playing second fiddle to words and images, and the challenge of conveying beings who see everything, whilst never being able to experience or truly understand any of it. (Or perhaps the contrast between those who simply record existence - be they angels or filmmakers - and those who live it, or enact change.)

It's a film that's unafraid to play with its form - from repeating Powell and Presburger's trick of angels living in a world of black and white, to having Peter Falk turn up playing a version of himself.  Audio is interesting here too - most of the words heard during the film are the overlaid inner voices of the humans our angels pass, an effect that is initially a little disorientating, but quickly feels natural - with Wenders offering a range from the banal to the profound.

It is a million miles away from the American tearjerker it inspired, slow, poet, elliptical, and oddly moving - even whilst I never really believed its central romance.

Oh, and it's bloody essential for Nick Cave fans.
  • Where'd you see Possum, Tin?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s on Shudder.
    Get schwifty.
  • If you have Amazon Prime you can get a free 30 day trial I think.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Possum is good. Calling it a masterpiece is a bit strong in my opinion, though. A very dark, uncompromising film, for sure.
    Get schwifty.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Where'd you see Possum, Tin?

Amazon Prime - I didn't think we'd paid to watch it, but looks like it's a rental/ available with Shudder, which is odd as we don't have Shudder either...
    Raiziel wrote:
    Possum is good. Calling it a masterpiece is a bit strong in my opinion, though. A very dark, uncompromising film, for sure.

Yeah, I think that's fair.  It's not what I expected it to be - indeed I spent a fair chunk trying to decide what I was expecting. I was speaking to someone the other day who absolutely hated it, mainly because they were expecting something more conventionally "scary".
  • Webbins wrote:
    Saw you watched Wrong Turn, Webbins. Liked it enough? Some great falling stunts in that movie.

Aye I did, a strong 7... possibly 7.5, Shabs. I did enjoy the log death and the outro was well done.

It's been so long since I watched the og, back in the days of renting DVDs from Global video...

Yeah that log moment is a good'un.

I'd also call Possum a masterpiece. It's such a singular and unique film. Unpleasant but you can tell it's exactly what he wanted it to be
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wings of Desire gets Cave right in the Your Funeral... sweet spot. I'm not going to tell you about a girl. "I want to tell you about a girl".
  • Gremill wrote:
    I also saw MI:2 at the cinema. It's was so bad I didn't watch another one until about 2015.

Tbf MI 3 is great

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Blood on Satan's Claw is a British 70s horror flick about rural devil worship and it's actually quite good. The story is hokey but an interesting one and one of the scenes in particular - a ritualised killing - is quite disturbing. This is another one I recorded off Talking Pictures channel which has a triple bill every Friday Night and it's proving an interesting source of content. It can be watched here too.  https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/   Of course I can speed through the ad breaks as I have it recorded.

It's well acted and shot and shows an early example of what Wicker Man, VVitch and Midsommar have subsequently run with. A clutch of British acting talent to look for which is always fun. Worth a watch I feel.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!