Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Shabby can be my wingman anytime.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Page barrel role.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw Soylent Green last night in the cinema.  Was better than I remembered - possibly because it has become more relevant since I last saw this. I've had the DVD for a long time but it must be well over 10 years since I last watched this. This is one of a batch of very good 70s sci-fi films that portray a bleak outlook like Silent Running.  I first saw this on BBC2 way back - when the BBC put stuff like this on.

This is one of the better Charlton Heston performances but the star is Edward G Robinson in his last film. He was dying when this was made and Heston knew it - reportedly the later touching scenes weren't a challenge for Heston to produce tears.

It's set in 2022 - and a polluted world with food shortages, housing shortages, energy shortages , global warming. People walk the streets in masks. It really strikes home watching it today. Corporate greed is a theme running through this too, as is misogeny - Leigh Taylor-Young as "furniture" plays a great support role and has that real classic 70s beauty.

The shock ending may be as well known as the Planet of the Apre but I won't spoil. If you haven't seen this - watch it without googling.

I woke up this morning, put on the Pastoral Symphony and saw the beauty in a pear at breakfast. The tech has aged (it features a Space War arcade cabinet and CRT TVs) but the message has become more unsettling. I recommend watching this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bigging up Top Gun and playing down Midsommar

What have you become Shabs
  • A madman that's what!

I just rate from my enjoyment at the time and not a critical rating of the film. We ordered burgers and had a good time watching 80s silliness
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Public Image is Rotten is a documentary about PIL and John Lydon, the story starting at the end of the Pistols. He opens up in this more than I have seen before and I found it touching in places. It also gives a little bit more of an insight to how he ticks. He is as entertaining, engaging, likable and challenging(in a good way) as always. And all the different PIL lineups are covered and they seem to have got most if not all of them to contribute. Excellent piece.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    41. Rogue One - 8

Enjoyed this far more than on my previous viewing. It’s actually much better than I recall and the space battle at the end is up there with Return of The Jedi. The only miss step for me was putting Vader in it, think that scene was a bit too fan fictiony and not needed.
  • I'd have to watch it again but in my head there's a chance Rogue One is the second best SW film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It really is much better with a re-watch. I was always disappointed with it originally as you kind of know what’s going to happen, but let that go and it’s a solid film.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm blasting through the MIs...

First one is fairly decent, Tommy C looking mighty young, the plot a bit silly ofc, but good fun.

The second is kinda all over the place. The action scenes are ludicrous, and not in a good way.

I'm told 4+ get good again?
  • Yep. Latest one was great, one before that was really good too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Was MI2 the John Woo mess? The whole thing was initially a huge 3.5 hr monstrosity that got cut to ribbons to make it reasonable. And not very well. I’m surprised they haven’t released the full version.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's the one. Really quite bad. The fight scenes are embarrassing.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So I'm blasting through the MIs...
    one is fairly decent.

I'm told 4+ get good again?

Plenty to like in MI3. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a menace.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    MI3 is decent as well I think, better than 2 for sure.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    There you go. What better combination of endorsements could you want.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The Public Image is Rotten is a documentary about PIL and John Lydon, the story starting at the end of the Pistols. He opens up in this more than I have seen before and I found it touching in places. It also gives a little bit more of an insight to how he ticks. He is as entertaining, engaging, likable and challenging(in a good way) as always. And all the different PIL lineups are covered and they seem to have got most if not all of them to contribute. Excellent piece.

I'd never even heard of this so just watched it. Really good that, very enjoyable watch. Love me some PiL.

• Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    67. The Bob’s Burgers Movie
    Never really sure why these type of shows do movies but at least it’s good. A bigger scale story of course but oddly means that fewer of the brilliant smaller characters appear which is a shame. 
    Apart from that it’s pretty strong though, the core cast are superb as always and the writing is great - plenty of hearty laughs, good lines snd store names in the background. If you like the show, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this. [7]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Started 3 and it's definitely a bit less shit
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Spy Who Came in from the Cold I was always disappointed with Richard Burton in films. People who saw him on the stage seemed to have got the best of him. But he is spellbinding in this film adaption of the Le Carre novel and does a great job of conveying the grimy grey shabby business of the cold war. Burton is great as the burned out spy tasked with a last mission.

Cyril Cusack plays "Control" and he is magnificent. He's only on screen for a few minutes but he makes his mark. The rest of the support cast is made up of a who's who of British talent from the 60s not least of all Claire Bloom. Great film. This is a rewatch but it's been well over a decade since I first saw this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    41. Rogue One - 8 Enjoyed this far more than on my previous viewing. It’s actually much better than I recall and the space battle at the end is up there with Return of The Jedi. The only miss step for me was putting Vader in it, think that scene was a bit too fan fictiony and not needed.

I agree - Rogue One improved with a 2nd viewing. It's the only "new" Star Wars film worth bothering with.
  • 49. In The Earth
    Not sure what to make of this. Ben Wheatley's environmental horror is visually stunning, often highly creepy, has some incredible sound design and has a very classic British horror sensibility to it. But is it any good? I'm not sure. I guess I enjoyed watching it? Did I? It definitely felt like it was missing something that would have elevated it to greatness, but I'm too thick to know what it is. 7

50. Master & Commander
    Long overdue rewatch of this ripping seafaring yarn in the best movie franchise that never was. Crowe is great, but then so are the entire cast of convincing salty sea dogs, as they hunt down a French ship that's bigger, faster and more powerful than their trusty boat. Brilliant stuff. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I bloody love Master & Commander, one of those films I don’t think I’d ever get tired of watching. The ‘lesser of two weevils’ bit still gets me.
  • I still haven't watched that. Really should
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's superb.
  • Been tempted by the books.  There's quite a few in the series, I think.
  • Is it where the Russell Crowe looking through the window meme is from?  Is that just a B&B meme?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Watched M:I2 with Nate last night, great, cheesy stuff. Second best of the bunch for me after the first as it all went rapidly downhill from there
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Is it where the Russell Crowe looking through the window meme is from?  Is that just a B&B meme?

No, that's from Les Miserables
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I went to see Mission Impossible 2 at the cinema. It was a bad time.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!