Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Split and Glass back to back last night.

I really enjoyed Unbreakable when I saw it in the cinema so I knew at one point I'd watch these followups. They aren't as good but I enjoyed them sufficiently.

McAvoy's role is incredibly challenging and could have gone very wrong but he made a fine job of it. I suspect the editing helped in in that but he still deserves credit.

I enjoyed these simply because I enjoyed the idea behind the story. I thought at one point it was going to go all CGI and I'm very glad it didn't and everything was very grounded. I also thought the girl was going to let something within her loose at some point but I was wrong in that.

Ultimately the ending had the edge taken off it by the fact that digital footage is proof of nothing. It's a pity that the ending wasn't achieved in another way and I'd have liked to have seen more from Mr. Jackson.

Looks like they used the same actor for Willis' character's son which is nice. I'm wondering if that was all part of the plan.

Enjoyable but I really hope that's it finished.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 36. THE Suicide Squad. New Dumb Friends! Fun and gory, enjoyed it. [8]

37. Black Widow. Solid actioner, now special but entertaining enough. [7]

38. Almost Famous. Great film, can't believe I missed this when it came out. Get the feeling there could be a grittier cut, but I'm glad they kept it reasonably light. [9]

39. Batman: The Long Halloween (Part 1). Decent animated Batman, slow, ponderous, dark. [7.5]

40. Vivo. Lin Manuel Miranda totally wants to be Eminem (but in monkey form apparently). Nowt special but the kids enjoyed it. [6]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:

Still haven't got around to Glass, not sure I can bring myself to commit 2hrs of my life to it.
  • Almost Famous is so, so good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Still haven't got around to Glass, not sure I can bring myself to commit 2hrs of my life to it.

If you really have nothing else to watch.......it's luke warm and a waste of a good idea but it finishes the story - if you're inclined to want to see that, it does the job. Feels almost TV movie-esque.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    #unfit:The Psychology of Donald Trump  An interesting watch, especially from a distance of some time now. This doc ends mid COVID last year so it didn't have the madness of the transfer of power to comment on, but watching it now, one can see how those events were almost predicted due to the analysis of Trump.

I'm always wary of Trump bashing because it's the popular thing to do , but there are plenty of speakers from the Republican side, some who worked with Bush Snr. in the 80s

They also end up comparing him to Hitler which is something one should always baulk at but it's done as a historic study, showing how demagogues get into power.

Taking everything into account, I consider it a reasonable analysis of the man given the evidence that is available and it would have been chilling to watch this 12 months ago.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm always wary of Trump bashing because it's the popular thing to do

Or just the only reasonable reaction to seeing the things he said and did.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm always wary of Trump bashing because it's the popular thing to do
    Or just the only reasonable reaction to seeing the things he said and did.

I know what you mean. But I always try to not react too quickly when a known arsehole does another arseholery thing.
  • 75. When Harry Met Sally
    I mean, it's the best rom-com right? Like there's other good ones but this is pretty much perfect. I think it's because it's 1.5 hours of dialogue, no silly gimmicks or scenarios, just 2 people getting to know each other.
    [10]
  • 75. When Harry Met Sally
    I mean, it's the best rom-com right? Like there's other good ones but this is pretty much perfect. I think it's because it's 1.5 hours of dialogue, no silly gimmicks or scenarios, just 2 people getting to know each other.
    [10]

Completely agree, it's wonderful. Such brilliant writing and perfect casting.
    One of the all time greats.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like a rom com and embarrassed to say I’ve never seen it. Was always put off because that scene became so over mentioned and used everywhere.
  • Can't recommend it enough. It's one of those rare films in which the relationship between the two leads is so utterly believable that you just totally go with it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I hate rom coms with a passion, but I quite liked WHMS.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s an all-time great, regardless of genre.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never seen When Harry Met Sally.

Have been to that deli though. Katz's in New York. :)
  • 57. Snatch
    Jason Statham can actually act, Stephen Graham in his first film role and Brad Pitt having a whale of a time. It's very funny and I think it's Ritchie's finest hour. 8

58. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood
    One of the best films I've seen in a loooong time. Both leads are amazing and it's possible over of the funniest films I've seen in ages. Sublime. 10.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Glad somebody else liked it!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked it too.
  • I must get round to having 3 hrs to sit through it. I have not seen hateful 8 either
    PSN - minkymu
  • I think there's an episodic H8 on Netflix.  Or somewhere anyway.  Might be worth a look.
  • I might hunt that out
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hateful 8 is such fun simply because of the cast. Most of the old pals are there together playing off one another.

When QT#10 drops I'd consider a boxset purchase.
  • Glass
    After enjoying Split I wanted to watch this and Davy giving it a watch the other day reminded me I should get on it.
    It mostly just reminded me that I never really liked Unbreakable. What is good of Glass is from Split, mainly McAvoy but also his character and story.

Its not a terrible film but very skippable.

Of the trilogy of films I would recommend Split but the other two I wouldn't bother with.
  • Also how much was Willis on set for Glass?
    I've heard he is $1mil per day and doesn't give a shit these days.

I noticed in Glass there is a fair amount of time where his face is obscured.
  • I watched Fast and Furious 9 last night with the kids. It's not often I'm lost for words but it is clearly the most ridiculous film I think I have ever seen since Armageddon
    Spoiler:
    The film is seemingly obsessed with super powered electromagnets and uses them in every conceivable way which in itself is a bit random for a car film.

What is more impressive is that after reading the plot they got Helen Mirren and Charlise Theron to sign up to it.

Some of the set pieces are good fun (There's a few good chases in and around Edinburgh)
    and the kids loved it. Not sure it was aimed at me tbf but I'd recommend people watch it just for the sheer wtf is going on spectacle !
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    .....What is more impressive is that after reading the plot they got Helen Mirren and Charlise Theron to sign up to it...

Helen Mirren was in Caligula remember...she does her fare share of garbage but I reckon she loves it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Also how much was Willis on set for Glass? I've heard he is $1mil per day and doesn't give a shit these days. I noticed in Glass there is a fair amount of time where his face is obscured.

Willis splits opinion but the grumpier he gets and the less he cares the more I love it. His low key world weary performance suited the character which is why I liked Unbreakable. I was kind of disappointed that Glass starts off showing him organised enough to fight crime.
  • davyK wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    .....What is more impressive is that after reading the plot they got Helen Mirren and Charlise Theron to sign up to it...

Helen Mirren was in Caligula remember...she does her fare share of garbage but I reckon she loves it.

They were both in previous ones. Would be pretty fun to turn up for a few days of shooting and get paid a mint right? Plus Theron has one of the best lines in the film
  • 76. Notting Hill
    Should probably have avoided rom coms for a while after wHmS but here we are. A film that's 30 mins longer than that one but in which it feels like the two leads barely know each other. Maybe less "umms" and "ahhhs" would have cut down the run time.
    [5]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!